Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Anything Goes (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f71/)
-   -   Fried Bread ... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f71/fried-bread-66350.html)

Restless 26-07-2014 11:26

Re: Fried Bread ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1111334)
......some folk like their bread to be done in the bacon fat.....others are not nearly so

Only way to have it! :D

Turtle 26-07-2014 21:37

My Dad used to make us a 'one eyed sandwich' - bread fried in bacon fat, then a square hole cut in it and an egg fried in the hole. Memorable and delicious!

Less 25-05-2021 14:32

Was watching a very, very, very, old film when they mentioned dripping butties, that reminded me of the good old days of unhealthy eating and how we would devour these delights like there was no tomorrow (with added salt we were so brave and carefree back then).

That in turn reminded me of this thread, which would also give culinary and health experts nightmares,
enjoy, while I retire to the kitchen to fry up some bread, think I might just add an egg or three to that.

Oh boy, oh boy, my cholesterol levels will at last be returned to a high level.

cashman 25-05-2021 14:44

sod all wrong wi fried bread far as im concerned.

DaveinGermany 24-12-2021 19:34

A Yorkingshire friend, always keen to save a couple of bob toasts their bread first, then drops it in the fat (of choice) sizzling in the frying pan & much to my outrage & disgust at this blatant sacrilege to the revered "fried slice" I must admit it wasn't that bad actually. :o :D

landhusweg 25-12-2021 09:44

A lot has been said about unhealthy food that we ate in the forties, fifties etc. but when I read the funeral notices in the observer (via LancsLive), I'm always surprised at the number of people who have passed away who were in their nineties, so was it all that unhealthy in the past, or is it that we have come to be "indoctrinated" about our eating healthy and watching our cholesterol levels?
Cheers & stay healthy

Margaret Pilkington 25-12-2021 10:00

No, I don’t think it was unhealthy…add to that the people of that age were mainly working in very physical jobs, you did not see very many really fat people.

I think that there were fewer additives…people cooked from scratch…the only real take away was a chippy tea….and that was very infrequent.
We had sugar in our tea…full fat milk, ate butter on our bread….and what is just as important is that we had no concerns about what we are…we did not obsess about food or calories.
We drank water or milk….not fizzy drinks.
All this must count for something.

Margaret Pilkington 25-12-2021 10:01

Oh yes…and there were times we went hungry(well, that is true for me).

DaveinGermany 25-12-2021 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by landhusweg (Post 1261609)
or is it that we have come to be "indoctrinated" about our eating healthy and watching our cholesterol levels?
Cheers & stay healthy

Think that is more likely the case, to many people with "Fingers in pies" & all earning obscenely well by extending the myth, yet many nations are still pumping out "Lardys" with greased ease.