Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Coppice torn assunder? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/coppice-torn-assunder-19881.html)

Terry 28-02-2006 11:43

Coppice torn assunder?

2 Attachment(s)
In 1988 during a brief visit to Accy, I took my wife for a walk across the top of the coppy with the intention of showing her the old brickwork quarries where I used to fish and make it to 'Hapton Scouts' then down past an old firing range and back to Accy. Imagine my surprise when I came across this. I can't really describe my reaction but it wasn't nice. Needless to say, I didn't get to Hapton Scouts. I was told later there was an underpass somewhere. I was trying to post these in a different thread but I didn't see any facility for doing so. Sorry about that

Neil 28-02-2006 15:24

Re: Coppice torn assunder?

I know it is a great road isn't it? Really cuts down the time it takes to get to the M66.

Tealeaf 28-02-2006 15:57

Yeah, its a great road...but not for much longer. It will soon be choc-a-block with 10,000 lorries a day coming in to dump their loads at the Huncoat recycling plant.....tailbacks both ways, all the way to Manchester.

BLACKBURN RAVER 28-02-2006 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Yeah, its a great road...but not for much longer. It will soon be choc-a-block with 10,000 lorries a day coming in to dump their loads at the Huncoat recycling plant.....tailbacks both ways, all the way to Manchester.

bit like that already ;)

garinda 28-02-2006 16:32

The noise of the increased traffic may put off the doggers.

BLACKBURN RAVER 28-02-2006 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda
The noise of the increased traffic may put off the doggers.

NOPE it wont put me off :D ;) :rolleyes:

Madhatter 28-02-2006 21:05

Or me, it's a great road so it is, makes my life a lot easier also i get to see the views. I understand how you feel though, and makes me wonder if it couldn't have been hidden a bit better. The government of course say it costs too much before going on and wasting tens of thousands on god knows what cos we'll never find out. IF your getting a recycling plant, you should be pleased, most are getting incinerators. I'd have no eyed deer where the underpass wood bee, I've never been there(yet).

WillowTheWhisp 28-02-2006 22:33

I remember when that road was being constructed. I also remember when I was very young fearing that the Coppice would eventually disappear if the brickworks kept trundling bucketfuls of it down to Huncoat, across Burnley Road.

The road is very useful but it did chop through what was my childhood playground too, and to think we're kicking up a fuss now about the prospect of a Panopticon.

What did you think of those infernal trees gracing the front slopes? It's the Coppice Terry, but not as we knew it.

garinda 28-02-2006 22:45

Is there an underpass for people to walk from the Coppice on towards Hambledon?

I've never seen it.

Madhatter 01-03-2006 00:40

What are those trees willow, are they fir trees?, they look like connifers. Unless somethings done theyre going to ruin your coppice. It's bad enough now, its looks a mess on those pics in the gallery, looks like a badly defaced and broken monuments and a broken down shelter on a hilltop that looks scruffy and where the what could be fantastic views are getting blocked by fir trees. There, I've said it and sorry if I offend you cos thats the last thing I want to do but you need to know what it looks like from an outsiders point of view. Don't shoot the messenger, shoot your local politicians. At least if panoptican goes on there it may get tidied up and the area given the care it desserves

garinda 01-03-2006 00:45

Coppice- n. an area of small trees and undergrowth.

As far as I know the views aren't spoiled at all from the top.

Madhatter 01-03-2006 00:51

bit like our birch coppice, its an industrial estate now after being the birch coppice pit for years.
I'm all for trees, but if they are all round the top so that your in a clearing completely enclosed with no view, which looking at the pics I've seen will happen, then I don't agree with it. I'm only going off your pics though remember, I've never been.

Terry 01-03-2006 05:12

Well I suppose it is a great road for the motorist. It was just a shock that's all. As for the trees Willow. 18 years ago they were all pretty small or I should say shrub sizes and looked to be mostly conifers. Even so it all looked pretty weird. Whilst I am here If anyone is interested in a most magnificent panoramic view (taken from somewhere. Perthaps halfway down the side of the Coppy. No trees in the way except at the very bottom) of Accy circa 2002/3 from Water st. to St. Johns and from peel Park school to Oswaldtwistle. Try and get hold of a back copy of "Steam Railway" May 23/June 19th, 2003. No 284. The centrefold(as big as 2 A4's) is totally breathtaking in its fine detail. The viaduct is there in all its glory with a steam train on it going to Burnley. Stretching from Whalley Rd back to the station. This picture is obviously copyright. and I can't post it. It's too big anyway. This is the best picture of Accy I have ever come across. If any of you manage to get hold of a back copy of this magazine, I promise you that you will not be disapointed. Believe me if you live in this area you can find your own house:D

Terry 01-03-2006 06:36

re-underpass. I had these pics developed whilst in Accy. My friend said that the underpass was in the second pic at the end of the path past my wife and where the chap is coming from. It leads to an underpass( not for humans but for sheep) but I guess anyone could use it lol

Terry 01-03-2006 08:45

To make your task easier to obtain this magazine it will cost you 3 pound 60p. Write to Steam Railway,
Mercury International,
Amscan Building, Brudenell Drive,
Milton Keynes, MK10 ODA
Ph 08451214000
This mag was published before Accy Web started. Get the mag for the best pic you have ever seen of Accy:D enjoy!