Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nightlife, Events, Days out (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f70/)
-   -   Hyndburn Local History Society (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f70/hyndburn-local-history-society-65228.html)

Bob Dobson 20-01-2015 15:51

Re: Hyndburn Local History Society

Quote:

Originally Posted by westendlass (Post 1130380)
Well, I didn't know that! Might pop down one day and put a face to peoples names.

Please let me know in advance so that I can get my wig out.

Next meeting is Thursday 5th Feb. Speaker is Harold Heys, a retired Evening Telegraph reporter. He is speaking on -not from - Darwen Tower. I've ben told that he is giving a bottle of Jubilee Stout to all who attend

Bob Dobson 05-02-2015 09:27

It's tonight !!!!! Am surprised that nobody asked - Why a Jubilee Stout.? Not even Katex asked. Is her brilliance fading ? Do her wits need sharpening ?

Gordon Booth 05-02-2015 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1132232)
It's tonight !!!!! Am surprised that nobody asked - Why a Jubilee Stout.? Not even Katex asked. Is her brilliance fading ? Do her wits need sharpening ?

Ahh, Bob. I get it!

You're getting a bottle of Jubilee Stout because you got the name wrong!

Consolation prize?

Bob Dobson 06-02-2015 10:20

Harold's one-hour presentation started in 1860s when the moors were closed by landowners who employed men to protect the shooting rights and prevent trespassing. There followed a mass trespass and neogotations with the owners to allow walking on footpaths. In January 1897, in the Queen's 60th Jubilee year, a letter to the Darwen News suggested the building of a tower. In September the first sod was cut, and in June the following the tower was opened. Cost £773. It is at a higher above-sea level than is
the Peel Tower, but 20ft lower. Harold went onto talk about the India Mill chimney.

Gordon Booth 06-02-2015 10:24

Sounds an interesting evening-wish I could have gone.

Bob Dobson 09-10-2017 21:08

Next meeting is on Thursday 2nd November, when Mike Rothwell is the speaker. He will be selling his latest book, an update of his 1979 book on Hyndburn's Industrial Heritage. So far as I am concerned, this is a 'must have' @ £12. It has been funded by the society. Mike knows more about the subject than anyone has ever known. Starts @ 7.30pm. finishes 9pm A small charge on the door for non-members- A yeara's membership ciosts £12/

The society is looking for new committee members. - if interested, ring the sec , David Climpson on 237229

jimeryhowits 25-10-2017 19:49

you have absolutely right

taddy 25-11-2017 10:17

Re: you have absolutely right

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimeryhowits (Post 1203599)

Whom has what absolutely right? :confused:

Atarah 08-06-2018 09:46

So very sorry to learn of the death of Mr Mike Rothwell, a well known local lad, ex teacher/headmaster and renowned local historian. He died on 20th May 2018. His latest, updated book "Industrial Heritage" will be the final chapter in his books on our industrial heritage, which he first began writing in 1978. His book is on sale in our Museum in the Arndale, which re-opened yesterday ie 7th June 2018. A lovely lovely lad!