Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Dutton Street (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/dutton-street-19092.html)

Alan Gilmartin 19-01-2006 21:28

Dutton Street

Would it be possible, for somebody to show a photo looking up or down Dutton street, showing old Blue Dahlia.

junetta 19-01-2006 22:05

Re: Dutton Street

I'm sorry that I can't help with a pic but I remember spending most of my spare time there when I was around sixteen. Am i right in saying that there were underground toilets outside? There was another coffee bar that I used to go in. The name Olympus comes to mind, but, again, I could be wrong! I hope someone finds a pic as I'd love to see it too!

Wynonie Harris 20-01-2006 22:05

Spent a large part of my youth in the Dahlia in the 60's. A classic coffee bar with a fantastic jukebox. There were toilets in Dutton Street but these were long gone by the time the Dahlia was in its prime. If they'd still been around, there would have been no room for anyone to park their scooters! The premises are now the Blue Lagoon amusement arcade. Sacrilege!

The Olympus was in Union Street, opposite the side entrance of Woolworths and was still there up to quite recently. It was always more of a rocker hang-out.

steeljack 20-01-2006 22:22

re Blue Dahlia , haven't thought of that place in nearly 40 years , the place for Accy mods to hang out , Lambrettas and Vespas parked outside , think the was the place run by Italians or Maltese , it was the place to meet before Con on Monday nights, What was the pub around the corner , the Derby ?

Wynonie Harris 20-01-2006 22:40

Couldn't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure that Chris, the owner, was Greek. The Derby's still there, but unrecognisable inside.

junetta 20-01-2006 22:47

I so remember Accy Con. All the girlies dancing in the middle whilst the blokes wandered around the edge of the dance floor. Then we sort of progressed to the Jazz Club. I loved that place.
When I was around sixteen or seventeen the Tamla era, Blackburn Mecca on Monday replaced Accy Con. Burnley Mecca for Saturday and Sunday nights.
What was the name of the pub just past the arcade? A Friday night haunt.

Alan Gilmartin 24-01-2006 07:27

Well Junetta, you mention all the places, certain nights, we used to go, what about Accy cavern?. You must have caught the bus from Melbourne St, to Burnley, and have a couple of drinks in the Keirby. It was always the Adelphi in Blackburn before the Mecca. Anything eles you remember. love the memories.

WillowTheWhisp 24-01-2006 07:32

Were you wanting an old photo Alan? One showing how it used to be when the Blue Dahlia was there? I remember that, used to go in there. I can just about remember when the underground toilets used to be in Dutton St too.

Alan Gilmartin 24-01-2006 21:26

I would appreciate anything willow, as you know any views of Accy or Clayton mean a lot to me. I can remember the toilets as well and Burtons on the corner.

WillowTheWhisp 24-01-2006 23:02

I'll try to remember to take one or two next time I go to town. :)

junetta 24-01-2006 23:03

Hello Alan...........I do remember waiting for the Burnley bus on Melbourne Street. I used to work in the Social Office just behind. My part time job was serving behind the bar at Burnley Mecca. The boss man used to check that our nails were clean before we went to work!
It was a good time as we managed to earn a bit and then got an hour or so to dance before we picked up our free taxi home!
My best mate was called Marilyn.........we had such fun and saved enough to have a two week holiday in Torquay!

WillowTheWhisp 24-01-2006 23:07

Do you remember the coach trips that left Melbourne Street on the other side of Water Street in the summer? We used to get the bus from there to Blackpool too. And across the road was "The Old House at Home".

steeljack 24-01-2006 23:42

we seem to be on a nostalgia thread going so I'll throw this in ......do any other members have memories of "grab a granny night" at Blackburn Mecca ,think it was Tuesday nights when they had the over 21 dance , young lads 17 or 18 yrs old going out and looking for the "sophisticated" older woman .

Alan Gilmartin 25-01-2006 20:31

I went once to a grab a granny night, must have been about 19 at the time, picked up this girl, she was probably 25 or more, she gave me the impresion I was on a good thing, said she would let me walk her home, when I went to meet her outside the cloakroom, she had done a bunk, but left me with the biggest love bite you have ever seen. Put a big dent in my ego, not to mention my workmates having a go.

WillowTheWhisp 26-01-2006 16:23

6 Attachment(s)
I was in town yesterday and went round by Dutton Street purposely intnding to take some photos, only to discover that there was no memory card in my camera! I'd taken it out to download to PC and forgot to put it back.

I was so miffed at myself that I went again today! This time with a memory card! I also ended up buying 8 golden baskets (don't ask). Anyway here we have a few views of Dutton St plus the pub whch was once the Derby, then the BeesKnees (complete with giant bee with flashing knees) then the Derby again and now the BeesKnees again.