Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   The Sport, or otherwise, of Cricket (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/the-sport-or-otherwise-of-cricket-73442.html)

taddy 05-07-2023 18:03

Re: The Sport, or otherwise, of Cricket

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1272898]Why do you keep on quoting Milton Sutherland Taddy…he is long gone.

Marge, He was never called Sutherland, he lived on Burnley Road, Huncoat, in the village that I have lived in for one year short of 70 years, his name was Milton Suthers, and he was one of the best teachers that I have ever had, Whether it be Sports, Maths or whatever, he did not only teach the subjects that he was paid to do, he also taught his pupils how to live their life as a (grown up)

Margaret Pilkington 05-07-2023 18:29

Taddy, you miss the point entirely.
Dottie already acknowledged that what happened was according to the rules…the rules were adhered to.
But it was not ‘sportsmanship’.
Sportsmanship has been killed off by money. When sport is governed by money it ceases to be sport, it becomes business….a transaction.

I KNOW the rules were followed, but it was just shabby of the Aussies to make mileage of an oversight by the batsman (who considered this to be the end of the over and as such a dead ball…one not able of being used to stump him).
Do umpires never make mistakes? If that is the case why do they use video equipment to corroborate the decisions?

Shabby, Shabby, Shabby….and just because you were a player of sports some fifty years ago does not influence me to change my opinion.
That was then, this is now.
Taddy I say this respectfully and as a person who thinks these sports are a waste of human effort.

Margaret Pilkington 05-07-2023 19:06

Taddy if you had looked carefully you would have seen that this was my iPad that changed the name and I had corrected this in post 14.
I know exactly what he was called he scared the bjasus out of me in Maths, because he not only did sport, he taught Maths too.
While he might have taught you how to live life as a grown up, that is not how I remember him.

dotti34 06-07-2023 06:19

Taddy, I don’t know why you think Cashie has never played sport and that you have arrived at this conclusion because of his posts on this thread. I don’t get that impression at all. I would never presume to know more about a person than I actually do so for all I know Cashie might have excelled at sports and got medals to prove it, might know rulebooks inside out, but that has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

It is good to know that you played sport and got enjoyment from it, didn’t most of us play sport at one time or another – I know I did. Of course we were all taught the rules otherwise how would we have known how to play the game. However we were also taught how to play the game fairly. In the case in point the batsman made an honest mistake, the wicket-keeper took advantage of this. Rule or no rule it was not in the name of good sportsmanship and that was the point I was making.

dotti34 06-07-2023 07:04

By the way, Taddy, please don’t take offence but I’m a bit confused as to how you feel about what happened. Is it that you consider rules are rules and there’s no bending them whatever the occasion, or do you agree with the general consensus on this thread so far that irrespective of what the rule book says it really was bad sportsmanship?

cashman 06-07-2023 09:18

well taddy seems to know everything, but i still dont care it was bad sportsmanship which i dont expect anyone that dont follow sport knows NOUT ABOUT,

Margaret Pilkington 06-07-2023 09:33

Carlton Brewery has released a new version of Victoria Bitter (vBulletin for short) except this new version is called England Bitter.
Now doesn’t that say all about the Australian ethos, how they see their sports teams.
Not sporting and still Shabby.(no respect for the team they are playing against)

taddy 06-07-2023 10:28

[QUOTE=dotti34;1272912]By the way, Taddy, please don’t take offence but I’m a bit confused as to how you feel about what happened. Is it that you consider rules are rules and there’s no bending them whatever the occasion, or do you agree with the general consensus on this thread so far that irrespective of what the rule book says it really was bad sportsmanship?

Dotti yes rules are rules, o/k we all tend to bend them to our own advantage now and again but in this case the wicket keeper was entirely within his rights under the laws of the game to do what he did and the batsman should have known that, just my opinion for what that is worth.

taddy 06-07-2023 10:33

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1272919]Carlton Brewery has released a new version of Victoria Bitter (vBulletin for short) except this new version is called England Bitter.
Now doesn’t that say all about the Australian ethos, how they see their sports teams.
Not sporting and still Shabby.(no respect for the team they are playing against)

Yes Marge I have just had a chuckle to myself after reading in the Daily Mail about this new "English Bitter". ;);)

taddy 06-07-2023 11:45

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1272905]Taddy, you miss the point entirely.
Dottie already acknowledged that what happened was according to the
Shabby, Shabby, Shabby….and just because you were a player of sports some fifty years ago

Taddy I say this respectfully and as a person who thinks these sports are a waste of human effort

Marge, just to correct you, it was 60 years ago not fifty, :D

taddy 06-07-2023 11:49

[QUOTE=cashman;1272917]well taddy seems to know everything, but i still dont care it was bad sportsmanship which i dont expect anyone that dont follow sport knows NOUT ABOUT,[/

Cashy if I thought that I knew everything I would called "Sir", Keir Starmer and I do follow sport but not football; watching 22 over paid Prima Donnas is not my cup of tea, (or pint of ale).

Margaret Pilkington 06-07-2023 14:07

Fifty or sixty…
What I was saying is, that it is a long long time ago…things change, but sportsmanship does not…it is what makes sport, sport rather than a business transaction.
Still shabby, still not in the SPIRIT of the game.
But because it is the rules then that is OK is it?
Even you seem to have agreed that sometimes the rules need to be bent.
This would have been one of those occasions.

Margaret Pilkington 06-07-2023 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1272919)
Carlton Brewery has released a new version of Victoria Bitter (vBulletin for short) except this new version is called England Bitter.

That should read V Bee(as in the letter B…not bulletin)
That was Accyweb changing what I posted rather then my iPad.

Exile on Spencer St 06-07-2023 20:43

With all this chatter lately about ‘the spirit’ of cricket, and how it was so much more ‘sporting’ in the ‘good old days’, it surprises me no one has brought up the name of Douglas Jardine.
He was the quintessential ‘gentleman’ cricketer, an amateur captain of England, schooled at Winchester (manners maketh the man) and Oxford, and played for that most refined county of Surrey.
But, ask any Aussie what he was and the response may be different - a cheating cad, who used ‘body line’ bowling (i.e. aiming at the leg stump and the batter’s body) in the ‘32-33 tour of Australia. This, ostensibly, to nullify the batting prowess of Donald Bradman, to some the best batsman ever to puck up a plank of willow.
It wasn’t the first time that type of bowling had been seen but, at the time in test matches, it was definitely not ‘cricket’, old boy.

Personally, whilst I enjoy watching cricket, it always seemed a dangerous way to spend an afternoon and had only the loosest connection to gentlemanly behaviour.
The idea that a batsman would be thinking about the ‘spirit’ of the game as he faced the bowling of Wes Hall at Thorneyholme Road always seemed fanciful, if not potentially fatal.

dotti34 07-07-2023 01:21

Here’s a fun story to lighten this thread. Years ago my youngest daughter was doing a certificated course and she was the only female amongst a number of males. She organised cricket matches to be played in their lunch breaks but she also made up a rule which she called ‘out, boring’. Self-explanatory, if the way a batsman was playing was boring then that person had to walk. Now that would be a good one to add to cricket’s rule book….