Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   When is banter...just banter? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/when-is-banter-just-banter-72159.html)

odders 16-11-2021 18:26

When is banter...just banter?

There's a big kick off all over the sport about the racist abuse this Rafiq guy form Yorkshire cricket club. Skipping most of the he say, she say thee say balls.(I know).

But why now bring all these other people out because your on TV.

I'm sorry for him, if it's happened but he was aware clearly it doesn't take a solicitor and 10+ years. In sport everyone is fighting to be the best. And mocking has happened from school.

If I was uncomfortable in work, I made myself known or just find something else. Then go in to say I quit. We had no phones, they got the result I got the knowledge I ruined his day.

This is just another example of Americanism, sue for anything. When you're not getting a regular income.

Margaret Pilkington 16-11-2021 20:37

Re: When is banter...just banter?

My daughter and I have had this conversation today.
This young man has made allegations that have been backed by colleagues of the same ethnicity…..and while I am not saying he is being less than truthful, it is very convenient.
Also the term that was used to describe him…the one he took offence at, is what people of his ethnicity use about one another.

Racism is a good card to play because it is so very sensitive….and people are afraid of saying anything against this….for fear of being labelled that.

What is wrong with young men and women today….that they cannot stand up for themselves?
Call out those who they feel have overstepped the mark.
They wait until some years have elapsed and then make allegations.
Grow a pair lad….don’t you think that us pale skinned folks have not been called names?
Been humiliated by people who were in positions of power and influence.

And I know this may be construed as a racist view….but if we hide behind these names then there never will be a rational moderate discussion….and that is not helpful.

If this man did not like what he alleges happened….why did he not move..he is not a tree.
Just saying.

odders 16-11-2021 21:18

Exactly, and looking back over the last few years. Only black man I ever seen came up from a pit. Our Asain, Afro Caribbean, Middle East, Cherokee Indians, our Euithiop ancestors . Brown maybe never black, and the worlds a decent place. Just don't put your beliefs above others.

odders 16-11-2021 21:20

I hate the black reference. It's a nonsensical dergogarty word, to cause controversy and conflict.

Margaret Pilkington 16-11-2021 21:40

I have worked amicably alongside many different nationalities and ethnicities.
One of the Nursing sisters I worked wit spoke a number of South Asian languages, having worked out there in a missionary hospital.
The Asian men visiting their wives talked of the nurses in a very derogatory way….but not having the language to understand, we did not know this.
Well, at least not until this Sister went and spoke to them in their own language and told them off for what they were saying .
But it seems that you can only be affected by racism if your skin is a particular hue.

There are a lot of ‘isms’ out there if you really do want to paint yourself as a victim.
Personally I would far rather be a victor.

odders 16-11-2021 21:56

I do think wanting to be a "ism'....really ain't for me.

Elephant washer...sign me up. (more rehearsal rehtoric)... get me on that plane.

odders 16-11-2021 23:59

And so there's no perceived.
Stanley Johnson should be accountable, if what's been said is true.
Agian the question why Noakes now spoke out?
Seriously I'm all I favour for justice. Does it have to be public knowledge.
The old adage " It sells papers," doesn't wash anymore. So many accessible channels whatever your tickle...

dotti34 17-11-2021 05:46

Odders, you ask when is banter just banter? Well my interpretation of it is when things are said that possibly are often not politically correct (what is these days?) but said in a strangely meant endearing way, a bit of teasing, if that makes sense.

I don’t know much about the case you mention – only what I have read, but if racism was so rife as to cause great strife to the man why didn’t he talk about it at the time. I agree with you, Odders, If you don’t like a situation then get out of it.

As in the example that Margaret wrote, racism can be more than one-sided. How do we know what we are being called if we don’t understand the language. Can it only be racist if uttered about someone of a different shade? I don’t think so.

Is it right to call someone names with racial connotations if used in a way to offend and cause hurt – of course it’s not, but all a person has to say is ‘I don’t like that, so shut your cake hole’ (well maybe not that last bit) but say it at the time – not years later. Don’t bottle it up. Unless of course you are making a great deal of money at the time and that is more important to you than causing a stir or getting out of a situation. Just an observation.

dotti34 17-11-2021 05:48

When we came out here years ago if you were from England you were often tagged as being a Pommie Bast***. Can this be classed as racist, you could take it as so but I think it would depend on how it was used. As a matter-of-fact a birthday present for my husband from one of his mates was (and yes, I still have it) a stubby holder made of genuine leather and embossed with his initials and then the words Pi** Po* Pommie Bast***. It was well done and must have cost quite a lot. Did my husband take offence – no he thought it was hilarious, and when he drank from a stubby this is what he proudly used. His mate had gone to a lot of trouble having this made and embossed for him. Was this banter on the holder or was it racism? It was the former. It was a form of endearment, honestly!

I had a couple of instances when my Lancashire accent was mocked, I put this down to ignorance and rudeness. Lack of good manners. It was their problem not mine. I was above that. No worries, mate.

Margaret Pilkington 17-11-2021 06:13

Odders as for the Stanley Johnson thing with him slapping the bum of some female MP….
What is it with these girls.
Was she not taught that a keen to the groin…even the threat of it is a cure for ‘Desert Disease (wandering palms)…..and if Stanley Johnson did slap her rear, then that constitutes Desert Disease.
I just wonder if this woman would have mentioned it if Boris had not become PM.

Margaret Pilkington 17-11-2021 06:18

As to your original question…about Banter…it is a really fine line to tread these days because many people have become humourless.
You have to know the person the banter is aimed at pretty well….and even then you can come unstuck if that person is feeling a bit low, or has had a bad day.

Banter should be something that both parties can laugh at or at least feel comfortable with.

Alas, it seems that these days folk are pretty thin skinned.

monkey hanger 17-11-2021 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1259512)
I have worked amicably alongside many different nationalities and ethnicities.
One of the Nursing sisters I worked wit spoke a number of South Asian languages, having worked out there in a missionary hospital.
The Asian men visiting their wives talked of the nurses in a very derogatory way….but not having the language to understand, we did not know this.
Well, at least not until this Sister went and spoke to them in their own language and told them off for what they were saying .
But it seems that you can only be affected by racism if your skin is a particular hue.

There are a lot of ‘isms’ out there if you really do want to paint yourself as a victim.
Personally I would far rather be a victor.

i,m in the same boat as you margaret with people i have worked with. in this case with the cricketer at least he has brought it up himself and not some lefty do gooder which nowadays seems to be the case. its this eggshell walking we all seem to have to do that bothers me. its not the minorities you have to beware of its some of the majority. one time if you were part of any minority either through race, religeon, sexuality or your politics you had to put your head down somewhat. now being some form of a minority seems to be a real trump card to use at every opportunity as you,ll find plenty of the majority who feel fit to fight your cause. it was really when in rome situation which has gone now for good.

cashman 17-11-2021 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1259517)
When we came out here years ago if you were from England you were often tagged as being a Pommie Bast***. Can this be classed as racist, you could take it as so but I think it would depend on how it was used. As a matter-of-fact a birthday present for my husband from one of his mates was (and yes, I still have it) a stubby holder made of genuine leather and embossed with his initials and then the words Pi** Po* Pommie Bast***. It was well done and must have cost quite a lot. Did my husband take offence – no he thought it was hilarious, and when he drank from a stubby this is what he proudly used. His mate had gone to a lot of trouble having this made and embossed for him. Was this banter on the holder or was it racism? It was the former. It was a form of endearment, honestly!

I had a couple of instances when my Lancashire accent was mocked, I put this down to ignorance and rudeness. Lack of good manners. It was their problem not mine. I was above that. No worries, mate.

well summed up that Dotti, theres many pakistanis i know that use the word P, about each other round here,yet the idiot woke brigade have said its racist,scotch people are called jocks by many, welsh taffys, and so things go on, these pathetic sods never labelled those racist, thats how PATHETIC and STUPID these people are imho. the P word is just a short way of saying Pakistani.

Margaret Pilkington 17-11-2021 14:30

Cashy, we have encouraged them to take offence by the political correct brigade being allowed to dictate what is acceptable and what is not….it is like the N word for African Americans…it is a word they use themselves about themselves….but if someone pale uses it they are up in arms.
I am quite fed up of all this ‘whites are bad, any other race is better’.
It has become tedious to hear of how racist we all are…yet there are people in flimsy boats crossing a 21 mile stretch of water to get here…racist or not (and before anyone tells me, I know they are coming for the benefits we offer).

If this view offends you, then that is your problem.

Less 17-11-2021 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1259541)

If this view offends you, then that is your problem.

If I said that it offends me I somehow feel I would be in a minority, that being the case, now that I am a minority where do I go to claim and how much will I get?

Margaret Pilkington 17-11-2021 15:21

No Less, sorry….you will have to get a better tan and change your name to something that has ethnic overtones.

Margaret Pilkington 17-11-2021 15:23

Less, are you wanting me to get locked up?
That is the way it is going now.

Less 17-11-2021 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1259546)
No Less, sorry….you will have to get a better tan and change your name to something that has ethnic overtones.

O.K. got an appointment at the tanning booth and from now on you can call me

Autochthonous Connotation:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 17-11-2021 16:16

It is going to take a good few sessions Less and then you need to change your name by deed poll…then we might think about it…or maybe we will deport you back to Iraq…..oh NO….THAT never happens!

Less 17-11-2021 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1259549)
or maybe we will deport you back to Iraq

I wish you would, I find it difficult living in Accy and if I were to die for the cause there's no chance that they will find 72 virgins around here.

Margaret Pilkington 17-11-2021 16:49

You mean, you are up for all that Hutching and Thrutching ……and you would give up the beer too?

Less 17-11-2021 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1259552)
You mean, you are up for all that Hutching and Thrutching ……and you would give up the beer too?

I wouldn't give up beer, I'd take up lying about it.

Margaret Pilkington 17-11-2021 17:43

Less, I think these little exchanges are a good example of what banter is.

Less 17-11-2021 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1259554)
Less, I think these little exchanges are a good example of what banter is.

If not then it must be bullcrap.

Margaret Pilkington 18-11-2021 07:40

Nope…can’t smell anything.

Bullcrap usually has a bad smell and a green haze over it and the buzz of blowflies….
Oh well, perhaps you are right.

monkey hanger 18-11-2021 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1259550)
I wish you would, I find it difficult living in Accy and if I were to die for the cause there's no chance that they will find 72 virgins around here.

Virgins, thought they were a figment of someones imagination.

monkey hanger 18-11-2021 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1259540)
well summed up that Dotti, theres many pakistanis i know that use the word P, about each other round here,yet the idiot woke brigade have said its racist,scotch people are called jocks by many, welsh taffys, and so things go on, these pathetic sods never labelled those racist, thats how PATHETIC and STUPID these people are imho. the P word is just a short way of saying Pakistani.

its not them who are at fault of black rappers who regularly use the N word in their music. on the whole they could not give a damn but its the white do gooding lefty woke guardian readers that do. same with this trans issue we are now getting shoved down our throats with young kids being encouraged to dress how they like. OK allow em but do not push it on them. would hate to be a kid in todays world. growing up was hard enough without all this 2021 bull being put on their young shoulders.

monkey hanger 18-11-2021 09:58

watched a programme on tele last night i was warned of possible offensive context. it was that far right wing documentary with irene handle and wilfred pickles, For The Love Of Ada. i give up.

Bob Dobson 18-11-2021 16:16

I cannot recall ever having seen Wilfred Pickles on TV, nor Irene Handel.

taddy 18-11-2021 16:20

I can, maybe you are not old enough Bob

Exile on Spencer St 18-11-2021 17:21

Hoist by his own petard?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59338118

Strange how all that institutional racism didn’t stop Yorkshire making him that County’s youngest ever captain.
He comes across as a failed sporting wunderkind, who never quite lived up to the early hype, and is now desperately seeking someone or something else to blame.

Margaret Pilkington 18-11-2021 17:41

Ooh Exile…you beat me to it.
So it is bad that he was abused…yet he did not consider back then, that his anti Semitic comments were in the same vein as those he took exception to

He has said he is sorry….but maybe he is only sorry that he got caught out…or maybe his own experiences have made him truly sorry….which is it, do you think?
I am saying nowt…but I know what I think.

Margaret Pilkington 18-11-2021 17:57

Oh yes….and these anti Semitic comments were in an exchange between Rafiq and another Asian man(not sure if he was a cricketer) so his hands are not clean are they?

cashman 18-11-2021 18:21

i think hes a bit of a con man looking for a few bob. also a hypocrite reminds me of Keir Starmer.

Exile on Spencer St 18-11-2021 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1259606)
i think hes a bit of a con man looking for a few bob. also a hypocrite reminds me of Keir Starmer.

Well, they’re both expert spinners.:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 18-11-2021 19:48

I wonder if those who have been removed from their jobs, will now be reinstated….I won’t hold my breath.

odders 18-11-2021 21:55

When I made this thread it was because I just had a feeling. Someone somewhere can find your history online. I see the apologies aren't what he's been asking of everyone else. If I had paid out money, I would be claiming it back. For his bull muck press releases.

The comments about it been different to racism not in the workplace. Nah, go dunk your head. He's as bad as anyone he's accused.

I'm glad the fraudster has been found out.

monkey hanger 19-11-2021 09:32

show me someone who is or thinks they are totally squeeky clean just to shock me. doubt they exist or have ever existed. its just the lefties again that want certain people to be clean for their own ends.

Margaret Pilkington 19-11-2021 16:04

MH you are right, but the difference is this man was trying to gain advantage…..or even a pay out…..now he is saying his misdemeanour is not as bad as the racist abuse that he was subjected to…..that is because the anti semitic abuse was aimed at others, not him.
He shed tears at the hurt the ‘racist abuse’ caused him…but was unconcerned about how Jews might see his comments.
Since when has the excuse ‘your wrong is worse than my wrong’ been valid.
He is a hypocrite.
He is sorry because he has been found out.

odders 19-11-2021 19:03

And the Jewish remark was aimed towards one of his own brethren.
Should have got his money and ran, now the whole sport is being ripped apart. All because someone who sought fame, attention and a bloody big payday.
Has anyone actually found the name of she/he who actually should be credited for exposing the fraudster?

Margaret Pilkington 19-11-2021 19:11

Maybe the way forward is not to have ethnic players in a team….no, of course that would inflame the inclusivity snowflakes….so would not be allowed.
The world has gone mad.

odders 19-11-2021 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1259653)
Maybe the way forward is not to have ethnic players in a team….no, of course that would inflame the inclusivity snowflakes….so would not be allowed.
The world has gone mad.

No black ball in snooker, unless it says ' lives matter ' on it.;)

Margaret Pilkington 20-11-2021 09:40

I am really surprised that no one has suggested that the black ball be replaced by a rainbow coloured ball with the same value as the black ball…this would encompass both wokery and the folk whose gender/sexual preferences are different.
I wonder what would happen if it were tried…and whether it would be called the ‘coloured’ ball.

Less 20-11-2021 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1259694)
I am really surprised that no one has suggested that the black ball be replaced by a rainbow coloured ball with the same value as the black ball…this would encompass both wokery and the folk whose gender/sexual preferences are different.
I wonder what would happen if it were tried…and whether it would be called the ‘coloured’ ball.

Just as silly I suppose as this:-
https://www.skysports.com/cricket/ne...et-are-amended
Now I can't really see a need, a male 'batter' is still a 'batsman' a female 'batter' is still a 'batswoman', males & females don't at the moment compete in the same teams so until they do why change it? Unless? it's to cover the whole of cricket in gender neutral gloop in which case if you are 'gender neutral, surely you don't qualify to play for any of the official teams.

monkey hanger 25-11-2021 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1259694)

in that case they could not put a value in potting that ball. the all inclusive ball would be worth what the player thought of it. would be zero points if i was playing.

kestrelx 29-11-2021 22:00

Yeh but calling some one a **** is race hatred. For sure. There is no banter it's racial hate.

Ps I used the word P**i and the web site turned it into **** so it must be offensive!

Pa*i or P*ki?

DaveinGermany 30-11-2021 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1260313)
Yeh but calling some one a **** is race hatred. For sure. There is no banter it's racial hate.

Back in the mists of time it wasn't seen as such, it was just a colloquial term used by many British & those it described. Then the world got all precious, touchy feely & cynically some might say "compensation culture" aware & things changed.

Less 30-11-2021 08:44

Quote:

Ps I used the word P**i and the web site turned it into **** so it must be offensive!

Pa*i or P*ki?

The site censor MUST be taken seriously like it was back in the day it was introduced:-

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...done-2484.html

I can remember one of the mods made the word pike go all **** at one time (he thought it offensive towards gypsies) I pointed out it was a legitimate word and weapon also a common surname and it would be silly if we couldn't use it.
He compromised allowed the word pike but if you add a 'Y' to the end of it, it goes all *****!!

Magic? or moronic, you decide.

:alright:

odders 30-11-2021 21:37

Quote:

Pa*i or P*ki?

Are you racist?

The forums use software to filter out BS, as you know. Unfortunately you got clogged in the pipe. For all your offence, and still here.

What is it you really want to say? You been on the sauce as per, looking for trouble? Some people don't need archives to remember you.

shillelagh 03-12-2021 23:35

and now most of the coaching staff at yorkshire cricket club have either been sacked or left .. now what are they going to do!!!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59518669

Taddys daughter 29-01-2022 12:10

"What is wrong with young men and women today….that they cannot stand up for themselves?
Grow a pair lad….don’t you think that us pale skinned folks have not been called names?"

As one of the pale skins I have had occasions where I have "grown a pair" at times... it escalated the situation leading me to live on the streets. Abuse can be overt but the more subtle 'banter' and throwaway remarks are far more pervasive, and damaging.

In my current work I have dealt with death threats,with management telling me to deal on my own.

In the past I've dealt with the passive aggressive banter,the subtle remarks. I've also had excrement shoved through my letter box, been bullied at work to the point I ended up living on the streets,been whipped with a metal rope whilst a teenager, not to mention dealing with domestic abuse leading to the loss of children...in all these times I asked for help and was rejected....

Just because people have had to put up with c**p doesn't mean they should carry on...people don't have to put up with a lot they had to before...

Whilst I agree the 'woke brigade' can go too far and racism etc are convenient labels to use, that's no reason to throw the baby out with the bath water...

Margaret Pilkington 29-01-2022 12:40

Spot on.
It seems like there are some folk out there who enjoy being victims…or at least portraying themselves as victims.
You have lived your life, you have dealt with the difficulties that were not of your making and you have not just survived….you were victorious.
That should be celebrated.
We are not steel until we are put through the flame….and that flame will be different for everyone.

taddy 30-01-2022 07:46

[QUOTE=Taddys daughter;1263141]"What is wrong with young men and women today….that they cannot stand up for themselves?
Grow a pair lad….don’t you think that us pale skinned folks have not been called names?"

As one of the pale skins I have had occasions where I have "grown a pair" at times... it escalated the situation leading me to live on the streets. Abuse can be overt but the more subtle 'banter' and throwaway remarks are far more pervasive, and damaging.

In my current work I have dealt with death threats,with management telling me to deal on my own.

In the past I've dealt with the passive aggressive banter,the subtle remarks. I've also had excrement shoved through my letter box, been bullied at work to the point I ended up living on the streets,been whipped with a metal rope whilst a teenager, not to mention dealing with domestic abuse leading to the loss of children...in all these times I asked for help and was rejected....

Just because people have had to put up with c**p doesn't mean they should carry on...people don't have to put up with a lot they had to before...

Whilst I agree the 'woke brigade' can go too far and racism etc are convenient labels to use, that's no reason to throw the baby out with the bath water...

Stick with it Lass you have our total support.were only at the end of a phone line XXX

monkey hanger 30-01-2022 10:13

[QUOTE=Taddys daughter;1263141]"What is wrong with young men and women today….that they cannot stand up for themselves?

As a pale skinned bloke who was subject to a lot of name calling at 11 years of age when moving to yorkshire due to my accent. i was told i was going to get it, accepted it and my novalty value eventually went away especially when they wanted a goalkeeper for the school under 12,s. my elder sister had similar problems herself when a similar family move happened in war time. being the smatest and prittiest lass in the class did not help but it took years for her to recover this unlike me.