Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Old Mother Red Cap (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/old-mother-red-cap-61171.html)

Greeny 06-04-2012 10:50

Old Mother Red Cap

Call at tea time yesterday as it was convenient .Ordered the carvery and a half pint of orange and soda . Although the food was not that hot , it was OK and I did empty my plate, BUT I was charged £1.60 for the half pint of orange and soda , when I queried this with the bar staff I was given a receipt as proof of price,what a rip of. It would have been cheaper for beer.

Ken Moss 06-04-2012 11:11

Re: Old Mother Red Cap

A good point and certainly no incentive not to buy alcohol.

It's one of the reasons I very VERY rarely buy anything other than ale in a pub.

maxthecollie 06-04-2012 11:17

Doesn't it just encourage you to drink?

shillelagh 06-04-2012 14:59

i find that a lot ... for some of us who dont drink and dont have a choice we either have to pay ... or not go into pubs .. gave up drinking quite a few years ago ... have been charged for a pint of orange and soda £3 ... and a pint of lager was £2.90 ... and j20s the pubs charge £2 or more .. its not fair ...

cashman 06-04-2012 15:05

Get soda water jen, some dont charge fer that.;)

wallop79 06-04-2012 15:08

thats disgusting & just encourages drinking, there's no justifcation in the price at all. No wonder we're a nation of binge drinking pish heads is it.

Mancie 06-04-2012 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by wallop79 (Post 982974)
No wonder we're a nation of binge drinking pish heads is it.

:rofl38:hang on mate, you can speak for yerself! :)

Eric 06-04-2012 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 982910)
A good point and certainly no incentive not to buy alcohol.

It's one of the reasons I very VERY rarely buy anything other than ale in a pub.

Thought that was the prime reason for going to a pub:confused: Of course, the odd double shot of Forty Creek to go along with the ale is always an option ... unless you have something important to do the following day.:drunk: The whole idea of going to a pub to eat (chips are ok ... oops, crisps) and drink pop ... I just don't get it. Maybe it's a generational thing;):D

annesingleton 07-04-2012 08:46

I like going to the pub but don't always want to drink alcohol so I tend to have diet coke, and alcohol wise either wine or vodka - alcohol is definitely cheaper to buy, apparently the syrup used in draught coke is very expensive to the landlords as are bottled soft drinks. I don't know why cordial and water can be so expensive though.

garinda 07-04-2012 09:07

To be fair, this place can't be classed as a boozer.

I've never been, but people mainly seem to go there because the carvery is such good value.

They obviously make up the profits on the drinks.

garinda 07-04-2012 09:19

The carvery is £3.99 in the week.

That seems good value.

Some places charge that for a sandwich, which won't have VAT added into the price.

Carvery at The Old Mother Redcap

I guess you could ask for a glass of tap water, then they wouldn't be able to claw back their profits on their drinks.

:rolleyes:

entwisi 07-04-2012 09:47

Ymmv, let me play devils advocate

How much is the a red cap worth as a building, 1 million? Add in catering equipment, bar fittings, cellar equipment, fixtures, tables, chairs, etc and I bet you aren't far off another 500k

Then to open the doors, you need at least 6 staff(8 hours cover shifts of 3 each x2), even on min wage with employees and employers ni etc you are looking at a min of 200k costs for wages, then there's training, uniforms etc. And let's face it at peak periods you probably have 4x that number available. Add in electric, gas, rates, water, telephones,

All that is before you have the product cost and of course you don't run a pub as a charity so let's add in some profit.

now do you see where some of that 1.60 comes from?

SamF 07-04-2012 09:55

Another note along the same lines of the above.

If the offer was £5.99 for carvery and a drink would you still have an issue?

Or would that be great value ?

Greeny 07-04-2012 09:57

Last time we went there the orange and soda was cheaper than beer.

Neil 07-04-2012 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 982971)
i find that a lot ... for some of us who dont drink and dont have a choice we either have to pay ... or not go into pubs .. gave up drinking quite a few years ago ... have been charged for a pint of orange and soda £3 ... and a pint of lager was £2.90 ... and j20s the pubs charge £2 or more .. its not fair ...

If we are going to have a minimum price per unit of alcohol to try and reduce drinking I thing there should be a maximum price for non alcoholic drinks.

I wonder what people would class as a fair price for a bottle of J2O or 1/2 pint of coke/pepsi?