Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Anything Goes (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f71/)
-   -   Not Smoking. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f71/not-smoking-68820.html)

Less 16-01-2017 19:57

Not Smoking.

I chose last Friday morning not to go the corner shop and get some smokes, I have continued not to go for some right up until now, well, I say now, in actual fact, I mean about quarter of an hour ago.

I'm now sat here staring at the little cellophane strip that will allow me entry to ten superking, I haven't gone this long, without tobacco for over 40, perhaps 50 years.

Should I be strong? Should I turn my back on this packet of weed? After all, I've managed nearly 5 days without lighting up.

What should I do? (somehow, I already know what I will do, which is probably different from what I should do).

Rowlf 16-01-2017 20:03

Re: Not Smoking.

Be strong Less and resist opening the packet. The advert currently on TV is enough to put anyone off. Save your money and treat yourself to a nice holiday or something. Good luck.

Stevie R 16-01-2017 20:05

Swap your ten Superkings for ten Silk Cut;)

Less 16-01-2017 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie R (Post 1185585)
Swap your ten Superkings for ten Silk Cut;)

My X decided we should smoke silk cut, I used to wrap insulation tape around the perforations so that I could get a good drag on my fag.
:joint:

So far, this hasn't helped, I've undone half the cellophane, I'm getting nearer to opening the packet.
:o

Margaret Pilkington 16-01-2017 20:14

Ignore the allure of the packet. Those receptors in your brain that are tickled by nicotine are now almost dead. What you have to combat now is the 'hand to mouth' habit.
Continue in the vein of the last five days and you will become richer and you might even get to call yourself a 'non smoker'.
And on another note Less, well done on the five days abstinence from Nicotine.
You deserve a putty medal

Less 16-01-2017 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1185587)
Ignore the allure of the packet. Those receptors in your brain that are tickled by nicotine are now almost dead. What you have to combat now is the 'hand to mouth' habit.
Continue in the vein of the last five days and you will become richer and you might even get to call yourself a 'non smoker'.
And on another note Less, well done on the five days abstinence from Nicotine.
You deserve a putty medal

Well, thank you, you mentioned receptors and brain with a reference to me as if that could be true, as for a 'putty medal', nope, too olde worlde I'd rather have a modern day silicon sealant medal,

I enjoy the idea of being a 'non smoker' except...

I've met quite a few of them, they seem very unforgiving towards smokers, should I be one?

So far, this is the closest to getting me to re-seal the packet, but still it's failed, I really am close to opening it.
:end:

Margaret Pilkington 16-01-2017 20:30

You could always break the mould of evangelical ex smokers...show them compassion and celebrate them overcoming their habit.

Yes, you do have a brain...and it has receptors that were stimulated by Nicotine, but I was taught that after five to seven days these receptors are gone, but they can be re activated by that next cigarette...and they will leap back to life.

If you was a silicone sealant medal, I am sure it could be arranged.
And lastly if you fail to resist the temptation of lady Nicotine, then at least you managed five days. Next time it might be five weeks.

Less 16-01-2017 20:41

What the hey, rather than resist lady nicotine I will embrace her, it's got to be cheaper than the three bottles of vodka per day I'm substituting the habit with.
:dflam:

Less 16-01-2017 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1185592)
What the hey, rather than resist lady nicotine I will embrace her, it's got to be cheaper than the three bottles of vodka per day I'm substituting the habit with.
:dflam:

Only joking, so far it's only been two bottles.
:p

Margaret Pilkington 16-01-2017 20:48

Oh well, it was a nice try(I can see you sitting back and taking long drags on that pure white stick of temptation).but no cigar.
At least Vodka is a 'clean' spirit.

Less 16-01-2017 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1185595)
Oh well, it was a nice try(I can see you sitting back and taking long drags on that pure white stick of temptation).but no cigar.
At least Vodka is a 'clean' spirit.

I lasted until now (whatever time stamp this post gets)

I just couldn't resist your description,

Quote:

(I can see you sitting back and taking long drags on that pure white stick of temptation)
Not to worry, I'll try again to give up in another 40 or 50 years.
:rolleyes:

Accyexplorer 16-01-2017 21:22

For the future, you could try a electronic alternative,although this is swapping one habit for another,it's healthier....for now,enjoy your weed :smoky:

Less 16-01-2017 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1185600)
For the future, you could try a electronic alternative,although this is swapping one habit for another,it's healthier....for now,enjoy your weed :smoky:

Nope, I know I failed, but I reckon cold turkey is the way, I'll try again, (and possibly, again and again), I got this far which is further than I ever thought I could go.

Accyexplorer 16-01-2017 21:36

Positive mental attitude plays a big part in quitting,that's where I fall :D

I wish you the best I luck,I wish I could kick my vape machine,the hand to mouth habit seems harder to kick now than the nicotine.

Neil 16-01-2017 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1185600)

Is it really healthier? The debate is out on that still

Less 16-01-2017 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1185605)

Wow! How serious is that? This is 'Anything goes', who can I report you to?
:confused:

P.S. Only joking.

Less 16-01-2017 23:45

Got to admit, even though it's only 4 hours since I started this thread I've just lit my third fag, Oh it is such a relief, mind you I might have had a few more except...

...I threw out all my lighters and matches so rubbing two boy scouts together to get a light is proving difficult, perhaps if they weren't so ticklish I could smoke more easily!

Accyexplorer 17-01-2017 00:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1185605)

Surely Ecigs are a no brainier? even I can grasp they are healthier, in the way that they don't clog your arteries like standard ciggies do and I'd assume any medical professional would say the same.

If folk want to get their nicotine fix without burning and inhaling toxic leaves then they should be encouraged not hindered.

Neil 17-01-2017 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1185610)
Surely Ecigs are a no brainier? even I can grasp they are healthier, in the way that they don't clog your arteries like standard ciggies do and I'd assume any medical professional would say the same.

If folk want to get their nicotine fix without burning and inhaling toxic leaves then they should be encouraged not hindered.

I'll post this link to the Telegraph about ecigs and then I'll try and stop being serious in anything goes ;)

Vaping as bad for your heart as smoking cigarettes, study finds

Margaret Pilkington 17-01-2017 06:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1185601)
Nope, I know I failed, but I reckon cold turkey is the way, I'll try again, (and possibly, again and again), I got this far which is further than I ever thought I could go.

I think you are right about the 'cold turkey' being the way to quit...if you have the won't power, that is.
You should not really expect to be able to conquer a habit that has gripped you for so many decades, in five days.
But five days is a good start.

Margaret Pilkington 17-01-2017 06:53

I think that stopping smoking is a serious subject and deserves to be in another section of the forum :)

ferret man 17-01-2017 11:01

Kicked the habit about 40 year ago, it took me about 3 weeks cold turkey to get through the hard part. I was as ratty as hell in that 3 weeks(no ferret comments please), it got easier after that, just look at the size of a ciggy and ask yourself why has that got the power over me. If all fails and you try the vape way I have got some ash trays I made for them they are quite cheap as they don't seem to be selling to well.

taddy 17-01-2017 13:26

I started smoking at 13 years of age, Willy Woodbines were available singly in a shop on Cotton Street, on the way to Woodnook School. went on to full packets of Woodbines, Park Drive, Number six, etc; then started rolling my own with Golden Virginia.

Tried to give over many times, I once managed to stop for over twelve months probably thirty or so years ago but a King Edwards Imperial given to me after a meal out one night undid all my hard work.

Called into my G.P.s Surgery seven years ago, where after breathing into a lung testing tube device, the doctor wrote down 50% on a form; when I questioned what the 50% was she stated that I had 50% lung capacity but that's thr same as having one lung I replied. Correct! and it won't get any better whilst you are still smoking. Ihave not had any weed of any kind since. So I started at 13 year's of age and stopped at 63 year's of age.

It needs the initial jolt to shock you into giving over. (I have now become an apprentice alcoholic). Only Joking, (I think).

cashman 17-01-2017 14:43

I also started at 13 thanks to me paper delivery money.:D aint had a fag now for 3 n half years, got one of them vapours, it did help me, rarely use it now or even take it out wi me, apart from when i go up Stanley, i never stopped fer health reasons, dont really give a monkies about them at my age, so i was a smoker fer 50 odd years, only time i fancy a fag now, is when i'm watching one of those owd progs on telly from around 50s or 60s, every begger and his dog lights upon them, so then the craving kicks in.:D have beat it so far though.

Michael1954 17-01-2017 14:50

I haven't smoked for a number of years now. Unfortunately, I'm now addicted to Nicotinell chewing gum.

Less 17-01-2017 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1954 (Post 1185638)
I haven't smoked for a number of years now. Unfortunately, I'm now addicted to Nicotinell chewing gum.

This and the electronic fag becoming an alternative addiction to genuine fags is why I'm trying the cold turkey route, not doing too bad, I've only had two so far today though after reading today's posts I've a feeling that my third of the day will soon be lit up, strange how just thinking about it makes it seem more attractive than yet another packet of crisps.
;)

Margaret Pilkington 17-01-2017 16:13

I have never smoked....only ever smouldered and that depends on who I am with(I reckon I can get away with this because it is Anything Goes) :)

gpick24 17-01-2017 16:39

Good on you for trying to packet in..http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/getmecoat.gif

Rowlf 17-01-2017 17:35

It sounds like you are doing well Less. Well done.

Accyexplorer 17-01-2017 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1185611)
I'll post this link to the Telegraph about ecigs and then I'll try and stop being serious in anything goes ;)

Vaping as bad for your heart as smoking cigarettes, study finds

I would argue that,"studies" can be made to say anything depending on who's funding them, it is a no brainer.

I can only speak from my experiences with Ecig/vape machines,thanks to vaping I've been weed free for over two years (from a 20+ a day habit).
I've saved a small fortune,the (smoker's) cough that I had has gone and I generally feel (and smell according to the commanding officer) much better since changing to a electronic vape machine.

It's obviously not as healthy as not smoking,but certainly beats them dirty ciggies (I reserve the right to change my mind in 30yrs if I develop any attributable ailments ;)).

Neil 17-01-2017 21:40

Did you see the pictures on Facebook of the blokes face after he ecig exploded?

Accyexplorer 17-01-2017 22:28

I had to google it,looks like there are numerous accidents,I don't know the usage to accident ratio....Maybe strict quality control would stub these explosions out.

Neil 18-01-2017 05:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1185693)
I had to google it,looks like there are numerous accidents,I don't know the usage to accident ratio....Maybe strict quality control would stub these explosions out.

Unfortunately whenever I see regulating ecigs mentioned it's quickly followed by people jumping up and down because it will mean an increase in cost.

DaveinGermany 18-01-2017 05:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1185695)
Unfortunately whenever I see regulating ecigs mentioned it's quickly followed by people jumping up and down because it will mean an increase in cost.

Personally I think that if you choose to "Smoke" you can pay the price, I used to smoke proper cigs for 20+ years, but packed in in May 2000. Still not financially better off as I just spend my savings elsewhere. :D

Less 18-01-2017 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1185690)

Did you see McDees face after he'd sold his 300 billionth burger?

Now that is frightening!

https://agirlwhoisageek.files.wordpr...013/11/mc2.jpg

The thing is, efags, cars, planes, sugar tongs, whatever!
None of them have a perfect safety record, but we still use them all.

It's known as choice.

cashman 18-01-2017 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1185690)

I was told before i ever bought one, NOT to buy a cheepo one, cos they could explode, i didn't and mines fine.;) i think its all about checking out best yeh can first?

Less 25-01-2017 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breure (Post 1186271)
I'm trying to quit smoking for the sixth time, I can not.

Got to admit I'm failing at the moment, I had kept it down to 5 a day but...

...maybe it's time I became addicted to nicotine gum?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PuvpqDHFEt...gum-smiley.png

odders 25-01-2017 18:34

Mind over matter....it's easy to quit it's their after. Find your occupation or just use a pen to twiddle with

Eric 19-02-2017 15:28

I've been smoking since I was nine, toking since I was fourteen, and I ain't gonna quit. When the doctor tells me there is nowt more he can do, I will repond, hoarsely thru a hole in my throat, "Yes there is; get me a priest right the (deleted) now, and make sure he has some fags and a bottle of Pussers with him.
I'm lucky enough to live close to the rez, so I got my smokes for 20 bucks a carton. No warnings. No piscs of the dying. Just four words: "Made on Mohawk Territory.":theband:

nancy boy 2007 19-02-2017 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1185582)
I chose last Friday morning not to go the corner shop and get some smokes, I have continued not to go for some right up until now, well, I say now, in actual fact, I mean about quarter of an hour ago.

I'm now sat here staring at the little cellophane strip that will allow me entry to ten superking, I haven't gone this long, without tobacco for over 40, perhaps 50 years.

Should I be strong? Should I turn my back on this packet of weed? After all, I've managed nearly 5 days without lighting up.

What should I do? (somehow, I already know what I will do, which is probably different from what I should do).

Oh stay strong dear man. I share your agony

Eric 19-02-2017 16:08

Let's pause in our sharing of Less's pain and give our thoughts and prayers to the Swedes in light of the deadly terrorist attack. :rofl38:

nancy boy 2007 19-02-2017 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1185609)
Got to admit, even though it's only 4 hours since I started this thread I've just lit my third fag, Oh it is such a relief, mind you I might have had a few more except...

...I threw out all my lighters and matches so rubbing two boy scouts together to get a light is proving difficult, perhaps if they weren't so ticklish I could smoke more easily!

I decided to have a hamlet at 11:30pm on Friday night, except like you could I find a flame? Could I buggary!! I was climbing the walls until I found a complimentary pack of matches from an Indian restaurant in Covent Garden in my evening suit, damp as hell but I managed to light ON of the buggers. Heaven!

Less 19-02-2017 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1187912)
Let's pause in our sharing of Less's pain and give our thoughts and prayers to the Swedes in light of the deadly terrorist attack. :rofl38:

No pain, I was back to rolling my own, decided that was more unhealthy than smoking as I couldn't read the screen so, back on the weed and it's WONDERFUL!
:joint::signthis::joint:

:hidewall:

MargaretR 20-02-2017 11:57

I moved into a residential care home on Jan 26th, so had to go COLD TURKEY on fags.
I only smoked 10 or fewer roll ups a day for the past 3 years so did not expect extreme cravings - but I have had longings - especially after meals.

I have not noticed any improvement in breathing - still gasp when move about.
If anything it is more difficult to cough to clear my chest - never reached the wheezing stage despite smoking heavily for over 50 years.

So I feel that my only gain is cost - just hope that cravings will eventually fade

Rowlf 20-02-2017 12:37

I hope they do Margaret. Hope you will be happy in your new home

Margaret Pilkington 20-02-2017 12:41

My husband went cold turkey and he has been off cigarettes for oh...about 30 years, but he still says there are times when he could murder a fag.
Hope they are looking after you Margaret...and hope your longings disappear too.
Good to see you have access to accyweb...even if there is nothing you want to post on, you can still keep your eye on us. we aren't good if left unsupervised for too long :D

Busman747 20-02-2017 14:55

Can I give a little of my history for anyone that is interested or keen to pack in the weed? I had been a heavy smoker for over 40 years. At my peak I was getting through up to 70 ciggies a day:mad: At my best, I was down to a mere 30 a day.
Around the late 90's I gave up by using patches. This worked for three months until one night I convinced myself I was a "non-smoker" and promptly bought a pack of 10 and lit one. No logic and I threw 9 of them out of the car window in disgust - - only to stop at the next tobacconist :o

A few months later, tried again with patches only to find that my skin was now showing a bad reaction to plasters or plastic BUT I KNEW THAT NON-SMOKING WAS ACHIEVABLE!!
Time after time, I kept trying using all the new innovations as they came on the market. I finally achieved my goal using pastilles (way over maximum dosage) but my stomach was reacting badly to them (diarrhea and flatulence) I moved on to mini tablets and then those small squares of gel that dissolve in the mouth. (Difficult when driving to get them out of their packaging)
Finally, Nicorette brought out a mouth spray which is perfect but expensive (On promotion at Asda's at the moment for £12-00)
After 9 years of non-smoking, I am still addicted to nicotine but no longer associate nicotine with cigarettes :D

I am not smug, it was extremely hard to stop but I am proud of my achievement.
My advice to Less and all those others that want to stop is;
A) After being unsuccessful, try again soon afterwards AND---
B) Make use of all the methods now on the supermarket shelves.
:)
Good luck.

Margaret Pilkington 20-02-2017 15:16

Well Done Busman.
When my husband first gave up, he put all the money he would have spent on fags into a jar and bought himself some fancy alloy wheels for his car(something he had been hankering after for a long time).
Having the savings visible was a huge motivator for him...and with his continued savings he bought me my first car.

You are right not to be smug. it is only a msall step from being a non smoker to lighting up a fag.
Himself says that there have been many times he has been tempted to lapse.

Less 20-02-2017 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busman747 (Post 1188011)
Can I give a little of my history for anyone that is interested or keen to pack in the weed? I had been a heavy smoker for over 40 years. At my peak I was getting through up to 70 ciggies a day:mad: At my best, I was down to a mere 30 a day.
Around the late 90's I gave up by using patches. This worked for three months until one night I convinced myself I was a "non-smoker" and promptly bought a pack of 10 and lit one. No logic and I threw 9 of them out of the car window in disgust - - only to stop at the next tobacconist :o

A few months later, tried again with patches only to find that my skin was now showing a bad reaction to plasters or plastic BUT I KNEW THAT NON-SMOKING WAS ACHIEVABLE!!
Time after time, I kept trying using all the new innovations as they came on the market. I finally achieved my goal using pastilles (way over maximum dosage) but my stomach was reacting badly to them (diarrhea and flatulence) I moved on to mini tablets and then those small squares of gel that dissolve in the mouth. (Difficult when driving to get them out of their packaging)
Finally, Nicorette brought out a mouth spray which is perfect but expensive (On promotion at Asda's at the moment for £12-00)
After 9 years of non-smoking, I am still addicted to nicotine but no longer associate nicotine with cigarettes :D

I am not smug, it was extremely hard to stop but I am proud of my achievement.
My advice to Less and all those others that want to stop is;
A) After being unsuccessful, try again soon afterwards AND---
B) Make use of all the methods now on the supermarket shelves.
:)
Good luck.

You are one of the most smuglest people I have ever met, however I am back on fags, I am comfortable being back on fags, I hate not being on fags, the biggest mistake I have made recently was to consider giving up fags.

Life is back to normal, if, when, I'm dumped in a home like MargaretR I'm told to give up I'll act like a schoolchild and find a bike shed or it's modern day equivalent, and smoke away to the disgust of those that claim they know better.

Excuse me now, I'm off for my freedom of choice, a fag.

Accyexplorer 20-02-2017 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1187935)
:signthis:

The topic may be a bit of a dull stub Less,but at least it provided for the opening of the comments....which have turned out to be slightly more interesting :D

DaveinGermany 19-03-2017 18:09

Looks like "Nanny" is stepping up its' purge on the faggerists again!

Smoking law and cigarette ban to change in May | UK | News | Express.co.uk

Although "Nanny" is applying swingeing measures on the goodly folk of UK, (and at the same time conveniently lining their pockets) the master puppeteers pulling the strings are .....

European Commission - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - Commission calls for Smoke Free Europe by 2012

Margaret Pilkington 19-03-2017 18:30

Well now, what a surprise.

Chris Cross 13-07-2017 09:51

I lost count how many times I'd quit cigs. Longest was 3 years but caved in at mums funeral, its a bast'*d addiction. Switched to vaping 3 years ago, not ideal but comfortable with it. Worth doing if only to stop the house/car/clothes/me smelling like an ashtray. :))