Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Wot A Job (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/wot-a-job-67206.html)

Aussie Irene 28-03-2015 00:26

Wot A Job

Just been reading Observer online. "Cleanup of chewing gum from pavements, in Accrington town centre streets."
There must be a lot of aching jaws, if there is that much gum.
How times have changed. I remember in my school days, when the underside of wooden seats and chairs, especially in the classroom, used to be the main disposal point

Accyexplorer 28-03-2015 06:08

Re: Wot A Job

Personally,Ive never been a lover of chew gum,I think, it's a vulgar habit but that's just me.i understand folk may use it to mask unwanted smells on their breath (smoking,alcohol etc) but it's not for me.....

...AccyExplorer sits and waits for the designated gum bins,threat of a fine signs and gum free public buildings in Accrington.

Eric 28-03-2015 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1137202)
I remember in my school days, when the underside of wooden seats and chairs, especially in the classroom, used to be the main disposal point

I used to stuff it in someone else's inkwell ... Are you of the "inkwell generation.?";)

Margaret Pilkington 28-03-2015 18:58

The only time I chewed gum was when I worked in the weaving mill.
It wasn't something I liked, but it stopped your throat from getting dry with all the dust.
I didn't mind that it didn't taste of much.......a piece of the stuff could last me all week......I used to wrap it in waxed paper......and when I was disposing of it I put it in the sani bin in the ladies loo.

Michael1954 28-03-2015 19:47

I go through at least 20 pieces of nicotine gum a day, but I always dispose of them in paper tissues. At least I'm not on my previous 40 a day of Benson & Hedges.

Aussie Irene 28-03-2015 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1137270)
I used to stuff it in someone else's inkwell ... Are you of the "inkwell generation.?";)

Eric, I bet you were one of the naughty boys who put Carbide in other kids inkwells, to make the ink bubble over. I reckon throwing pens to stick into the ceiling, would be another one of your pranks. Those were the days

Barrie Yates 29-03-2015 16:17

I know one lad who in his final year at AGS drilled holes in the chalk stick and filled the hole with match heads, put a piece of kipper on top of the blackboard light bulb and glued down Jim Whittaker's (Jim Bowen), desk lid - he got away with all of them.

Eric 29-03-2015 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1137298)
Eric, I bet you were one of the naughty boys who put Carbide in other kids inkwells, to make the ink bubble over. I reckon throwing pens to stick into the ceiling, would be another one of your pranks. Those were the days

You should write a book: "A Sentimental Journey from Inkwells to I-Pads.";)

accyman 29-03-2015 18:44

my school pal never put chewing gum under his desk at school it was his main source for obtaining it the dirty sod

but to be fair he did put it in the bin when he got all the flavour out

Margaret Pilkington 29-03-2015 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1137365)
my school pal never put chewing gum under his desk at school it was his main source for obtaining it the dirty sod

but to be fair he did put it in the bin when he got all the flavour out

I bet he had a fantastic immune system:D