Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Thresther (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/thresther-60151.html)

Retlaw 14-12-2011 22:37

Thresther

Had a problem last Friday, my thresher broke, went to Homebase, didn't have a clue what I was after, suggested Screwft, tried them, and after 20 mins one searching the computer, the other seaching their catalogue, they couldn't help either, so I promised them when I got a new one, I would use the old one as a suposistry on the pair of them. Went round to Whewells, no they hadn't had any for 5 years, tried Jewsons, same story they'd never heard of them, try thowd chap in timber store, he knew what I wass after, but they had none.
Came home, and after as search on the net, finally found what I was after.
Stormguard Rain Drips & Door Seals @ JAS Hardware Suppliers Blackburn Lancashire North-West UK. / JAS Timber / Timber Doors Windows Stairs Pine Furniture Kitchens Blackburn Lancashire UK
Got one today, paid a visit to Screwfit on my way back, they don't like it upem.
Retlaw.

MargaretR 14-12-2011 23:04

Re: Thresther

1 Attachment(s)
Its a while since I heard one called that.
They probably thought you were looking for agricultural machinery.:D

Benipete 15-12-2011 10:53

Better known now as Door Sills but they still should have understood what you meant.:rolleyes:

Have you put fresh straw down for Christmas?:D:D

Retlaw 15-12-2011 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 956009)
Better known now as Door Sills but they still should have understood what you meant.:rolleyes:

Have you put fresh straw down for Christmas?:D:D

Thats the next job, they are not door sills Screwfit had a lot of those, but they were no good for what I wanted.

susie123 15-12-2011 11:58

Never heard the word except in connection with agriculture. Should it be thrreshold? Screwfix have a lot of those on their website. From the website you posted Walter it looks like what you wanted is called a rain deflector.

cashman 15-12-2011 12:38

nah it was always Thresher susie. back in the day.:)

Retlaw 15-12-2011 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 956018)
Never heard the word except in connection with agriculture. Should it be thrreshold? Screwfix have a lot of those on their website. From the website you posted Walter it looks like what you wanted is called a rain deflector.

That may be what they call them now for posh folks, but when I fitted the first one 40 odd years ago they were called threshers, when I went to Whewells, he immediately knew what I wanted, when I went to JAS Timber he knew what I wanted.
Lots of things have changed over the years, dust bin chaps are now called Refuse Disposal Officers, but they still empty dustbins, only they now call them wheely bins.

Retlaw

steve2qec 15-12-2011 12:58

Definately thresher, I imagine it's a corruption of the threshold which was used to keep the straw on the floor in houses in days past.

Benipete 15-12-2011 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve2qec (Post 956022)
Definately thresher, I imagine it's a corruption of the threshold which was used to keep the straw on the floor in houses in days past.

As always the clue is in the name,It was used to hold the straw (thresh) in place.

Hence the name Threshold.

I never heard of a bride being carried over the thresher.:alright::D:D

susie123 15-12-2011 13:15

I stand corrected. Obviously been away from here for too long.

steve2qec 15-12-2011 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 956026)
I stand corrected. Obviously been away from here for too long.

You mean away from Accy, Sue?
We don't still have straw on the floor over here...!!

Benipete 15-12-2011 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve2qec (Post 956030)

Have you got sawdust now or that new oil cloth stuff?:eek::D:D

susie123 15-12-2011 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve2qec (Post 956030)

Ha ha baaa baaa humbug!

I meant it sounds like a local word but it obviously isn't. But it's not in my Chambers Dictionary.

MargaretR 15-12-2011 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 956039)
Ha ha baaa baaa humbug!

I meant it sounds like a local word but it obviously isn't. But it's not in my Chambers Dictionary.

Change to Collins
Definition of thresher | Collins English Dictionary

steve2qec 15-12-2011 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 956040)

That's a different version of the word to the one we're looking for.
When I get home tonight I'll see if it's in Brewers Dictionary of Phrase and Fable.