Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Anything Goes (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f71/)
-   -   Old brains... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f71/old-brains-65626.html)

dotti34 22-01-2014 23:39

Old brains...

Phew! what a relief. Just read the findings of a study (sorry, yes another one, I do so like sharing these with you all) – this one done at Tubingen University in Germany, and apparently older brains do not lose capacity they simply take longer to process the huge amount of information gathered over a lifetime.

According to Dr. Michael Ramscar, the brain works slower in old age, but only because we have stored more information over time. Apparently the brains of older people do not get weak – they know more.

Here I was, saying goodbye to the millions of brain cells I thought I was losing every day – told they would never be replaced – and all the time I have just been getting a larger and larger filing cabinet up there in the old noggin’.

No wonder I have a head ache – it’s my old brain expanding…..

Eric 23-01-2014 02:51

Re: Old brains...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1091461)
Phew! what a relief. Just read the findings of a study (sorry, yes another one, I do so like sharing these with you all) – this one done at Tubingen University in Germany, and apparently older brains do not lose capacity they simply take longer to process the huge amount of information gathered over a lifetime.

According to Dr. Michael Ramscar, the brain works slower in old age, but only because we have stored more information over time. Apparently the brains of older people do not get weak – they know more.

Here I was, saying goodbye to the millions of brain cells I thought I was losing every day – told they would never be replaced – and all the time I have just been getting a larger and larger filing cabinet up there in the old noggin’.

You can find ideas like this in literature: Tennyson's "Ulysses" has the line, "I am a part of all that I have met." Or, better still, Christopher Isherwood's "I am a camera ... ".

I don't believe it matters how many brain cells one kills; there's no shortage up there. In fact, I'm slaughtering them in their millions rite now.:D Yes, I will have another beer;) I don't think that it's so much a question of thinking more slowly; us older folks think shiite out before we act or speak. Come to think of it that's not a bad idea ... and at my age I'm not limber enough to keep sticking my foot in my gob.:D

Margaret Pilkington 23-01-2014 07:17

This is something I have believed for a long time......now it has been confirmed by someone in a professional capacity.

I sometimes find that chasing a bit of information is like catching a butterfly........you only manage it when you stop looking.

These days too.....I am selective about what I try to get my brain to store.......I don't bother with celebrity gossip..or local gossip for that matter.
What is happening in someone else's life can be dealt with by them...and I don't need to know about it.(unless of course, it impacts on me)

Less 23-01-2014 07:28

Old brains...

I'm finding that I have to be selective about anything new I remember, my theory is that the old noggin is stuffed full of trivia and to store something new I'd have to make room by forgetting something old.
At least I think that's what I mean not sure if this is a new thought that has replaced what I used to think on this subject, whatever it is.

Gordon Booth 23-01-2014 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1091461)

If this is all true how come I can hear a rattling noise every time I shake my head?

Can't remember when I last heard it though.

Margaret Pilkington 23-01-2014 15:30

Brains of elderly slow because they know so much - Telegraph

Here is a link in case you want to read the article.

cashman 23-01-2014 16:20

If yer memorys part of yer brain,then i don't buy this!!! cos me memorys knackered to what it used to be.