Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Poppy Ban (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/poppy-ban-59774.html)

gynn 07-11-2011 02:38

Poppy Ban

What do you make of this?

England stars banned from having poppy on their kit | Mail Online

Defies belief, doesn't it.

Let's hope the Border Agency stop that odious little man Blatter when he arrives at Heathrow and turn him back as an undesirable alien.

cashman 07-11-2011 07:51

Re: Poppy Ban

I would hope the players ignore this ban n wear em.:mad:

Wynonie Harris 07-11-2011 09:26

The FA should show a bit of backbone here and tell the players to take to the field wearing 'em anyway. But obviously, they won't. :rolleyes:

jaysay 07-11-2011 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 945706)
I would hope the players ignore this ban n wear em.:mad:

Wouldn't be allowed to wear a conventional one with a pin cashy elf and safety ya know

jaysay 07-11-2011 09:29

Don't think FIFA's argument flies really with regards to other nations wanting to do the same

lancsdave 07-11-2011 09:30

The easiest way round it is to offer Blatter a bigger bribe

mobertol 07-11-2011 11:51

Why did they have to ask? I bet no-one would have noticed if they'd just turned up with shirts + poppy emblem...

Blatter is a bit of a hate figure -something about his name? I was told an annecdote about him by an adult student of mine some years ago which shows him in a nice light...She was the secretary of one of the top management of SKF in Italy, at a conference she was taking a lift and was hurled out of the way by a couple of Seth Blatter's body-guards. He saw what happened and stopped to ask if she was OK and apologised -he asked her name. That evening when she got back to her room there was a massive bouquet of flowers awaiting her and a hand-written apology... He can't be all bad!

davemac 07-11-2011 21:52

its the dilution of national pride, we are told you cant wear poppies on the field, staff cant wear poppies in the shop. certain groups mock the heros who return from afghanistan, burn poppies. what happens, a lot of tutting but no real action from the authorities.

lancsdave 07-11-2011 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 945910)
its the dilution of national pride, we are told you cant wear poppies on the field,

This isn't a national issue though. In actual fact the FA make all premier league clubs wear a poppy shirt every year.

davemac 07-11-2011 22:08

the banning of poppies generaly is though, its a combination of two threads, this one, and the banning of poundworld and bodycare staff from wearing them. so I wasn't just commenting on football but the poppy issue accross the board.

Bonnyboy 07-11-2011 22:48

Get your poppy and wear it with pride, as they say, whoever you are whatever your job.

Not sure about those "blinged up" ones I'm seeing on X Factor or what the celebs seem to have. Having said that, if they cost more and all the proceeds go to into the same cause it has to be all good.

jaysay 08-11-2011 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnyboy (Post 945936)
Get your poppy and wear it with pride, as they say, whoever you are whatever your job.

Not sure about those "blinged up" ones I'm seeing on X Factor or what the celebs seem to have. Having said that, if they cost more and all the proceeds go to into the same cause it has to be all good.

Totally agree Bonnyboy, notice on presenter on BBC Breakfast with a glittery one, when you buy a poppy its a mark of respect, there isn't a price put on the poppy its a matter of what you can afford, yet these glitzy poppies being worn by some celebs is more about them telling the public that they have contributed to the appeal, to me just an ordinary poppy would suffice, no matter what you contribute be it £1 or £100 its the action of buying one that counts not how much you want other people to think you've paid for one

groove 08-11-2011 13:54

Groove understands that FIFA have a blanket ban on any emblem that could be seen as political/religous. Although Groove wears his poppy with pride, he defies the desire to be outraged at every opportunity. The Royal British Legion accepted this decision with a dignified equiesce(sp).....for example, what if a country like Iraq, EIRE, Argentina etc decided to honour they're fallen heroes similarly. Groove noted that the Daily Mail were first to run with this story, a newspaper reknowned for its xenophobic propoganda.

mobertol 08-11-2011 14:03

Quote:

I bought a tiny metallic one in Accy library last week - no-one knows what they are over here in Italy but it gets people curious and some have asked where they can get one!

Margaret Pilkington 08-11-2011 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 945731)
Wouldn't be allowed to wear a conventional one with a pin cashy elf and safety ya know

Why couldn't the England team wear an armband with a poppy on it?
No health and safety issues there.
Or wear a vest with a poppy printed on it......all the England team to remove their shirts at the end of the match(which most of them do anyway) and show their pride for the bravery of past and present service people.

Pudwoppa 08-11-2011 15:55

Premiership clubs have had embroidered badges on the front of their kits - no health and safety worries there. The England team should call their bluff and turn up with Poppy emblems anyway. What would happen? Would love to see them trying to defend a decision to stop the match on that basis.

lancsdave 08-11-2011 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pudwoppa (Post 946069)
What would happen?

Lets face it they only fine countiies like Bulgaria about £750 for racially abusing England players. If other nationalities feel abused by the poppy then fine England the same amount. Stupid corrupt organisation

Blatter is Swiss anyway, didn't they run and hide during the war ?

jaysay 08-11-2011 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 946089)
Lets face it they only fine countiies like Bulgaria about £750 for racially abusing England players. If other nationalities feel abused by the poppy then fine England the same amount. Stupid corrupt organisation

Blatter is Swiss anyway, didn't they run and hide during the war ?

To be honest I don't think Blatter can run his nose

cashman 08-11-2011 18:22

Think the England players should respond to this stupidity, by having "Removable Tattoos" -Poppys on there foreheads, imagine the media fuss if they did, would make Blatter really look the clown he is.

jaysay 08-11-2011 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 946109)
Think the England players should respond to this stupidity, by having "Removable Tattoos" -Poppys on there foreheads, imagine the media fuss if they did, would make Blatter really look the clown he is.

He' already one of them

wallop79 08-11-2011 22:02

Quote:

Last year when talking to the poppy seller, he mentioned these blingy poppies & said they receive very little in monetary donations from the sale of these. They are on the British Legions website this year & costs range from £15 & £50, if they got every penny for every sale fair enough, but i'll stick to the 'normal' type.

Wynonie Harris 09-11-2011 16:39

FIFA have now said that the players can wear poppies on their black armbands.

grannyclaret 09-11-2011 16:42

. . . l\__\ In Flanders fields
___ l\l … l___ .the poppies blow
l\___\l … l___\ .Between the crosses
\l____ … ____l. row on row.
. .. .l\l … l.. . We are the Dead.
. .. .l\l … l. Short days ago,we lived,
. .. .l\l … l… ︵ ︵ felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
.. . .l\l … l…( ₍ ❀ ₎ ) … Loved and were loved,
.. . .l\l … l… ︶ l︶… …and now we lie
. .. .\l___l .\l/▕∕⁀ \l/…In Flanders fields.
”‘ “ ‛ ”‘ “ ‛ ” ‘ “ ‛ ” ‘ “ ” ‘ “ ‛ ” ‘ “ ‛ ” ‘ “ ‘ “ ‛‘ “ ‛‛
Lest we forget

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WEAR YOUR POPPY WITH PRIDE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

jedimaster 09-11-2011 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by grannyclaret (Post 946309)
. . . l\__\ In Flanders fields
___ l\l … l___ .the poppies blow
l\___\l … l___\ .Between the crosses
\l____ … ____l. row on row.
. .. .l\l … l.. . We are the Dead.
. .. .l\l … l. Short days ago,we lived,
. .. .l\l … l… ︵ ︵ felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
.. . .l\l … l…( ₍ ❀ ₎ ) … Loved and were loved,
.. . .l\l … l… ︶ l︶… …and now we lie
. .. .\l___l .\l/▕∕⁀ \l/…In Flanders fields.
”‘ “ ‛ ”‘ “ ‛ ” ‘ “ ‛ ” ‘ “ ” ‘ “ ‛ ” ‘ “ ‛ ” ‘ “ ‘ “ ‛‘ “ ‛‛
Lest we forget

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WEAR YOUR POPPY WITH PRIDE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

now that brings back memories, reciting that poem over and over again at essex farm on the battlefields tours.

shillelagh 09-11-2011 23:26

this was posted by one of our members on facebook ...

PLEASE WEAR A POPPY.

"Please wear a poppy," the lady said
And held one forth, but I shook my head.
Then I stopped and watched as she offered them there,
... And her face was old and lined with care;
But beneath the scars the years had made
There remained a smile that refused to fade.

A boy came whistling down the street,
Bouncing along on care-free feet.
His smile was full of joy and fun,
"Lady," said he, "may I have one?"
When she's pinned in on he turned to say,
"Why do we wear a poppy today?"

The lady smiled in her wistful way
And answered, "This is Remembrance Day,
And the poppy there is the symbol for
The gallant men who died in war.
And because they did, you and I are free -
That's why we wear a poppy, you see.

"I had a boy about your size,
With golden hair and big blue eyes.
He loved to play and jump and shout,
Free as a bird he would race about.
As the years went by he learned and grew
and became a man - as you will, too.

"He was fine and strong, with a boyish smile,
But he'd seemed with us such a little while
When war broke out and he went away.
I still remember his face that day
When he smiled at me and said, Goodbye,
I'll be back soon, Mom, so please don't cry.

"But the war went on and he had to stay,
And all I could do was wait and pray.
His letters told of the awful fight,
(I can see it still in my dreams at night),
With the tanks and guns and cruel barbed wire,
And the mines and bullets, the bombs and fire.

"Till at last, at last, the war was won -
And that's why we wear a poppy son."
The small boy turned as if to go,
Then said, "Thanks, lady, I'm glad to know.
That sure did sound like an awful fight,
But your son - did he come back all right?"

A tear rolled down each faded check;
She shook her head, but didn't speak.
I slunk away in a sort of shame,
And if you were me you'd have done the same;
For our thanks, in giving, if oft delayed,
Thought our freedom was bought - and thousands paid!

And so when we see a poppy worn,
Let us reflect on the burden borne,
By those who gave their very all
When asked to answer their country's call
That we at home in peace might live.
Then wear a poppy! Remember - and give!

As far as im concerned FIFA can go and take a running jump .... a poppy is not a commercial, political or religous symbol ... and if they cant see that .. well they aint worth dealing with ...

grannyclaret 10-11-2011 01:20

I read that one too Jen,,,,so sad,,,xxxx

shillelagh 11-11-2011 15:23

wheres accywebs poppy?

Tealeaf 11-11-2011 18:11

This is an email I received this morning:

In May 2010 Tohseef Shah spray painted a British War Memorial with "Islam will dominate Osama is coming" he was fined £50 & walked free from court.

In November 2010, Emdadur Choudhury burned a Poppy during the 2mins silence. He too was given a fine, £50 and walked free from court.

Today, 2 men have been sentenced to 12 months in prison for spray painting a Poppy on a mosque. Pass this on if you think it’s a disgrace

Ex EDL members targeted Hartlepool mosque and Shotton Colliery store (From Durham Times)

I should add that the title of the email was 'Equality before the Law' and the content that people should receive a similar punishment for a similar offence.

jaysay 11-11-2011 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 946969)
This is an email I received this morning:

In May 2010 Tohseef Shah spray painted a British War Memorial with "Islam will dominate Osama is coming" he was fined £50 & walked free from court.

In November 2010, Emdadur Choudhury burned a Poppy during the 2 mins silence. He too was given a fine, £50 and walked free from court.

Today, 2 men have been sentenced to 12 months in prison for spray painting a Poppy on a mosque. Pass this on if you think it’s a disgrace

Ex EDL members targeted Hartlepool mosque and Shotton Colliery store (From Durham Times)

I should add that the title of the email was 'Equality before the Law' and the content that people should receive a similar punishment for a similar offence.

Seems about par for the course T the police and courts are scared to death of offending our overseas friends:mad::mad:

groove 12-11-2011 12:58

Groove is wondering why such a big thing has been made about the England team being unable to wear poppys in todays game. Groove is bemused such an occasion as never arose before when England have played on or around this date-12/11.05 v Argentina being one off the top of gooves head. Groove thinks this is a cynical attempt by the FA to deflect attention from the John Terry racist controversy. Groove welcomes any other suggestions as to why this is a major issue as opposed to previous years.

steve2qec 12-11-2011 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by groove (Post 947123)
Groove is wondering why such a big thing has been made about the England team being unable to wear poppys in todays game. Groove is bemused such an occasion as never arose before when England have played on or around this date-12/11.05 v Argentina being one off the top of gooves head. Groove thinks this is a cynical attempt by the FA to deflect attention from the John Terry racist controversy. Groove welcomes any other suggestions as to why this is a major issue as opposed to previous years.

Interesting theory.

accyman 13-11-2011 13:41

a local co-op chemist in accrington banned the wearing of poppies because most of their customers are asian and they get offended by it.

I think its the one near ormerod street.

what asians should remember is that if hitler had won the war asians woldnt be around to complain as he would have wiped them out along with any other group that didnt meet his criteria of been worthy to live

jaysay 13-11-2011 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve2qec (Post 947214)
Interesting theory.

Glad you think so;)

groove 14-11-2011 06:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 947617)
Glad you think so;)

Groove wonders what does Jaysay think? Go on cleverclogs, why is ths such an issue this year as opposed to other years?

gynn 14-11-2011 07:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by groove (Post 947123)

It is an issue this year because it has become a custom only in the past couple of years for football tems to wear poppies woven into their shirts. I never remember teams wearing poppies before that, although things like the two minutes silence were observed.

The FA clearly wanted to extend a very laudable custom to the England team, and came up against the FIFA rule. I don't think it has anything whatsoever to do with the John Terry racist comments, which are being dealt with by the football authorities and police.

grannyclaret 14-11-2011 08:46

I will still be wearing my poppy today,,not because i cant be bothered to remove it ,but because just like birthday cards etc,,i still leave them up for a week after the event,,

garinda 27-11-2011 17:33

On dear.

What a shame.

Blackburn poppy tin thief jailed for a year (From Lancashire Telegraph)

jaysay 27-11-2011 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 952241)

The only trouble is the scumbag will be out in three months:mad:

wallop79 27-11-2011 21:18

The scum should have had his hands cut off, and his forehead branded with the word scum

Mancie 27-11-2011 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by wallop79 (Post 952313)
The scum should have had his hands cut off, and his forehead branded with the word scum

:D brilliant..makes me wonder why we are fighting the Taliban when they have the same outlook on punishment as what the British Public want :D

garinda 27-11-2011 22:10

Good lookin' geezer, it's got to be said.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk.../?type=display

I wonder if there's any stupid tarts, the sort that write to Peter Sutcliffe, or murderers on death row, putting pen to paper this very minute.

I'd sincerely like to hope not.

garinda 27-11-2011 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 952329)
:D brilliant..makes me wonder why we are fighting the Taliban when they have the same outlook on punishment as what the British Public want :D

We all remember.

It's difficult for you.

For you it depends on the amount stolen, before deciding whether justice should be served.

:rolleyes:

garinda 27-11-2011 22:17

Quote:

I suppose you're with your mate Cameron on this one?

All he really needs is a nice little hug?

http://www.punjabigraphics.com/wp-co...smiley-hug.gif

Mancie 27-11-2011 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 952341)
We all remember.

It's difficult for you.

For you it depends on the amount stolen, before deciding whether justice should be served.

:rolleyes:

Nothing to do with the amount stolen.. and it's not difficult for me to not tag along with morons who want to cut off peoples hands and then be the first to scare us about Shari law being imposed... if you think justice is served by amputation do what you usually do... give us another chance to vote in another of your umpteen polls.:)

Mancie 27-11-2011 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 952340)

Where did you get the wig from? :D

garinda 28-11-2011 04:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 952348)
Nothing to do with the amount stolen.. and it's not difficult for me to not tag along with morons who want to cut off peoples hands and then be the first to scare us about Shari law being imposed... if you think justice is served by amputation do what you usually do... give us another chance to vote in another of your umpteen polls.:)

Personally I don't happen to believe in in religious justice.

After all the Bible's full of 'crimes', which prescribes death as a punishment for various offences.

Someone who chooses to take heroin, and who is then steals from a charity like the British Legion, should be removed from society for as long as it takes for them to rid themselves of their addiction.

If they're too weak to do this, I'd happily let them rot there forever, kept away from decent society.

jaysay 28-11-2011 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 952352)
Personally I don't happen to believe in in religious justice.

After all the Bible's full of 'crimes', which prescribes death as a punishment for various offences.

Someone who chooses to take heroin, and who is then steals from a charity like the British Legion, should be removed from society for as long as it takes for them to rid themselves of their addiction.

If they're too weak to do this, I'd happily let them rot there forever, kept away from decent society.

You could start a poll as Mancie request Rindi,
Question:- is mancie a divvy vote yes, no, not sure, don't give a monkey's:D

Acrylic-bob 28-11-2011 11:50

It is interesting to note that the Haig Fund (poppy collection) supports Service members, and their families, injured or killed in Afghanistan, among other conflicts and wars.

Mason is a Herion addict.

Herion is an opiate made from the juice of the opium poppy and is a major export of Afghanistan.

From Wikipedia:
"In 2007, 92% of the opiates on the world market originated in Afghanistan. This amounts to an export value of about $4 billion, with a quarter being earned by opium farmers and the rest going to district officials, insurgents, warlords, drug traffickers"

What a complicated place the world has become.

accyman 28-11-2011 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob (Post 952407)
It is interesting to note that the Haig Fund (poppy collection) supports Service members, and their families, injured or killed in Afghanistan, among other conflicts and wars.

Herion is an opiate made from the juice of the opium poppy and is a major export of Afghanistan.

From Wikipedia:
"In 2007, 92% of the opiates on the world market originated in Afghanistan. This amounts to an export value of about $4 billion, with a quarter being earned by opium farmers and the rest going to district officials, insurgents, warlords, drug traffickers"

good point AB now lets start executing addicts for commiting treason by funding the taliban :D

garinda 28-11-2011 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob (Post 952407)

From Wikipedia:

Fair Trade.

;):D

jaysay 28-11-2011 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 952435)
good point AB now lets start executing addicts for commiting treason by funding the taliban :D

Um um um:D

wallop79 28-11-2011 21:35

Quote:

I dont think you understand the public outcry at what this scroat did, its dispicable stealing, but to rob from charity is disgusting. I also think you have forgotten that at one time the UK used to hang people, stocks, rack, etc, etc. I for one would love to see this barsteward hang he is a waste of space, a drain on society & public resources & money. No-one made this prat take drugs, its self inflicted, do the crime do the time. But as we all know the British Justice System is a joke, people know they aren't going to be punished so they might as well do the crime. That is why I for one would love to see more severe punishments i.e cut the barstewards hands off, it might make him & others think before they committed such dispicable acts if they knew what the outcome would be, instead of a spell in one of Her Majesties holiday camps.

cashman 28-11-2011 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by wallop79 (Post 952607)
I dont think you understand the public outcry at what this scroat did, its dispicable stealing, but to rob from charity is disgusting. I also think you have forgotten that at one time the UK used to hang people, stocks, rack, etc, etc. I for one would love to see this barsteward hang he is a waste of space, a drain on society & public resources & money. No-one made this prat take drugs, its self inflicted, do the crime do the time. But as we all know the British Justice System is a joke, people know they aren't going to be punished so they might as well do the crime. That is why I for one would love to see more severe punishments i.e cut the barstewards hands off, it might make him & others think before they committed such dispicable acts if they knew what the outcome would be, instead of a spell in one of Her Majesties holiday camps.

Thats were yeh lose out Mancie, People wish these things,due to being irate,at the joke our justice system has become, n who do yeh think bears the bulk of the blame fer how its become?:rolleyes:

garinda 28-11-2011 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 952614)
Thats were yeh lose out Mancie, People wish these things,due to being irate,at the joke our justice system has become, n who do yeh think bears the bulk of the blame fer how its become?:rolleyes:

Three terms of Labour governments?

Who were about as tough as damp bog roll, when it came to crime?

With the government more interested in protecting the Human Rights of criminals, over any rights the victims of crime might have?

Which saw scrotes who were here illegally, and who mowed children down in Lancashire streets, but who were allowed to remain here, free from any justice?

Things like that?

Oh I see now, what you mean...but Mancie will be unable to see it.

Gotcha.

;)

cashman 28-11-2011 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 952625)

With the government more interested in protecting the Human Rights of criminals, over any rights the victims of crime might have?

Which saw scrotes who were here illegally, and who mowed children down in Lancashire streets, but who were allowed to remain here, free from any justice?

Things like that?

Gotcha.

;)

See it or not,n it gives me no pleasure at all to say it but yer right.

garinda 28-11-2011 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 952630)
it gives me no pleasure at all to say it but yer right.

Me neither.

Still makes me spit feathers.

:mad:

phil8715 28-11-2011 23:00

If they chopped both his arms and hands off he wouldn't be able to shoot up his heroin.

That would be a bit of a result of sorts.

Less 28-11-2011 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil8715 (Post 952642)
If they chopped both his arms and hands off he wouldn't be able to shoot up his heroin.

That would be a bit of a result of sorts.

He would get a very nice disability allowance and a carer to go out get his drugs and inject them for him.
Whatever we do, we are in a lose, lose, situation.

jaysay 29-11-2011 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 952625)

Things like that?

Gotcha.

;)

Wasn't it Tony Blair's finest act in politics when he signed the European human rights act, not my words his, but in this case I don't think that should save the low life, he's hardly human:mad:

jaysay 29-11-2011 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 952645)
He would get a very nice disability allowance and a carer to go out get his drugs and inject them for him.
Whatever we do, we are in a lose, lose, situation.

Took the words out of my mouth Less, where these people are concerned its always a lose, lose situation

Rowlf 25-09-2017 14:05

Thank goodness FIFA have lifted the ban on the wearing of Poppies on team shirts. It was a stupid idea of theirs .How on earth they equated the poppy with a political emblem I do not know. England was fined £35.000 but I understand it was not paid and has now been wavered. FIFA should have been fined for coming up with such an outrageous rule.

cashman 25-09-2017 14:22

F.I.F.A. should be in the circus, as CLOWNS.:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 25-09-2017 14:37

They couldn't even do that Cashy...they are too daft to laugh at.