Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Call 105, How re-assuring, Or Not? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/call-105-how-re-assuring-or-not-68825.html)

Less 18-01-2017 20:56

Call 105, How re-assuring, Or Not?

Just seen an advert, if you have a power cut, don't panic just call the new emergency service, 105.

Now, call me a pessimist if you will but somehow, I don't really like the idea of a new number to ring if I have a power cut, I've manged to survive many power cuts without ringing any number, because power cuts were very, very, rare.

Is this new service an indication that power cuts are to become common place?

If so, what use is ringing 105 to have someone confirm that the reason I can't see the keypad in front of my nose is because I'm suffering a power cut.

I think I would prefer life where I don't need to ring 105 because I don't ever suffer a power cut, that to me is service.

Power Cut? Call 105 Free | Report & Solve Electricity Issues

Stevie R 18-01-2017 22:50

Re: Call 105, How re-assuring, Or Not?

Always got candles in,just in case.

Power strikes and The 3 day week aren`t forgotten.

Accyexplorer 18-01-2017 22:54

We have a lot more equipment that rely on electric nowadays though,I'd say this new No is probably just a safety measure to combat the overwhelming amount of calls energy company's get during a blackout by folk wondering when they'll be able to play with their train sets again ;)

I remember the days when powercuts were frequent,folk had to adapt and cope without electric because there was no numbers to ring,folk were aware that if there was a blackout at home then they needed to be prepared.
We kept candles,torches and had a wireless that ran on batteries and we just got on with life until the lights came back on.

accyman 19-01-2017 08:57

i got told by an electritian that came out doing repairs one time that the main cause is when they build new housing estates and dont upgrade the substation

maybe its cheaper to put a 105 number than it is to ensure a substation can cope with the extra demand

Neil 19-01-2017 09:14

A bloke looking for an underground fault on the other side of my road a few years ago told me they lost many of the underground cable drawings years ago in my area. I can't remember if he said it was a fire or something else.

Less 19-01-2017 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie R (Post 1185755)
Always got candles in,just in case.

Power strikes and The 3 day week aren`t forgotten.

No they aren't and it's memories such as those that make me wonder why we suddenly need an emergency number are those days about to return?

Margaret Pilkington 19-01-2017 09:50

My dear old ma gets a lot of power cuts.
We were told that this is because the substation that services her supply is subject to flooding.
This short number will be a help to her as it will enable her to get in touch with them easily.
She is down on their list as 'vulnerable' I don't know if this makes a difference, but they always ring her to find out if she is OK after the cut.
I have made sure that she has torches all over the house, but the main problem is her 'lifeline'...it puts in a call to me if her power is off for 4 hours or more.

Less 19-01-2017 10:05

Better safe than sorry I suppose, I'll get some extra tinned goods in, after all, most pubs rely on electric pumps these days.

Less 19-01-2017 12:49

Here's a prediction from about a year ago, 105 phone line is obviously the Governments solution to any shortfall in power.
https://www.theguardian.com/business...al-authorities

RainbowSix 19-01-2017 18:16

Less, just checking - your tin opener is not electric is it? lol
I'm sure we have a manual one somewhere in the draw :)

A lot would pick up the phone and try and call this new number only to find that they cannot because the phones need elektrickery to run too.

Less 19-01-2017 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowSix (Post 1185793)
Less, just checking - your tin opener is not electric is it? lol
I'm sure we have a manual one somewhere in the draw :)

A lot would pick up the phone and try and call this new number only to find that they cannot because the phones need elektrickery to run too.

Thank you for your concern, however the cans I buy always have ring pulls on them.
:130: yes, even that stuff.

As for phones, landlines have back up batteries built in circuit and mobiles well, it's an 0800 number so would you really pay extra to your supplier just to be told, 'yes your power is off at the moment and will stay off until it comes back on again'.

:)

maxthecollie 20-01-2017 07:57

We keep a spare corded phone for if ever there is a power cut.

Neil 20-01-2017 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1185834)
We keep a spare corded phone for if ever there is a power cut.

We have a corded phone in the bedroom, the ringer is always switched off but it's there in case needed

cashman 20-01-2017 11:51

We couldn't care less if we have a power cut tough, wait while it comes back always did n were still here.

Neil 20-01-2017 12:30

It depends how long it's off for. Some people have medical equipment at home that needs power. What about keeping older people warm with no electricity if it's off for a long time? They might just feel happy being reassured it's only going to be off an hour or two.