Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Vimto (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/vimto-70634.html)

Mark2009 05-07-2019 17:12

Vimto

I used to love Vimto but hadn't drunk it for probably more than 30 years. A friend offered me some the other day and it was nothing like I used to drink. Wonder why they had to change the recipe ? Is thee anything else other people liked that is very different today ?
Mark

TubbyLes 05-07-2019 17:49

Re: Vimto

Everything,but I am 80yrs old!

Margaret Pilkington 05-07-2019 18:39

I think the recipe changed several years ago.....and removing the sugar for artificial sweeteners did not help.
While I do not drink much fizzy pop....I do like a cold glass of 7 Up.....they have reduced the sugar by 30%.....and while the sweetener used is Stevia(or a steviocide)....totally natural, it no longer tastes like it did.

So I don't drink it anymore.

Less 05-07-2019 19:48

Could it be...
We remember our childhood favourites but have aged enough to be dissapointed that life and our bodies don't offer us the excitement we felt back then?
I know the first pint of bitter I ever bought was so much more exciting than the day to day drinks I have now and yet...
I wouldn't want to be without it, the first of every day does bring back such reassurance of stolen youthful memories.
[emoji5]

monkey hanger 06-07-2019 07:58

its nor just the taste of stuff thats changes but the size of the tins and packets that get smaller. tins of chocolates at christmas comes to mind. not a big sweet eater but i,m sure mars bars etc. are smaller than when i was a kid.

AccyMad 06-07-2019 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1229443)
its nor just the taste of stuff thats changes but the size of the tins and packets that get smaller. tins of chocolates at christmas comes to mind. not a big sweet eater but i,m sure mars bars etc. are smaller than when i was a kid.

Wagon wheels are definitely smaller :(

flashy 06-07-2019 08:29

Wham bars definately arent the same second time around

Exile on Spencer St 06-07-2019 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1229443)
... but i,m sure mars bars etc. are smaller than when i was a kid.

No, it's your hands that have got bigger!:rolleyes:

cashman 06-07-2019 11:02

mars bars are about half the size they were no doubt at all.

monkey hanger 06-07-2019 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1229445)
Wagon wheels are definitely smaller :(

wagon wheels should have their name changed. go car wheels more like it now.

Margaret Pilkington 06-07-2019 15:13

Cashy...you are so right.....I could never eat a whole Mars bar ...but now they are thinner and I could probably eat two(greedy guts)

Mark2009 06-07-2019 17:41

Havent eaten crisps for donkeys years, used to love smokey bacon with the bright orange flavour coating. Bet they aren't like that now.
Mark

ferret man 06-07-2019 21:51

Used to buy cobs of bread Lidl this is only weeks ago, they were a good size ish for £1-29 I think now they are half the size same price, I no longer buy them.

KiTChener 12-07-2019 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1229460)
Cashy...you are so right.....I could never eat a whole Mars bar ...but now they are thinner and I could probably eat two(greedy guts)

My wife, being diabetic, used to have a Mars bar if she went 'hypo' (low blood sugar), but over last 3/4 years, she had to eat two to have similar effect.

Margaret Pilkington 12-07-2019 16:38

I can believe that....and don't get me started on Walnut whips.
You can almost get a whole one in your mouth in one bite.

AccyMad 12-07-2019 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1229567)
I can believe that....and don't get me started on Walnut whips.
You can almost get a whole one in your mouth in one bite.

True & even worse, they now sell them WITHOUT a walnut on top & just market them as 'Whips' - world's gone mad!

Margaret Pilkington 12-07-2019 21:33

Yes...it is a right swizz.
At least Dick Turpin wore a mask!

monkey hanger 13-07-2019 07:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1229574)
True & even worse, they now sell them WITHOUT a walnut on top & just market them as 'Whips' - world's gone mad!

might have done that to stop claims against the firm for anyone who has a nut allergy who has eaten one by mistake.

Margaret Pilkington 13-07-2019 08:38

Why would you choose to eat a WALNUT whip if you had a nut allergy....the nut sits there on the top...and yes I know that there used to be one buried in the whipped filling inside.....but you would have to be seriously dumb(I mean -GOLD medal standard dumb) to consider eating one if you had a nut allergy.

No, monkey hanger...it is all down to screwing the consumer....getting as much as possible for the minimum quality.

I know that there are some the believe these manufacturers are doing their bit to battle the obesity crisis.....all it means is that instead of eating one bar of whatever(and feeling you had satisfied your desire for s treat) you might now eat TWO.

monkey hanger 13-07-2019 10:03

just trying to be a bit sarcastic on the no win no fee society with my post. do not get me on about the obesity crisis or laziness crisis as i call it. never been a big sweet eater or pop drinker but love my chips and pies. only half a stone heavier now than when i left school but i imagine i walk backwards more than most walk forwards nowadays .

Gareth 26-12-2019 15:39

So to the orginally posted question. I LOVE vimto, but I live in California where it is only available from importers. I have found my guy and pay about $6 a bottle - about 5 quid at current exchange rates. I get the "new" version. You can still buy the old one from importers from the middle east. Its much stickier and still in the glass bottle and the metal cap, but also a lot more expensive.

ferret man 26-12-2019 19:30

Iron brew or Lucozade don't taste the same as way back when

Margaret Pilkington 26-12-2019 20:11

Sprouts still taste the same...you can't mess with sprouts:D

Jimmy Clitheroe 26-12-2019 23:55

Would go more for Dandelion & Burdock meself - or the proper Sarsparilla from the stall in Blackburn market.
Someone once told me the flavours of lots of stuff changed after they started fluoridating the water but not sure if there's any truth in that.

Margaret Pilkington 27-12-2019 06:28

I think it might have more to do with removing the sugar and replacing it with nasty chemical sweeteners.

monkey hanger 30-12-2019 09:09

[QUOTE=Jimmy Clitheroe;1234899
Someone once told me the flavours of lots of stuff changed after they started fluoridating the water but not sure if there's any truth in that.[/QUOTE]

might be right there. water varies from area to area and thats why beer tastes different in some areas as well. had a dog once who would not drink tap water and had to buy bottles of it for him. used to drink polluted canal water though so it makes you think.

Margaret Pilkington 30-12-2019 09:37

I am not sure about the water angle...though yes tea and maybe Beer do taste different in different places.
I never had and problems with cordials or soft drinks until they started chuffing around with the recipes to allow for the reduction in sugar content....in my opinion, that is when the tastes changed.
I will not buy drinks that have chemical sweeteners in them.
I find it increasingly difficult to buy good quality cordials that have not been adulterated with these chemicals(I consider them to be poison and they do not reduce the risk of obesity one jot)
M&S in Blackburn stock NO fruit cordial that is not sugar free....the Preston Branch only have two varieties that are unadulterated.

monkey hanger 31-12-2019 09:10

so again you and others are forced to change your lifestyle because of others. where will all this rubbish, for want of a better word, end.

Margaret Pilkington 31-12-2019 09:21

Yes...I despise the nanny state.
I am still wearing trousers and jeans that I bought in 2000....so I can control my calorie consumption.
We have learned nothing.
Many years ago dairy produce was demonised and other ingredients were substituted for dairy...now they are saying that the healthy thing would have been to continue to eat such produce...but in moderation.

Some of the chemicals that are used to sweeten drinks are broken down into a formaldehyde like chemical....formaldehyde is what is used to embalm bodies...to preserve tissue.
It is also linked to cancers, but we think it is alright to give our children these drinks and foods?

It has been shown in studies that using sweeteners does not make much difference in weight control.

Exile on Spencer St 31-12-2019 09:33

Amusing article on the very topic...

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/1...ideas-of-2019/

Margaret Pilkington 31-12-2019 10:15

Yes... I like that....it is written in a humorous way, but yet it is a deadly serious subject.
How we feed and nourish our children is of paramount importance, but if we give youngsters chemicals that are not without problems(however safe the manufacturers say they are...well, of course they would wouldn't they....they are not going to fund research that tells everyone their product is poison)

I have been a label reader for more years than I like to mention....and the number of times I have made my other half put back food and drink that contains stuff I do not want my daughter's children to be subjected to....and he has rolled his eyes and told me that 'l know too much....and think too much'.

I prefer to give the children limited amounts of sugar....and then encourage them to run, cycle or play off the calories they have consumed.....and I think therein lies the rub.
Our children do not play out anymore.....they do not play skipping games, they do not chase around playing tag, or hide and seek....they do not build dens, climb trees, go exploring.
Maybe addressing this would be a start on tackling what is seen as an obesity crisis.

monkey hanger 31-12-2019 11:15

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;
Our children do not play out anymore.....they do not play skipping games, they do not chase around playing tag, or hide and seek....they do not build dens, climb trees, go exploring.
Maybe addressing this would be a start on tackling what is seen as an obesity crisis.[/QUOTE]

is it the kids though or their parents. lots do not even walk to school anymore and are put in cotton wool by a lot of parents. might get run over if they walk to school, might be a paedo about if they go down the park, might be this, might be that. i was told to get out and see my mates and managed to avoid dirty old men and being run over by the silent death, a trolleybus.

DaveinGermany 31-12-2019 12:37

If the local paedo was lurking in the park, our gang of footy playing lads just indulged in some accurate rock chucking practice, problem soon got sorted. :D

Margaret Pilkington 31-12-2019 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1235113)
is it the kids though or their parents. lots do not even walk to school anymore and are put in cotton wool by a lot of parents. might get run over if they walk to school, might be a paedo about if they go down the park, might be this, might be that. i was told to get out and see my mates and managed to avoid dirty old men and being run over by the silent death, a trolleybus.

I think it is a mixture of things.
Parents run their children to school and this sets the tone.
They do not let their children experience life....they think they are 'looking after' their children, when in fact they are giving them a social handicap....risk avoidance....no it isn't even risk avoidance....it is not allowing children to determine what risks there are in everyday life.

They are raising children who do not know how to swim in the sea of everyday life

I think there have always been risks in society....some of them you mentioned.
By not exposing children to risks(even the minimal ones) means that they never formulate strategies to avoid/deal with risk of any description.
I walked all the way across town to school every day(both ways) in the fifties.
And you may say that there was less risk from traffic....but less risk is not NO risk.
I was taught road safety....I was taught not to speak to strangers.....i was taught to stay in a group of children.
I was not scared...I grew up in the best of times.
My childhood gave me the skills and the confidence to be who I am.