Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Anything Goes (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f71/)
-   -   Banned from hyndburn chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f71/banned-from-hyndburn-chat-69792.html)

Restless 18-01-2018 17:10

Banned from hyndburn chat

If you use facebook quite a bit check out the group Hyndburn Chatters - it is a very good group

Don't bother with Hyndburn Chat - Unreasonable BADMINS (apart from neil) as I was banned for simply questioning whether a guy should've been banned for posting a harmless joke - The admin that banned me is here im sure - just to say to you - your an idiot, banning with no warning!! do you actually have any clue?

Margaret Pilkington 18-01-2018 18:04

Re: Banned from hyndburn chat

is Hyndburn Chat the forum that you have to be invited to join...the one which many accywebbers migrated to?

Not that it matters much to me as I cannot access it as I do not use FB...

Rob, it is THEIR loss!

Restless 18-01-2018 18:24

hyndburn cat was set up by garinda and di - was banned this morning

Margaret Pilkington 18-01-2018 20:28

As I said Rob..Their loss.

MargaretR 18-01-2018 21:23

I have never asked to join because I know I would be refused - there was a remark I made here which Garinda misunderstood - he threatened to 'set his mother on me' - this occurred just before he set up his 'exclusive' facebook page.

There is a facebook group for people who have been 'thrown out' so it seems Gary's lot are easily offended

Bob Dobson 19-01-2018 11:42

I enjoy Hyndburn Chat. I do feel that people ought to be told why their posting has been deleted. I've been told that the admins have not got time to do it. Garinda is not the only admin now.

Margaret Pilkington 19-01-2018 14:54

If the admins do not have time to do it then either there should be more of them or people should not be banned until they HAVE got time to explain why a ban was applied.
Seems just a bit high handed.

Restless 19-01-2018 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1207450)
I enjoy Hyndburn Chat. I do feel that people ought to be told why their posting has been deleted. I've been told that the admins have not got time to do it. Garinda is not the only admin now.

I was too. I don't think garinda banned me... probably frank. If so a lot of respect built up over the years of posts has been lost with a simple petty motion

Neil 19-01-2018 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1207465)
If the admins do not have time to do it then either there should be more of them or people should not be banned until they HAVE got time to explain why a ban was applied.
Seems just a bit high handed.

When you've had abuse from people when you do explain it soon becomes easier not to bother explaining.

There are not many rules on Hyndburn Chat. Most people get pushed out for swearing, being abusive to others, spamming with business type adverts, moaning about things admin have done. I suppose a lot like in here. There are over 12,000 members on Hyndburn chat and it's growing very quickly. Chatters have just over 2000 members so they won't have as many issues as Chat does because it's much quieter in there.

Facebook is a very poor media for a forum, the search isn't very good, you can't separate topics and from an admin point of view you can't undelete posts, you can't edit posts to remove something that shouldn't have been posted like we can on here so often things do just get deleted.

What Facebook does do better than forums is push information to users, on a forum you have to go looking for it in all the different forums you might be in, Facebook is all in one place.

Neil 19-01-2018 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1207426)
I have never asked to join because I know I would be refused - there was a remark I made here which Garinda misunderstood - he threatened to 'set his mother on me' - this occurred just before he set up his 'exclusive' facebook page.

There is a facebook group for people who have been 'thrown out' so it seems Gary's lot are easily offended

I don't see why you would not be let in, click join and find out

Neil 19-01-2018 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1207417)
is Hyndburn Chat the forum that you have to be invited to join...the one which many accywebbers migrated to?

Not that it matters much to me as I cannot access it as I do not use FB...

Rob, it is THEIR loss!

It depends on how a Facebook group has been set up. Some you join and are a member straight away, others the admins have to approve you. WIth Hyndburn Chat when you click join one of the 7 admins will let you in if you look genuine. All of the admins used to be or are still members of AccyWeb, some of them still lurk even if they don't post.

Most of the decisions by the admin team are done as a team unless no other admin is about and something needs dealing with straight away like swearing.

I see a lot of posts where people assume it was one admin or another that removed them, it's quite rare they guess correctly and it is often discussed before someone is removed. Like any group of people, the admins don't always agree with an action but majority rules. It used to be the same on here when the forum was a lot busier. I can't remember the last time someone was banned from here that wasn't a spammer. I made a setting change so new members first posts have to be accepted by admin/moderator before it appears on the forum. That's why we haven't had spam for some time on here.

I've waffled enough and I'm missing my film, trying not to call them movies :D

Retlaw 19-01-2018 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1207426)

Its not all that bad Margaret, some people say things in haste, and then regret it, some say things deliberatly so they can swank they've been banned from Hyndburn Chat, Dobbo an me slag each other tu death, but the admins know we've been doing that since the 1960's, but we don't use foul language like some try on. I enjoy my self on there with local history, and WW1 stuff. By the way Gary's all right, he's a grand bloke, met him a few times.

Restless 19-01-2018 23:17

although hat neil says is true my banning was total bull****.

Margaret Pilkington 20-01-2018 09:03

Neil, I fully appreciate that being an administrator/moderator on a forum is not an easy job...therefore not for the faint hearted.
However, that said, I think it can be done with a fairer outlook.
If I had done something wrong I would like to be informed so that I could change my ways.
Those who get abusive when they are told why they have been banned should be cast out permanently.
No one who is doing a job as a volunteer, for the benefit of everyone, should have to be subjected to abuse.

RainbowSix 20-01-2018 10:36

Unfortunately, even when you try to be fair, try to stick to the rules there are always those that want to disrespect the admins position and poop all over the rules, will not accept what they have been told to do by the people running the forum.

cashman 20-01-2018 10:56

I have no idea why restless was banned from Hyndburn Chat,:confused: all i know is he has never been obnoxious on here. I was not aware All the admin on yon were all members on here, even if some dont post any more,if thats the case they should know what kinda chap he is to some degree? more so if they speak to each other before taking action. it seems very poor to me he was not informed what he had done.:(

Neil 20-01-2018 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1207531)
I have no idea why restless was banned from Hyndburn Chat,:confused: all i know is he has never been obnoxious on here. I was not aware All the admin on yon were all members on here, even if some dont post any more,if thats the case they should know what kinda chap he is to some degree? more so if they speak to each other before taking action. it seems very poor to me he was not informed what he had done.:(

With people having made up usernames on here and most people using real names on Facebook as per the Facebook rules it's not always easy to know who is who. I didn't know who is was until now.

cashman 20-01-2018 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1207532)
With people having made up usernames on here and most people using real names on Facebook as per the Facebook rules it's not always easy to know who is who. I didn't know who is was until now.

Can understand that neil, cannot understand why he wasn't informed why?

Retlaw 20-01-2018 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1207515)
Neil, I fully appreciate that being an administrator/moderator on a forum is not an easy job...therefore not for the faint hearted.
However, that said, I think it can be done with a fairer outlook.
If I had done something wrong I would like to be informed so that I could change my ways.
Those who get abusive when they are told why they have been banned should be cast out permanently.
No one who is doing a job as a volunteer, for the benefit of everyone, should have to be subjected to abuse.

Margaret, its not always a slam dunk ban, when a thread starts to veer of course, and people start to get nasty, a post of the rules is inserted in the thread, by the admin, if that is ignored then the thread is either closed or deleted, and the offender banned, what else can the admin do, when the perpetrators have been warned. We definitely don't need some of the nasty senseless abuse, like the grand wizard seemed to enjoy dishing out, this web site is now over 75% bluudy Acc Stanley, there only seems to be about 10 regular posters about topics of interest left on here.

Margaret Pilkington 20-01-2018 13:42

It is simple...you tell them they are banned for a stated rule infringement and then you tell them that you will not enter into any discussion regarding this.
They cannot post, and you do not have to respond to their e-mails...or PM's or whatever the dialogue process of this forum is.
I cannot see what is either difficult or time consuming about this.
Yes, it IS time consuming, frustrating and could be difficult if you respond to their e-mails...but just because someone throws you a ball, you do not have to catch it.

Margaret Pilkington 20-01-2018 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1207531)

It looks on the face of it, like he has been black balled for questioning the judgement of a God...(yes I know I could have changed it, but I thought I would leave it in because it is funny)sorry, that should read Mod(blooming predictive text)...but it seems that only the admin group are allowed to know for sure.

hilleluk 20-01-2018 15:45

The town I live in has a facebook page, people on there are always falling out over comments that have been posted, then banned, I would'nt join to save my life, no I would join to save my life, then never use it again.
They may not be too many people posting on general matters on AccyWeb during the football season, but what is there is usually something worth replying too.

Retlaw 20-01-2018 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilleluk (Post 1207548)
The town I live in has a facebook page, people on there are always falling out over comments that have been posted, then banned, I would'nt join to save my life, no I would join to save my life, then never use it again.
They may not be too many people posting on general matters on AccyWeb during the football season, but what is there is usually something worth replying too.

Yer Right about some Hilleluk, but them pig bladder kickers hve there own web site,why do they have to pollute all the other sites as well.

Margaret, that god mistake was never truer, should a bin in 12ft high letters ha ha ha

Margaret Pilkington 20-01-2018 16:48

It was predictive text...And I left it as I thought it might raise a smile

cashman 20-01-2018 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1207557)
Yer Right about some Hilleluk, but them pig bladder kickers hve there own web site,why do they have to pollute all the other sites as well

Perhaps cos they got other interests as well? i have for one.:rolleyes:

Restless 20-01-2018 20:21

Yeah here mostly we have made up names... but Gary and Dianne know who I am... or should do at least.

Thanks cashy I do appreciate that

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Restless 21-01-2018 07:03

Another one banned - didnt know what he did wrong and never got a warning...

but this one is better - talking to a friend and she said she was banned FOR LIKING A COMMENT.

But yet neil(hes an admin btw) its ok for you to say "we need more taxi drivers" so they can beat up kids... come on.... so pathetic

Restless 21-01-2018 07:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1207497)
Gary's all right, he's a grand bloke, met him a few times.

I have tried! He does seem nice most of the time - but now i believe that he formed the facebook group because he couldn't throw his weight around on here.

I understand all that neil said and agree with a lot of it as per size of the facebook group - the nature of it. But as for "can't question admin" being a rule - that is a total joke - not when people are being banned for liking comments

I didn't agree with garinda back then and don't agree now - is kestrelX banned here? no he isn't. is garinda posting here? no- he took his ball to facebook and made his own game. Fair do's i have decided I am happy now not to be a part of his group - the only thing I will miss are the old photos he posted - its the only good thing he does on the group

Neil 21-01-2018 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1207592)
I have tried! He does seem nice most of the time - but now i believe that he formed the facebook group because he couldn't throw his weight around on here.....

That wasn't the reason, it was quite opposite.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1207592)
....But as for "can't question admin" being a rule - that is a total joke - not when people are being banned for liking comments.....

Have you read the rules on this forum? Here are a few of them and they haven't been changed much for years.

Quote:

3. Abusing other members of this website is not allowed. Debates are welcome but must not become personal or target another member.

4. Posts that are just insulting or nasty are not allowed on this website.

10. No nudity or swearing is allowed on this website unless in a specific forum limited to people over the age of 18. The forum moderators will decide what is considered to be swearing.

17. No "adult" jokes or unsuitable links to be left anywhere on the forum, except in the over 18's section.

21. If you are sent a PM by a moderator please consider it a private matter Do Not post anything about it or the moderators in the forum.

22. If you have a complaint about one of the moderator s please use the PM system do NOT post about it on site.

Very similar to the way Hyndburn Chat is run.

hilleluk 21-01-2018 16:02

Are these rules the same as the AccyWeb forum?

Neil 21-01-2018 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilleluk (Post 1207612)
Are these rules the same as the AccyWeb forum?

The rules I posted are AccyWeb rules, there is a link in my signature to them.

hilleluk 21-01-2018 16:15

Didn't realise that...posting and watching the football at the same time...not good

Restless 21-01-2018 18:35

Never once did say I was correct - just the way myself (and others) believed to be true

Restless 21-01-2018 18:36

Placate all you want - doesn't change the fact my banning was bullpoop

Neil 22-01-2018 05:30

There are a few local Facebook groups beside Hyndburn Chat. A few of them were created by people who were removed from Hyndburn Chat for one thing or another and they have all but vanished. A couple of them have grown to 2000+ members. One, in particular, is where those removed from Hyndburn Chat often join. If I have doubts about the moderation in Hyndburn Chat I go and have a read through this particular group. They have many threads just moaning about people being removed from Chat, the nastiness towards Chat admins soon comes out and I'm reminded we really don't want those people so we did the right thing.

I almost feel sorry for the creator of that group, she made a big thing about it wouldn't be like Chat and people wouldn't be removed for their comments. A few months ago the anti-Hyndburn Chat comments were taking over that group so she said there would be no more posts about it. Her insistence that people wouldn't be banned has put her in the position where she can't keep order and they have ignored her and continue with their silly nastiness. It's a shame because the vast majority in the group are good folk just wanting to talk about where they live.

The same would and has happened in here. People are removed for nasty comments towards others, swearing, repeated trolling, spamming etc.

cashman 22-01-2018 08:15

Nobody on here to my knowledge is bitching about the reasons for removal!! the issue to me is giving people a reason for removal. yeh can go around the houses all yeh want, but telling someone seems pretty straight forward to me.:confused:

Michael1954 22-01-2018 10:21

At one time or another we all make typos when typing. However, it's difficult to see how an N can be typed instead of an L because the letters are not side by side on a keyboard. And the relevance to this thread? Someone knows.

Retlaw 22-01-2018 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1954 (Post 1207646)
At one time or another we all make typos when typing. However, it's difficult to see how an N can be typed instead of an L because the letters are not side by side on a keyboard. And the relevance to this thread? Someone knows.

Michael, its not diffcult at all to hit the wrong key, I've been bashin these keys for over 35 years and I still cant type, I have to watch my firts two fingers all the time, and I still keep hitting wrong keys, my daughters amaze me when I watch them typin whilst reading from notes, I must be a keyboard dyslexic, I have to keep mumbling what I want to type. an my flamin great fingers can hit 4 keys at once.
and these dammed things give me night mares :::;;;''',,,""", I call em
twiddly bits

Restless 22-01-2018 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1207650)
Michael, its not diffcult at all to hit the wrong key, I've been bashin these keys for over 35 years and I still cant type, I have to watch my firts two fingers all the time, and I still keep hitting wrong keys, my daughters amaze me when I watch them typin whilst reading from notes, I must be a keyboard dyslexic, I have to keep mumbling what I want to type. an my flamin great fingers can hit 4 keys at once.
and these dammed things give me night mares :::;;;''',,,""", I call em
twiddly bits

But how do you automatically hit the formatting buttons every post :D

Restless 22-01-2018 15:51

Was told today it probably wasn't frank or any of the group creators that banned me. So quite frankly hyndburn chat has an admin that is a badmin. Needs addressing or bans should be approved temporarily disabling the person to post. Although i agree with what you say i find it irrelevant Defending their actions as a badmin makes you as bad as them.

Nobody should be banned without a warning unless content was really negative and severe. Especially one should not be banned for simply questioning the harshness of a ban - then not warned. Again. If you agree with the banning your as bad as them. That's the way i see it anyway

cashman 22-01-2018 18:13

I had no idea what the reason for the ban was, if the reason you give is correct, then thats what i call "Petty" and "Pathetic"

Restless 22-01-2018 21:26

It was like this.....

John Doe posts a new post to hyndburn chat

Quote:

I have taken up exercise this year and to help with that I bought a fitbit - must be helping as it states I have wanked 5 miles already
A few comments that consisted of light humour followed and I found a few mins later that the post was removed and I found John Doe was banned

So I thought thats a bit drastic and posted

Quote:

Surely John Doe could've stayed?
within a couple of minutes I was banned

Michael1954 22-01-2018 21:57

You have failed to mention that you also repeated this "typo". I have seen the screenshot that was posted on the rival Hyndburn Chatters page.

Restless 22-01-2018 22:50

My comment was “check back in when you have wanked 100 miles”

Like I said - comments of light humor followed. Didn’t have time for every detail!

Anyways Neil has resolved this issue for me......

Michael1954 22-01-2018 22:59

Back on Chat? Problem solved!

Restless 23-01-2018 21:18

Indeed :)

MoreJoe 24-01-2018 01:02

Groucho Marx once said it best:

"I would never be a member of any club that would accept ME as a member".

Retlaw 24-01-2018 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1207655)
But how do you automatically hit the formatting buttons every post :D

Formating buttons, eh, aint geet any o them, this keyboard is nearly as old as you, it was specially made when WorsStar was the word processor of the day, it a heck of a lot bigger than modern keyboards, and I look after it, the keys are covered with cling film to protect it from dust and other stuff.
When I am doing my WW1 stuff I'm on another computer, the OS of which is DOS 6, no time wasting mousies, keys only. I know what your thinking before you say it, but there are 1000's like me across the world who still use it, and think its far superior to any of Gill Bates crap, and most of them are film script writers, and authors in the best seller lists as well, the WordStar group have their own web site.

Restless 25-01-2018 06:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1207751)
Formating buttons, eh, aint geet any o them, this keyboard is nearly as old as you, it was specially made when WorsStar was the word processor of the day, it a heck of a lot bigger than modern keyboards, and I look after it, the keys are covered with cling film to protect it from dust and other stuff.
When I am doing my WW1 stuff I'm on another computer, the OS of which is DOS 6, no time wasting mousies, keys only. I know what your thinking before you say it, but there are 1000's like me across the world who still use it, and think its far superior to any of Gill Bates crap, and most of them are film script writers, and authors in the best seller lists as well, the WordStar group have their own web site.

I think I meant formatting options :D

Restless 25-01-2018 07:01

Are you telling me yours doesnt light up when you listen to ella fitzgerald ? :D

Well anyway.... that is pretty cool - ultimately better than using windowsXP....hell i have 2 spectrums here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOQh20DQozI

Margaret Pilkington 25-01-2018 09:33

Wow Rob!
I like that...I really like it.

Retlaw 25-01-2018 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1207758)
Are you telling me yours doesnt light up when you listen to ella fitzgerald ? :D

Well anyway.... that is pretty cool - ultimately better than using windowsXP....hell i have 2 spectrums here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOQh20DQozI

Sorry Restless me owd chucky buttie, bud id ony ez two red lights caps lock an scroll lock, and as for yon Ell wotsit, never heard of her, we don't have a radio in our house, an I definitely don't listen to garglers, in fact I don't think there's been any decent music written since Rackmarinove an Rymsky Corsets off died, an tele gets muted if any o them cat gut twangers, an tin can bangers come on, just tu see which on em can make the most noise, I do occasionally like a bit of Mantovani, and some times Johan Sebastius, or yon Sebeylius fella, Now Mozart he could write music, Magic Flute, flight of the Bumble Bee. James Galway playing, nowt better.

Neil 25-01-2018 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1207751)
When I am doing my WW1 stuff I'm on another computer, the OS of which is DOS 6, no time wasting mousies, keys only. I know what your thinking before you say it, but there are 1000's like me across the world who still use it, and think its far superior to any of Gill Bates crap.....

I always thought MS-DOS was Microsoft which is Bill Gates unless you are using one of the other DOS 6 clones

Restless 25-01-2018 14:12

I thought I'd choose something you might've heard.... next time I'll do it to nine inch nails for you haha

Restless 25-01-2018 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1207783)
I always thought MS-DOS was Microsoft which is Bill Gates unless you are using one of the other DOS 6 clones

For the most part it was

Neil 25-01-2018 14:38

I couldn't imagine using a DOS box now for my everyday computing. I've 3 monitors, 2 landscape and one portrait. I've 2 browsers open and shed loads of tabs. Spotify, WhatsApp, a programming tool, sniping tool and some other stuff.

DOS belongs in the past but we actually have 5 DOS computers at work controlling production equipment and they were only installed new on new equipment about 2007

Retlaw 25-01-2018 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1207783)

I never mentioned MS, there were many others including DR DOS 6

Retlaw 25-01-2018 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1207786)
I couldn't imagine using a DOS box now for my everyday computing. I've 3 monitors, 2 landscape and one portrait. I've 2 browsers open and shed loads of tabs. Spotify, WhatsApp, a programming tool, sniping tool and some other stuff.

DOS belongs in the past but we actually have 5 DOS computers at work controlling production equipment and they were only installed new on new equipment about 2007

So if they are doing their job controlling the machines why change.
Every time gill bates breaks wind, every body rushes out his latest crap

Restless 25-01-2018 16:09

As PC gamer unfortunately have to use his operating system - linux is in no way shape or form suitable for gaming

Quite interesting actually is the dos6 i dont know much about it

Gremlin 25-01-2018 16:11

I had a PC I assembled myself which ran TRS-DOS.
The O/S was on a 5.25 floppy disk and program on another.
I wrote a small program to teach children arithmetic on it around 1980.
Eventually converting it to run a two metre radio packet system.
Nowadays I’m happy to leave the technical stuff to the professionals and be content using my Mac or Toshiba windows PC,s.

Barrie Yates 25-01-2018 17:16

Did my first computer course in '67 - we used Machine Code and storage was on paper tape or a Magnetic Drum (about the size of a galvanised dustbin). The system had 3 computers running in parallel, one in control, one running test programmes and the third was standby for either of the other two - I have had a deep and sincere hatred of computers ever since.

Neil 25-01-2018 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1207789)
So if they are doing their job controlling the machines why change.
Every time gill bates breaks wind, every body rushes out his latest crap

Because the hardware is no longer available to repair the old junk

Restless 26-01-2018 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1207786)

One 1440p 144hz monitor for gaming, one 1080p for other stuff and an iPad pro... Just got a great desk last week https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1427653b95.jpg

Neil 26-01-2018 14:13

I'm not posting a picture of mine, someone would only ask why I need 15 radios

cashman 26-01-2018 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1207826)
I'm not posting a picture of mine, someone would only ask why I need 15 radios

Well now we know yeh have, Why have yeh??:D

Restless 26-01-2018 15:32

You might as well post a pic now - and then tell us why

Gremlin 26-01-2018 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1207796)
Did my first computer course in '67 - we used Machine Code and storage was on paper tape or a Magnetic Drum (about the size of a galvanised dustbin). The system had 3 computers running in parallel, one in control, one running test programmes and the third was standby for either of the other two - I have had a deep and sincere hatred of computers ever since.

That reminds of when I started out as an apprentice enginner in 1955. We did a lot of work in the cotton industry and some looms were programmed to make patterned cloth with big tapes with holes in to control the different coloured shuttles. It's too far back to remember every detail but I seem to remember the make was Dobby.

Margaret Pilkington 26-01-2018 18:27

Russell was it not Jacquard?
I worked in the weaving shed of David Whiteheads in Rawtenstall....and what you describe are the jacquard patterns.
Twills and dobbys were very plain.
I worked at Moscow Mill too...this was mainly twills and dobbys and they were Lancashire looms...I had been used to Northrop automatics and this was a big shock to my system.
You could start on Lancashire looms and then transition to automatics, but doing it the other way around was (well, for me) very hard.
This was before I qualified as a nurse...in the mid sixties.

Gremlin 26-01-2018 18:35

You might be right Margaret. Jacquard does ring a bell.
Jeremiah Jackson where I worked were general textile engineers and we made machines for the textile industry as well as going out to factories to repair or refurbish machinery.
I do vividly remember the big card with holes to make the pattern and a tackler changing them every so often.
Later looms used air or even water to blow the weft across and did away with shuttles.
We are showing our age now MARGARET.

cashman 26-01-2018 18:55

I thought also it was Jacquard, but my memorys rubbish so kept me gob shut, sure they had some of those at Enfield Mill when i worked yon in late 60s. for you young uns the mill is now Ossy Mills / Bubble factory.

Margaret Pilkington 26-01-2018 19:23

I worked on a shuttle-less loom, it was called a sulzer machine...and used a rapier to draw the thread across the warp.

I was seconded to the research and development unit...I really enjoyed this work...then the place shut up shop and moved lock stock and barrel to South Africa...that was when I got a job at Moscow mill...no it was Enfield Mill not Moscow Mill.
They made the table cloths and table napkins for Buckingham Palace, but only the best weavers were allowed to work on these orders...and I definitely was not one of those.
I hated the Lancashire looms.

Retlaw 26-01-2018 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1207819)
One 1440p 144hz monitor for gaming, one 1080p for other stuff and an iPad pro... Just got a great desk last week https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1427653b95.jpg

Flamin Eck no wonder tha calls thi sen restless, who makes thi jam butties, is id a robot, tha should ev a matress on floor under thi desk, then tha con play with them pedals as tha falls asleep. Ha Ha He

Barrie Yates 26-01-2018 23:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1207829)
That reminds of when I started out as an apprentice enginner in 1955. We did a lot of work in the cotton industry and some looms were programmed to make patterned cloth with big tapes with holes in to control the different coloured shuttles. It's too far back to remember every detail but I seem to remember the make was Dobby.

I started my apprenticeship in Jan '56 at Prestige, Burnley. I remember that Sales/Finance had a "computer" of sorts that used individual punched paper cards about the size of a postcard - Hollerith was the manufacturer. If they had a problem they had to call in the company technicians, none of the electrical dept. ever worked on it.

RainbowSix 27-01-2018 21:42

OMG!
Retlaw posted in normal type :)

Retlaw 28-01-2018 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowSix (Post 1207884)
OMG!
Retlaw posted in normal type :)

Sarky buuggur, I ed to do cuz sumats appened an a can't diddle, wit font ur owt an hardly read this crap, ids nod clear enuff. I've a dammed good idea wods caused id