Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   At Last (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/at-last-63325.html)

jaysay 16-01-2013 08:52

At Last

At last judges with some sense. Judges at the high court upheld an appeal by a woman who had been stopped from wearing a crucifix around her neck at work because it may offend other religions, about time too

gynn 16-01-2013 10:21

Re: At Last

It was actually the European Court of Human Rights that made the ruling.

Very sensible, as was their dismissal of the dreadful homophobic claims that were also made to them.

Studio25 16-01-2013 10:23

She should have just said it was a plane, seen from above.

ocuana1939 16-01-2013 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1037185)
At last judges with some sense. Judges at the high court upheld an appeal by a woman who had been stopped from wearing a crucifix around her neck at work because it may offend other religions, about time too

And for the Eurosceptic readers this was a decision handed down by the European law makers. I totally agree that it is "About time too". Our Court knocked this ladies claim down. Being in Europe does have its advatages!

Wynonie Harris 16-01-2013 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocuana1939 (Post 1037245)
And for the Eurosceptic readers this was a decision handed down by the European law makers. I totally agree that it is "About time too". Our Court knocked this ladies claim down. Being in Europe does have its advatages!

...but not many.

accyman 16-01-2013 16:16

not religous but she has every right to wear a cross in a christian country especially as some clown can demand to see my passport when re-entering the country wearing a burkah

my comment of show me your face ill show you mine wasnt met with much warmth infact a man cam eover tapping at his machine gun as to indicate i should move along lol

maxthecollie 16-01-2013 16:17

Common sense has prevailed

accyman 16-01-2013 16:19

oh bollox now were gonna get jones on here using this as a reason why we should be in the EU

damn it

Restless 16-01-2013 17:35

I have wondered. When they ask you to swear on the bible etc... What If you are not a believer? Could I swear upon something else and have it count?

jaysay 16-01-2013 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1037250)
...but not many.

Too right Wyn, the minuses certainly out strip the pluses by a long chalk;) and if we weren't in the mishmass we'd be better off still:alright:

susie123 16-01-2013 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1037262)
I have wondered. When they ask you to swear on the bible etc... What If you are not a believer? Could I swear upon something else and have it count?

Yes Rob, in a law court you can affirm - but hope you never have to...

Giving evidence in court | nidirect

jaysay 16-01-2013 18:05

Quote:

you can refuse to swear on the bible in a court of law, it was once discussed at length on I think Panorama, if your an atheist whats the point of swearing on something you don't believe in

egg&chips 16-01-2013 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1037275)
you can refuse to swear on the bible in a court of law, it was once discussed at length on I think Panorama, if your an atheist whats the point of swearing on something you don't believe in

Evangelical Christians are also sometimes unwilling to swear onthe bible as Jesus is reported to have dissuaded his disciples from swearing on anything "Let your yes be yes and your no be no" as they say (and sing).

Margaret Pilkington 16-01-2013 18:16

Quote:

If you are a non believer you can affirm...instead of swearing.

Eric 16-01-2013 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1037251)
not religous but she has every right to wear a cross in a christian country especially as some clown can demand to see my passport when re-entering the country wearing a burkah

my comment of show me your face ill show you mine wasnt met with much warmth infact a man cam eover tapping at his machine gun as to indicate i should move along lol

Why would you be wearing a burkah ... I thought those were only for ugly women and suicide bombers.:confused: