Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Carnival - past its sell by date? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/carnival-past-its-sell-by-date-64390.html)

Guinness 15-06-2013 16:09

Carnival - past its sell by date?

Accrington Carnival 2013 - YouTube

I remember the days when there would be 20 or 30 brightly decorated wagons, pack after pack of cubs, brownies and guides, 2 or 3 JCB's for chucking your spare change into, followed by people picking up coins that had been missed. Displays by the army parachute (red devils?) team, fire engines, police dog displays, loads of stalls with games like hoopla and darts etc..etc..etc.

No doubt some very hard work has gone into this, but in the end it looked pretty pitiful. Is this something that should be consigned to history or am I remembering through rose tinted glasses and it was never very good?

Less 15-06-2013 16:26

You turned up, well done
I didn't bother but my granddaughter saw it, she thought it wonderful, but then, she's a child and a new experience should be that.
Times change though and who can afford to join in?
Don't know if you've noticed, we no longer have the industry, it was easier to get volunteers when we all worked together.
Now, nobody and no company can really afford such trivia.

davebtelford 15-06-2013 16:46

Re: Carnival - past its sell by date?

My Mum used to love the carnival (I was a in my cynical teens / 20s at the time!). If it's a good day out for the children it would be a shame to lose it.

Restless 15-06-2013 16:50

Less- You and Mick should've done a Accyweb Float :D

Less 15-06-2013 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1062919)
Less- You and Mick should've done a Accyweb Float :D

We did a virtual float, not our fault you missed it, wasn't Linux compatible.

lancsdave 15-06-2013 18:02

It is what you make it. In these days of austerity and the over indulgence of health & safety I thought todays was the best for a few years. Good turnout by people taking part and the public. Of course there's always room for improvement lets keep the spirit, something sadly lacking in Accrington for most days of the year.

cashman 15-06-2013 18:08

We went enjoyed seeing the kids enjoy, no it aint like it used to be, but then neither is local industry, who used to put on all the floats, In my view it should not be consigned to history, if kids love it, thats good enough fer me.

accyman 15-06-2013 18:15

sadly because of health and safety which is all europes doing things like police dog displays are probbably no longer allowed incase a dog farts in someones direction

schools used to help out on the railway lines in wales but because some of teh towns are a certain height above sea level there has to be a mountain rescue team on standby at all times while children worked although right along side them people were living normal lives and shopping just as we would in our town without a mountain rescue team.Europe says it must be so snd now children cant work on work exerience on the mini railway lines which rely heavily on voulenteers and such to survive

anyway back to the carnival with all these health and safety regulations which are over the top usually and buisnesses driven out by a council that wont play fair it dosnt leave much to make a go with

i know a few people who went to the actual event and teh kids seemed happy enough

just be thankfull there wasnt a float full of smackheads and needles

Margaret Pilkington 15-06-2013 18:36

People of today have nothing to judge the Carnival by...so of course they will be thrilled by it...especially the children.
It is only us B.O.B's who remember the days of old, when all the local businesses and factories vied with each other to have the very best float, who are disappointed...and I don't think it is aimed at us.
Well done to those who made the effort to take part, and at least the weather wasn't too unkind for the event.

Guinness 15-06-2013 23:34

Not doubting the work that's gone into it, like I said in my OP, and fair play to the lions/round table or whoever it was that organised it all.

But still, it was rag tag...gone are the marching cubs in uniform led by Akela, gone are the floats with wagons covered in cardboard flowers, gone are the formations and structure, there just didn't seem to me to be the joy, celebration and sense of a fun day like I remembered.

Ok the under 8's may have enjoyed it, probably with the same gusto as receiving the news that they were having a KFC or a Big Mac for tea.

Ok we don't have the industry to provide the volunteers, wagons and funding, but isn't that the reason why it should be confined to room 101?

It was good while it lasted, but, it should be consigned to the same history as the Dairies Dance, the free Blackpool Mecca bus and Watneys Party Sevens

shillelagh 16-06-2013 00:52

so its ok for you to have memories ... but not for the kids who took part yesterday ....

keith higson 16-06-2013 01:07

The Carnival may not have been as good as in past years but at least they had a go, good on them.

ossy kid 16-06-2013 04:19

You're right of course, they aren't the same but don,t blame the economy, it doesn't cost anything to volunteer. It's a matter of people not being willing to donate their time, to get involved, organize. WE all have other priorities, pity.

cashman 16-06-2013 06:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1062984)
You're right of course, they aren't the same but don,t blame the economy, it doesn't cost anything to volunteer. It's a matter of people not being willing to donate their time, to get involved, organize. WE all have other priorities, pity.

Think yer well wrong there, no volunteers cost nowt, but "Wagons" @ Firms that own them were do they appear from? A magic hat.:rolleyes:

jaysay 16-06-2013 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1062937)
sadly because of health and safety which is all europes doing things like police dog displays are probbably no longer allowed incase a dog farts in someones direction

schools used to help out on the railway lines in wales but because some of teh towns are a certain height above sea level there has to be a mountain rescue team on standby at all times while children worked although right along side them people were living normal lives and shopping just as we would in our town without a mountain rescue team.Europe says it must be so snd now children cant work on work exerience on the mini railway lines which rely heavily on voulenteers and such to survive

anyway back to the carnival with all these health and safety regulations which are over the top usually and buisnesses driven out by a council that wont play fair it dosnt leave much to make a go with

i know a few people who went to the actual event and teh kids seemed happy enough

just be thankfull there wasnt a float full of smackheads and needles

You mean Maundy didn't enter a float this year:rolleyes:

cmonstanley 16-06-2013 09:53

theres an idea:D

Margaret Pilkington 16-06-2013 10:39

However you cut it...nothing is the same as when we old 'uns were growing up.
Bars of chocolate were bigger, but we(i'm speaking from personal perspective here) hadn't the money to buy them.
We didn't expect much so anything we got was a bonus.
The world has changed...we have to be able to see that, and perhaps, be grateful that we grew up when we did.

mobertol 16-06-2013 12:15

I can remember loving Accrington carnival as a girl, standing on Broadway and struggling to see for all the people and afterwards going to the park -it was a really big thing and something to be looked forward too from one year to the next. I hope it does continue as I'm sure children still love it.
In Italy, being a Catholic country it's done 40 days before Easter, at Mardi Gras, as a final fling before Lent and is a really big festival. The kids are off school for it and all take part getting dressed up in costumes even if they aren't on a float or part of a group or dance team. There are many famous carnivals over here -Venice and Viareggio come to mind as well as the orange-throwing Carnival in Ivrea. http://www.lifeinitaly.com/culture/i..._carnivals.asp
It's about having fun, eating sweets and getting dressed up in costumes and I think that's what they try to do with the carnival in Accy too. I have seen some photos of it on FB and of the carnival ground where other things were organised and it looked quite well planned. What I thought was a bit naff was having a so-called "celeb" on display surrounded by bodyguards - surely the local Carnival Queen was enough glamour. I'm sure most of the children would have prefered the money that was presumably spent there being used in a different way -perhaps in a memento or some sweets for them to keep and take home!

accyman 16-06-2013 12:37

aye used to go along broadway when i was a kid and then they pedestrianised broadway and effectivly killed the town.

have you seen the old pictures when it was open ,a steady stream of cars and thriving shops and pavements flowing with shoppers.

think theres been more deaths on teh bust station than there ever was on broadway when it had traffic and all them people

at least people can walk around drunk or high now without fear of getting hit by a car

hedman2003 16-06-2013 13:11

I agree that the procession was better than more recent ones with more floats than in previous years and sadly due the reasons explained in previous posts we will never return to the scale of the Carnivals that we had in the 70's

accyman 16-06-2013 16:38

the next procession through town will be when someone gets a parking ticket on blackburn road :);)

cashman 16-06-2013 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1063049)
the next procession through town will be when someone gets a parking ticket on blackburn road :);)

Hard to believe but seen one getting a ticket on Whalley rd sat morn.:eek:

accyman 16-06-2013 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1063052)
Hard to believe but seen one getting a ticket on Whalley rd sat morn.:eek:

oh heck isnt that the first sign of teh appocolypse :eek:

or it was a bloke who was new to the job lol

we shoudl have a parade now celebrating a ticket getting issued and a carnival if it gets paid

cashman 16-06-2013 17:29

Was just glad Paris was wi me as a witness, or many may not believe.:eek:

ffberryb77 17-06-2013 14:44

Hello. This year's Carnival VERY NEARLY didn't happen at all. Normally organised by 20 Accrington Lions over two years, this one was organised by five people in six months. The single greatest obstacle was apathy.

It is ironic that this be brought up here as many months ago, I tried (and failed) to generate interest on this very forum.

I would like to echo those that suggest it's a matter for the children to decide - the kids of Sacred Heart that put their all into making a lion king float, the dancers of mount Carmel and so on.

I asked my own kids if they enjoyed it, which they did, which I consider job done.

We know there is much to improve on, so please tell us, or better still, help us next time.

We had more floats than last time, more visitors than last time and we made the national press.

Organising this nearly broke me, and on three occasions it was in severe jeopardy. We welcome ALL constructive feedback. Thankfully, the negativity seems confined to people who didn't come (yet still feel they should comment).

Thanks to (among others) rishton waste paper, Millers UK, giftprint, sharps estate agents, stonerig, coopers critters, observer, Scott Dawson print, Accrington Stanley, Hyndburn in leisure, gaskell motor bodies, fccc, sacred Heart, mount Carmel, mount pleasant, 1st scouts, rainbows, brownies, cubs, pipe band, dog display team, transport and all the other hgv companies and drivers, Holland's pies, Cato's World, our fantastic carnival makers, fat Tuesday, Hyndburn council, ventbrook, lions, and that is just off the top of my head as I post this from my mobile.

More details on our Facebook and Twitter pages and I will be posting a video thanking everyone who got this event off the ground.

I promise, 2015 will be bigger and better. For now, I am going to rest. :)

Gayle 17-06-2013 15:57

Well I just want to say thank you to those that put the hard work and time in to make it happen.

I know just how hard it is to organise an event and this one had a lot of complexity with road closures, fairgrounds, community groups, activities, showcases, celebs etc. so you did a fantastic job.

There will always be negativity and people who will say it could have been done better/differently but those people will rarely get off their backside to help out and they often don't know what restrictions or costs are involved.

The Civic put forward a walking group in the procession. It was our first foray into this and we've already discussed how we can improve on what we did for next time. Next time we'll be in it to win it, lol.

My children and all the others that joined us had a good time. We got drenched but it didn't matter. We've already had some phonecalls from the 100s of leaflets we handed out so that was a success.

All in all I would say that it was a good event that you can be proud of.

flashy 17-06-2013 16:22

My niece was on the sea cadets float, she was one of the Mount Carmel dancers in the last Carnival, she loves doing it

Guinness 17-06-2013 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffberryb77 (Post 1063163)
Hello. This year's Carnival VERY NEARLY didn't happen at all. Normally organised by 20 Accrington Lions over two years, this one was organised by five people in six months. The single greatest obstacle was apathy.

It is ironic that this be brought up here as many months ago, I tried (and failed) to generate interest on this very forum.

I would like to echo those that suggest it's a matter for the children to decide - the kids of Sacred Heart that put their all into making a lion king float, the dancers of mount Carmel and so on.

I asked my own kids if they enjoyed it, which they did, which I consider job done.

We know there is much to improve on, so please tell us, or better still, help us next time.

We had more floats than last time, more visitors than last time and we made the national press.

Organising this nearly broke me, and on three occasions it was in severe jeopardy. We welcome ALL constructive feedback. Thankfully, the negativity seems confined to people who didn't come (yet still feel they should comment).

I promise, 2015 will be bigger and better. For now, I am going to rest. :)

The only negativity on this whole thread is coming from me. I daresay if I'd put a poll along with my original title I would have been only one who thought that it was past it's sell by date.

I actually did go to watch, and if you care to actually read both my posts on this thread I praised the effort and work that went into it.

You mention the Lion King float...my argument is that there used to be many such floats and it used to be a great spectacle.

You want constructive criticism, I'm sorry I just can't oblige because unfortunately you can't make it any better than it was without throwing a ton of money at it which people just don't have.

For instance the police, fire, ambulance and NHS service used to be in the parade, in these days of cutbacks they don't have the resources to attend and the fire service most definitely don't have a spare engine they can send along for the kids to mess around on with an officer demonstrating what would happen if you put a chip pan out with a cupful of water. Nor do we have Gilbraiths and other assorted hauliers to throw in wagons, drivers and the fuel to run them free of charge.

Honestly, I wish you luck next time, but I still think it's a bygone thing, like chips in newspaper and wakes week.

ffberryb77 17-06-2013 17:34

Lol! Well, didn't mean you specifically - I assumed you were playing devils advocate...

The only question I would ask is having seen the procession, did you miss the fire engine at the back?!

We are also looking for fresh ideas for 2015 - we already have a few!

accyman 17-06-2013 18:48

in another thread maybe even this one i did suggest putting an mp in a rolling cage but for some reason of which i cant even begin to comprehend someone thought it best to complain and get it removed

no swearing , no names,no breaking forum rules at all so rght now ill just put it in text without the picture of a man in a cage but slightly updated..

PUT A M.P IN A ROLLING CAGE AND LET PEOPLE THROW ROTTEN TOMATOES AT IT

it would be the most busy carnival ever

you can throw egss but there is a 50p charge per egg which is more than reasonable in todays economic climate

if you want to splash out £5 you can chuck an accy nori at it just to keep a local theme to things :D

gpick24 17-06-2013 19:06

50p, that`s eggstortionate.

accyman 17-06-2013 19:09

when asked by police why accyman threw a frying pan at the MP he replied that "the egg was in it" ;)

ffberryb77 18-06-2013 02:32

Actually, no, I have read your posts Guinness and to be honest, they are insulting.

How on earth can you expect people to get involved and make the carnival a spectacle to remember if all you can do is belittle the efforts of those who have tried?

I am sorry the floats weren't up to your standard - but they were better than anything you put into the procession, which appears to have been nothing. I really hope you at least found it in your heart to donate to the collections for local causes, because if not, you have no right whatsoever to pass judgement - especially where your sweeping generalisations are downright incorrect:

"the fire service most definitely don't have a spare engine they can send along" : really???
http://accringtoncarnival.co.uk/img/fire.jpg

"it looked pretty pitiful" "it was rag tag" - congratulations, you just put down a good 400 people (mainly children) who did their best - some of whom have already told me they are very insulted by your words:
http://accringtoncarnival.co.uk/img/float1.jpg
http://accringtoncarnival.co.uk/img/float2.jpg
http://accringtoncarnival.co.uk/img/float3.jpg

"we don't have the industry to provide the volunteers" - here's one of our 14 volunteers helping us on the day:
http://accringtoncarnival.co.uk/img/volunteer.jpg

We overcame a lot of obstacles to keep this event going - this very site blocked attempts to promote this years event (ironically enough, because we didn't follow the rules).

It is very easy to sit behind a computer and criticise anonymously, but I felt the need to defend the many people you have angered and disparaged. Constructively criticise the way the event was organised, by all means, but don't dare to criticise the few people in the area that did put some effort in.

You are, of course, welcome to attend any of our committee meetings in the future to discuss your feelings further.

Dave Berry
Carnival Organiser
[email protected]

Guinness 18-06-2013 06:34

I didn't see the fire engine, quite prepared to eat my words on that one.

If people are upset, sorry about that too, wasn't my intention. And once again I'll say that there is no doubt that lots of hard work went into it. And your own personal conviction and dedication is obvious from your posts.

You are correct it's very easy to sit behind a computer and criticise. Doesn't change the fact that I believe it is a pale shadow of what it once was. And like I've already said...good luck next time

lancsdave 18-06-2013 07:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 1063177)
Next time we'll be in it to win it, lol.

I've heard a few people say that after this years, looks like it could get messy :D

Personally I thought this years carnival was a turning point in what had become an event which was gettiing smaller each time.

2 years and we can all take Gayle and her crew on and make it better :)

Margaret Pilkington 18-06-2013 07:53

Lovely pics and I would say to you....Very Well Done, for making a good job in very difficult circumstances....and more power to your elbow for the next one.

And if you can't get the MP to go in the cage, then maybe you could get a very vociferous conservative councillor(who has ideas above his station, and need not be named) to stand in.
I would come and chuck rotten tomatoes at him. :D

jaysay 18-06-2013 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1063242)
Lovely pics and I would say to you....Very Well Done, for making a good job in very difficult circumstances....and more power to your elbow for the next one.

And if you can't get the MP to go in the cage, then maybe you could get a very vociferous conservative councillor(who has ideas above his station, and need not be named) to stand in.
I would come and chuck rotten tomatoes at him. :D

I once remember a mate of mine who I was having a pint with in the local, he just said, out of the blue, I see your mate's putting up again, who's that I said, Britcliffe, I see he's standing for't council again, ya I replied, Can't stick the bloke myself, each to his own I replied, but I always vote for him, why's that I asked, he's the only one that gets out done. :rolleyes:

Less 18-06-2013 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffberryb77 (Post 1063231)
Actually, no, I have read your posts Guinness and to be honest, they are insulting.

How on earth can you expect people to get involved and make the carnival a spectacle to remember if all you can do is belittle the efforts of those who have tried?

I am sorry the floats weren't up to your standard - but they were better than anything you put into the procession, which appears to have been nothing. I really hope you at least found it in your heart to donate to the collections for local causes, because if not, you have no right whatsoever to pass judgement - especially where your sweeping generalisations are downright incorrect:

"the fire service most definitely don't have a spare engine they can send along" : really???

"it looked pretty pitiful" "it was rag tag" - congratulations, you just put down a good 400 people (mainly children) who did their best - some of whom have already told me they are very insulted by your words:

"we don't have the industry to provide the volunteers" - here's one of our 14 volunteers helping us on the day:

We overcame a lot of obstacles to keep this event going - this very site blocked attempts to promote this years event (ironically enough, because we didn't follow the rules).

It is very easy to sit behind a computer and criticise anonymously, but I felt the need to defend the many people you have angered and disparaged. Constructively criticise the way the event was organised, by all means, but don't dare to criticise the few people in the area that did put some effort in.

You are, of course, welcome to attend any of our committee meetings in the future to discuss your feelings further.

Dave Berry
Carnival Organiser

I think You are being over sensitive, I've just re-read the first post:-

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guinness (Post 1062910)

I remember the days when there would be 20 or 30 brightly decorated wagons, pack after pack of cubs, brownies and guides, 2 or 3 JCB's for chucking your spare change into, followed by people picking up coins that had been missed. Displays by the army parachute (red devils?) team, fire engines, police dog displays, loads of stalls with games like hoopla and darts etc..etc..etc.

No doubt some very hard work has gone into this, but in the end it looked pretty pitiful. Is this something that should be consigned to history or am I remembering through rose tinted glasses and it was never very good?

He put forward an opinion that was all, nothing insulting and asked an important question, past it's sell by date?

It would appear that the answer to that question is no, it's smaller, yes but people do have an interest.

You made an attempt, you intend to do it again, well done for that, however this is a site about Hyndburn and it's district, he is a regular poster not someone sitting anonymously behind his computer, the result of the thread is I think positive, most people seemed to enjoy it.
Quote:

don't dare to criticise the few people in the area that did put some effort in
Not only is he free to criticise onsite, I again think you are being oversensitive, without feedback you wouldn't know what he or anyone else thought of the efforts put in nor would we know that you
Quote:

promise, 2015 will be bigger and better.
Isn't that a criticism? if it's going to be bigger and better then obviously you weren't satisfied with it as it was? Had it been perfect you may have said 'make 2015 just as good'.

I hope after the event in 2015 you come back on and thank him for giving you the determination to improve.
:alright:

hedman2003 18-06-2013 11:49

Personally I dont think Dave was being oversensitive I imagine Dave and his team have put endless hours into preparing the Carnival for the people of the town and some of the language used in the original post was far from constuctive.

Once again we see the inner sanctum of Accyweb defending it's own - how dare a newby dare to question an established member (no doubt I'll now be told if i don't like it I should go elsewhere)

The other year a poster was castergated because they were promoting an event as part of the carnival but there must be an ulterior motive involved because they were new - is this really the way to welcome new members (tin hat on ready for the abuse from the usual suspects!!)

From me grateful thanks to the Carnival Committee in putting on the show, yes it is smaller than previously but it is the times we live in - lets look forward to the next being bigger and better

Less 18-06-2013 12:07

Your opinion, reading too much into the in's and out's of AccyWeb as usual!
I bet Guinness is pleased, promotion at last, welcome to the clique!

Margaret Pilkington 18-06-2013 14:07

Guinness, I am intrigued. How did you get into the 'clique'?

Did you have to stand with your left trouser leg rolled up and your other foot plonked in a bucket of lukewarm tripe......did you have to promise to buy all the other members of the clique a pint of their favourite tipple...or was it something more saucy?

Please do tell. I have been here a long time and I haven't found my way into the clique yet...maybe I'm not trying enough :D

Less 18-06-2013 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1063284)
Guinness, I am intrigued. How did you get into the 'clique'?

Did you have to stand with your left trouser leg rolled up and your other foot plonked in a bucket of lukewarm tripe......did you have to promise to buy all the other members of the clique a pint of their favourite tipple...or was it something more saucy?

Please do tell. I have been here a long time and I haven't found my way into the clique yet...maybe I'm not trying enough :D

When he divulges the secret can you let the rest of us know?

So we can join?

Life's strange, it won't be long before someone on the Carnival Committee, comes on here and tells us their insane ideas are always rejected by the main members.
I've said it before, if I am a member of the clique why has nobody official told me?
I for example, get nutters and frustrated newbies saying I am,
why doesn't someone print a certificate and issue it to we, the elite?

cashman 18-06-2013 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1063267)

Just another know it all, that knows nowt, in my view.:rolleyes: That probably makes me one of the usual suspects?:D

Less 18-06-2013 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1063288)
Just another know it all, that knows nowt, in my view.:rolleyes: That probably makes me one of the usual suspects?:D

Now that's a bit harsh!
Certainly not the way to welcome Guinness into the inner sanctum!

cashman 18-06-2013 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1063289)
Now that's a bit harsh!
Certainly not the way to welcome Guinness into the inner sanctum!

:hehetable:hehetable:hehetable See what not quoting does pmsl.

Margaret Pilkington 18-06-2013 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1063287)
When he divulges the secret can you let the rest of us know?

So we can join?

I have decided I don't want to join anyway.......I'd rather be a monkey than a sheep.;)

MargaretR 18-06-2013 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1063309)
I have decided I don't want to join anyway.......I'd rather be a monkey than a sheep.;)

I can recommend the role of 'innocent bystander'

jaysay 18-06-2013 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1063267)

Its getting a bit crowded in here now Less:rolleyes:

jaysay 18-06-2013 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1063312)
I can recommend the role of 'innocent bystander'

Innocent and bystander is somewhat an oxymoron in your case Margaret:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

MargaretR 18-06-2013 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1063323)
Innocent and bystander is somewhat an oxymoron in your case Margaret:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Who is this moron on oxygen?:D

cashman 18-06-2013 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1063334)
Who is the moron on oxygen?:D

Class Mags, Class.:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

flashy 18-06-2013 18:46

i dont care what you lot have to say but will someone please put some bloody pics up of the carnival please, not impressed with the ones in the Telegraph

cashman 18-06-2013 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffberryb77 (Post 1063190)
Lol! Well, didn't mean you specifically - I assumed you were playing devils advocate...

The only question I would ask is having seen the procession, did you miss the fire engine at the back?!

We are also looking for fresh ideas for 2015 - we already have a few!

Just a thought, are the schools actually involved? If not would be good to get em contributing in some way fer 2015, way i see it, the more kids are involved the better.:)

ffberryb77 18-06-2013 21:38

First of all, the important stuff - flashy (and anyone else interested) loads of pictures submitted by attendees can be found on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/accringtoncarnival

Second, the less important stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1063247)
nothing insulting

"it looked pretty pitiful" is an insult - this is presented as fact, rather than opinion.

Quote:

he is a regular poster not someone sitting anonymously behind his computer, the result of the thread is I think positive, most people seemed to enjoy it.

Not only is he free to criticise onsite, I again think you are being oversensitive, without feedback you wouldn't know what he or anyone else thought of the efforts put in

Everybody is free to criticise, but it should be backed up with reasoning. All I have seen on here is "it was pitiful", "it was rag-tag" and "wasn't it better in my day". I can tell you exactly what will destroy the carnival (and ultimately the town itself). It isn't health and safety gone mad, and it isn't even poundshops. It's attitude, pure and simple. Try taking of the cynical glasses and be constructive rather than destructive. We have had lots and lots of feedback (good and bad), but as long as its constructive (which nothing either you or guinness have said is) then that is fine. Stop telling us we should be better and start telling us how we can be better.

Quote:

Isn't that a criticism? if it's going to be bigger and better then obviously you weren't satisfied with it as it was? Had it been perfect you may have said 'make 2015 just as good'.

I hope after the event in 2015 you come back on and thank him for giving you the determination to improve.
:alright:

I think you are very confused if you think I am "obviously" not satisfied. Again the words used present the information as fact, rather than opinion.

I remember carnivals of old being big affairs. I also know it took 19 people two years to arrange the 1993 carnival, whereas five of us organised this one in six months. Also, the level of coverage and local support was much more widespread in those days.

What I (and the rest of the organisers) are trying to do is turn the carnival around, back to the 'good old days' - as highlighted by AccyDave.

If you think I am being over-sensitive, fine - I would rather be seen as someone who cares and will fight with passion for the town, than as someone who picks holes in others actually trying to make a difference, and instead sits and moans about 'world war 3', 'ian brady', and 'abu qatada', to name but three cheerful topics on this site.

I am very happy with how the carnival went, and particularly pleased with the spirit of those involved - all of whom have already asked how to get involved next time.

Thankfully, this is the only negativity I have encountered. It is not constructive at all, simply faceless people moaning despite having put little into the event. I have had messages of support through this site, twitter and facebook, and I certainly shall not thank one person on a forum for 'giving me the determination to improve'.

Believe it or not, I fuel my own determination - you think very highly of yourselves if you reckon two anonymous individuals from a web forum are my sole motivation!

In any case, the next carnival is in 2015 and you will be welcomed - especially if you would like to submit a procession entry and turn words into action?

accyman 18-06-2013 22:47

sadly things like carnivals and people celibrating as a commuinity are things that over the past 20 years we have been bullied into been ashamed of.Anything resembling tradition and been a british way of life has been belittled to the point where some think these traditions and ways are a waste of time.

our population has become diluted and those that come here have no interest in keeping tradition alive and theres 3 maybe four generations of a certain culture that prove that as they still live by choice in exclusion.

did this carnival and the past few look to me as grand as the ones when i was a little boy ?

well the answer to that is no they dont but that could be to do with the fact that now i see them with a a tainted view on the world where as when i was a little boy i was looking up in awe and wonder at the floats and not concerned with things like cost and how long the roads were goingto be diverted because i want to drive through town.

get the akash to do a float and ill be behind it all teh way with a knife and fork:D

im just glad some folk are still trying

cashman 19-06-2013 06:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffberryb77 (Post 1063358)
First of all, the important stuff - flashy (and anyone else interested) loads of pictures submitted by attendees can be found on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/accringtoncarnival

Second, the less important stuff.

"it looked pretty pitiful" is an insult - this is presented as fact, rather than opinion.

Everybody is free to criticise, but it should be backed up with reasoning. All I have seen on here is "it was pitiful", "it was rag-tag" and "wasn't it better in my day". I can tell you exactly what will destroy the carnival (and ultimately the town itself). It isn't health and safety gone mad, and it isn't even poundshops. It's attitude, pure and simple. Try taking of the cynical glasses and be constructive rather than destructive. We have had lots and lots of feedback (good and bad), but as long as its constructive (which nothing either you or guinness have said is) then that is fine. Stop telling us we should be better and start telling us how we can be better.

I think you are very confused if you think I am "obviously" not satisfied. Again the words used present the information as fact, rather than opinion.

I remember carnivals of old being big affairs. I also know it took 19 people two years to arrange the 1993 carnival, whereas five of us organised this one in six months. Also, the level of coverage and local support was much more widespread in those days.

What I (and the rest of the organisers) are trying to do is turn the carnival around, back to the 'good old days' - as highlighted by AccyDave.

If you think I am being over-sensitive, fine - I would rather be seen as someone who cares and will fight with passion for the town, than as someone who picks holes in others actually trying to make a difference, and instead sits and moans about 'world war 3', 'ian brady', and 'abu qatada', to name but three cheerful topics on this site.

I am very happy with how the carnival went, and particularly pleased with the spirit of those involved - all of whom have already asked how to get involved next time.

Thankfully, this is the only negativity I have encountered. It is not constructive at all, simply faceless people moaning despite having put little into the event. I have had messages of support through this site, twitter and facebook, and I certainly shall not thank one person on a forum for 'giving me the determination to improve'.

Believe it or not, I fuel my own determination - you think very highly of yourselves if you reckon two anonymous individuals from a web forum are my sole motivation!

In any case, the next carnival is in 2015 and you will be welcomed - especially if you would like to submit a procession entry and turn words into action?

Well Mr Berry, I put forward a suggestion, which yeh chose to ignore, instead yeh chose to disagree wi opposing views and Blow Yer Own Trumpet, also apart from self appreciating, Yeh choose to knock a site, YOU have contributed nothing too, apart from self praise.:rolleyes: Yeh may have done a good service wi the carnival, But yer up yer own backside as far as i'm concerned.:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 19-06-2013 06:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1063357)
Just a thought, are the schools actually involved? If not would be good to get em contributing in some way fer 2015, way i see it, the more kids are involved the better.:)

All Saint's School in clayton had a float...and believe me, the children were very excited to be involved in it.

I agree that getting the children involved in whatever way, can only be a good thing.
If they have a sense of community, then it will grow with them as they get older, and they will encourage their own children to get involved when they remember what fun they had with the venture.

cashman 19-06-2013 07:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1063369)
All Saint's School in clayton had a float...and believe me, the children were very excited to be involved in it.

I agree that getting the children involved in whatever way, can only be a good thing.
If they have a sense of community, then it will grow with them as they get older, and they will encourage their own children to get involved when they remember what fun they had with the venture.

That was the thought that was going around in my head.;)But this geezer chose not to respond, instead did what hes accusing others of.:rolleyes:

DtheP47 19-06-2013 07:29

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ffberryb77 (Post 1063358)

Dave in Germany posted this on another thread a few months ago as an aside to the Forum’s attack dogs rounding on a newbie. You may not have seen it ffberryb?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#444444][FONT=Verdana]
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1048520)
And there my friend, is your downfall. As you progress (should you The choice is yours young pilgrim, tread these walkways with caution, walk & talk quietly, notice much but say little at first until you achieve understanding & enlightenment or you have the taste of change on the wind. Oh, and always have a big stick handy to beat back the Bogeyman (or Woman) who lurk in darkened nooks & crannies. [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME~1/admin/LOCALS~1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

As Yoda says “ Do or do not there is no try”

Anybody who brings a bit of sunshine into people’s lives is to be applauded in my mind, anybody who brings a ray of sunshine into people’s lives voluntarily is to be applauded x 3.

There are plenty of people in real life and on here too quick to get out their matt grey pot of paint and try to stop the sunshining in.
Somebody on here even made an oblique attack on Dorothy McGregor for pities sake.

Yoda say’s it all for me, well done to all those who were actively involved in the Carnival, don’t let the clickers (sic) on here rain on your parade.

**DinG I owe you a pint for plagerising your post**

ffberryb77 19-06-2013 07:29

I see you are trying to get a response out of me. This is normally where things get personal which is a shame. I can't help but feel you have an axe to grind, maybe with me personally.

I apologise for having a different, more optimistic view than you, and for defending people who have put a hell of a lot of effort in.

I will not be dragged down to the level you wish to discuss, as it appears you have a lot of experience.

And for that reason, I'm out.

jaysay 19-06-2013 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffberryb77 (Post 1063373)
I see you are trying to get a response out of me. This is normally where things get personal which is a shame. I can't help but feel you have an axe to grind, maybe with me personally.

I apologise for having a different, more optimistic view than you, and for defending people who have put a hell of a lot of effort in.

I will not be dragged down to the level you wish to discuss, as it appears you have a lot of experience.

Thank Christ for that amen:hehetable

cashman 19-06-2013 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffberryb77 (Post 1063373)

I see yeh got a very high opinion of yerself, personally couldn't give a monkeys if yeh respond, cos yeh didn't to a civil suggestion, n as fer n axe to grind wi you personally, why? don't know yeh from adam, :rolleyes:

DaveinGermany 19-06-2013 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47;1063372[COLOR=#444444
**DinG I owe you a pint for plagerising your post**[/COLOR]

'Ere now DtP47, why is this bit in little letters? Should be big, bold & colourful! :D

I'll give you sufficient warning of when I'm turning to never you mind about that. And if it means I get free Beer, well quote away my friend, quote away! ;) :)

DtheP47 19-06-2013 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1063394)
'Ere now DtP47, why is this bit in little letters? Should be big, bold & colourful! :D

I'll give you sufficient warning of when I'm turning to never you mind about that. And if it means I get free Beer, well quote away my friend, quote away! ;) :)

OK DinG a pint for my plagiarising ;) and a pint for not correcting my spelling of said word :D

Taggy 19-06-2013 21:03

How come they don't go along Blackburn Road & past the Market Hall/Town Hall anymore?

Best Regards - Taggy

cashman 19-06-2013 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taggy (Post 1063458)
How come they don't go along Blackburn Road & past the Market Hall/Town Hall anymore?

Best Regards - Taggy

Dunno Taggy, when i was a lad they used to come down Burnley Rd i think.:confused:

Taggy 19-06-2013 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1063460)
Dunno Taggy, when i was a lad they used to come down Burnley Rd i think.:confused:

I can recall them coming in front of The Market Hall Cashy as I remember standing there watching it & also standing on the corner where The Commercial (Weatherspoons) is. I think they did come down Burnley Road & through the centre & then turn past the Town Hall.

Best Regards - Taggy

lancsdave 19-06-2013 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taggy (Post 1063458)

Best Regards - Taggy

I seem to recall it's all to do with cost of road closures.

Taggy 19-06-2013 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1063462)
I seem to recall it's all to do with cost of road closures.

...the cost to Tesco Dave?

Best Regards - Taggy

Alan Varrechia 19-06-2013 21:26

They would never get down Blackburn rd with all the parked cars in the way. :D:D:D

lancsdave 19-06-2013 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taggy (Post 1063463)
...the cost to Tesco Dave?

Best Regards - Taggy

Somewhere in the complexities of the issue it may well be a factor :D

gpick24 19-06-2013 21:32

I was on one of the floats in early 90`s :o started off on charter street I think, where they used have the fair, down B`burn road, past town hall, up Burnley road. We ended up at back of college on Sandy lane,

Taggy 19-06-2013 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1063465)
Somewhere in the complexities of the issue it may well be a factor :D

Yep...probably the Main one!;)

Best Regards - Taggy

DtheP47 19-06-2013 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1063460)

Seem to recall back in the day the floats and wagons assembled on Queens Road and headed off from there.

cashman 20-06-2013 06:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1063479)
Seem to recall back in the day the floats and wagons assembled on Queens Road and headed off from there.

Yeh they did assemble yon, i was living at 14 Burnley Rd back then n used to stand at door n watch em pass.:)

Mick 20-06-2013 06:35

I Must admit I did not see any info on the change of route
they used to come down Eagle st and down Blackburn road
we where in the Railway and I had my camera with me but nothing to take photos of

jaysay 20-06-2013 07:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taggy (Post 1063461)
I can recall them coming in front of The Market Hall Cashy as I remember standing there watching it & also standing on the corner where The Commercial (Weather spoons) is. I think they did come down Burnley Road & through the centre & then turn past the Town Hall.

Best Regards - Taggy

The possession used to start on the street which runs parallel with Blackburn Road, where Tommy Blanks tyres was or still is

Mick 20-06-2013 07:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1063489)
The possession used to start on the street which runs parallel with Blackburn Road, where Tommy Blanks tyres was or still is

Was/ is that Dale street jaysay ?

jaysay 20-06-2013 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1063491)
Was/ is that Dale street jaysay ?

That's it Mick can remember back in the 70s my mate put a float in on his flat wagon, it was for the institute of Advanced Motorists, there was a very badly mangled wrecked car on the back with all kinds of warning signs. We assembled in Dale Street. cheers

Taggy 20-06-2013 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1063489)

Yes that's ringing a bell now Jaysay. I'm trying to think where it ended, did it go up Manchester Road to the Park or am I getting confused?

Best regards - Taggy

jaysay 20-06-2013 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taggy (Post 1063503)
Yes that's ringing a bell now Jaysay. I'm trying to think where it ended, did it go up Manchester Road to the Park or am I getting confused?

Best regards - Taggy

Think it did, but I'm getting things mixed up going to Sandy Lane too, but in the 70s nearly sure it was the Park

Taggy 20-06-2013 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1063507)
Think it did, but I'm getting things mixed up going to Sandy Lane too, but in the 70s nearly sure it was the Park

Yep I'm almost sure I can recall ending up there when I was a nipper!

Best regards - Taggy

lancsdave 20-06-2013 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1063488)
I Must admit I did not see any info on the change of route
they used to come down Eagle st and down Blackburn road
we where in the Railway and I had my camera with me but nothing to take photos of

It wasn't a change of route from the last one :p

There's a bit about the history of it here

The World Famous Accrington Lions Community Carnival - A History

Less 20-06-2013 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1063521)
It wasn't a change of route from the last one :p

There's a bit about the history of it here

The World Famous Accrington Lions Community Carnival - A History

Very interesting thank's for the link.

Less 20-06-2013 13:10

Anyone noticed, how calm the thread has become?
Nobody claiming to be insulted, just AccyWeb doing it's thing and discussing How it was, at the same time not criticising the latest event?
Of course a great deal of effort went into keeping it alive, I don't think the thread starter meant to upset the organiser, was just putting forward his views compared with days gone by.
Of course it could, though shouldn't be considered an insult to the present day organisers, however, it wasn't I'm sure meant in that way.
He has his memories of grand parades, my grandchildren know nothing about that, but they enjoyed it, it was positive effort, now lets hope the organisers aren't put off, calm down and give us even more in 2015!
That is what community is about.
You never know, even AccyWeb might be stirred into putting a float in.

jaysay 20-06-2013 17:28

Very interesting link Dave

accyman 20-06-2013 17:33

iv always known teh people of accrington paid and built the hospital but i didnt nkow they also provided housing for nurses

people my age say how there was a better community spirit when we were kids just imagine how good it was back then

sadly history does seem to show we become less and less a community as time goes on

jaysay 20-06-2013 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1063598)
iv always known the people of accrington paid and built the hospital but i didn't know they also provided housing for nurses

people my age say how there was a better community spirit when we were kids just imagine how good it was back then

sadly history does seem to show we become less and less a community as time goes on

In the good old days accyman very few people had cars, there were no computers and mobile phones were a pipe dream, you took your holidays the last two weeks in July usually a week in Blackpool, no fortnight in Spain back then, and everybody knew their neighbours, uncle alan next door and auntie florry across the street, there was a community spirit back then, nowhere to be seen today, no local pubs to speak of very few clubs think there's only one in Ossy now and that's the Ossy Social Club (Con) Ya things have changed and I'm afraid its not for the better

katex 23-06-2013 08:36

Unfortunately, missed this years, however, my brother made a video which I was able to watch on DVD. Thought it was very good, actually.

I think there is a problem with acquiring a wagon due to high Liability Insurance, in case someone 'falls of the back of a lorry'.

Used to love the Peter Pan Club floats. Hundreds of paper flowers.

jaysay 23-06-2013 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 1063920)
Unfortunately, missed this years, however, my brother made a video which I was able to watch on DVD. Thought it was very good, actually.

I think there is a problem with acquiring a wagon due to high Liability Insurance, in case someone 'falls of the back of a lorry'.

Another casualty of elf and safety Kate:)

cashman 23-06-2013 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 1063920)

Used to love the Peter Pan Club floats. Hundreds of paper flowers.

Don't think its that alone Kate, Think the fact hardly any local firms have em these days is also a factor?

katex 23-06-2013 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1063922)
Don't think its that alone Kate, Think the fact hardly any local firms have em these days is also a factor?

Absolutely, Cashy. Just added another factor. x