Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Weather (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/weather-60649.html)

annesingleton 09-02-2012 17:05

Weather

I have arrived home from work to find that the rain has turned my downward sloping path into a sheet of ice, along with the brickwork on the gateposts, leaving me stranded at the top of the path in the freezing rain for half an hour until my son got back from work in Chorley and my grandson arrived just before him to rescue me! It's all gritted now and much safer but I'm dreading going back out in the morning.
I've never seen anything like this weather, where the rain is turning to ice as soon as it hits a surface (there was even ice and some icicles on my brolly after my wait!
I just want to warn people to be very careful if they're going out, because it really is treacherous, without appearing to be.

jaysay 09-02-2012 17:37

Re: Weather

Quote:

Originally Posted by annesingleton (Post 969233)
I have arrived home from work to find that the rain has turned my downward sloping path into a sheet of ice, along with the brickwork on the gateposts, leaving me stranded at the top of the path in the freezing rain for half an hour until my son got back from work in Chorley and my grandson arrived just before him to rescue me! It's all gritted now and much safer but I'm dreading going back out in the morning.
I've never seen anything like this weather, where the rain is turning to ice as soon as it hits a surface (there was even ice and some icicles on my brolly after my wait!
I just want to warn people to be very careful if they're going out, because it really is treacherous, without appearing to be.

If Eric were here from Canada, he'd be sat out with his sun hat on reading the paper and drinking a pint Anne:D

annesingleton 09-02-2012 18:07

I'm sure he would but I was in a mess, I know I'm a wuss which is why I could never live anywhere like Canada! My grandson (aged 17) stood a the top of the path and just slid down to the bottom without moving himself. I just wanted people to beware that the pavements which seem ok really aren't.

Eric 09-02-2012 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 969237)
If Eric were here from Canada, he'd be sat out with his sun hat on reading the paper and drinking a pint Anne:D

Wouldn't need the hat ... I still have hair; not all of it has migrated to my ass.;):D

But we have had one of the mildest winters on record ... but I did hear from my son in Saskatoon about a month ago. Temps there were around -50.:cool: If you continue to suffer extreme winters, there might be a market for strap on cleats for you shoes. I have a set, and they worked well during the freezing rain we had a few weeks ago.

susie123 09-02-2012 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 969280)
Wouldn't need the hat ... I still have hair; not all of it has migrated to my ass.;):D

But we have had one of the mildest winters on record ... but I did hear from my son in Saskatoon about a month ago. Temps there were around -50.:cool: If you continue to suffer extreme winters, there might be a market for strap on cleats for you shoes. I have a set, and they worked well during the freezing rain we had a few weeks ago.

The strap on things for your shoes are in all the ctalogues etc this winter but so far I have only seen one person wearing them.

accyman 09-02-2012 20:00

last week i went to get in the car one evening and the whole drivers side was covered in about 1/2cm of ice from the rain hitting it and freezing upon contact.

Kids got in the passenger side which was fine and watched me get soaked and frozen while i tried to get the ice off my sides windows lol.

rememeber the planet is getting hotter folks ;)

Benipete 09-02-2012 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 969288)
The strap on things for your shoes are in all the ctalogues etc this winter but so far I have only seen one person wearing them.

No comment.I must resist.the therapy is working.:hehetable

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2012 20:42

Broadway in Accrington, was like a skating rink this morning. People were sliding all over the place.

Benipete 09-02-2012 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 969299)
Broadway in Accrington, was like a skating rink this morning. People were sliding all over the place.

Was It sponsored? :D;)

Eric 09-02-2012 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 969289)
last week i went to get in the car one evening and the whole drivers side was covered in about 1/2cm of ice from the rain hitting it and freezing upon contact.

Kids got in the passenger side which was fine and watched me get soaked and frozen while i tried to get the ice off my sides windows lol.

rememeber the planet is getting hotter folks ;)

The planet is getting hotter ... and that's why you guys are going to have colder winters. I believe it has to do with the melting of the polar ice. The influx of fresh water into the oceans is screwing around with the salinity, and may be have some nasty effects on the ocean currents. Of course, I did get this info from "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Global Warming";)

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2012 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 969301)
Was It sponsored? :D;)

I'm not sure.........I know that himself wasn't. I didn't slide much.......there was quite a lot of 'windmilling' though:D

Eric 09-02-2012 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 969305)
I'm not sure.........I know that himself wasn't. I didn't slide much.......there was quite a lot of 'windmilling' though:D

"Windmilling" ... that's neat. We call it "Doing the Penguin";)

Michael1954 09-02-2012 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 969305)

I thought that was Pete Townshend's speciality.

Benipete 10-02-2012 06:19

AA Car Essentials Snow and Ice Grips with Pouch (Universal Fit): Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Got this today If It's of any use.:)

maxthecollie 10-02-2012 07:39

Yak tracks to fit under your shoes from Winfields or fell and mountain shop in Accy. I have used them and can recommend them.