Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Household Names in Liquidation (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/household-names-in-liquidation-63330.html)

gynn 16-01-2013 15:12

Household Names in Liquidation

Comet, Jessops, HMV.......... and now Blockbusters.

All household names on the high street that we grew up with. All going to the wall.

Very sad...but one question. When was the last time any of us went into any of their stores? Most of my purchases these days are on line. Place your order with Amazon and the goods are delivered the next day. Can't remember the last time I hired a DVD.

They are victims of changing consumer habits.

entwisi 16-01-2013 17:53

Re: Household Names in Liquidation

doesn't alter the fact that our high streets are a dying scene. where will we be in a few years, there is something nice about browsing shops that I fear our children will miss out on.

lancsdave 16-01-2013 17:57

We'll be famous as the last shop standing if it carries on and if we rely on people coming in to the shop it won't be for long.

I wouldn't think of buying what we sell online, but more an more people do. My business model now is to do everything I wouldn't do as a buyer :)

Margaret Pilkington 16-01-2013 18:01

I was in HMV on Saturday....and Jessops just before Christmas....I have never used Blockbusters(not a great film fan).

Gordon Booth 16-01-2013 18:02

It is sad, all we're going to have left are coffee shops and charity shops.
And once the charity shops start selling coffee??
Even the big successful stores are moving to out of town sites, I think the high street has had it.

Neil 16-01-2013 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 1037243)
They are victims of changing consumer habits.

So when are they going to start changing our town centre to reflect the number of shops we need and then clearing out the unused areas, instead of trying to keep the town centre at its current size?

lancsdave 16-01-2013 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1037291)
So when are they going to start changing our town centre to reflect the number of shops we need and then clearing out the unused areas, instead of trying to keep the town centre at its current size?

I'm in agreement with this. As well as the fact less people come in to town, one of the reasons it never looks busy is because it's too sprawled out.

I'd start with demolishing Abbey St :D

Neil 16-01-2013 19:41

All of it from Castle pub to Tesco Express?

lancsdave 16-01-2013 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1037299)
All of it from Castle pub to Tesco Express?

It's a start :)

flashy 16-01-2013 19:51

I was in HMV last week and just before Christmas, it is sad that it will be closing as it is with the rest of the shops, I don't tend to buy online, I prefer to browse and actually feel the product, yes I know that sounds daft but that's just me

Margaret Pilkington 16-01-2013 20:06

I also like to see the product I am about to buy...but I do buy some things online.

Eric 16-01-2013 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 1037302)
I was in HMV last week and just before Christmas, it is sad that it will be closing as it is with the rest of the shops, I don't tend to buy online, I prefer to browse and actually feel the product, yes I know that sounds daft but that's just me

Not just you, hon ... I like to browse too.

By the way, Blockbuster went belly up over here months ago.

Alan Varrechia 16-01-2013 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1037270)
We'll be famous as the last shop standing if it carries on and if we rely on people coming in to the shop it won't be for long.

I wouldn't think of buying what we sell online, but more an more people do. My business model now is to do everything I wouldn't do as a buyer :)

Don't know if you have heard of far canal, he doe's t-shirts same as you. Couple of years back you could guarantee seeing him at bike rallies festivals etc. Know he is exclusivly on line it's the only way he can still work and make a profit.

ToffeeGuy 16-01-2013 22:58

In a spooky co-incidence, Blockbusters has gone bust almost a year to the DAY that Bob Holness died.

Mick 17-01-2013 04:38

Can i add H Samuels in the Arndale is closing down too