Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2008, 14:00   #1
God Member

Delicate sensibilities and other sins.

I had always been under the impression that the Koran forbade gambling, in any form, as an inherently sinful occupation, hence....

5:90 O ye who believe! Strong drink and games of chance and idols and divining arrows are only an infamy of Satan's handiwork. Leave it aside in order that ye may succeed.
5:91 Satan seeketh only to cast among you enmity and hatred by means of strong drink and games of chance, and to turn you from remembrance of Allah and from (His) worship. Will ye then have done ?

One supposes that logic leads one to believe that this prohibition would also extend to the use of the products of gambling.
How curious then to discover, via the pages of the local rag, the general rejoicing among our ethnic sisters of south-asian origin at the largesse of the Big Lottery Fund.

http://www.accringtonobserver.co.uk/news/s/1034699_community_groups_get_lotto_cash

I recall that when the lottery was introduced members of the Church of England, non-conformists and the Catholic Church were all equally certain that it was a tool of the devil and should not be allowed. But it seems that, like the Christian clergy, the moral scruples of our Muslim sisters are just as easily assuaged when the price is right.

Hypocrites, the lot of them!

Oh and please don't try and tell me how downtrodden and disenfranchised the recipients are, or what a good idea it is to transform the money by using it for a good cause, such worthy, mealy-mouthed sophistry does not impress. Wrong is wrong. It is as simple as that. You cannot pick and choose which bits of scripture you choose to obey, just as you cannot pick and choose which parts of the law you choose to obey.
The article contains the following: “Saheli Connection is an innovative project to help young Asian girls who are at risk of poor health due to lack of exercise. It was awarded a massive £244,765 to help it provide opportunities for Asian girls who are isolated and excluded from taking part in mainstream sporting activities due to cultural or religious beliefs. The activities will include netball, hockey, swimming and aerobics, and will be free for all girls.”

When such activities are provided free for all children by the education system, it strikes me that this is yet another instance of muslim separatism and the refusal to integrate.
Old 05-02-2008, 14:10   #2
God Member

Re: Delicate sensibilities and other sins.

One of the questions on the lottery application forms is along the lines of

Would you have objections to receiving money raised through the lottery on religious grounds?

....or words to that effect.

Which really puzzles me because if you aren't able to receive it then why fill in the form in the first place?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 14:14   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

case of when it suits i guess gayle.
Old 05-02-2008, 14:23   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
You cannot pick and choose which bits of scripture you choose to obey, just as you cannot pick and choose which parts of the law you choose to obey.
I read the attached article over the weekend and it would appear that the scriptures are extremely hard for anyone to follow resolutely so perhaps the Bible or Koran is just a guidance for us to use.

What happened when AJ Jacobs spent a year living biblically | Weekend | Guardian Unlimited

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 17:58   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
so perhaps the Bible or Koran is just a guidance for us to use.
Good idea Gayle , Since Jesus threw the money lenders out of the Temple, and charging interest is forbidden in Islamic banking , I suggest we start by stoning all the Bankers
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..