Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Disposal of Hypodermic Needles (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/disposal-of-hypodermic-needles-63749.html)

Barrie Yates 08-03-2013 10:04

Disposal of Hypodermic Needles

I recently had a course of antibiotics by self injection after a knee replacement in Bury Hospital.
Now I have 14 used sharps, the pharmacy won't take them, telling me GPs surgery or the hospital - sounded reasonable.
At Accrington Victoria yesterday on another matter, tried to hand them in there but they would not accept them, saying I had to take them to the hospital that issued them.
It seems a bit stupid to me but perhaps someone can explain the reason behind the refusal.
Now I will try the GP, or alternatively I am sure someone around Abbey St area will happily accept them (joke), or do they get a free issue?

lancsdave 08-03-2013 10:07

Re: Disposal of Hypodermic Needles

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1045561)
I recently had a course of antibiotics by self injection after a knee replacement in Bury Hospital.
Now I have 14 used sharps, the pharmacy won't take them, telling me GPs surgery or the hospital - sounded reasonable.
At Accrington Victoria yesterday on another matter, tried to hand them in there but they would not accept them, saying I had to take them to the hospital that issued them.
It seems a bit stupid to me but perhaps someone can explain the reason behind the refusal.
Now I will try the GP, or alternatively I am sure someone around Abbey St area will happily accept them (joke), or do they get a free issue?

Just dump them on the pavement in Peel St, that's the norm round here

accyman 08-03-2013 10:36

so let me get this right..

junkies are offered a system where they can take their used needles for safe disposal or needle exchange programs used for new ones yet a genuine person with legitimate use of a needle has to jump through hoops to dispose of them?

Guinness 08-03-2013 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1045561)

They should have provided you with a sharps bin when they gave you the needles. Sounds like another hospital snafu to me....the council have to take away sharps bins but you gotta ring up and ask for collection

davemac 08-03-2013 11:57

My sharps bin goes back to the Gp's surgery, never had any problem when I returned them, even when I took 5 at once, is a long way to go with just one.

Barrie Yates 08-03-2013 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1045584)
My sharps bin goes back to the Gp's surgery, never had any problem when I returned them, even when I took 5 at once, is a long way to go with just one.

Thanks, will take them to my GP - they did give me a yellow bin but Accy Vic still didn't want to know yet they must have the facilities for having them disposed of??????????

jaysay 08-03-2013 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1045570)
so let me get this right..

junkies are offered a system where they can take their used needles for safe disposal or needle exchange programs used for new ones yet a genuine person with legitimate use of a needle has to jump through hoops to dispose of them?

Ya seems about right that accyman, think we have a motto in this country, why be awkward when with a tad more effort you can be absolutely flaming impossible:(

Restless 09-03-2013 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1045563)
Just dump them on the pavement in Peel St, that's the norm round here

Beat me to it. Was going to say the same

Barrie Yates 09-03-2013 06:06

Got rid of them at the GPs - still mystified why the Vic wouldn't take them?

jaysay 09-03-2013 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1045720)
Got rid of them at the GPs - still mystified why the Vic wouldn't take them?

Jobsworth Barrie;)