Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   OWL HALL and ACCRINGTON HOUSE (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/owl-hall-and-accrington-house-3300.html)

WillowTheWhisp 02-10-2004 15:20

Re: OWL HALL and ACCRINGTON HOUSE

As far as I recall The Four Pennies were Lionel Morton, Fritz Fryer, Mike Wilsher and Alan Buck. I had no idea any of them lived in Accy now.

Atarah 04-10-2004 00:43

Arden Hall.

Just looking again at the photo of Arden Hall - this is where Benjamin Hargreaves lived. He was a well respected member of the Hargreaves family from Broad Oak and he is commemorated in the Benjamin Hargreaves Memorial School. He had the house built c1846 and it was demolished 1948. He was a dog lover by all accounts, and many of them were buried in the grounds of the house - some names were Daphne, Louis, Rino, Our Loo, Loo-loo, Bianco and Motty. Arrgh!

Acrylic-bob 04-10-2004 06:56

Funny name for a dog, "arrgh", why did he call it that I wonder?

kestrelx 08-10-2004 14:52

I think this guy Anthony was in them before they made it big, he had the chance to stay with them but left coz he didn't want fame,also he loved Falconry,well that is the story at least!

kestrelx 08-10-2004 14:53

By the way anyone know why they knocked Ardenhall House down?100 years ain't much for a house to stay up,maybe it had structural faults or some'at?

WillowTheWhisp 08-10-2004 23:07

I don't understand the falconry connection - I mean why it prevented him from being in the group (unless it meant he didn't have enough time)

It doesn't seem very long for the house to have stood does it? Especially considering nothing was ever built in its place. Did it stand empty and derelict before it was demolished? I'm thinking of Cliffe House now because if something isn't done with that soon demolition will be all it's fit for.

Acrylic-bob 09-10-2004 06:40

I learned last week that Cliffe House has been bought by persons of a foreign persuasion. Nobody I spoke to seems to know what they intend to do with it though.

There seems to have been a lot of demolition just after the second world war, quite a lot of the large houses in the area were demolished. Perhaps it has something to do with the increase in inheritance tax and Death Duties. Though I can see no reason for the demolition of houses such as Rhyddings Hall.

kestrelx 13-10-2004 14:57

I never knew about those two houses till i came here at Accy Web and had forgotten that Ardenhall house is still standing was only the Coach House...I think the ruins of one of those houses was up near the fishing lodges as always wondered what the stone foundations were there.So I have learnt something from coming here lol...

Well Willow I think that Falconry takes a lot of time an patience and you have to look after and fly your birds every day etc so the guy chose this over being in the 4pennies I think.

Don't know Cliffe house where is it?

Wasn't that house in Oak Hill Park for sale for a couple of pounds in the 80's,so cheap coz it was so rundown?

WillowTheWhisp 13-10-2004 16:25

Cliffe House is in Willows Lane opposite Willow Mount Club. Currently looking very deserted and bedraggled.

Darby 14-10-2004 05:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
I learned last week that Cliffe House has been bought by persons of a foreign persuasion. Nobody I spoke to seems to know what they intend to do with it though.

There seems to have been a lot of demolition just after the second world war, quite a lot of the large houses in the area were demolished. Perhaps it has something to do with the increase in inheritance tax and Death Duties. Though I can see no reason for the demolition of houses such as Rhyddings Hall.

I have heard that it will become a Muslim Learning center...complete with firing range, and bomb making cellar!!

Or a Muslim School!! Rumours are probably right! :engsmil:

WillowTheWhisp 14-10-2004 06:58

Well let's hope it won't be long before all the rubble and filth is cleared away. It must be a haven for rats.

Darby 14-10-2004 10:41

So That's where Rix and Britcliffe live!!

kestrelx 18-10-2004 16:28

Don't know Cliffe house!

WillowTheWhisp 18-10-2004 17:36

2 Attachment(s)
see below photos

kestrelx 19-10-2004 10:55

Are there any marble or antique fire places in there?