Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   "Respect your elders" (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/respect-your-elders-65959.html)

Restless 17-04-2015 18:21

Re: "Respect your elders"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giacomo (Post 1138671)
I couldn't think of anything witty or relevant to put here. Sorry.
I promise to do better next time....

could've just not posted at all... then you woudlntve brought up a year-old dead thread

kestrelx 18-04-2015 12:29

Elders should not be respected just because they are elders - that is how we got the situation with Saville.

Gordon Booth 18-04-2015 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1139128)
Elders should not be respected just because they are elders - that is how we got the situation with Saville.

Rubbish- he was at it from a young age( although I know anybody over 30 is old now!:rolleyes:).
He got away with it with the people in power because he was famous, good for viewing figures, good for raising charity funds, and with the many ordinary people who knew about it because of fear.

Same with Cyril Smith- he started young but he was an MP- they seem to have different rules of acceptable behaviour than the rest of us so no one who knew thought it was worth mentioning.

Less 18-04-2015 14:02

Quote:

What a shame, we all know what he and others did was wrong, but you've admitted to a similar situation, that takes away your right to criticise these evil souls.

Margaret Pilkington 18-04-2015 14:02

I do not expect respect because of my age, or gender, but because I extend respect to others.....well, that is of course unless I discover they are unworthy of that respect.

Barrie Yates 18-04-2015 15:32

Some people appear to have a fixation on paedophiles and illegal drugs - I wonder why?

Less 18-04-2015 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1139141)
Some people appear to have a fixation on paedophiles and illegal drugs - I wonder why?

Perhaps it's a guilt thing?[emoji85] [emoji86] [emoji87]

Eric 18-04-2015 18:14

I'm starting not to care ... I'm running out of elders:mad: If it weren't for the Rollings Stones ... :D

Gordon Booth 18-04-2015 18:19

Quote:

Elders should not be respected just because they are elders .

I've got to agree!

Elders should be respected because they have more sense than you, talk more sense than you, post more sense than you and behave with more sense than you do.

Now show some respect!;)

Eric 18-04-2015 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1139175)
I've got to agree!

Elders should be respected because they have more sense than you, talk more sense than you, post more sense than you and behave with more sense than you do.

Not exactly a sisyphean task, eh.;)

Less 18-04-2015 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1139175)
I've got to agree!

Now show some respect!;)

Why should he respect anyone? He spent time with a guy that abused his sister then he went back again, not exactly a moral for better living we should bring our children forward with is it?

Gordon Booth 18-04-2015 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1139176)
Not exactly a sisyphean task, eh.;)

It is for some.:rolleyes:

Had to look that up. Thought you were breaking into Iroquoian.
Flossie hammered a bit of Latin into me but it was all Greek to me so it didn't seem worth doing Greek.

Accyexplorer 19-04-2015 00:57

I've always enjoyed listening to the older generation.
Not always but often, they are very interesting and there's a lot that can be learnt from their experiences (they know what life's about in my eyes).

"The best clasroom in the world is listening to a elderly persons experiences"-??

DaveinGermany 19-04-2015 07:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1139204)
"The best clasroom in the world is listening to a elderly persons experiences"-??

Aye, learn all about lumbago, rickets, bunions & how often they loose their false teeth or there's always how things were so much better in their day & how these young uns nowadays have got no idea. ;)

Humour aside though, the oldies can be a good source of anecdotes & experiences as in one point they're right, it was definitely a different world back in their days & the following generations are moving forward & in many cases forgetting lessons of the past.

cashman 19-04-2015 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1139204)
I've always enjoyed listening to the older generation.
Not always but often, they are very interesting and there's a lot that can be learnt from their experiences (they know what life's about in my eyes).

Aye perhaps Kestrelx has been listening to his brother? That would explain a lot.:rolleyes: