Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Ched Evans (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/ched-evans-66916.html)

hyndburner 05-01-2015 09:59

Ched Evans

(If this belongs in General Sport, then the moderators may well wish to move it. However, since it goes beyond sport to cover the wider question of the rehabilitation of offenders, it probably belongs in General Chat)

Should Ched Evans be allowed to sign a contract for a senior football team? The answer must be a resounding No. In the eyes of the law he is a convicted offender, and as a senior footballer would be seen as a representative of the supporters of the club, male and female, and a role model for young fans.

Yes, convicted offenders should be given a chance of rehabilitation, but that means being given employment in a job that enables them to rebuild their lives and their self esteem - not in a high profile public role. Like it or not, rehabilitation means starting low and working to build yourself up.

He claims he is innocent, but that can carry no weight as long as the conviction is in place. If his appeal is successful and he is declared innocent, that puts a completely different complexion on the matter.

But until that happens, he should keep his head down and avoid publicity.

DtheP47 05-01-2015 11:46

Re: Ched Evans

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyndburner (Post 1128444)
In the eyes of the law he is a convicted offender, and as a senior footballer would be seen as a representative of the supporters of the club, male and female, and a role model for young fans.

Footballers as a role model, give over hyndburner. Is that where society is headed?
Endemic racial abusers
Hiring OAP prostitutes
Bonking their sister in law
Shooting a youth team player with an air rifle.
Betting scandals
Deliberately setting out to break a fellow professionals leg and bragging about it in his biography.
And I haven't mentioned Joey Barton yet !!!

Margaret Pilkington 05-01-2015 11:56

I think that many young people do look up to footballers and try to be like them.......so whether you like it or not they ARE influential in their behaviour.
What Ched Evans did was to take advantage of a girl who could not give consent to a sexual act because she was intoxicated.....and he and his friend thought it would be OK to take advantage of the situation.......he was found guilty.
He has expressed no remorse for what he did.....He has denigrated the girl and called her seven kinds of blackguard, when what she did wrong was to get so drunk she had no control of herself......that does not give any man free rein to do anything he wants.
So, while I think that rehabilitation after prison is admirable.....his rehabilitation should be well away from the public gaze and those young enough and daft enough to think he is a fine chap.....and use him as a role model.

Gordon Booth 05-01-2015 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyndburner (Post 1128444)
Should Ched Evans be allowed to sign a contract for a senior football team? The answer must be a resounding No. In the eyes of the law he is a convicted offender, and as a senior footballer would be seen as a representative of the supporters of the club, male and female, and a role model for young fans.

Yes, convicted offenders should be given a chance of rehabilitation, but that means being given employment in a job that enables them to rebuild their lives and their self esteem - not in a high profile public role. Like it or not, rehabilitation means starting low and working to build yourself up.

He claims he is innocent, but that can carry no weight as long as the conviction is in place. If his appeal is successful and he is declared innocent, that puts a completely different complexion on the matter.

But until that happens, he should keep his head down and avoid publicity.

I don't agree.

He is an example to younger fans- that if you are convicted of rape you spend at least two and a half years in prison, you'll be on the sex offenders list, your career will be ruined and you'll struggle to find work. Your family life is probably also ruined. So think hard!
He's served his time, he's a footballer, what else can he do? Probably nothing, like most footballers. Let him live on benefits at our expense?
A high profile public role? He's a footballer for heavens sake, not an Archbishop or Prime Minister.
Role model? For what? Being another overpaid, overindulged footballer? The lives they lead can't inspire our young ones to much more than that.
Let him try to get on with the rest of his life, he's made a mess of it so far.

cashman 05-01-2015 12:11

I agree 100% with Margaret.P. as for what else can he do Gordon, he can be a labourer or summat, Not in the public eye by any means, Hes made a mess of his life so far yeh say, well sod the victims is also what yer saying imho.:rolleyes:

Accyexplorer 05-01-2015 12:12

I don't really care for over paid drama queens kicking a inflated pigskin up and down a expensive lawn......imo he's a convicted, unapologetic (sex) beast and as such shouldn't be let anywhere near football again.

Big Dave 05-01-2015 13:30

Imo he has served his time, he still insists he didn't do what he was supposed to have done, only he (and his supposed victim) know the answer to that, If he was a shop worker would he not be allowed to serve(no pun intended) female customers or any trade
where he may come into contact with women, he happens to be a footballer by trade and should be allowed to return to it.

Rowlf 05-01-2015 16:02

I don't think he should be in the public eye i.e. playing football for a league side. I heard on the radio that the sponsors of the club that thought of signing him said they will pull out if he signs. I know he is not the first footballer to go to jail and that some have played again afterwards but youngsters do look up to these folk and I do not think someone with a criminal record is a fit role model.

Margaret Pilkington 05-01-2015 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 1128472)
Imo he has served his time, he still insists he didn't do what he was supposed to have done, only he (and his supposed victim) know the answer to that, If he was a shop worker would he not be allowed to serve(no pun intended) female customers or any trade
where he may come into contact with women, he happens to be a footballer by trade and should be allowed to return to it.

He may have spent some time in prison, but I was under the impression that he was released early on licence.
If he was a shop worker he would not have any influence over young, and impressionable young men who aspire to be like their idols.
He is the author of his own fate.....he threw away his career.
Let him return to football in some other capacity.......or let him find a new trade.
While in prison he could have learned some other skill which would have been served him on his release.
He is arrogant to think he can just pick up his life where he left off.

Margaret Pilkington 05-01-2015 16:33

And as for insisting he didn't do what he was accused of.....in the words of Mandy Rice Davies ' well, he would say that wouldn't he?'

Rowlf 05-01-2015 17:15

I agree 100% with you Margaret.

Accyexplorer 05-01-2015 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 1128472)

I wonder if you'd be of the same opinion if it was your daughter/loved one he supposedly raped?
Personally,I think 'the beast' should be castrated and shouldn't even be allowed to play for his local pub team let alone be allowed to go back to playing at a professional level.
I wonder if the same amount of effort is being put into his victim so that she can try and gain some sort of normality to her life after her attack.

I also second the "well, he would say that wouldn't he?" comment made by MP.

accyman 05-01-2015 18:31

mike tyson is a convicted rapist and he not only went on to box but is currently standing for some sort of poltical position in america

we dont let convicted rapists into teh UK ( well were not meant to ) but this was waved away when tyson wanted to come here

this footballer guy is appealing his conviction but until then he remains a convicted rapist which although is a horrible crime he is entitld to earn a living and football is his living

ya see all these pesky human rights laws getting in the way again.Legality over morality and the legality usually prevails

Margaret Pilkington 05-01-2015 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1128531)
mike tyson is a convicted rapist and he not only went on to box but is currently standing for some sort of poltical position in america

we dont let convicted rapists into teh UK ( well were not meant to ) but this was waved away when tyson wanted to come here

this footballer guy is appealing his conviction but until then he remains a convicted rapist which although is a horrible crime he is entitld to earn a living and football is his living

ya see all these pesky human rights laws getting in the way again.Legality over morality and the legality usually prevails

No, football WAS his living......he can do something else. Except he doesn't want to.......he is arrogant enough to think that he is entitled to return to football.
He CHOSE to act in a way the put his career in jeopardy......so he needs to suck it up. He only served half of his sentence.

Eric 05-01-2015 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1128531)

I kinda see where you are coming from ... but I don't see the problem with the concept of "human rights" per se, merely its application. I do see a link to political correctness ... in the sense that accusations of sexual assault, particularly if the accused has some sort of "profile," are becoming all too common. Problem is: there is a problem. And it's getting shunted aside all the hype of specific, newsworthy cases. While folks tut-tut in sometimes mock outrage, young women, particularly the vulnerable, suffer sexual assault and exploitation in alarmingly high numbers. If one argues that cases such as this will encourage more victims to come forward ... well it just ain't gonna happen. Only if their complaints are taken seriously by the police will they be willing to take the real risks involved in coming forward. Also, society must see them as victims, not as drunken sluts who were asking for it.

And I have issues with the role model argument. This guy is a, what, second rate soccer player? The real role models for the young are their peers. With a youth culture in which binge drinking is a weekend norm, stuff like this is going to happen without the help of "role models."

The attitudes of men towards women, particularly in their, let's say, sexual availability, have changed somewhat. But not enough. And with males in positions of power, probably not at all. So, while there definitely is a problem, wasting time and energy debating whether or not someone should be able to earn a living kicking a ball around ain't going to solve it.

Margaret Pilkington 05-01-2015 20:53

Eric, he may be what you call a'second rate' footballer.....but he had aspirations to play for Wales......and he had followers.
I agree with much of your post.
I did not see the girl in question as a slut, but just a silly girl who drank too much and did not see the dangers in her actions.
He engineered his own downfall by his actions, and prison didn't hurt him.......the denial of him being able to return to football is his true payment for his crime.

DtheP47 05-01-2015 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1128564)
Eric, he may be what you call a'second rate' footballer.....but he had aspirations to play for Wales......and he had followers.
I agree with much of your post.
I did not see the girl in question as a slut, but just a silly girl who drank too much and did not see the dangers in her actions.
He engineered his own downfall by his actions, and prison didn't hurt him.......the denial of him being able to return to football is his true payment for his crime.

Couple of points to mull over.
The poor girl has had to change her identity 5 times to avoid Internet trolls and their threats fuelled by a website paid for by Evan's supporters.
Sex offenders are not deemed fit and proper people to own or be directors under the Leagues criteria. So how Gordon Taylor can argue he should play again is beyond me.

Margaret Pilkington 06-01-2015 07:24

Eric, this second rate footballer scored 48 goals in 113 appearances, and has played as an international footballer for Wales 13 times.......and he does have a following as DtheP47 has pointed out....so much so, that they have helped fund a Google Page Ranking Website(though I think that much of the funding for that has come from his girlfriends parents, who are bow legged with brass.Though goodness alone knows why they would do something like that when he at best, cheated on their daughter, and at worst raped a girl) to support the guy.

I am not against him being gainfully employed.....but not as a footballer.

Barrie Yates 06-01-2015 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1128582)

I am not against him being gainfully employed.....but not as a footballer.

Perhaps as part of the sentence for all criminals there should be a list of all jobs that they are not allowed to take after they have completed their sentence.

Margaret Pilkington 06-01-2015 09:51

I don't think there would be an issue if he was not in the public eye.
But maybe he should have used his time in prison to develop some new skills.

cashman 06-01-2015 11:13

Read post 352 in Stanley section on Impossible Headlines thread, This is something i was completely unaware of, and if correct, puts a different light on this issue to me.:confused:

DtheP47 06-01-2015 13:11

One thing stands out irrefutably through all the allegations, counter allegations, rumour mill, et al.

The three males involved at no time prioritised this girls safety, they sought to take advantage of her.

cashman 06-01-2015 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1128606)
One thing stands out irrefutably through all the allegations, counter allegations, rumour mill, et al.

The three males involved at no time prioritised this girls safety, they sought to take advantage of her.

That is without any doubt to me D, I was more interested in what independant folk in this said.

Margaret Pilkington 06-01-2015 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1128597)
Read post 352 in Stanley section on Impossible Headlines thread, This is something i was completely unaware of, and if correct, puts a different light on this issue to me.:confused:

While this section of the forum is not one which I frequent....I did go and check out that post.
I am sceptical of this evidence. Had it been true, surely the defence barristers would have made much of it.
The fact is, he was found guilty of a serious offence and has to accept that it would affect his playing career.
If, on appeal, the conviction is quashed then it would be a different matter.
I think his name is always going to be followed by the tag 'rapist'....and which football club wants to risk their sponsors support by letting him play?

cashman 06-01-2015 13:40

I too am sceptical, in fact i posted later on yon, I fail to understand why the Press also aint jumped on this, it would "Sell" papers if so. I also bear in mind the fact innocent people have been hung, that were found guilty.

Margaret Pilkington 06-01-2015 13:46

Perhaps it was inadmissible as it could not be proved that these postings were made by the claimant.
It is not unknown for sad people to post such stuff claiming to be someone else.

Eric 06-01-2015 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1128612)
The fact is, he was found guilty of a serious offence....and which football club wants to risk their sponsors support by letting him play?

Being "found guilty" doesn't always mean that someone is guilty:

"I Didn?t Know What the Sky Looked Like Anymore": Ricky Jackson Exonerated After 39 Years in Jail | Democracy Now!

And, I have to admit that I'm surprised any club would even give him the time of day. Football is more a business than a sport, and clubs are supposed to be run by businessmen. So, why would any owner contemplate what would be a disastrous business move.:confused:

And if he is exonerated, his life and career are still ruined ... and it will be a step backwards for all those women who are real victims of those men who don't understand the difference between "consent" and "'No' means 'buy her another beer''.

Margaret Pilkington 06-01-2015 13:54

I appreciate that Eric......but that is the legal system.......and we have to accept that he was judged by his peers to be guilty.
I think he has done his case no good by trying to blacken the claimants name.
He could have said nothing about her.....but methinks he doth protest too much.......and he has his rich girlfriends family behind him to argue/support his case.

Yes, he has ruined his life and his career by thinking with what was in his trousers......and maybe a lot of men do that and get away with it.
I cannot see why the claimant would go through the proceedings knowing that her personal life would be under minute scrutiny, unless she truly did not consent.

If someone is too drunk to consent then the sexual act is rape....because the woman cannot give consent.
No means NO........and yes, you are right. If it proves that the girl lied then it means that women who are subjected to such attacks have their cases seen through very cynical eyes.
No amount of money would compensate me for being violated.

hyndburner 06-01-2015 15:01

Quote:

As I said in the opening post, if his appeal is successful, it puts a whole different complexion on the matter. And the complainant may have some serious questions to answer.

Until then, he's guilty in the eyes of the law and should keep his head down.

cashman 06-01-2015 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyndburner (Post 1128627)
As I said in the opening post, if his appeal is successful, it puts a whole different complexion on the matter. And the complainant may have some serious questions to answer.

Until then, he's guilty in the eyes of the law and should keep his head down.

As i said "If Correct" yer last line i agree 100%.

Sunflower49 07-01-2015 01:55

A decent man would not have taken advantage of a young woman who was intoxicated.

Footballers (like it or not), are role models to many young people.

A man who behaves as he did, should not be in a position of power and influence. He did the crime, he was aware of his position.

Yes she was daft to get drunk enough to render her unable to make decent decisions, but what she did was just that, daft. What HE did, was unforgivable, cruel, indecent and vicious.

If he is allowed to return to a position where he is admired and influential, it is a bad day for civilisation and a worse day for feminism.

Accyexplorer 07-01-2015 05:59

I've looked at this fella's case and after looking at the evidence etc I conclude he's a perverted mucker but i don't think he a 'rapist' (by definition).

Margaret Pilkington 07-01-2015 06:36

If the woman did not give consent, then he raped her....that, by definition makes him a rapist.

Accyexplorer 07-01-2015 07:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1128731)
If the woman did not give consent, then he raped her....that, by definition makes him a rapist.

Drunk sex isn't rape (well I hope it's not),of course having sex with an unconscious woman 'is rape', but I can't find any evidence that suggests she was 'unconscious'.

I may be wrong but, I think this is a case of a girl who went out trying to get herself a footballer (social trophy) so she could brag to friends etc but when she woke in the morning allegedly without recollection of the nights events felt low and used and reported it to the police.
Imo, it's more to do with third wave feminism expanding the definition of rape to include whatever they want so as to catch more folk.

The links below are just a couple from what changed my view on this case.

Ched Evans: Sorry, but all rapes are not the same - Telegraph

What Ched Evans did was ugly and sleazy. But what the lynch mob are doing is barbaric - Breitbart

Margaret Pilkington 07-01-2015 07:05

It isn't rape if it was consensual......But the woman said she was too drunk to remember what happened......so there has to be doubt that she consented or the trial would not have gone ahead.

Margaret Pilkington 07-01-2015 07:11

One of the articles that you have linked to your post says that a porter heard no sounds of distress.......well, to be distressed you have to be aware of what is happening......and even the article concludes that it could have been rape.
As for the comment about those who are interested in football, it isn't all about football. But it is about how someone on the public eye thinks they can treat women

DtheP47 07-01-2015 12:14

In sentencing Evans, the judge said: "CCTV footage shows, in my view, the extent of her intoxication when she stumbled into your friend. As the jury have found, she was in no condition to have sexual intercourse" BBC News Online

Evans's victim is still experiencing repeated harassment is a direct result of Evans's protestations of innocence fuelled and funded by his mates and gf's family.
There may well yet be a case heard in court regarding that harrasment and hounding.

AccyMad 07-01-2015 13:17

Has agreed terms with Oldham Athletic apparently - then again they've shown their lack of morals in the past when they had Lee Hughes on their books, wouldn't be happy if I was a Latics fan (& there was I thinking I was embarrassed by the whole Stanley selling tickets for a game that never happened thing)

Neil 07-01-2015 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1128733)
It isn't rape if it was consensual......But the woman said she was too drunk to remember what happened......so there has to be doubt that she consented or the trial would not have gone ahead.

She can't remember what she did so she can't remember if she said no. She also can't remember what her actions were. Without painting a picture it could be very easy for the man to think everything was ok depend on what was actually going on between them.

Accyexplorer 07-01-2015 13:44

warning may contain words some viewers may find offensive
Key and Undisputed Facts

He has a messed up idea of what constitutes a good night out in Rhyl......sordid/perverse? definitely...rape? possibly but I suppose it comes down to your definition of the word "rape"....

.....Its more a tale of our modern broken Britain :(....but is ched a "rapist" ?.......hmmm.

I know one thing for sure (if true) the noises/voices that were allegedly reported coming from that room were not the noises/voices of a women being raped.

Margaret Pilkington 07-01-2015 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1128773)
She can't remember what she did so she can't remember if she said no. She also can't remember what her actions were. Without painting a picture it could be very easy for the man to think everything was ok depend on what was actually going on between them.

Ched Evans thought with the thing that is tucked in his underpants....and that bit of a man's brain is never to be relied upon when making decisions.

There must have been doubt about the consensuality of the act or it would not have gone to court.

A footballer takes advantage of a drunken girl then contacts a mate to come and get a bit of the action.......that is not a moral or ethical thing to do....but he did it....he thought he could get away with it...that it would have no consequences.
His girlfriends father has said he will make up any financial shortfall that is left by sponsors taking their money away from Oldham Athletic...and he will pay ched Evans wages.
That is not something my father would have done for a chap like this...he would have been chasing him with a big knife to remove his gonads.

What a very unsavoury situation.

Gordon Booth 07-01-2015 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1128761)
In sentencing Evans, the judge said: "CCTV footage shows, in my view, the extent of her intoxication when she stumbled into your friend. As the jury have found, she was in no condition to have sexual intercourse" BBC News Online

So how come one man was guilty of rape, the other wasn't?

When you read the court proceedings, the evidence given, you are left wondering how the jury reached these two different decisions and was the guilty one wrong. Poor defence, poor summing up by the judge? PC correct police action?
Obviously others are not happy about the guilty verdict as the CCRC are fast tracking their investigation into whether this was a miscarriage of justice.

None of the parties involved come out of this as anything but unsavoury and the mob attacks on the internet from both sides are disgraceful.

It's just coming on that Oldham will sign him.

Overall, it might have been better if all involved had waited for the CCRC investigation to be concluded.

DtheP47 07-01-2015 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflower49 (Post 1128723)
A decent man would not have taken advantage of a young woman who was intoxicated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflower49 (Post 1128723)
If he is allowed to return to a position where he is admired and influential, it is a bad day for civilisation and a worse day for feminism.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1128785)
His girlfriends father has said he will make up any financial shortfall that is left by sponsors taking their money away from Oldham Athletic...and he will pay ched Evans wages.

Quote:

That is not something my father would have done for a chap like this...he would have been chasing him with a big knife to remove his gonads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1128786)
None of the parties involved come out of this as anything but unsavoury and the mob attacks on the internet from both sides are disgraceful.

Quote:

It's just coming on that Oldham will sign him.

He will have to develop a thicker carapace than the one he has already when the opposing fans set about him when he runs out on the pitch wherever he plays.

Neil 07-01-2015 15:37

Quote:

Ched Evans thought with the thing that is tucked in his underpants....and that bit of a man's brain is never to be relied upon when making decisions.

There must have been doubt about the consensuality of the act or it would not have gone to court.

A footballer takes advantage of a drunken girl then contacts a mate to come and get a bit of the action.......that is not a moral or ethical thing to do....but he did it....he thought he could get away with it...that it would have no consequences.

Was she drunk? If that account is true she didn't have a lot to drink

Neil 07-01-2015 15:39

Quote:

So how come one man was guilty of rape, the other wasn't?

That's what doesn't make much sense in this case. If she was to drunk to consent to the second man why wasn't she for the first?

Accyexplorer 07-01-2015 16:25

There's nothing "decent" about this fella or what he has done but (imo) he's no "rapist". What this case has done is set a precedent that women aren't responsible for the repercussions of their actions or decisions if they're intoxicated by alcohol and that makes drunken sex "rape".
No longer are we equal befote the law,If I get drunk and beat someones head in, I am guilty of assault........and being drunk would be no defence in court....just saying.

Barrie Yates 07-01-2015 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1128799)
That's what doesn't make much sense in this case. If she was to drunk to consent to the second man why wasn't she for the first?

Perhaps she had another couple of drinks between rounds 1 and 2? There are a few questions that do not seem to have been answered with any clarity if at all.
If it was his mates room why did his mate leave the hotel? - not sure if it was Travelodge or Premier Inn.
Was Evans also staying there? - assuming that his mate was actually staying there and had not taken a short time let
His mate picked her up on the street and apparently she was drunk then - was she trophy hunting or just that way inclined, or whatever?
Quite possible that, once the CCR/appeal is concluded (Supposedly being fast tracked?) and providing he loses, she will be seeking damages/compensation.
Of course there are also the points raised in earlier posts.
There just seems to be so many loose ends, both evidential and procedural, no doubt that will all be resolved at some stage - but the law applies to all and therefore the consequences should also apply to all, including the right to seek his/her chosen employment.

Margaret Pilkington 07-01-2015 17:46

He is entitled to seek gainful employment, but he should not be in the public eye.
I will not post again to this thread as I think all that can be said has been said.

Neil 07-01-2015 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1128813)
There's nothing "decent" about this fella or what he has done but (imo) he's no "rapist". What this case has done is set a precedent that women aren't responsible for the repercussions of their actions or decisions if they're intoxicated by alcohol and that makes drunken sex "rape".
No longer are we equal befote the law,If I get drunk and beat someones head in, I am guilty of assault........and being drunk would be no defence in court....just saying.

What if he was also drunk, would that mean he was unable to consent?

DtheP47 08-01-2015 10:47

Sky News web pages saying "Evans - Oldham FC deal off" according to their sources.

Redraine 08-01-2015 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1128825)
I will not post again to this thread as I think all that can be said has been said.

Not so, Margaret. Consider Allison Pearson in today's Telegraph:-

"In the Ched Evans case, the 19-year-old victim did not go to the police to report that she had been raped. She made no complaint whatsoever. She had no memory of being raped. She called the police to report a missing handbag. It was the police who suggested that she might have a case for rape against two well-known footballers.
Why might that have happened? Here’s another response to my Ched Evans’ piece. This is Deborah speaking:
“Dear Allison, Having recently sat as a juror on a rape case in which the defendant was acquitted, and having subsequently taken quite an interest in the subject, it strikes me that the motives of both the police and the CPS in bringing rape cases to court is often highly questionable. One really does wonder if both organisations are under some pressure to reach annual conviction targets – especially since the 2003 re-definition of what constitutes rape."

accyman 08-01-2015 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1128908)
Sky News web pages saying "Evans - Oldham FC deal off" according to their sources.

yes they withdrew the offer because board members and workers at the club recieved death threats towards their families and themselves if they went ahead and employed the footballer

feelings aside on what the rights and wrongs are id much prefer to leave the "do as we want or we will kill you " to the likes of isis and other terrorists

i hope the people who made the threats of death or harm towards employees chidren and familes are arrested and charged accordingly

Neil 08-01-2015 23:15

I do hope the Police will be tracking down all those who made death threats

hyndburner 09-01-2015 04:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redraine (Post 1128957)
In the Ched Evans case, the 19-year-old victim did not go to the police to report that she had been raped. She made no complaint whatsoever. She had no memory of being raped. She called the police to report a missing handbag. It was the police who suggested that she might have a case for rape against two well-known footballers.

Was that brought up at the trial, when presumably the victim was answering questions under oath? If not, why not? And if it WAS mentioned, why was he convicted?

Is it going to be brought up at the appeal? If so, the conviction may be quashed.

And THEN, Ched Evans can play football again.

Lucysgirl 10-01-2015 02:08

Circa 2006 Parliament debated the subject of rape and came to the conclusion that a drunken female cannot consent to sexual intercourse.

circa 2010-2012 politicians decided that not enough rape cases and also female assaults on males were being brought before the courts.

I'm presuming that the above is one reason why the footballers were brought before the court. Apparently there's usually one person's word against another and thus a conviction is difficult.

I'm surprised Ched Evans issued his recent public apology and asked his supporters not to hound the girl who was involved in the case because their solicitors usually advise both Plaintiffs and Defendants not to speak about the issue whilst legal actions are being pursued.

I think all three people involved in the case have nothing to be proud of and I certainly won't be booking a room in any Premier Inn. Especially now I know that over several years that that chain have had, over several years, desk clerks turning a blind eye to sordid goings on.

accyman 10-01-2015 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucysgirl (Post 1129226)
Circa 2006 Parliament debated the subject of rape and came to the conclusion that a drunken female cannot consent to sexual intercourse.

wow

after 2 pints you are legally too drunk to drive so by Parliaments thinking we should be brethalizing women before we have sex with them

your supposed to wear the bag not get the woman to blow in it :eek:

Neil 10-01-2015 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1129246)
wow

after 2 pints you are legally too drunk to drive so by Parliaments thinking we should be brethalizing women before we have sex with them

your supposed to wear the bag not get the woman to blow in it :eek:

Haha thats the end of your sex life fella :D

accyman 10-01-2015 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1129254)
Haha thats the end of your sex life fella :D

lol

also by buying a woman a lager you are conspiring to commit rape by parliaments logic

where as buying a woman a hoover for xmas is conspiring never to get laid again :( ( even if its a dyson )

Gordon Booth 10-01-2015 11:52

It's getting to the point where men are going to have to carry a pen and a couple of unsigned consent forms with them!

A couple? Well, it could be their lucky night!

MargaretR 10-01-2015 13:20

The erroneous notion that a woman is worth less than a man has only been declared false during my lifetime.
In the past wives were the husband's property and were expected to submit to a man's 'conjugal rights' to intercourse whether she wanted it or not. In the 1990s marital rape was at last regarded as a criminal offence in this country
Also, equal pay for equal work is an innovation still struggling to be acknowledged.
There is still a glass ceiling in some occupations.

It takes time for a culture to fully acknowledge that previous behaviour is no longer regarded as acceptable. Rape is an expression of power and control over a human being who the rapist regards as 'usable', and the rapist wishes to demonstrate superiority.

Too many men, of all ages, still cling to the notion that men are more worthy/valuable to society and use that false notion to justify the mistreatment of women.

That is why some men are condemning this man's action and some are condoning (finding excuses) for it.

Only when society fully accepts women as equal to men will rape be performed only by criminal psychopaths.

Gordon Booth 10-01-2015 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1129268)
In the past wives were the husband's property and were expected to submit to a man's 'conjugal rights' to intercourse whether she wanted it or not.

Ahh,MargaretR, they weren't called 'The Good Old Days' for nothing. Unfortunately a bit before my time(and yours?)

Also, equal pay for equal work is an innovation still struggling to be acknowledged.

Got to agree, I've always thought women miners, foundry workers and dustbin emptier's are underpaid!

Too many men, of all ages, still cling to the notion that men are more worthy/valuable to society.
Well, you would say that, wouldn't you? And I'd never accuse you of bias.

That is why some men are condemning this man's action and some are condoning (finding excuses) for it.
I don't think any man on this thread has condoned the action of either of these men, whether it was consensual or not but then neither can you condone the womans actions, consensual or not.
What has been questioned is the findings of the court and the jury and whether a man, having served the sentence he was given, should be allowed to restart doing the only thing he is any good at.
I would certainly question the mob rule which influences the clubs decision by threatening its staff and their daughters !

lettie 10-01-2015 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1128813)

How ridiculous... If you get drunk and beat someone's head in you will be guilty of assault. If she'd have got drunk and beaten someone's head in she would also be guilty of assault........ But, she didn't, did she?

If you got drunk and were sexually assaulted/raped, the law would therefore defend you too......But, you didn't, did you. :rolleyes:

Gordon Booth 10-01-2015 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by lettie (Post 1129289)

If you got drunk and were sexually assaulted/raped, the law would therefore defend you too

Believe me, lettie, a few people have thought of it. Although I think castration was more what they had in mind!;)

Barrie Yates 10-01-2015 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1129290)
Believe me, lettie, a few people have thought of it. Although I think castration was more what they had in mind!;)

With the wrong ends of two half bricks?

Gordon Booth 10-01-2015 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1129293)
With the wrong ends of two half bricks?

No half measures,Barrie. Two full bricks.

Got to be cruel to be kind!

Redraine 10-01-2015 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucysgirl (Post 1129226)

Not according to the judge in the case in his address to the jury:-
" "A woman clearly does not have the capacity to make a choice if she is completely unconscious through the effects of drink and drugs, but there are various stages of consciousness, from being wide awake to dim awareness of reality. In a state of dim and drunken awareness you may, or may not, be in a condition to make choices. So you will need to consider the evidence of the complainant's state and decide these two questions: was she in a condition in which she was capable of making any choice one way or another? If you are sure that she was not, then she did not consent. If, on the other hand, you conclude that she chose to agree to sexual intercourse, or may have done, then you must find the defendants not guilty."
The CCTV video shows the girl entering the hotel with McDonald then returning alone to pick up from the floor outside the entrance her pizza carton, then walking steadily back inside alone, and carrying the carton showing no signs of unsteadiness, let alone drunkenness.

Neil 10-01-2015 17:27

The account I read about court says she asked him to errrm perform a sexual act on her. When she was questioned about what the words meant she explained. That alone sounded like consent to me.
If a woman asked you to pop down there and do an impression of a dog drinking water I think anyone would take that as consent.

Gordon Booth 10-01-2015 18:33

Both readily admitted they had sex with her but both, surprisingly, admitted(how shall I put it?) they were unable to complete the act. So there was no forensic evidence of sex, only their open admissions. Evans even commented she complained about his poor performance.
Their evidence reads more like two stupid, naive, somewhat drunken idiots behaving badly than two rapists.
And of course one of them wasn't a rapist- he was found innocent! But the other was??

Lucysgirl 10-01-2015 22:41

The whole sordid affair wasn't supposed to be under public scrutiny and if that was a normal weekend it wouldn't have occurred. It just so happened that it was a May Bank holiday and a group of footballers were meeting up in Wales for a social break.

The female knew they were in town because they'd been in the club where she worked. She wasn't too drunk in the pizza bar to repulse one male who made advances towards her but managed to turn and stumble near the footballer, which according to the prosecution expert proved she was drunk.

I think the female had an agenda, just as the footballers had an agenda.

Lucysgirl 10-01-2015 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1129306)
Both readily admitted they had sex with her but both, surprisingly, admitted(how shall I put it?) they were unable to complete the act. So there was no forensic evidence of sex, only their open admissions. Evans even commented she complained about his poor performance.
Their evidence reads more like two stupid, naive, somewhat drunken idiots behaving badly than two rapists.
And of course one of them wasn't a rapist- he was found innocent! But the other was??

Brains aren't fully developed until we're about 25 - 26 years old. It's recognised that a female's brain is more advanced in maturity than a male's brain by at least two years - which would mean the 19 year old female had a brain of a 21+ yr old male. A male might be 23 years old but with so much chemical activity including testosterone circulating in his brain he's at a disadvantage against the thought power of a 23 year old female's brain by at least two years.

Barrie Yates 11-01-2015 07:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1129294)
No half measures,Barrie. Two full bricks.

Got to be cruel to be kind!

The wrong end of half a brick is rough & jagged;)

Lucysgirl 11-01-2015 20:09

Quote:

It's my understanding that the Police said they couldn't do anything about it because it had been deleted. However, just because a person deletes a tweet on their phone there is still a record of everything on most mobile phones (similarly as on a computer's hard drive even tho the item has been deleted). I'm sure the Police know that this is how undesirables get information from discarded mobile phones which have been sent for disposal.
==
"There is also the question of evidence which was unavailable at the trial. I.e., postings on Twitter which were deleted by the claimant but which are still showing on servers in the USA
These suggest that she was set on a course of entrapment by "landing a big one this time" and " and "going to get 2 pink Minis"."

Lucysgirl 11-01-2015 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redraine (Post 1129297)
Not according to the judge in the case in his address to the jury:-
" "A woman clearly does not have the capacity to make a choice if she is completely unconscious through the effects of drink and drugs, but there are various stages of consciousness, from being wide awake to dim awareness of reality. In a state of dim and drunken awareness you may, or may not, be in a condition to make choices. So you will need to consider the evidence of the complainant's state and decide these two questions: was she in a condition in which she was capable of making any choice one way or another? If you are sure that she was not, then she did not consent. If, on the other hand, you conclude that she chose to agree to sexual intercourse, or may have done, then you must find the defendants not guilty."

The CCTV video shows the girl entering the hotel with McDonald then returning alone to pick up from the floor outside the entrance her pizza carton, then walking steadily back inside alone, and carrying the carton showing no signs of unsteadiness, let alone drunkenness.

Every participant during the night in question had their own Agenda.

The crux of the matter is when it comes to the court appearance of the participants. I know from an acquaintance that for her divorce case in court that she was instructed by her solicitor on her makeup, her clothes and her demeanor. In the course of my lifetime I've also been told by policemen that I wouldn't recognise witnesses from first seeing them to later seeing them in the courtroom where it appeared "butter wouldn't melt in their mouths".

We make up our minds in the first few seconds of seeing a person and often it takes a darned sight longer to undo the first impressions.

Accyexplorer 11-01-2015 21:56

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 46432

Gordon Booth 12-01-2015 16:03

:o
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1129300)
If a woman asked you to pop down there and do an impression of a dog drinking water I think anyone would take that as consent.

Very graphically and clearly put, Neil but couldn't one have put it rather more delicately?

After all there are people of genteel persuasions on Accyweb!

Although, offhand, I can't think of one besides myself.;)

accyman 12-01-2015 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1129434)
:o

Very graphically and clearly put, Neil but couldn't one have put it rather more delicately?

After all there are people of genteel persuasions on Accyweb!

Although, offhand, I can't think of one besides myself.;)

rather than going home and prepparing a meal she offered him the opportunity to eat out ?

Gordon Booth 12-01-2015 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1129439)
rather than going home and prepparing a meal she offered him the opportunity to eat out ?

Oh dear, it gets worse!

I feel quite faint!

Redraine 05-10-2015 21:19

Granted leave to appeal his sentence as a result of "new evidence". Will a miscarriage of justice be revealed?

Redraine 25-07-2016 15:30

As the Appeal Court has considered the new evidence in this case it is to be hoped that he can go on and clear his name of the rape charge belatedly brought against him and for which there was never any justification. He was pilloried on social media at the time of the original trial when his offence appeared to be merely an offence which thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of youngsters commit every Saturday night without having the book thrown at them. I use the word "merely" advisedly, as his behaviour is just a sickening illustration of how far current morals have fallen. There was never any question of rape being committed but I feel physically sick when the undisputed events are described. Only overzealous policing resulted in charges being brought.