Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Migrant Crisis in Calais (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/migrant-crisis-in-calais-67496.html)

hyndburner 25-07-2015 19:15

Migrant Crisis in Calais

I think I need somebody to talk me through all these migrants assembling at Calais.

By all accounts, they entered Europe originally in Italy.....a thousand miles away from Calais.

So when they entered Italy, they were either legal or illegal.

If they were legal, then it became Italy's responsibility to deal with their resettlement.
If they were illegal, why did Italy let them travel the country and cross to France?

...and once they were in France....

If they were legal, then it became France's responsibility to deal with their resettlement.
If they were illegal, why did France let them travel the country and settle in Calais?

The Mayor of Calais is moaning that the UK aren't doing enough to deal with them.

Am I missing something here?

Margaret Pilkington 25-07-2015 19:29

Re: Migrant Crisis in Calais

No you are not missing anything.
Much as I feel for these people(it must be very difficult to pick up sticks and travel in appalling conditions to a country whose language you have no grasp of).....BUT, you are right legal or illegal, they are the responsibility of the country where they first make landfall.
This situation will not be cured by European countries accepting them and assimilating them...it will only be cured by stopping those who are exploiting these migrants and stopping the migrants from taking to the boats.

These migrants do not want to stay in either France or Italy because they do not have the same approach to doling out welfare that the UK does.......these migrants are attracted to the idea that they will be housed and given money and health care in the UK.
Maybe that is what the Mayor of Calais is alluding to.

Gordon Booth 25-07-2015 19:49

As I remember if you're an illegal economic migrant you can and should be deported to your country of origin if the country you are in doesn't want you.
If you're an asylum seeker you have to claim asylum in the first safe country you arrive in.
So legally you can't land in Italy, travel to the UK and claim asylum(or benefits!).
But the Italians, Greeks, French, Spanish don't want them, so they've all got a blind eye to the rules(we're the only ones who, being totally blind, seem to follow them).
It's all our fault, you obviously don't get a free house and benefits in Calais!

cashman 25-07-2015 22:40

We are the mugs of Europe simple as, it aint just migrants its the other members dont really give a stuff, they provide em wi next to nowt,and are quite happy to avoid responsibilities and let muggins britain sort em out, the other E.U. members ignore other stuff as well in general, just look at many smoking places in certain countries and think about whats enforced here,:rolleyes: when i lived in Spain the smoking ban was completely ignored, i used to go in my bank n i always went to the counter to see a certain guy, who was the only one that could speak english, he always got out his fags n gave me one oer the counter a fag that is.:D its changed now, but there are still certain establishments that dont give a stuff yet here yeh would get lynched.

Neil 26-07-2015 10:45

Why don't we take them back to France where they came from?

Rowlf 26-07-2015 12:26

to me one thing is simple our Government should stop ALL benefits to these so called immigrants. If the main attraction was no longer there they would not be so eager to get here. The EU and UN should lean on the other countries that they come through and make them more responsible. I also think the channel tunnel was the worst thing we ever built it was always going to cause problems at some point.

DaveinGermany 26-07-2015 14:48

UK will continue to be flooded with chancers & opportunist so long as the British public allow the political elite, bleating liberal lefties & putrescent anti British apologists to get away with their spineless ineptitude & hand wringing. There was a perfect opportunity in May to at least start making inroads into dealing with the problem but the populace failed themselves by re-electing the usual she-ite into power again.

Until sufficient people are directly affected & their personal pleasures, freedoms & liberties are curtailed, the current malaise will continue. When the reality truly hits home it will then, be sadly, to late to reverse the situation. UK will have become a subservient satellite of the corrupt, self serving EUSSR, or worse still, some kind of third world ghetto caliphate to the ever encroaching "Religion of peace".

Go on! Fill yer boots, cry racist all you like, I personally don't give a monkeys about your precious insensate faux outrage. I see things as they are & speak as I find, unfortunately there's to few of us nowadays who'll speak up about what many are also thinking but are obliged to keep shut because of the true bigots & racists holding sway.

Margaret Pilkington 26-07-2015 15:30

And you really think that any other party would have the nuts to do anything about the situation?
The last time I looked it was Blairs gang who thought that uncontrolled immigration was good, that giving welfare benefits to all and sundry was a neat trick....because it meant that there would always be a permanent voting base grateful for these things.

What swung it for the current government was the promise that there would be a referendum on the EU....oh yes, and the fear that the SNP would hijack any policies that Labour would be promoting......I have said it many many times, they are all the same!
Not in the politics game to make things better for us, more equal....to improve our lot.
They are in it to make sure they stay on the gravy train....make as much money as they can, contacts for when they lose their seats.
And on the issues of the referendum. I believe that the government are not legally obliged to follow the voters wishes when the results are known.....they may do what has happened in other countries....Like Ireland....who were sent back to vote again until they came up with the right answer.
Europe doesn't like us, because we didn't enter the single currency(thank God).....but as was seen with Greece.....we won't be allowed to leave.

If the Labour Party had been elected in May, do you really think that they would do anything different?
Or any other party for that matter.

The essence of this issue is to attack it in three ways.
Stop those who exploit those wanting to leave their country of origin in rickety boats.
Use current regulations and rules to deal with the migrants...That is. They become the responsibility of the country where landfall is made.
Make the UK less attractive to the migrants....deport, no health or welfare benefits.

This may all sound very hard, but unless these actions are implemented then they will continue to arrive.

Gordon Booth 26-07-2015 15:44

It's got to the point where the smugglers don't even try to land them.
Just enough fuel to get outside Libyan territorial waters, a good phone with the Italian coastguards emergency number on it, point them in the right direction and leave them to it. No risk for the smugglers.
The Australians got it right, top the fuel up, point them back to Libya and send them on their way.
It's cruel but word would soon get out in Libya(and Greece if they did the same) that those thousands of dollars they're paying would just be wasted money, better to use them to get back home.
That would also save all those wasted lives.
Every one of them who gets into Europe is spreading the message by phone 'I did it.You can do it'. The torrent will turn into a flood and floods can drown you.

Accyexplorer 26-07-2015 15:47

1 Attachment(s)
Blaming Imigrants for Britains problems again instead of past/present governments :rolleyes:

Attachment 50154

Trololololol :D

Margaret Pilkington 26-07-2015 15:51

Jason you cannot influence what went on in the past..it is history.
You can only change the future, but you have to have the cojones to make brave and maybe unpopular decisions. Too much notice has been taken of the bleeding heart liberals.
And laughing out loud really says that you do not understand the problem/situation.....that you think it doesn't affect you.

Gordon Booth 26-07-2015 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1145596)
Blaming Imigrants for Britains problems again instead of past/present governments :rolleyes:
Trololololol :D

You must be reading a different thread than this one!
No one on here has blamed immigrants for Britain's problems.
There's just a strength of opinion that uncontrolled immigration is a bad thing and Europe cannot take in all the worlds poor and displaced.

DaveinGermany 26-07-2015 16:02

I assume your query was pointed in my direction Ma?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1145590)
And you really think that any other party would have the nuts to do anything about the situation?

I believe the Nige & his crew(love 'em or hate 'em) made some telling suggestions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1145590)
If the Labour Party had been elected in May, do you really think that they would do anything different?
benefits.

O deary me, Liebour ..... :rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:those paragons of our society (as it suits them), hardly!

Now your Kippers, the political marmite, smeared between the mouldy & stale bread of tory & labour may not be the most appealing mouthful to Joe & Josephina public, but, they at least offered some form of sustenance to a hungry populace until hopefully a more substantial meal appears.

The "fruitcake" is at present only half baked, but eventually it will come out of the oven brimming with tasty, fulfilling goodness (hopefully, that or be burnt to a crisp) then there'll be a slices for all. If it wasn't for the Chef mixing up the ingredients there wouldn't even have been the option of pudding eventually. :)

Margaret Pilkington 26-07-2015 16:29

Yes Son it was.....and the problem with Nige and his crew was that they had only one real policy....It was getting out of the EU......and you all know my feelings on that subject....I really don't have to labour the point(no pun intended).
They had no believable policies on the welfare system or finance or for that matter any of the other important issues of the day...and a realist could see that they had a snowflakes chance in hell of getting into power.
And getting into power is what it is all about....a close run thing doesn't come up with the goods.
They all hiss into the same pot, none of them are to be trusted.....but we have to be governed.
It might not be what we want, they may be a shower of doo-doo.....but that is all we have got to work with......and to be fair it is all we have had to work with for a number of decades.
Someone come up with a better solution and I will vote for it.

Accyexplorer 26-07-2015 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1145597)
Jason you cannot influence what went on in the past..it is history.
You can only change the future, but you have to have the cojones to make brave and maybe unpopular decisions. Too much notice has been taken of the bleeding heart liberals.
And laughing out loud really says that you do not understand the problem/situation.....that you think it doesn't affect you.

I bet your glad you don't have to live with my brain eh M ;)

Surely,they can't be coming for our benefits system if that was the case there would be more heading for the likes of Germany etc where benefits are better :confused:

Perhaps the French could put a exclusion zone up with trespassers being jailed?

..as you've probably gathered,I don't have the answers :D

Neil 26-07-2015 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1145606)
Yes Son it was.....and the problem with Nige and his crew was that they had only one real policy....It was getting out of the EU......and you all know my feelings on that subject....I really don't have to labour the point(no pun intended)......

That is not true at all, UKIP had a full manifesto with lots of very good policies.
Did you vote for them or to sort out this EU problem like I did?

Neil 26-07-2015 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1145609)
Perhaps the French could put a exclusion zone up with trespassers being jailed?.....

Jailed? I'd be ok with shooting anyone that tries to enter the UK illegally

Gordon Booth 26-07-2015 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1145617)

It's just possible that might be breaching their Human Rights;)

Accyexplorer 26-07-2015 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1145617)

Spoken like a true EDL,UKIP pawn...

...you'd probably be ok with shooting anyone who metal detects illegally :D

DaveinGermany 26-07-2015 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1145609)
Surely,they can't be coming for our benefits system if that was the case there would be more heading for the likes of Germany where benefits are better :confused:

You reckon? A few facts for you about living in the land of the Fuhrer fella.

Language - spoken/ paperwork/officialdom = German, don't speak/read it, tough, you get an interpreter but you pay!

Hartz 4 - Dole €390,00 a month approx GBP 275,00

Accommodation for claimants will be paid but only what the Arbeitsamt (Dole office) deem acceptable, if they reckon it's to big for your "basic" requirements (roof, kitchenette, bedroom, toilet/bathroom, living room) it doesn't get paid or you find the difference.

Car - sell it or downsize to a fiat panda, savings - use them up first before they cough up.

Compulsory attendance to "invites" from AbtsAmt, paperwork & copies for job applications to be presented for inspection by your "Handler"

You even get a code to enter their jobs data base, which you must use as it's checked for time/effort/compliance.

availability - always, failure to comply = sanctions (money withheld), failure to attend an interview/taster day = sanctions (money withheld), only acceptable excuse being you were at another interview (proof required) or you were dead.

And all this just for starters! These are just broad outlines of how the system works here,just for your information mind. ;)

DaveinGermany 26-07-2015 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1145620)

Nope, I'd say more like a frustrated member of the public who's been continually, disregarded, disrespected & ignored by successive "Governments"

Ah, shooting detectorists, well if it keeps the peasantry happy ....... :D

Gordon Booth 26-07-2015 17:50

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1145623)
Ah, shooting detectorists, well if it keeps the peasantry happy ....... :D

Me first, me first!

Accyexplorer 26-07-2015 17:52

Are you saying Germany doesn't meet their criteria DinG?
Hasn't Germany suffered its far share in days gone by?...

....It's hard to stop folk who have dreamt of working in a dodgey backstreet carwash since they was little ;)

Accyexplorer 26-07-2015 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1145625)
Me first, me first!

I thought you'd given up detecting G ;)

Gordon Booth 26-07-2015 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1145630)
I thought you'd given up detecting G ;)

I have, that's why I'd enjoy an open season on detectorists, legal or not.;)

Accyexplorer 26-07-2015 18:03

Would you not prefer to shoot these poor folk that are trying to escape to a better living?

DaveinGermany 26-07-2015 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1145628)
Are you saying Germany doesn't meet their criteria DinG?

If by criteria you mean, you ain't getting something for nothing & if you want something out of the system, put something in first, no, I believe it certainly doesn't appeal to your average illegal.

Gordon Booth 26-07-2015 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1145633)
Would you not prefer to shoot these poor folk that are trying to escape to a better living?

Big job, that, AccE.
There's 1,200,000,000 people in Africa alone, most of them would have a better living in Europe.

Different question- are you so kind you're prepared to welcome over a billion people?
Not to mention the Middle east and Asia!

Accyexplorer 26-07-2015 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1145634)
If by criteria you mean, you ain't getting something for nothing & if you want something out of the system, put something in first, no, I believe it certainly doesn't appeal to your average illegal.

Can your 'average illegal' claim benefits in the uk,don't they have to claim asylum etc to claim?
I honestly don't know :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1145635)
Big job, that, AccE.
There's 1,200,000,000 people in Africa alone, most of them would have a better living in Europe.

Different question- are you so kind you're prepared to welcome over a billion people?
Not to mention the Middle east and Asia!

Isn't it time the EU stands up and makes these country's accountable for its citizens?...Like I've said, I don't have the answers....

...perhaps we could draft in the army to do the shooting since your not upto the job :p

Margaret Pilkington 26-07-2015 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1145612)
That is not true at all, UKIP had a full manifesto with lots of very good policies.
Did you vote for them or to sort out this EU problem like I did?

Neil what do you think?(and you know me very well by now...so that is a rhetorical question)
They had a full manifesto but I really didn't feel confident in their ability to do the things that they had in there...and if you asked most people why they voted for this party, it wasn't on what was in the manifesto, but more as a protest vote against the major parties, or on the 'out of the EU ticket'.
And some of the shenanigans that occurred before the election showed them to be unprofessional(can you call a politician unprofessional?)

They might have had good policies, but they are no good if you are not in a majority situation...and that was never going to happen so a vote for them was a wasted vote.

Margaret Pilkington 26-07-2015 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1145621)
You reckon? A few facts for you about living in the land of the Fuhrer fella.

Language - spoken/ paperwork/officialdom = German, don't speak/read it, tough, you get an interpreter but you pay!

Hartz 4 - Dole €390,00 a month approx GBP 275,00

Accommodation for claimants will be paid but only what the Arbeitsamt (Dole office) deem acceptable, if they reckon it's to big for your "basic" requirements (roof, kitchenette, bedroom, toilet/bathroom, living room) it doesn't get paid or you find the difference.

Car - sell it or downsize to a fiat panda, savings - use them up first before they cough up.

Compulsory attendance to "invites" from AbtsAmt, paperwork & copies for job applications to be presented for inspection by your "Handler"

You even get a code to enter their jobs data base, which you must use as it's checked for time/effort/compliance.

availability - always, failure to comply = sanctions (money withheld), failure to attend an interview/taster day = sanctions (money withheld), only acceptable excuse being you were at another interview (proof required) or you were dead.

And all this just for starters! These are just broad outlines of how the system works here,just for your information mind. ;)

That is exactly the way it should happen here too.
if these rules were applied rigorously then it might not seem such a haven for these people.

cashman 26-07-2015 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1145638)

They might have had good policies, but they are no good if you are not in a majority situation...and that was never going to happen so a vote for them was a wasted vote.

I have to disagree wi that line of thought, to me if enough voted UKIP it was the only chance to get the main parties off the pot. imho

Margaret Pilkington 26-07-2015 18:32

But it was never going to happen Cashy...those main parties have such a solid core of those who do not think about who to vote for, but vote the way their father voted.....You and I both know that there are those who would vote for a donkey as long as it was under the appropriate banner.
And if a party does not get into power, then however good their manifesto was, it will NEVER materialise.
That is why the opposition ALWAYS have the answer to the problems which beset the country...it is because their solutions are never going to be tested because they are not in power.

DaveinGermany 26-07-2015 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1145637)
Can your 'average illegal' claim benefits in the uk,don't they have to claim asylum etc to claim?
I honestly don't know :confused:

In theory no, as an "illegal" they have no rights to claim anything. As an asylum seeker, different story as they will be catered for. That said though "Asylum" should be claimed within the first safe country they enter to escape their persecution/repression.

And since when did we have adjoining borders with Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan or any number of African countries, for that matter & I'm pretty sure they didn't wash up on our beaches in a rubber dingy after navigating the North Atlantic & the English channel.

Neil 27-07-2015 01:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1145619)
It's just possible that might be breaching their Human Rights;)

Can we not class them as invading our little island?

Neil 27-07-2015 01:32

Quote:

UKIP yes EDL no thank you, the two are not linked and I wish to have no link between myself and the EDL thank you

Accyexplorer 27-07-2015 05:32

It just gets my goat up when folk talk about these poor souls like they're muck on their shoe,in my eyes these folk are no less worthy of respect than anyone else.
They cannot help the circumstances their born into,I accept we need to deal with the problem at Calais etc, but I'd like to see change in the way some folk talk about them. They're not disposable objects, they're human beings like the rest of us.

Mog 27-07-2015 06:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowlf (Post 1145572)
to me one thing is simple our Government should stop ALL benefits to these so called immigrants. If the main attraction was no longer there they would not be so eager to get here. The EU and UN should lean on the other countries that they come through and make them more responsible. I also think the channel tunnel was the worst thing we ever built it was always going to cause problems at some point.

Whatever makes you think that the Channel Tunnel was going to cause problems. And since when did WE build it.

Margaret Pilkington 27-07-2015 07:04

No they are not disposable objects, but then neither are they the responsibility of the UK.....they are in most cases economic migrants....they want a better life.
It is just that they are going about it in the wrong way.

These families pay the people smugglers goodness knows how much money, they put their lives in the hands of men who care nothing for their welfare and safety.
The answer Does NOT lie in Calais. The answer lies in finding those who exploit these families.
It lies in turning back the boats. Using gunboats if necessary. I think it was Gordon who said that Australia has the right answer....he was right, they do.
They have the right answer in ALL aspects of border control....no question about it!

I think that if you were a lorry driver who had been intimidated, inconvenienced and had your own livelihood threatened then you would (maybe) see the problem in a different light.
These people who want to come to the UK have nothing to contribute, and only see it as a ticket to an easy life paid for by our taxes.

Accyexplorer 27-07-2015 07:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1145695)
These people who want to come to the UK have nothing to contribute, and only see it as a ticket to an easy life paid for by our taxes.

Really? Most of the financial studies I have read in the beano state that immigrants actual add to the well being of an economy,usually arriving educated, fit and ready to work which is more than I can say for the child bearing,pyjama/tracksuit wearing dole dossers I see on a daily basis...just saying.

DtheP47 27-07-2015 08:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1145695)
They have the right answer in ALL aspects of border control....no question about it!

I think that if you were a lorry driver who had been intimidated, inconvenienced and had your own livelihood threatened then you would (maybe) see the problem in a different light.

A very erudite post as always Margaret but a pity you spoiled it by your last sentence.

Barrie Yates 27-07-2015 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1145697)
Really? Most of the financial studies I have read in the beano state that immigrants actual add to the well being of an economy,usually arriving educated, fit and ready to work which is more than I can say for the child bearing,pyjama/tracksuit wearing dole dossers I see on a daily basis...just saying.

I see that you are reading the Beano again:rolleyes:

Gordon Booth 27-07-2015 11:14

Quote:

Really? Most of the financial studies I have read in the beano state that immigrants actual add to the well being of an economy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1145711)
I see that you are reading the Beano again:rolleyes:

The Beano was much more fun when I was a lad!:)
If you believe a Beano financial study- well, that says it all.:rolleyes:

This thread is about the Calais migrant crisis and while controlled immigration does add to our well being, uncontrolled immigration can't do.
I've spent a lot of time with the NHS in the last two years and accept that without the foreign doctors, consultants, nurses, we wouldn't have much of an NHS and most of them were very good(just two exceptions). That's controlled immigration.
It does raise the question- where are all our expensively trained young doctors going? Emigrating for a better life??
When you see the videos of Calais you don't see women, children, fleeing from persecution and starvation.
You see hundreds of fit young men, chasing lorries, shouting about their 'Human Rights', threatening drivers.
These are, to a man, economic migrants who feel they have a right to come to Europe and expect, demand even, that we will give them that better life. At our cost.
When asked 'Why England' so many of them say quite openly 'Because in England we get money and a house, in Italy and France we don't'.
I haven't heard any of them say 'Because I'm a doctor, IT consultant, etc. and your country needs me, I can help you'.
As for the poor devils fleeing the Middle East etc- we spend £12 billion on foreign aid, where does it go? Stupid projects which never get finished, don't work, or aren't wanted, Swiss bank accounts, new mansions and Presidential palaces.
Spend that money wisely and directly on those people in their own countries or in making the camps they fled to better places to live until the madness settles and they can go home.
Make it a condition that their Governments spend it wisely and insist we keep strong controls over it, withdraw all aid if misused.
Used wisely £12 billion could go a long way to giving a 'better life' to an awful lot of people.

Margaret Pilkington 27-07-2015 11:31

Quote:

The financial studies on migrants are those who apply to come to this country through legal means...not these people who are trafficked.
Controlled migration, which is how Australia operates..using a skills points system...taking only the skills which will enrich their workforce is fine...but the uncontrolled migration which has changed the face of many towns and cities is not anything like that...it is an open door policy...come one come all.

Margaret Pilkington 27-07-2015 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1145705)
A very erudite post as always Margaret but a pity you spoiled it by your last sentence.

I am sorry that is how you see it, but there you go.
It is my honest opinion. I say it how I see it.

The whole people trafficking situation is wrong, it is exploiting the vulnerable, but it doesn't mean that we have to step in and take them...their first landfall is where they should be seeking asylum or migrant status and if that country is not equipped to cope with them then they should be repatriated to their own land and the country where landfall is possible need to tighten their border security.
By the time these people get to Calais it is too late.

DaveinGermany 27-07-2015 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1145686)
,in my eyes these folk are no less worthy of respect than anyone else.

A worthy sentiment indeed

Quote:

which is more than I can say for the child bearing,pyjama/tracksuit wearing dole dossers I see on a daily basis...just saying.

Totally negated by your later comment.

It appears your moral high horse may have a wonky leg. ;)

Accyexplorer 27-07-2015 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1145777)
A worthy sentiment indeed

Totally negated by your later comment.

It appears your moral high horse may have a wonky leg. ;)

A wonky leg or three,As "Ma" would say "I say it how I see it" ;)

Gordon Booth 27-07-2015 18:31

£12 billion!
We are one of the smaller countries in the world by size and population but we are the second biggest giver of aid in the world.
Half that money goes to major organisations such as the EU and the World Bank. They can't find what to spend it on so it sits in their banks earning interest-at our cost. Often for over two years! That's bureaucracy for you, even as homeless people starve.
10%, £1.2 billion, goes to consultants with some staff in the field getting £1000 a day.
Do we need consultants to help us buy tents, food, medicines, school books and ship them to where they're needed? A village needs a well? Do we need a £1000 a day consultant to tell us? Can't we employ our own experts for a bit less a day than that?
Yet still the bleeding hearts tell us we should open our borders, welcome in the millions of people who (quite rightly) would like a better life.
Short of housing, short of hospital beds, doctors, welfare money, school places, short of money, massively in debt.
Isn't it time we took a cool, hard look at what we can best offer those less well off than us?

Margaret Pilkington 27-07-2015 18:50

It isn't just a long hard look at what can be done...it is having the cojones to take unpopular actions.
There is too much talking and precious little action.
And if our borders were close to the country's where these people were coming from, then perhaps, just perhaps we should be taking responsibility for them.....but we aren't we are thousands of miles from the places these people are fleeing from.

DaveinGermany 27-07-2015 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1145782)
"I say it how I see it" ;)

And that, is exactly what other folk are doing!

To sort out Calais the French should deploy their foreign legion, firstly to control & round up the Migrants causing trouble, then using their logistics assets they should take them back to Africa.

Then they should come back & deal with their own French malcontents causing problems for the rest of the people trying to go about their lawful business in & around Calais

As to those crossing the med, they shouldn't be brought to Europe, their boats should be towed back to the exit ports along the African/Syrian coast, run aground & holed to make them unusable. The message needs to be reinforced that if they want asylum they should use the proper channels, apply from their home/safe Country on their own continent.

Illegal methods shouldn't be accepted or tolerated.

accyman 27-07-2015 22:56

the channel tunnel is Europe's colon and we aint at the food in end of it

DtheP47 28-07-2015 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1145717)
When you see the videos of Calais you don't see women, children, fleeing from persecution and starvation.
You see hundreds of fit young men, chasing lorries, shouting about their 'Human Rights', threatening drivers.
could go a long way to giving a 'better life' to an awful lot of people.

The fact you don't see videos of women and kids doesn't mean they are not there Gordon.
Extract from front page of todays Guardian:
The pitiful desperation of those in Camp Calais.
In the far corner of a cemetery on the outskirts of Calais a couple of gravediggers chat quietly as they wait beside a small freshly dug hole.
For Samir Khedija an unborn baby boy died at 22 weeks after his mother an Eritrean woman miscarried after falling from the back of a lorry as she tried to get into the UK.

Accyexplorer 28-07-2015 17:33

Perhaps the residents of Calais could relocate to the UK and leave Calais to the migrants :eek:

Gordon Booth 28-07-2015 17:38

That's very sad but you have to ask why she didn't ask for asylum in the first European country she arrived in.
When you see the videos of migrants in Calais you don't see women and children, I suspect she was an unfortunate one of few. I can't believe the BBC would avoid showing them.
Can't find the article on the internet.
2000 tried to storm Eurotunnel last night! Climbing those high fences isn't easy, you've got to be fit.

DaveinGermany 28-07-2015 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1145862)

The Grauniad, labour endorsing, leftist leaning, British hating rag! I'm sorry, but this unfortunate incident doesn't change my stance or opinions as to how the situation should be handled.

Accyexplorer 28-07-2015 18:31

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 50184

DaveinGermany 28-07-2015 18:37

And just what has America to do with Calais?

Margaret Pilkington 28-07-2015 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1145862)
The fact you don't see videos of women and kids doesn't mean they are not there Gordon.
The pitiful desperation of those in Camp Calais.
In the far corner of a cemetery on the outskirts of Calais a couple of gravediggers chat quietly as they wait beside a small freshly dug hole.
For Samir Khedija an unborn baby boy died at 22 weeks after his mother an Eritrean woman miscarried after falling from the back of a lorry as she tried to get into the UK.

While that is a sad story, she should never have been able to get to Calais.
She should have sought migrant/asylum seekers status at the first land fall.
If she had got into this country she would not have been able to work, to contribute...She would have been seeking a home, health care, benefits....this is the reason she was trying to get to the UK....not to get a job.

Yes the camp at Calais is pitiful, it is pitiful because nothing has been done to address the reasons why these people are there, either on this side of the channel or in France.

This needs to be sorted....and not by giving these people UK citizenship.....this would just encourage more to arrive.
They need to be repatriated to their countries of origin.
Britain gives much in the form of Foreign aid...some of it should be directed at this problem rather than places like India who neither needs nor wants foreign aid from us.

DtheP47 28-07-2015 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1145867)

You need to know where to look, as it is with most things Gordon.
Fleeting fixtures and precarious lives in the migrant camp of Fortress Calais | World news | The Guardian

DtheP47 28-07-2015 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1145874)
The Grauniad, labour endorsing, leftist leaning, British hating rag! I'm sorry, but this unfortunate incident doesn't change my stance or opinions as to how the situation should be handled.

Not much labour endorsing, leftist leaning British hating in this article DinG

Gordon Booth 28-07-2015 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1145893)
You need to know where to look, as it is with most things Gordon.

I didn't look that hard, DtheP, I'm not a Guardian reader, or fan.

Accyexplorer 29-07-2015 05:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1145876)
And just what has America to do with Calais?

Not a lot,but that's kinda missing the point....

. we was all put on this planet and should be free to roam without restraint or folk questioning our motives.....it's a nice thought ;)

cashman 29-07-2015 07:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1145914)

. we was all put on this planet and should be free to roam without restraint or folk questioning our motives.....it's a nice thought ;)

In la-la land,:rolleyes: take a stroll through North Korea @ such places and see if that applies.

DtheP47 29-07-2015 07:01

[QUOTE=Gordon Booth;1145867]Can't find the article on the internet.
QUOTE]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1145897)
I didn't look that hard, DtheP, I'm not a Guardian reader, or fan.

Bit of a waste of pixels and motor neurons typing it then Gordon, eh?

Then again we are not alone in that on this thread eh?

Margaret Pilkington 29-07-2015 07:06

Quote:

You may believe that, but I think you will find that most countries employ some sort of border control.....some much more successfully than others.
There are some countries that you would not wish to stray into, at any price.

Margaret Pilkington 29-07-2015 07:12

[QUOTE=DtheP47;1145922]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1145867)
QUOTE]

No, it is not a waste of pixels or neurones.
You initially posted something which you felt would support your stance on this subject.....but only later(after Gordon had said he couldn't find anything on the Internet about it) you posted a link.
Now you may not mean the comment above to be arrogant and superior, but that is how it comes across.

You really need to remember that some of the older members may not have the skills to search effectively for information.....and if they do not find it at the first attempt, may give up....especially
if they feel the publication quoted it unreliable,biased or some such reason.

If you really want to give weight to your opinion , then do the decent thing and post a link so that we can make our own judgements.

cashman 29-07-2015 07:16

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1145924)
You may believe that, but I think you will find that most countries employ some sort of border control.....some much more successfully than others.
There are some countries that you would not wish to stray into, at any price.

Not sure he believes it, but he sure "Thinks" it n thats the dangerous bit.!!:D

Margaret Pilkington 29-07-2015 07:19

As a postscript to my above post, it is just three weeks since Gordon lost his wife(he cared for her at home for a long time - this leaves a huge hole in his life)....he is coming here to distract him from his loss....he does not need this kind of comment levelled at him.

Accyexplorer 29-07-2015 08:45

Sorry,As clayton folk,you're no longer allowed into Accrington "we are full" ;)

Margaret Pilkington 29-07-2015 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1145933)
Sorry,As clayton folk,you're no longer allowed into Accrington "we are full" ;)

It didn't look full when I was down there this morning.
And you are being pedantic. This is the UK....we can go where we want within the boundaries of this country.....however, if we wish to travel outside the bounds of this country we have to follow the rules and have documents that give us the freedom to travel.......document which tell the border services of the countries we plan to enter, who we are, where we come from etc.
This is how it is done.
We must also be capable of supporting ourselves during our wanderings.

Accyexplorer 29-07-2015 09:22

I wonder how much of the land of England we actually use.....40%? Not exactly full either.
As for your illegal escapade into town we'll turn a blind eye...this time :)

Margaret Pilkington 29-07-2015 10:36

It isn't just a case of space as I am sure you know. It is a case of having the infrastructure, the houses, medical facilities etc all the things that people need to lead productive lives.

Can you imagine someone walking into your house at teatime, sitting down at your table, eating the food you have worked hard to provide, using the home that you saved so hard to get for your family?
This is an analogy that equates to what these illegal migrants are doing.
Now if that sits well with you, then fine. But it does not sit well with me.

We have absolutely no responsibility to these people.
They chose to leave their homeland.

And as for the article in the Guardian, it is calculated emotional blackmail..... There are many women in Eritrea who lose babies......and as cold as this may sound the women accept it as a fact of life...They know they will go on and have other children.

We cannot be saviours of the worlds poor and homeless.....we have plenty that could be looked after who were born here!

accyman 29-07-2015 11:17

i think them that rant on about how illegals etc should be taken in with open arms should give them a room in their house and if they dont have a spare room they should give them their room and sleep in the shed

you want em you pay for and keep em

Accyexplorer 29-07-2015 11:18

I think,we'll just have to agree to disagree again M :)....neither of us have the answer to the worlds problems....if you want to carry on debating this see DtheP,I'm done with this thread topic :D

Margaret Pilkington 29-07-2015 11:29

I can do that!
But you didn't answer my question... that is OK, it tells me what I wanted to know.

maxthecollie 29-07-2015 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1145943)
It isn't just a case of space as I am sure you know. It is a case of having the infrastructure, the houses, medical facilities etc all the things that people need to lead productive lives.

Can you imagine someone walking into your house at teatime, sitting down at your table, eating the food you have worked hard to provide, using the home that you saved so hard to get for your family?
This is an analogy that equates to what these illegal migrants are doing.
Now if that sits well with you, then fine. But it does not sit well with me.

We have absolutely no responsibility to these people.
They chose to leave their homeland.

And as for the article in the Guardian, it is calculated emotional blackmail..... There are many women in Eritrea who lose babies......and as cold as this may sound the women accept it as a fact of life...They know they will go on and have other children.

We cannot be saviours of the worlds poor and homeless.....we have plenty that could be looked after who were born here!

Well spoken Margaret

Margaret Pilkington 29-07-2015 12:27

Thank you Frank.
I feel sure I am not the only one with these views.
I am not callous, or uncharitable, but you just have to be realistic about what we can do..and indeed what we should do.
Actions have consequences.....even charitable ones.

DaveinGermany 29-07-2015 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1145894)
Not much labour endorsing, leftist leaning British hating in this article DinG

There doesn't need to be DtP, highlighting the "tragedy" of the loss of an unborn child by an African illegal immigrant is to my mind a typically biased leftist apologists approach. On the same day in UK how many other British women have suffered a similar loss? It's not made the press though as it doesn't fit the whining, bleating crowds agenda.

Quote:

And the point being?

Sure people are free to roam, just so long as they follow the accepted protocols, hell even I'm an economic migrant. A Brit, living in Germany, non nationalised (although I was offered it) British passport holding individual. I made my choice & as such had to endure the rigmarole, chicanery & tedious procedures, learnt to read, write & speak the language of my host nation & all at no cost to them as I paid for & supported myself.

Subtle difference don't you think? I've been here now 30+ years (9 of those with the Military) the rest as a participant in everyday German society, working at various jobs, paying my taxes, integrating & accepting how things are over here. If you want to be part of anything it's only right you play the game & not approach it with a sense of entitlement trying to buck the system, if you do (as these illegals are) well, don't be surprised at the resentment you get.

accyman 29-07-2015 12:53

hundreds of thousands of children will be put into child poverty when the new working tax credits come into play because there isnt any money in the pot but rather than stop importing more misery and leeches the government is simply going to change the requirements for been in poverty so that despite not having any money or enough to live on you are no longer in poverty your well off without a pot to pee in

people arnt racists they are sick and fed up of going without so that people who cant be bothered to stay in their own countries and sort their own problems out can benefit at other peoples expense

cashman 29-07-2015 12:53

Accyexplorer has reached a new height in stupidity i reckon.:rolleyes:

Gordon Booth 29-07-2015 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1145922)

No, my screen looks fine, DtheP, no pixels lost and a motor neuron is a nerve cell so using it won't waste it.

So stop worrying about wasting your pixels and motor neurons and use some telling us if you actually have an opinion on this matter. You haven't so far, posting links tells us little, especially when they're from the Guardian.

Accyexplorer 29-07-2015 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1145965)
Accyexplorer has reached a new height in stupidity i reckon.:rolleyes:

Just when you thought it was possible eh C :bootyshak:

...Group hug :cuddle:

DtheP47 29-07-2015 20:34

Gordon you posted “When you see the videos of Calais you don't see women, children, fleeing from persecution and starvation.” The implication being they are not there and demonstrating just how poorly informed you are.
I posted an extract from a Left wing newspaper demonstrating they are indeed there, desperate and unfortunates cheek and jowl with their menfolk.
You posted you couldn’t find the link making me either a fantasist or you showing again how indeed you are apparently so poorly informed.
End of, really no need to debate or substantiate my leanings or persuasions.
And Margaret’s guff of excuse and about treating you with kid gloves because of your circumstances has more holes than that colander for sale in the age concern shop.

Margaret Pilkington 29-07-2015 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1146004)
Gordon you posted “When you see the videos of Calais you don't see women, children, fleeing from persecution and starvation.” The implication being they are not there and demonstrating just how poorly informed you are.
I posted an extract from a Left wing newspaper demonstrating they are indeed there, desperate and unfortunates cheek and jowl their menfolk.
You posted you couldn’t find the link making me either a fantasist or you showing again how indeed you are apparently so poorly informed.
End of, really no need to debate or substantiate my leanings or persuasions.
And Margaret’s guff of excuse and about treating you with kid gloves because of your circumstances has more holes than that colander for sale in the age concern shop.

Post 52 was the one where you outlined the story. You did not post a link until post 59....as I said not everyone on here is as adept as you at searching for things......and suddenly I have gone from erudite to guff.

I did not suggest that Gordon be treated with kid gloves.....what I did was remind you that Gordon was in the very early stages of a grief process.....and as such maybe he wasn't as able as usual to process or search out information.
I can see no evidence to suggest that Gordon or anyone else was branding you a fantasist...And if you haven't seen something, then you haven't seen it.
It doesn't make you ill informed especially not when you are concentrating on getting your life back together.
You really are an arrogant piece of work. Lacking in compassion, but yet posting bleeding heart, liberal hand wringing stuff about illegal migrants in another country!

Margaret Pilkington 29-07-2015 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1145998)
Just when you thought it was possible eh C :bootyshak:

...Group hug :cuddle:

I thought you had given up on this thread Jason?

Accyexplorer 29-07-2015 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1146008)
I thought you had given up on this thread Jason?

Didnt I say that I was done with the "topic"? Besides,you know full well what it's like when you say your done with a thread then you want to post again ;)

accyman 30-07-2015 01:36

i will no longer be posting on this thread

accyman 30-07-2015 01:36

ok im back :D

Margaret Pilkington 30-07-2015 06:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1146010)
Didnt I say that I was done with the "topic"? Besides,you know full well what it's like when you say your done with a thread then you want to post again ;)

And there I was thinking that changing your mind was a female thing Jason;).

Accyexplorer 30-07-2015 10:32

on the contrary M,I became quite well known for my Uturns on this forum :D

Margaret Pilkington 30-07-2015 10:35

So you are in touch with your feminine side then!
Nothing wrong with a change....it is as good as a rest.

Accyexplorer 30-07-2015 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1146041)
So you are in touch with your feminine side then!.

Although I'm not into wearing lippy,I have crashed the car into a parked car and remained totally blameless ;)

Margaret Pilkington 30-07-2015 20:21

You need to take your high heels off before you drive.....anyway enough of this thread wander...we are going to be getting the cane off the headmaster if we continue in this vein.