Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Debt collection agencies (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/debt-collection-agencies-61375.html)

AccyChris 01-05-2012 16:36

Debt collection agencies

With more an more folk finding everyday life getting harder and more expensive they can soon find thereself's in a battle with a D.C.A so i thought i'd start this thread to see if anyone has any personal experiences or/and idea's on dealing with them
apart from the ignorance or explicit verbal intercourse route ;)

Michael1954 01-05-2012 16:55

Re: Debt collection agencies

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyChris (Post 988551)
With more an more folk finding everyday life getting harder and more expensive they can soon find thereself's in a battle with a D.C.A so i thought i'd start this thread to see if anyone has any personal experiences or/and idea's on dealing with them
apart from the ignorance or explicit verbal intercourse route ;)

Have you any personal experiences?

DaveinGermany 01-05-2012 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1954 (Post 988554)

Wouldn't have thought so Mike, as he eschews material things according to previous posts he's made.

Studio25 01-05-2012 17:08

Yep - I had a recent one from when I closed the studio. They'd bought a "debt" from BT which they tried to chase. Turns out BT had extended my contract by five years when I'd actually asked them to cancel it. The DCA were chasing five years worth of line rental.

As it was all done over the phone, there was no signature, so I asked BT to supply their recording of the call. Obviously, they couldn't (or they could, and it proved that they'd made a mistake).

Related all this to the DCA (a company called Leeds Consultancy Services) and they were perfectly reasonable and helpful.

gynn 01-05-2012 17:29

The easy, flip answer is not to get into debt in the first place, but that isn't very helpful advice to anyone finding themselves in debt.

The last thing you should do is bury your head in the sand and hope they will go away, because they won't. The debts will continue to grow and getting out of the mire is harder in the long run.

First tactic should be to try and work with them. Tell them the extent of your problems, and how much you can afford to pay them. If they are reasonable, they will accept an arrangement that you can live with. It will stop them hassling you, and gives you breathing space in the long term. You have to keep to any arrangement made, or they will be back knocking on your door.

If they aren't prepared to play ball, or if you are in it too deep to make individual arrangements with different creditors, you need further advice. Get some debt counselling (the Citizens Advice Bureau was always good for this). The law is surprisingly helpful to people deep in debt, and you can make a voluntary arrangement with the County Court that will render your creditors powerless to hassle you.

Good luck!

Less 01-05-2012 18:57

What I find confusing about debt are the adverts on television, sign up with us first 30 days free, we'll show you how to improve your credit rating.

If I can't get credit it's because I've borrowed too much, I certainly wouldn't want to find a way to improve my chances of getting into further debt.

cashman 01-05-2012 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 988610)
What I find confusing about debt are the adverts on television, sign up with us first 30 days free, we'll show you how to improve your credit rating.

If I can't get credit it's because I've borrowed too much, I certainly wouldn't want to find a way to improve my chances of getting into further debt.

It don't always work like that Less, i was asked in Burtons a few yrs ago if i wanted a store card n then when they checked was refused cos i never had a credit rating, I said thats cos i never owed any money, n was livid. Had used em fer years fer me trolleys n such, have never been in since.:(

jaysay 01-05-2012 19:04

Its hardy surprising people get into debt when you see all these quick fix borrowing short term loads, the money will be in your account within 15 minutes, they are supposed to check out you ability to be able to pay the money back, by law, how they can do that in 15 minutes is beyond me, and with interest rates in some cases over 2000% apr, its tailor made to get you into debt

AccyChris 01-05-2012 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 988560)
The easy, flip answer is not to get into debt in the first place, but that isn't very helpful advice to anyone finding themselves in debt.

The last thing you should do is bury your head in the sand and hope they will go away, because they won't. The debts will continue to grow and getting out of the mire is harder in the long run.

First tactic should be to try and work with them. Tell them the extent of your problems, and how much you can afford to pay them. If they are reasonable, they will accept an arrangement that you can live with. It will stop them hassling you, and gives you breathing space in the long term. You have to keep to any arrangement made, or they will be back knocking on your door.

If they aren't prepared to play ball, or if you are in it too deep to make individual arrangements with different creditors, you need further advice. Get some debt counselling (the Citizens Advice Bureau was always good for this). The law is surprisingly helpful to people deep in debt, and you can make a voluntary arrangement with the County Court that will render your creditors powerless to hassle you.

Good luck!

Just a few things about your post glynn only my opinon of course

[1]"First tactic should be to try and work with them"...... NEVER MATE
[2]Tell them the extent of your problems, and how much you can afford to pay them.......... you probably cant afford to pay them anything since your in debt. but besides that you shouldnt pay them anything since you've no contract with them(3rd party).you could thank them since they paid your debt lol ;)
[3]Get some debt counselling (the Citizens Advice Bureau was always good for this). The law is surprisingly helpful to people deep in debt,,,, debt counselling??? that place you speak of is never open ive been a few times an its been open once lol as for the law being"surprisingly helpful to people deep in debt"
if by that you mean the fact they reg work in hand with the DCA to shaft every penny out of you then your correct ;)....peace

AccyChris 01-05-2012 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 988610)

like jaysay says its tailor made to get you in debt...these agencies have no right to bully property and demand any payments...jokers ;)

AccyChris 01-05-2012 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studio25 (Post 988558)
Yep - I had a recent one from when I closed the studio. They'd bought a "debt" from BT which they tried to chase. Turns out BT had extended my contract by five years when I'd actually asked them to cancel it. The DCA were chasing five years worth of line rental.

As it was all done over the phone, there was no signature, so I asked BT to supply their recording of the call. Obviously, they couldn't (or they could, and it proved that they'd made a mistake).

Related all this to the DCA (a company called Leeds Consultancy Services) and they were perfectly reasonable and helpful.

goodman.....nice outcome ;)

AccyChris 01-05-2012 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1954 (Post 988554)

i've had a few run in's with them in my time i tend to find the obvious,lawful and blunt approach works best i.e you bought my debt... thanks..... now have fun with it lol ;)

AccyChris 01-05-2012 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 988556)
Wouldn't have thought so Mike, as he eschews material things according to previous posts he's made.

i just want a genuine thread mate..... no harshness....i'm not the enemy lol ;)

DaveinGermany 01-05-2012 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyChris (Post 988629)
i just want a genuine thread mate..... no harshness....i'm not the enemy lol ;)

None intended but here, http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...y-61195-9.html

Post 166 & one of yours, was my reference point for the comment. ;)

AccyChris 01-05-2012 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 988639)
None intended but here, http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...y-61195-9.html

Post 166 & one of yours, was my reference point for the comment. ;)

point taken ;)