Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nightlife, Events, Days out (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f70/)
-   -   Animating/crotcheting/mapping Accy (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f70/animating-crotcheting-mapping-accy-55242.html)

Gayle 13-10-2010 12:11

Animating/crotcheting/mapping Accy

2 Attachment(s)
A brand new map of Accrington will be launched on Saturday in Accrington Market. Come along and have a look at the map and before we print 1000s of it, you can check whether your favourite place is included.

An animated film will be shown in the market, using voices from local Accrington people talking about their favourite places in Accrington. Come between 11 and 1, to see the film which will be played on a continuous loop.

Crochet sculptures will be hung around the market hall. Visit the stalls and see this interesting work displayed.

These projects are all part of Liberating Empty Terrain, a project funded by Arts Council and managed by Creativity Works and Hyndburn Borough Council - to add interesting features to the town centre and to help promote the shopping areas.

yerself 13-10-2010 14:12

Re: Animating/crotcheting/mapping Accy

Forgive me for being a 'palestine', but how do crochet sculptures liberate empty terrain? Is the fact that terrain is empty not a sign that it is liberated? Place or build something on the said terrain and it is then captured.

garinda 14-10-2010 08:28

1 Attachment(s)
What's the animated character called?

Little Dickie?

Phallic Freddie?

The Little Pink One Eyed Monster - Who Had An Extra Eye?

LET Project's Blog

:rolleyes:

Benipete 14-10-2010 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 851833)
Forgive me for being a 'palestine', but how do crochet sculptures liberate empty terrain? Is the fact that terrain is empty not a sign that it is liberated? Place or build something on the said terrain and it is then captured.

Do you mean Philistine (a person not interested in intellectual pursuits):eek:

I think I may be one as well.:D

yerself 14-10-2010 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete
Do you mean Philistine (a person not interested in intellectual pursuits)

No. I mean one of these:;)

philistine noun

a person who refuses to see the beauty or the value of art, literature, music or culture in any form
I wouldn't have expected them to enjoy a film of that quality anyway - they're just a bunch of philistines!
(Definition of philistine noun from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)

You seem to be getting confused with these:

Philistine noun

one of a race of people who lived in the area near the coast of the SE Mediterranean in ancient times and were often at war with the Israelites
(Definition of Philistine noun from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)

Yes I know I put 'palestine', I can't remember who said "Call me a palestine". It was either Del Boy in Only Fools and Horses or Fletch in Porridge.

Margaret Pilkington 14-10-2010 21:18

I must be a palestine too.
I would prefer the market hall to SELL stuff...not put on entertainment or arty farty things.
Sorry Gayle...there is a place for this kind of stuff......but I don't think it is the Market Hall....Town Hall maybe would be a better venue...still central and would attract the kind of folk who give a schizzle.

jaysay 15-10-2010 09:01

Re: Animating/crocheting/mapping Accy

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 852133)
No. I mean one of these:;)

philistine noun

a person who refuses to see the beauty or the value of art, literature, music or culture in any form
I wouldn't have expected them to enjoy a film of that quality anyway - they're just a bunch of philistines!
(Definition of philistine noun from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)

You seem to be getting confused with these:

Philistine noun

one of a race of people who lived in the area near the coast of the SE Mediterranean in ancient times and were often at war with the Israelites
(Definition of Philistine noun from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)

Yes I know I put 'palestine', I can't remember who said "Call me a palestine". It was either Del Boy in Only Fools and Horses or Fletch in Porridge.

Seems like Del Boy and Fletcher were a mind of history:D

Barrie Yates 29-10-2010 22:14

There is a Philistine St in Jeddah to this day - a rather downbeat area

garinda 29-10-2010 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 856541)

You don't happen to have a bus timetable for Jeddah, do you?

steeljack 30-10-2010 01:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 856541)

Guess times have changed the old days it was near to the Queens Palace and the US Embassy ;)

Barrie Yates 01-11-2010 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 856578)
Guess times have changed the old days it was
near to the Queens Palace and the US Embassy ;)

Not too far from US Embassy, may have changed in the last few years but grotty when we lived there (no, we lived at the other end of the city:D).

Saw some of the "Crochet Sculptures" last week - looked like a few balls of wool that a few kittens had managed to tangle up. Pay someone to demonstrate that?
There was a book with DVD on Clitheroe Market on Sunday - "Learn How to Crochet - From 1st Steps to the Complex" Cost? a princely sum of 50p.