Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/accrington-web-71645.html)

dotti34 29-04-2021 07:40

Accrington Web

We take it for granted now but I thought it would be very interesting to know the history of Accrington Web, how it started, when it started, what brought it about, and so on. Perhaps even some reminiscences from people who have been members from the earlier years about the site and about those unforgettable, and sometimes outspoken, members – some of whom are sadly no longer with us. There have been some real characters, even over the years I have been fortunate enough to be a member.

Less 29-04-2021 10:49

Re: Accrington Web

AccyWeb was started by Robert Maxwell back in June 1991, he invested his vast fortune (and several peoples pensions) to see if any money could be made from this 'social media' thing.
Due to it's unadulterated success in attracting the type of people that wouldn't believe a word he prints in his papers, he threw himself from his luxury yacht in November 1991 his last words were allegedly, 'Oh my God, what have I done? They'll be blaming me for facebook next!'.

Margaret Pilkington 29-04-2021 12:27

Less, Dotti asked a perfectly reasonable question...out of interest, and perhaps to stimulate some reminscences of when Accyweb was shiny and new.

She really deserved a better answer....don't you think?

dotti34 29-04-2021 12:58

Less, I’m not sure how long it took you to think up the frivolous reply to my genuine request for information, but let’s get at least some facts straight. Actually Maxwell was peeing in the ocean while in the nude, as he so often did, when it seems that he suffered a heart attack, fell overboard, and drowned. Although at first it was assumed he had jumped in voluntarily and thus committed suicide, this was ruled out, as was murder. As for any last words he might have uttered (a bit difficult if unconscious) it would more likely have been ‘this is what I get for pi**ing in the ocean’. At least you did get the date of his death right.

Less 29-04-2021 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1253377)
Less, I’m not sure how long it took you to think up the frivolous reply to my genuine request for information, but let’s get at least some facts straight. Actually Maxwell was peeing in the ocean while in the nude, as he so often did, when it seems that he suffered a heart attack, fell overboard, and drowned. Although at first it was assumed he had jumped in voluntarily and thus committed suicide, this was ruled out, as was murder. As for any last words he might have uttered (a bit difficult if unconscious) it would more likely have been ‘this is what I get for pi**ing in the ocean’. At least you did get the date of his death right.

Obviously with the reply I've given I wasn't really bothered about being completely factual because it was wasn't intended to be correct.

All the threads, posts and history of AccyWeb are collected right from the start in 2003, do some research and make up your own history, You've seen mine.

P.S, I apologise for my one lapse into accuracy.

dotti34 29-04-2021 13:56

You are completely missing the point, Less. I know I can do research and possibly find the history of Accy Web for myself but I was attempting to entice others to share some stories and make this thread interesting reading. I know it is possible that it will fizzle out in the same way as so many others seem to do without receiving much input, well so be it. At least I do try.

lettie 29-04-2021 17:39

Hi Dotti,

I joined Accyweb in 2004, it was a way of keeping in touch with my friend who emigrated to Canada. She told me about this forum so I thought I'd take a look. Initially I think it was aimed at Accringtonians living/working abroad as a way of keeping up with what was going on at home. Like a lot of forums, it soon attracted lots of members.

I met my current partner on here, he was working in China at the time we'll have been together 17 years this year. We used to have regular member meet ups in the Stag and other local pubs. It was great getting to know some of the other members, especially as online personalities are sometimes very different to the face to face personality.

In the early days, most topics centred around having a laugh and local issues, sport, jokes, music etc. Things very soon got political and some members started posting a lot less, myself included. I used to love reading the blogs and doing my own blog. I also loved it when we had virtual pets and the Accrington Web currency 'Ackers' that we earned from posting in the forum. These were used to buy pet food in the virtual shop so that we could feed our pets.

I do still log on now and then, just to see what's happening but unfortunately my life got a whole lot busier so I don't get as much time now.

cashman 29-04-2021 17:45

a shame that lettie you and sparkologist are well missed on here.as are others some have obviously passed on some are not very well these days.

Less 29-04-2021 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1253379)
You are completely missing the point, Less. I know I can do research and possibly find the history of Accy Web for myself but I was attempting to entice others to share some stories and make this thread interesting reading. I know it is possible that it will fizzle out in the same way as so many others seem to do without receiving much input, well so be it. At least I do try.

Not missing anything, avoiding maybe. But at least I replied, you could pretend to be grateful.

Only the other day someone on here was talking about tongue in cheek, doesn't seem to work.

dotti34 29-04-2021 23:17

Oopsy-do, Less, I guess I asked for that – the only thing is that your idea of tongue-in-cheek and mine are very different. I like to think I am a wee bit subtle in my endeavours to be amusing, and people can take it or leave it depending on their sense of humour, or lack of it.

Well Less, we do seem to clash at times but at least we are contributing to this website. By the way, as much as I sincerely appreciate (no pretence about me) the fact that you have replied to my post I think asking me for gratitude is a bit over-the-top.

dotti34 29-04-2021 23:21

Lettie, that is a great post from you about Accy Web, I loved it. Congratulations on your romantic partnership of 17 years – here’s to many more years together, and to think this website was responsible for you meeting. Brllliant!

Hope your story brings out more memories from other members.

Less 30-04-2021 08:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1253387)

Well Less, we do seem to clash at times but at least we are contributing to this website. By the way, as much as I sincerely appreciate (no pretence about me) the fact that you have replied to my post I think asking me for gratitude is a bit over-the-top.

There you go you see, you think we are clashing whereas I consider it to be nothing of the sort a bit of banter is all.

As for gratitude, yes, be grateful when someone answers your post it is far better than being completely ignored and one reply can help stir up the interest of just a few more (alas AccyWeb isn't what it was, when any old crap would get several replies no matter what the subject).

taddy 30-04-2021 08:35

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1253375]Less, Dotti asked a perfectly reasonable question...out of interest, and perhaps to stimulate some reminscences of when Accyweb was shiny and new.

I dont think that Less was trying to be facetious,(I had to look in my Oxford senior dictionary for that word), it struck me as bringing a touch of humour without meaning to cause offence.

dotti34 30-04-2021 08:38

Less, I would rather use the word 'appreciation' when someone replies to one of my posts, because I do appreciate the fact that they have read it and bothered to reply. To say I am grateful makes it sound like I am humbled by them replying, which is not the case. The things I am really grateful for are somewhat different.

Personally I find it is a pity that Accrington Web is not what it was.

Banter, yes, although I still think we have been clashing I realise it can be seen as a sort of bantering and as long as it is kept 'civilised' and within certain boundaries banter can be quite entertaining. So I will carry on with it if the occasion warrants it, and I expect you will too.

taddy 30-04-2021 08:38

As for Dotti's answer, it was a classic.

Less 30-04-2021 08:51

[QUOTE=taddy;1253390]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1253375)
Less, Dotti asked a perfectly reasonable question...out of interest, and perhaps to stimulate some reminscences of when Accyweb was shiny and new.

I dont think that Less was trying to be facetious,(I had to look in my Oxford senior dictionary for that word), it struck me as bringing a touch of humour without meaning to cause offence.

Yes, she asked a perfectly reasonable question, as for deserving a better answer, no, it was as I've already said a bit of banter to be taken lightly and then cast aside, congratulations my teacup runneth over with this tiny monsoon that seems to be forced into domination.

Less 30-04-2021 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1253391)
Less, I would rather use the word 'appreciation' when someone replies to one of my posts, because I do appreciate the fact that they have read it and bothered to reply. To say I am grateful makes it sound like I am humbled by them replying, which is not the case. The things I am really grateful for are somewhat different.

Personally I find it is a pity that Accrington Web is not what it was.

Banter, yes, although I still think we have been clashing I realise it can be seen as a sort of bantering and as long as it is kept 'civilised' and within certain boundaries banter can be quite entertaining. So I will carry on with it if the occasion warrants it, and I expect you will too.

If you wish to feel we are clashing please do so, I shall continue as I have done since 2003 answering as I please when I please, hey, look, we've managed to take the thread into it's second page most impressive.

dotti34 30-04-2021 09:00

Taddy, thank you for the compliment, well I'm taking it as such with appreciation not gratitude, hope that doesn't offend you.

However, according to Mr Google the meaning of the word facetious is 'treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humour; flippant' and although my post was certainly not a serious issue I was trying to introduce a subject that might have brought about a number of responsible replies. So maybe you have got the right word there after all. I was hoping for some information from the person who has this knowledge and thus start the ball rolling. Wasn't to be. Never mind, better luck next time I guess.

dotti34 30-04-2021 09:10

Please yourself, Less, if that's what makes you happy.

Margaret Pilkington 30-04-2021 09:15

Banter?
I find that term a bit subjective...but then that is just me.

As for your storm in a teacup...no there was no storm...unless you made it one.
There are some people in life who do that...they create a storm and then beg to borrow your umbrella.

‘A soft answer turned away wrath’.
Dotti’s question was asked from interest and the hope that people would respond in a positive way with their own stories about their experience of Accyweb.
Yes she could have trawled through the thousands of posts in the archives, but the first thing you can do to find out something is to ASK.

Margaret Pilkington 30-04-2021 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1253394)
If you wish to feel we are clashing please do so, I shall continue as I have done since 2003 answering as I please when I please, hey, look, we've managed to take the thread into it's second page most impressive.

Of course you will Less.
That is your prerogative...and long may it continue to be so...for us all.
Amen to that.

Less 30-04-2021 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1253397)
Banter?
I find that term a bit subjective...but then that is just me.

As for your storm in a teacup...no there was no storm...unless you made it one.
There are some people in life who do that...they create a storm and then beg to borrow your umbrella.

‘A soft answer turned away wrath’.
Dotti’s question was asked from interest and the hope that people would respond in a positive way with their own stories about their experience of Accyweb.
Yes she could have trawled through the thousands of posts in the archives, but the first thing you can do to find out something is to ASK.

I could have answered with a long boring fact filled history of AccyWeb, starting with where it started (Moscow 2003) leading up to the present day and the free spirits that occupy it now.

Instead I thought, I'll be creative and produce an utterly unbelievable history and I think that has proved to be the case.

Like it or lump it(comma) it's there now, so try to live with it as best you can.

taddy 30-04-2021 09:46

[QUOTE=dotti34;1253395]Taddy, thank you for the compliment, well I'm taking it as such with appreciation not gratitude, hope that doesn't offend you.

However, according to Mr Google the meaning of the word facetious is 'treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humour; flippant' and although my post was certainly not a serious issue I was trying to introduce a subject that might have brought about a number of responsible replies. So maybe you have got the right word there after all. I was hoping for some information from the person who has this knowledge and thus start the ball rolling. Wasn't to be. Never mind, better luck next time I guess.

Of course it was a compliment and as kids we used to say that sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.
Stay happy, stay safe.

Margaret Pilkington 30-04-2021 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1253401)
I could have answered with a long boring fact filled history of AccyWeb, starting with where it started (Moscow 2003) leading up to the present day and the free spirits that occupy it now.

Instead I thought, I'll be creative and produce an utterly unbelievable history and I think that has proved to be the case.

Like it or lump it(comma) it's there now, so try to live with it as best you can.

But then again you equally could have given an interesting potted history of how it came about....and that would have been very much appreciated. It did not have to be long and involved...and would it have taken more effort than your made up history? Only you can answer that.
Like it, or lump it?
Is that a bit passive/aggressive?

As to the comment about how, many years ago, there was a lot of what you called ‘rubbish’ posted.
You may have considered it to be such, but the site was more diverse, it had more people posting and there was usually something for everyone to read, contribute and enjoy.
I would go back to those days in a heartbeat.

Less 30-04-2021 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1253405)
But then again you equally could have given an interesting potted history of how it came about....and that would have been very much appreciated. It did not have to be long and involved...and would it have taken more effort than your made up history? Only you can answer that.
Like it, or lump it?
Is that a bit passive/aggressive?

As to the comment about how, many years ago, there was a lot of what you called ‘rubbish’ posted.
You may have considered it to be such, but the site was more diverse, it had more people posting and there was usually something for everyone to read, contribute and enjoy.
I would go back to those days in a heartbeat.

I could...

...I didn't because I didn't want to.

I know first hand that there was a lot of rubbish posted, I posted quite a bit of it myself and I intend to continue in that vain because, rubbish, banter and frivolous answers are what AccyWeb was invented for, not long and tedious threads about subjects and situations none of us can do anything about.

Like it, or lump it?

Yes, like it or lump it or get it removed.

Margaret Pilkington 30-04-2021 10:37

well, that worked didn't it?

dotti34 30-04-2021 10:44

Margaret, you really do know how to make me laugh - brilliant five word answer - summed it up beautifully.

cashman 30-04-2021 10:47

there are many people i miss these days Tinkerbelle, Slinky, Garinda, my good mate Jaysay who sadly died, plus quite a few more,

Margaret Pilkington 30-04-2021 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1253412)
there are many people i miss these days Tinkerbelle, Slinky, Garinda, my good mate Jaysay who sadly died, plus quite a few more,

Cashy, I miss those members too..also Willow and Busman....Westender,
Eric from Canada...steeljack.....I often think of them and wonder where they are.
Susie 123, Ber99....one of the ambulance drivers I used to have a laugh with and brew up for during my working life.
Jaysay could be so funny....sometimes(and I think he would admit this) accidentally.
And Mick.....how I miss him.
The forum has changed, because times have changed and people have changed.
All that said....I still like to think that it will be here when I am shoving the daisies up.

cashman 30-04-2021 12:05

take yer time wi them daisies margaret im trying me best too.:D

dotti34 30-04-2021 12:32

Yes, Margaret - they became so familiar that it felt like the loss of a family member when they passed away. People that you have already mentioned - Susie123, such a brave woman who continued posting right up to the end sharing her journey with us - but never complaining, Jaysay - a real card, always interesting, and of course dear Mick, and the others who we had to say goodbye to.

I, too, wonder what happened to people like Eric - at one time a prolific contributor, who took a break and then never returned. Where is Garinda these days? So many people we got to know, exchanging views with, agreeing with, disagreeing with, having a laugh, good debates.

Margaret Pilkington 30-04-2021 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1253415)
take yer time wi them daisies margaret im trying me best too.:D

I hope we are all a long time above the sod.....I like daisies, but in a chain.

Margaret Pilkington 30-04-2021 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1253416)
Yes, Margaret - they became so familiar that it felt like the loss of a family member when they passed away. People that you have already mentioned - Susie123, such a brave woman who continued posting right up to the end sharing her journey with us - but never complaining, Jaysay - a real card, always interesting, and of course dear Mick, and the others who we had to say goodbye to.

I, too, wonder what happened to people like Eric - at one time a prolific contributor, who took a break and then never returned. Where is Garinda these days? So many people we got to know, exchanging views with, agreeing with, disagreeing with, having a laugh, good debates.

That is so true.
Accyweb has always felt like a family...and like families there are ups and downs,
disagreements....but it does not mean that there is any long term grudges.
That is how it should be.

cashman 30-04-2021 15:03

i have to agree accyweb is the best site i ever was on imho.

DaveinGermany 30-04-2021 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1253390)
to be facetious,(I had to look in my Oxford senior dictionary for that word),

Did that come with a phrasebook filled with those immortais such as :-

"Eh?", "Wheres me teeth", "Eeh me lumbago's geein' me gyp!" & the all time classic "Has thee seen me cream, me grapes is playing up summat fierce!"

:D

dotti34 01-05-2021 06:52

I wonder where Boeing Guy is these days - he used to make some really good and very interesting comments. Jim Proctor as well, turned out his grandmother married my husband's great-grandfather - second marriages, and Jim had lived in the same house with them. He was able to send me photos and lots of information. It was only through my membership on this forum that I 'met' Jim and got this information. My husband hadn't known any of it before.

monkey hanger 01-05-2021 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1253420)
i have to agree accyweb is the best site i ever was on imho.

agree. apart from yourself and a couple of others who post about Stanley i do not know or have ever met another poster. having said that i do feel as if i know them. its more like a family than some sites are. in this way small numbers make it better.

Margaret Pilkington 01-05-2021 09:06

I also miss Garinda...his blogs were just a joy to read...oh yes and on the subject of blogs Lettie caused me to have a very damp gusset with her stories of her sorting out her bkini line before a holiday...and the Tale of Sparkologist(her beloved) a bowel movement and a knife....in a rented apartment in Malta(I think).
Those episodes are definitely worth seeking out and having a read...especially if you need a smile on your mush.....but be aware Tena pads might be needed.

More please! I really do miss reading about other folks adventures.

Heth...where did Heth go?
The last I heard of Heth was that she was expecting a 'nappy event'...goodness that child could be at school by now.

DaveinGermany 01-05-2021 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey hanger (Post 1253438)
agree. apart from yourself and a couple of others who post about Stanley i do not know or have ever met another poster.

Mate I have & you should thank your lucky stars for that! :s_aim1:

Stevie R 01-05-2021 21:38

Dotti was asking about Eric,sadly Eric died about 3 years ago.

dotti34 01-05-2021 22:34

Oh, that is so sad. He was like a breath of fresh wind with some of his comments, I really am sorry to hear this.

lettie 02-05-2021 07:53

Awww, Margaret... I always loved reading the blogs too. I used to laugh out loud at yours and Garinda's :-)

cashman 02-05-2021 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie R (Post 1253497)

very sad to hear eric aint with us always wondered where he was.:(

Margaret Pilkington 02-05-2021 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie R (Post 1253497)

I thought he might have left us as he used to write to me and tell me of the pets....and the stray animals that he used to feed and look after.
All that stopped just before I lost Ma.
Rest in Peace Eric....the fur people will have missed your kindness.

Margaret Pilkington 02-05-2021 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by lettie (Post 1253501)
Awww, Margaret... I always loved reading the blogs too. I used to laugh out loud at yours and Garinda's :-)

Thank you Lettie...your own blogs were a delight to read too.
It was lovely to hear the stories...past and present, of other members.
Often it would loosen the memory stones in the brains of others....and it was every bit as good as getting a book out of the library.
The sharing of life events too.
Like Mez and her sad loss of her grandson Dan....those things made you look at what you considered to be your ‘trials’ and these were really put into perspective.

These days, there is only me and Dotti’s who participate in writing blogs....but we do get comments.
I would love to see more people writing about their past, their memories...but everyone seems too busy.

I do not write anywhere near as much.
Ma is no longer here, so less funny stories from that quarter....and the current situation has meant not even a bus ride.

skuta 02-05-2021 16:00

When I returned to the UK and lived in Clayton-Le-Moors briefly, I joined this site with the intention of doing some Local Intelligence gathering (I’m not from this area, long story). Only to find that some Folk just liked to comment on absolutely everything. No matter the Subject, they just had to express their opinion. They seemingly knew everything.

Some of these forgotten Posters clearly identified themselves as Pensioners by their textual wordings in some of their Posts. Their loneliness abundantly apparent. Sharing their existence not experience.

I thought at the time it was quite sad, some lonely Pensioner, left all by themselves everyday, waiting for Deaths sweet release, screaming out for some attention.

Even answering questions with unhelpful, “I don’t know” type, non-answers. Just like with Amazon. They used to have many real reviewers saying they didn’t have the item or they didn’t know anything about the item, yet are prepared to state in Public their total ignorance or breathtaking false understandings based on no real Fact.

Saying nothing, all based on “Feelings” not real Facts or experience. It’s all just Noise. I found this hilarious. I come back from time to time to be amused by such nonsensical comments I might find.

It's all much quieter these days.

cashman 02-05-2021 16:15

so why dont you shut yer gob who the hell do you think you are you clever sod.

Less 02-05-2021 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by skuta (Post 1253529)
When I returned to the UK and lived in Clayton-Le-Moors briefly, I joined this site with the intention of doing some Local Intelligence gathering (I’m not from this area, long story). Only to find that some Folk just liked to comment on absolutely everything. No matter the Subject, they just had to express their opinion. They seemingly knew everything.

Some of these forgotten Posters clearly identified themselves as Pensioners by their textual wordings in some of their Posts. Their loneliness abundantly apparent. Sharing their existence not experience.

I thought at the time it was quite sad, some lonely Pensioner, left all by themselves everyday, waiting for Deaths sweet release, screaming out for some attention.

Even answering questions with unhelpful, “I don’t know” type, non-answers. Just like with Amazon. They used to have many real reviewers saying they didn’t have the item or they didn’t know anything about the item, yet are prepared to state in Public their total ignorance or breathtaking false understandings based on no real Fact.

Saying nothing, all based on “Feelings” not real Facts or experience. It’s all just Noise. I found this hilarious. I come back from time to time to be amused by such nonsensical comments I might find.

I do hope you posted that in fun, or could it be that contrary to your claim your Location: in my head is incorrect and should read Location: up my arse.

However I should thank you it means I'm no longer the most unpopular member on site. (For now).

:s_aim1::rofl38::alright::da:

Margaret Pilkington 02-05-2021 17:13

I thought that was me Less.

Margaret Pilkington 02-05-2021 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by skuta (Post 1253529)

And you think that is good?

The whole reason for the forum is for an exchange of views, ideas and opinions.
When all that stops, then there will be no forum.
Maybe that would make you happy.
If the forum does not please you then, it is not compulsory to be here.

It might be true that many of us are in the third age, but that does not mean we are waiting for death.

Speaking for myself I have many interests and a lot of living to do yet.

dotti34 03-05-2021 00:05

Oh, Skuta – what a pathetic piece of garbage you have written. If it was meant to be funny and taking the mickey then you have definitely missed the mark. Not sure where you returned from but if you had that attitude while living there, where you seem to think you know what you are talking about, then you probably got a great send-off (like ‘thank goodness he’s gone’).

I doubt you have been sorely missed – unlike the way we feel about contributors to this site when we haven’t heard from them for a while.

Irrespective of age – and there are members on Accy Web from all age groups – so get your facts right, that people contribute prove they are not ‘waiting for death’ but take an interest in current affairs.

By the way, I AM old – probably one of the oldest members by age – but I can assure you that, like so many other people who are of an older generation, I am not waiting for death, I am not a sad human being, and you might be surprised to know that I am still reasonably intelligent, and I definitely do have opinions which I like to debate.

Actually reading your post I think that you are the sad one, trying to be poetic (death’s sweet release’ – that is hilarious – wonder how long it took you to think that one up) and having such a negative attitude. Instead of criticising why haven’t you made some worthwhile contributions over the years, and if you feel so much contempt for the site why are you still a member?

According to the information under your name you live ‘in your head’ – I think that should read you live in your other end, ‘cause you really are full of what comes out from there.

dotti34 03-05-2021 02:14

Oops! I have now seen, skuta, that you have actually contributed a few times by posting comments so I was out of order asking why you haven't done this. However, I make no apologies for getting somewhat incensed about your comments on this thread, which I considered to be unwarranted.

dotti34 03-05-2021 02:20

Less, I know you have tried your hardest to be unpopular (though why you want to be I have no idea) but I agree with you, I think skuta can lay claim to this title, at least until you reclaim it (tongue-in-cheek comment, so please take it as that).

Less 03-05-2021 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1253546)
Less, I know you have tried your hardest to be unpopular (though why you want to be I have no idea) but I agree with you, I think skuta can lay claim to this title, at least until you reclaim it (tongue-in-cheek comment, so please take it as that).

Quite simple really, as with skuta, write things people don't want to hear and you guarantee a response, much better than being ignored.

After all, I'm a lonely old coffin dodger.

Stevie R 03-05-2021 09:15

When you read again Skuta`s post and discard the crass statements about seniors,the post could have been written by a Professor of Human Geography.
The baring of one`s knowledge,informed or uninformed is amongst other social phenomena studied to BA(Hons) level at several universities.
Quite interesting I thought..
https://researchguides.dartmouth.edu/human_geography

monkey hanger 03-05-2021 09:27

stuka has his own opinion and i suppose its as valid as everyone elses on here. its just for me quite far off the mark. as for us oldies waiting patiently for death is far from the truth for many of us. he has a point as from what i have heard from a few who live in OAP accomodation do behave like that and hardly set foot outside their property. they get invites but are just not interested in mixing with others. its all our own life and if you are not hurting anybody just carry on with it as you seem fit and what works for you.

Less 03-05-2021 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie R (Post 1253559)
When you read again Skuta`s post and discard the crass statements about seniors,the post could have been written by a Professor of Human Geography.
The baring of one`s knowledge,informed or uninformed is amongst other social phenomena studied to BA(Hons) level at several universities.
Quite interesting I thought..
https://researchguides.dartmouth.edu/human_geography

Having letters after your name does not make you an expert it just means you were able to conform long enough to get some like mind to let you pass exams.

After all I've had letters after my name since my youf and they gave me not one advantage in life,

yours, Less (A.R.S.E)

(Always Right Sees Everything).

Stevie R 03-05-2021 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by less (Post 1253562)
having letters after your name does not make you an expert it just means you were able to conform long enough to get some like mind to let you pass exams.

After all i've had letters after my name since my youf and they gave me not one advantage in life,

yours, less (a.r.s.e)

(always right sees everything).

q.e.d......

Margaret Pilkington 03-05-2021 10:26

We are all the product of our experiences.
Skuta is, of course entitled to his opinions of us....as we are of him.
What did he mean by saying he came here looking for ‘local intelligence’?(this is the language of police and investigative organisations..spies etc)
Did he want information about local history, local services, where the library was?
Or was he checking out our intelligence.
It seems that he found us wanting in that area.....he has made assumptions about us with little real evidence other than what he has read.

If he asked questions and got the ‘don’t know’ response at least it shows someone has considered his question, but does not have the information needed.
Skuta, if you do not like it here because you feel we are beneath you, then there are other forums that might be more to your taste...but avoid Facebook....that would definitely turn your screw.

dotti34 04-05-2021 08:42

Less, don’t mind me asking, but is that a self-portrait? If it is I have to say you are one helluva good looking bloke and I have absolutely no idea why you would be lonely.

monkey hanger 04-05-2021 10:07

[QUOTE=Less;1253562]Having letters after your name does not make you an expert it just means you were able to conform long enough to get some like mind to let you pass exams.

Always remember that intelligence and common sense do not make good bed fellows most of the time.

cashman 04-05-2021 10:09

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1253602]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1253562)
Having letters after your name does not make you an expert it just means you were able to conform long enough to get some like mind to let you pass exams.

Always remember that intelligence and common sense do not make good bed fellows most of the time.

i have said that all my life and most intellects prove it.

DaveinGermany 04-05-2021 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1253569)
he came here looking for ‘local intelligence’?(this is the language of police and investigative organisations..spies etc).

That, or an Alien life form that wants to have a bit of a probe & stick things up yer 'oop! Strange chap? :D

shillelagh 15-10-2021 23:36

oh my just seen this thread i cant believe you didnt mention the chatroom that was on here .... and cashy was one of the ringleaders in that ...

i joined it in 2005 found it when i was looking for accrington stanley ... and the rest is history ..... i was my mums carer .. and that chatroom was loopy at its most sane moments ...

met the spugster on here ... 14 years and some months later ... we are still together .. long distance relationship him in scotland me here ... and they all said it wouldnt last!!!! :D

I do miss mick .. it was 3 years anniversary the other day ... it doesnt seem that long .. i was reading his old texts to me about his haggis deliveries ..ive saved em

Margaret Pilkington 16-10-2021 08:51

Jen, I fell into the chat room by accident.
But I could not get the hang of it…..mainly because it WAS loopy…..and it was fast moving too…so by the time I had typed a response the chat had moved on.
I liked the pets and earning ackers to feed them.
Soft as it sounds I felt very bad if my dog Chewy almost died because he could not be fed because I had not earned enough ackers.

shillelagh 03-12-2021 22:13

Margaret the chatroom had a witching hour .. just about midnight it was crazy in there ..

cashman 04-12-2021 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 1260534)
Margaret the chatroom had a witching hour .. just about midnight it was crazy in there ..

yeh but it sure was good craic i miss tinks and slinky since it vanished.

Margaret Pilkington 04-12-2021 10:36

I never stayed there for long Jen….I just could not keep up, but I have to say it was funny to read….but it was like a keystone cops chase.

Margaret Pilkington 04-12-2021 10:37

Yes Cashy, I wonder where those two lasses are…they were like a comedy double act.
I wish they would come back.

cashman 04-12-2021 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1260561)
Yes Cashy, I wonder where those two lasses are…they were like a comedy double act.
I wish they would come back.

me also they were great lasses.

shillelagh 07-12-2021 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1260553)
yeh but it sure was good craic i miss tinks and slinky since it vanished.

they are both grannies now ... :D

Margaret Pilkington 07-12-2021 19:43

Nooooooooo!
They can’t be….they are both only lasses

shillelagh 09-12-2021 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1260790)
Nooooooooo!
They can’t be….they are both only lasses

we are all getting older Margaret .. even me .. :D

Margaret Pilkington 09-12-2021 12:48

nope Jen...it still says 14 in my vest and Knickers:D

I cannot think of them as Grandma's

taddy 09-12-2021 13:13

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1260870]nope Jen...it still says 14 in my vest and Knickers:D

If we had not met when I picked up the ferret I would have said that the 14 is probably your dress size.;);)

Margaret Pilkington 09-12-2021 14:17

Yes Taddy…you are right, in my head I am 35…..and that is where I am staying…..yes my birth certificate tells a different story….but it lies.:D

monkey hanger 14-12-2021 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1260872)
Yes Taddy…you are right, in my head I am 35…..and that is where I am staying…..yes my birth certificate tells a different story….but it lies.:D

my old mother in law used to say the same thing and then look in the mirror with disgust.

entwisi 14-12-2021 09:58

Had my knuckles rapped by Jen that I should drop in and say hi again..

Still up Bash.. still a geek/techie phreak, still into my old cars and bikes and music etc

Still happily wed to buttonsmum and the kids are growing(grown) up fast,

For me being an old/early Internet user I had progressed from bulletin boards through usenet and forums were the next thing, they were surpassed by social media... its never a new story... life does and continues to move on in new directions. Accyweb was a vibrant, active and fun place to hang out. I've made lots of good friends through it , I tried to always help people where i could and it was a nice segment of my internet life.

I miss the meets, they were great...

cashman 14-12-2021 10:15

i also miss the meets. glad all is ok entwisi.

Less 14-12-2021 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1261148)
i also miss the meets. glad all is ok entwisi.

We couldn't have another one, we wouldn't find a place big enough to take all the bath chairs and Zimmer frames.
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/dc/d4/d2/d...359b4398f9.jpg
https://media.istockphoto.com/illust...on-id170180698

Margaret Pilkington 14-12-2021 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 1261146)
Had my knuckles rapped by Jen that I should drop in and say hi again..

I've made lots of good friends through it , I tried to always help people where i could and it was a nice segment of my internet life.

I miss the meets, they were great...

Entwisi, it is good to hear that you are doing well, are happy and have a family that are almost grown up.
You always posted interesting things…..and I learned lots of things from you, just by reading your posts.
The essence of the forum was the fact that there were always those on here who were happy to lend a hand…to help out.

Just one question for you….
Does Accyweb count as social media?

It is good that you popped back to update us…thank you for that.
I do wonder how the posters from back then are going on.

Restless 16-12-2021 06:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1261161)
Does Accyweb count as social media?

No(imho)

entwisi 16-12-2021 08:26

I'd agree that to me AW is not social media. its the progression from the bulletin boards of the early and pre internet days. the idea of following and friends doesn't really sit here, we all subscribe to see everything and filter ourselves... actually FB is so bad now for deciding what they want me to see, good friends of mine don't show up on my feed unless I have interacted directly in recent times so people drop away when I am actually still interested in that keeping up with people and their lives.

cashman 16-12-2021 09:23

yer too nice entwisi FACEBOOK is utter rubbish theses days,they have banned me 9or 10 times now, last few have been for 1 month, not for swearing but saying stuff they disagree with,i only stay on for to keep in touch with friends i had when i lived in spain. otherwise i would not bother.

Margaret Pilkington 16-12-2021 12:14

I have never used FB…..and I have no interest in it.
It may have uses for some people, but not for me.
I have seen it create rifts in families and it’s pernicious and pervasive presence is not something I want in my life.
I was not sure if Accyweb counted as social media or not….now I have been educated.

Restless 16-12-2021 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1261259)
yer too nice entwisi FACEBOOK is utter rubbish theses days,they have banned me 9or 10 times now, last few have been for 1 month, not for swearing but saying stuff they disagree with,i only stay on for to keep in touch with friends i had when i lived in spain. otherwise i would not bother.

i was banned for 3 days for calling a scammer "a garbage human being"

odders 16-12-2021 23:58

Its as expected, call chaos and you get back some of the old school back.:mosher::mosher:;)

cashman 17-12-2021 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1261309)
i was banned for 3 days for calling a scammer "a garbage human being"

that dont suprise me mate they are completely stupid those who work for them, mind they will have been told by the gods,

monkey hanger 17-12-2021 09:49

never bothered with facebook or anything similar as rightly or wrongly i feal there is some stigma by being a user. prefer sites like this and the haworth on line one her in the kitchen uses. seems to be far less woke and full of lefty snowflakes.