Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Caught Red Handed (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/caught-red-handed-63775.html)

jaysay 12-03-2013 17:45

Caught Red Handed

I was watching a program on BBC1 this morning called Caught Red Handed, in this program the police in Bournemouth decided to use a scam to catch thieves they left a laptop all over the place. in a park, pub garden town centre, the only thing was people were handing it in:D However, eventually somebody walked of with it and they actually knew who he was, he kept it for two days before the police raided his home and retrieved the laptop, he was then arrested and was given an extra 9 months on a previous sentence and was back in the nick. Just wondered if anybody thinks this is a bit underhanded by the law, or were they right doing this, personally I think they were right and at least one thieving scumbag is where he belongs

Less 12-03-2013 17:56

Re: Caught Red Handed

Didn't the Police try that a few years ago?

But they used a car, I think the eventual thieves had to be let go because Although, yes they stole the car, the Police had left it to tempt them.

DaveinGermany 12-03-2013 18:29

Entrapment. Law enforcement agencies using an object/person to encourage a third party to commit a criminal offence. (or so I believe)

Retlaw 12-03-2013 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1046365)

But they used a car, I think the eventual thieves had to be let go because Although, yes they stole the car, the Police had left it to tempt them.

Thats a load of crap the judge who allowed that one thro should be serving a sentence. If the scumbag wasn't in thief mode, how would he have known the car was insecure.

jaysay 12-03-2013 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1046365)

Ya can remember that Less, the doors locked and the motor cut out, that's what I was wondering in this case but the guy actually got 9 months for it.

accyman 12-03-2013 21:55

its entrapment and is wrong.The guy although not the most honest of people it seems would not have stolen a laptop had it not been left unattended in a place where it was made to appear obviously abandoned.

if it had been left on a car seat and the person smashed the window to get at the laptop then fair enough but it was apparently left in a place where the thought if i dont grab it someone else will probbably entered his mind.

to me its no different than those dirt bag coppers that sit at 30mph signs exiting a 50mph zone with a speed gun

im not saying his actions were right but he was tempted by the police to commit a crime which is basically making crime which isnt their job.As for the trap cars the people have to break into them to try stealing them then they shut down after a few yards and the doors lock so by breaking in the criminal has already broken the law and proven intent to steal

flashy 13-03-2013 07:35

That programme has just been on again this morning on bbc2, I don't think its right what the police did, and what they do

cashman 13-03-2013 07:46

Its another example of the police using a soft option to get n conviction, nowt new yon.:rolleyes:

jaysay 13-03-2013 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1046438)
its entrapment and is wrong.The guy although not the most honest of people it seems would not have stolen a laptop had it not been left unattended in a place where it was made to appear obviously abandoned.

if it had been left on a car seat and the person smashed the window to get at the laptop then fair enough but it was apparently left in a place where the thought if i dont grab it someone else will probbably entered his mind.

to me its no different than those dirt bag coppers that sit at 30mph signs exiting a 50mph zone with a speed gun

im not saying his actions were right but he was tempted by the police to commit a crime which is basically making crime which isnt their job.As for the trap cars the people have to break into them to try stealing them then they shut down after a few yards and the doors lock so by breaking in the criminal has already broken the law and proven intent to steal

They were actually trying to see if this guy took it to a fence so they could nab him too, but he didn't so they just nicked him instead;)