Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Chuch Kirk Early 1960s (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/chuch-kirk-early-1960s-4558.html)

Doug 16-06-2004 13:34

Chuch Kirk Early 1960s

Hi,

A few old black & whites of Church

No 1. I am the one with the flower. Anyone remember to corner shop behind the Car. In 1966/67, they had a Yorkie. The little B****** bit me over the eye.

No 2 & 3 two views looking towards the Thorn and the Church. My dads driving the bus.

No 4, Sally army march around 1967/68 can anyone see themselves? Mick & Cazzer, I am the one with the specs.

No 6, Omo. (Single Decker) No 6 Church Kirk. Again my dads driving.

No 7, Rose Queen 1967/68. I am the one with the bloody hat. Give me nits that ******.

:engsmil:

Doug 16-06-2004 13:37

Re: Chuch Kirk Early 1960s

Don't ask....I uploaded the Bloody photos, but I don't know where the buggers have gone.

Darby 16-06-2004 14:10

How did you get to become the Rose Queen Doug?? There must be a story behind that one!

Doug 16-06-2004 14:59

sorry...

I can't get the file size dowm below 1400. There not that good unfortunitley, but I will be happy to e-mail if possible.

Cazzer I have a couple of shots of me and the Holts sat outside 89 & 91.

Sorry Folks I will keep trying.

Darby, Good one....I said Hat, not Crown.

Regards

Doug

Mick 16-06-2004 15:28

4 Attachment(s)
ok doug here you are

Doug 16-06-2004 15:34

Thanks Mick,

Tealeaf 16-06-2004 15:40

Cheers Doug & Mick......lovely piccy's. It's just amazing how much Church Kirk has changed over the years...the old school went 10 years ago and it's been derelict land since...The Thorn, the Libary & the Guns are just about the only places that have'nt changed.

Atarah 16-06-2004 22:59

I just LOVE that last photo, of you and your sister? Its a gem! How people's "yards" have changed over the years!

Doug 16-06-2004 23:22

Hi Atarah,

There is more, I will send some on to you. I have one that shows the gate and I think I have one of the drop box. (loo) to those of younger years. Ours was a true one. Along pipe that seamed to drop forever, over that was a well-worn (shiny Smooth) wood bench. We put a Thunder Box in sometime around 1964/65, before that you just tipped a bucket of water down.

My mum made me a step out of Red Cement mix and broken Nori’s set into an old washing up bowl so I could reach the bench on my own. I remember that the thing was hinged to aid cleaning…more than once I nearly got my head suck in it.

By the way, it was about 1966 before we had a proper bog…We didn’t have an indoor loo or bath until we moved up fern gore to miller Fold.

God we lived like that and loved it.

nooone 17-06-2004 02:39

uhhhhhhhhh.......... yea

Darby 17-06-2004 05:13

Nice Piccys Doug. I use to go to Chuch Kirk School (St. James) in the early 50's. Spent many a happy hour round there.

Great stuff.

WillowTheWhisp 17-06-2004 14:52

Is that single decker bus coming down Dill Hall Lane?

mez 17-06-2004 15:04

ee doug my ex husband used to drive the old buses in the sixties, they used to come from church kirk to henry st, cross over to george st (passed our house) then down the tanpits rd, onto countess st & into accy, i know there was a hue & cry when they went onto O,MO, BUSES wot a laugh i can have now. memories.

simon 17-06-2004 15:14

Fantastic pics , I really like the people in the shots you can see how life was so different to now by the look on there faces :)

Can I ask one Question? the picture of the older couple which is my favorite..
Is that the biggest spider in the world on the lady's leg or what(???) ;)

Tealeaf 17-06-2004 15:20

Mez, The bus stop used to be by the side of Church Kirk School....it used to leave at 12 minutes past the hour....I really can't remember that bus stop opposite the Thorn.

Can anyone else remember bus timetables and routes...the 46 to Blackburn(Stopping) used to run on the hour from Accy then every 12 minutes...the No 9 (Express) was every 10 minutes at peak times, but used to cost an extra penny (to Church) anyway.....and then there was always that Blackburn Corporation bus that used to park up by Church Clock and used to leave at 5 past 8.

Can anyone remember the Ribble buses that used to go through Church at quarter past and quarter to the hour (started at Ossy and went to Harwood and Clitheroe)..........

Buses & Bus Timetables is a good subject. Much better than boring footy.

mez 17-06-2004 15:30

yea i can i used to catch the 1/4 past seven to claytom le moors to work every morning if i missed that id to run to the top of henry st to catch the one all the way round, id be 5 mins late then, or if i was lucky id get a lift on a motor bike from one of the lads , he he he

Tealeaf 17-06-2004 15:39

Going back to the piccy's for a moment, is that Charlie Watts (Drummer with the Rolling Stones) in the second piccy?

Doug 17-06-2004 16:48

Hi,

No not really Simon/Tealelf….No problem though.

The elder couple are my Grand Parents Rachel and Thomas Douglas. The house is the backroom of 15 Canal Street. My Nan suffered from severe ulcerations (Sores). Very painful and restricting, she would have been 52 then.

Tommy died in 1969 from the big one (Park Drive - red packet). Rachel died some time around 1974, she moved to a flat up Dill Hall after Tommy died. I last saw then in 1968. I still miss then and I will always regret not saying goodbye.

Atarah…now you understand why.

Hi Mez,

Who is your dad…my dads driving both buses, but not at the same time (Darby/Simon),…My Dad was Alan Douglas.

Do you remember milkshakes in the Copper kettle…?

Hello Tealeaf,

I use to take my dad a Billy can of tea (remember them) down to that bus stop over road from the Thorn…I always remember it as being there.

Your right Simon real people that is why I have allowed myself to post them, these are real people who lived and died though many hardships but always had time for others…A very Accrington attitude…

I hope everybody enjoys these pictures. Maybe it time for us to see some others from around the town. What say you Atarah…Lets see how all lived.

Darby 18-06-2004 05:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by mez
ee doug my ex husband used to drive the old buses in the sixties, they used to come from church kirk to henry st, cross over to george st (passed our house) then down the tanpits rd, onto countess st & into accy, i know there was a hue & cry when they went onto O,MO, BUSES wot a laugh i can have now. memories.

Hey MEZ I didn't know you use to live in George Street!!!! I had a feeling your face was familiar, I'm trying to get the brain cells to remember, and look back to that era. Do you remember the Gudgeons??

Tealeaf - I can remember the bus stop at the Thorn as the buses use to go past the Thorn and turn round at the side of the Church. Bet you don't remember the Trams at Chuch Commercial though. The No. 46 was the Blackburn (stopping) bus and the No. 9 the Express, and we use to have to move out of teh road every hour for the Church Kirk bus....It use to play havoc with our football!!

mez 18-06-2004 06:42

my dad was called bernard, but he didnt drive the buses doug, he went in tampits club a lot though. darby, yes i lived in george st, but we lived at 27, oswald st first , the lords used to live in george st first then my mum bought there house off them , i do remember the gudgeons, the websters , olwen & frank crawshaw, the scully, the fentons, the mcgollochlins veronica prendergast but to name a few, rosthorns, do you remember eddie peareson, raymond lowe. see i did live in church & yes i remember going to blackburn on the tram, wot a rickity ride that was ha ha ha (spelling )

Darby 18-06-2004 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by mez
my dad was called bernard, but he didnt drive the buses doug, he went in tampits club a lot though. darby, yes i lived in george st, but we lived at 27, oswald st first , the lords used to live in george st first then my mum bought there house off them , i do remember the gudgeons, the websters , olwen & frank crawshaw, the scully, the fentons, the mcgollochlins veronica prendergast but to name a few, rosthorns, do you remember eddie peareson, raymond lowe. see i did live in church & yes i remember going to blackburn on the tram, wot a rickity ride that was ha ha ha (spelling )

Eddie Pearson! use to play cricket with him in the Accy league. He use to live in Exchange Street, but that was over 20 years ago. Haven't seen him for donkeys.

Scully, Frank Crawshaw I remember well. OK I now am sure you use to live in Church. I use to libve at 12 Oswald Street, but that was more than 55 years ago!!! Must be getting old now. Was due my bus pass earlier this month, but they don't give 'em in Germany!!!

Doug 18-06-2004 08:55

Hi Mez,

Sorry, I ment who was your husband that drove the buses.

I remember gudgeons...

Darby 18-06-2004 09:39

Do any of you remember Raymond Tatershall.

He lived either on Canal Street or the street opposite the shop next to the School (St. James in the direction of the Thorn). He became a Ladies hairdresser, and was quite a clever lad. His mum and dad were always very good to me (we 'ad now't in them days). He went to Church Kirk and then I think he went to Rhyddings School before starting work. I have never come across him for 40 years.

Any memories?

mez 18-06-2004 10:39

darby if you played cricket with eddie then you quite possibly know my older brother bernard he has red hair, do you also remember barry schofield & his cousin iris, as for raymond tatt i cant recall him our kid might know ill ask him when i speak to him next,

Doug 18-06-2004 10:51

Hi,

Anyone remember the chap in Canal Steet who only had one arm. He had lost the lower part from the elbow.

Also the Bradshaws or Hannans from Canal St.

Darby 18-06-2004 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by mez
darby if you played cricket with eddie then you quite possibly know my older brother bernard he has red hair, do you also remember barry schofield & his cousin iris, as for raymond tatt i cant recall him our kid might know ill ask him when i speak to him next,

Yes I knew Bernard, I think it was when I played for the Cavaliers CC. I remember him from Chuch days. Barrie Schofield as well. But remember, I left Accy in 1959, came back in 1964, and left again in 1969. After that all is a blur (must be the Thwaites).

jess^ 19-06-2004 20:06

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Doug 19-06-2004 20:47

Rheumatoid arthritis is treated in many way’s…the dark objects seen are ties and if you look closely you will see that it is a dressing cast that she is wearing.

However, I can assure you that my grandmother suffered for ulceration of the legs.

grego 19-06-2004 20:56

Excellent photo's Doug, thanks for sharing those with us.

lettie 19-06-2004 21:28

Excellent photos. Me and Grego are originally Church lasses, but I wasn't born until 1968 and Grego in 1970, so it's a bit before our time. I bet my dad remembers some of these scenes. He is also a bus driver, and has been since about 1966/7, so he may well remember your dad.

WINGY 19-06-2004 21:43

I didn't realise you were from Church Lettie!. Me and mac are Church lads too but a bit later than you lot, about 79 to 88.

Doug 19-06-2004 21:51

Thanks Grego.

Hi letti, I hope you enjoyed you Holiday...Drop me a private one if you like and let me know your dads name, I'll see if it rings any bells. I have a clearer picture of my dad if yours needs a memory jog.

lettie 19-06-2004 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by WINGY
I didn't realise you were from Church Lettie!. Me and mac are Church lads too but a bit later than you lot, about 79 to 88.

Wingy, were you that drunk at our last meet up that you forgot the "Stockleys" conversation... :D

Doug, I will pm you..

WINGY 19-06-2004 22:22

AAAAHHHHHHHH i remember it now, hehehehehe Stockleys was great... I remeber dissapearing for a wee tour of the old teritory..

Tealeaf 19-06-2004 23:09

Why ain't there a Church section on here? If we've got a Springhill/Karachi section on here, why not Church?

WINGY 19-06-2004 23:14

Post it in the feedback section Tea, and i'm sure that your wish will be granted..

Doug 20-06-2004 00:25

I hope so Wingy

If I may be so bald to say...The old chaps right.

Royboy39 24-03-2008 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 63081)
Hi,

A few old black & whites of Church

No 1. I am the one with the flower. Anyone remember to corner shop behind the Car. In 1966/67, they had a Yorkie. The little B****** bit me over the eye.

The shop on the corner of John Street was Hamers...a general grocery store....opposite was Mrs Bushes fish and chip shop....other corner a toffee shop, can't remember the name (Smithies?) on the other corner opposite Church Kirk School was a grocer called John Holden...He had a daughter who took over the chip shop when Mrs Bush retired (Pat Holden)

I remember a mixture and fish was then 1 shilling and two pence.
in todays funny money that is 6p and no vat.

A mixture and a fish was fish chips and peas....in a basin which you provided.

Happy days :tongueout

Royboy39 24-03-2008 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 63358)
Can anyone remember the Ribble buses that used to go through Church at quarter past and quarter to the hour (started at Ossy and went to Harwood and Clitheroe)..........

Not Clitheroe I'm afraid unless that was a special.

The worst shift on the Ribble operated from the Blackburn Depot was a 4.15am start and 13 trips Gt Harwood - Ossy...The vehicle used on this shift was fleet No: 1494...a Leyland PD 1 with a crash gearbox...quite an experience....would sort the men from the boy's now...That was in 1964.

cashman 24-03-2008 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 551392)
Not Clitheroe I'm afraid unless that was a special.

The worst shift on the Ribble operated from the Blackburn Depot was a 4.15am start and 13 trips Gt Harwood - Ossy...The vehicle used on this shift was fleet No: 1494...a Leyland PD 1 with a crash gearbox...quite an experience....would sort the men from the boy's now...That was in 1964.

it went through in the mid 70s, used to catch it from henry st to Bramley Meade when me daughter was being born.;)

yatesmnn 31-10-2008 19:52

my grandma and grandad lived in john st, my dad lived in church all his life, and i married a church lad.

Royboy39 31-10-2008 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by yatesmnn (Post 646215)
my grandma and grandad lived in john st, my dad lived in church all his life, and i married a church lad.

Was your Grandma's name Lucy?....are you related to The late Brian...Irene or Rita?

yatesmnn 31-10-2008 23:42

yes Lucy is my grandma and brian was my dad did you know any of them

Royboy39 01-11-2008 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by yatesmnn (Post 646269)
yes Lucy is my grandma and brian was my dad did you know any of them

Yes I knew them all, your Grandad as well, Albert.
Your dad was known as Little Brian Yates only because he was smaller than than the other Brian Yates who lived at the top of Church Kirk Lane opposite the church.
I knew Irene and Rita as well.
If you tell them that you have been speaking to Agnes's son Roy they will remember me.

yatesmnn 01-11-2008 16:54

Hi roy
thanks for the reply, bet you could tell me a few storys about my dad lol, did you knew me mum jean? my grandma lucy still lives in church, edward court at the bottom on church kirk lane, my anuty rita lives just up the road on dill hill lane and anuty irene lives in rishton, my ex husband who also comes from church is andrew taylor he lived on the street at the back of john st but i cannot remember what it is called now. andrew still lives in church now on church hall, I myself live in blackburn but go over to see my grandma every week with my brother ian.

Barrie Yates 06-07-2009 17:22

I lived in Maden St from about '56 to '61, and then my wife Anne went back and lived with my mother when i got posted to Borneo - that was Dec '63 to Jan '64. My mother had the confectioner's shop facing the Clock Tower. The Ribble bus was often held up because my dog used to lie in the road and the driver would get out and tell him to move, which he always did. I didn't spend much social time in Church, but did frequent all the local hostelries frequently - i had discovered girls and nearly always they were foreigners from Haslingden and other foreign climes, but I still have fond memories - Thorn, Cross Guns, Queen's, Stag, Tanpits and Tanpits Club. Happy days.

MOUSEUK 11-05-2010 19:44

1 Attachment(s)
I lived next to the butchers on Church Street in the hardware shop this picture was taken round the back, I can remember the coal yard over the back, and all the power cuts we had. I also went to church Kirk school 1969.those were the days.

flashy 11-05-2010 20:09

wow, i've never seen this thread before, my mum was born on John street in 1945 and lived there for years, her aunt Vera lived on John street from the day she was born until 1996 when she sadly passed away, she lived at number 16, her name was Vera Heys, had sisters called Sheila and Eunice and i think a brother called Dougie, their mother (my great gran) was called Ursula Demaine (later Heys) lived to the ripe old age of 96 and died in 1986..... my dads cousin was the first woman bus driver in Lancashire

MOUSEUK 11-05-2010 20:42

Flashy I don’t remember allot as I was 4 when we moved away but my Dad remembers more, they used to live in a room if that what you call it I think it was called bank top in church I may be wrong. Before they bought the shop. I once got a photo taken in the park in the sand pit opposite the new fire station .It was called the odd one out.there were 4 of us with blonde hair,I was the odd one out as the other 3 were brothers.lol

flashy 11-05-2010 21:01

lol, i wasn't born until 1976 and i wasn't brought up in Church, we lived all over the place when i was growing up, Rishton (so i'm told) Peel Court in Ossy (parents worked there and we lived in one of the houses attached to the home) and then up Dill Hall Lane way

cashman 11-05-2010 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 726970)
I lived in Maden St from about '56 to '61, and then my wife Anne went back and lived with my mother when i got posted to Borneo - that was Dec '63 to Jan '64. My mother had the confectioner's shop facing the Clock Tower. The Ribble bus was often held up because my dog used to lie in the road and the driver would get out and tell him to move, which he always did. I didn't spend much social time in Church, but did frequent all the local hostelries frequently - i had discovered girls and nearly always they were foreigners from Haslingden and other foreign climes, but I still have fond memories - Thorn, Cross Guns, Queen's, Stag, Tanpits and Tanpits Club. Happy days.

what about the Bridge n Wellington Barrie? were ya barred?:D

whistler 27-05-2010 19:59

Mick,
Thanks for the photos, I am a Church lad born and bred and still live around the corner from the Thorn Inn. It's good to see what it was like back in those days. If you have any more photos of the Church area then I would definately be interested.
Mark.

whistler 27-05-2010 20:04

Doug
Thanks for the photos, I am a Church lad born and bred and still live around the corner from the Thorn Inn. It's good to see what it was like back in those days. If you have any more photos of the Church area then I would definately be interested.
Mark.

Barrie Yates 28-05-2010 06:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 814050)
what about the Bridge n Wellington Barrie? were ya barred?:D

Never liked the Bridge, apologies for forgetting the Wellington the landlord was (Herbet Hall), a friend of the family - even had a lock-in the night my eldest was born - he was in QP and we were in the Wellington.:D:D:D

cashman 28-05-2010 11:19

Gotta say the "Bridge" was never one of mine, used to do the welly disco late 70s early 80s.:)

Peter Ashworth 11-07-2010 16:40

I also lived in George Street at number 2 the bus stop was right outside our house,got warned on numerous occasions by the police for playing footy in the street (the bus stop was one of the goal posts) also got plenty of stick off the greengrocer on the corner Mrs Price.

Barrie Yates 11-07-2010 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Ashworth (Post 828005)
I also lived in George Street at number 2 the bus stop was right outside our house,got warned on numerous occasions by the police for playing footy in the street (the bus stop was one of the goal posts) also got plenty of stick off the greengrocer on the corner Mrs Price.

Was the greengrocers on the corner of Maden St?

Barrie Yates 11-07-2010 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 818696)
Gotta say the "Bridge" was never one of mine, used to do the welly disco late 70s early 80s.:)

Is that why it isn't a pub anymore?:D:D:D

keith higson 15-11-2010 04:51

Re Church: Ive just spend the past couple of hours looking at the posts regarding Chrch. They certainly brought back happy memories. Although I left to live in Accrington in the earl 50s with my family I still have fond memories of the place, I was even in in the St James Church Choiur (until they found out what was wrong with the organ - still the Rev Stevens kept a lovely drop of wine)

Visited the old area in 1998 whilst on a nostalgia trip from Australia, was cetainly surprised to see that many of the streets and landmarks (Police Station, Church Kirk School etc) had been bulldozed down and the places were like bomb sites. Looking back I recall people like " Beryl Blackledge, Derek FaircloughJune Moreton, Sheila Broderick ' The Hammerton Brothers from down the Tanpits Way,Roy Fyshwick, Brian Yates, Johnny Hargreaves oh the list could go on and on if only my memory did'nt fail me. So please keep an old man happy and keep on posting.

Lancashire Stan 03-04-2011 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 551380)
The shop on the corner of John Street was Hamers...a general grocery store....opposite was Mrs Bushes fish and chip shop....other corner a toffee shop, can't remember the name (Smithies?) on the other corner opposite Church Kirk School was a grocer called John Holden...He had a daughter who took over the chip shop when Mrs Bush retired (Pat Holden)

I remember a mixture and fish was then 1 shilling and two pence.
in todays funny money that is 6p and no vat.

A mixture and a fish was fish chips and peas....in a basin which you provided.

Happy days :tongueout

It was indeed Smithies sweet shop It was run by my mother Margaret. I was only little when we left there and moved to Stanley St so I can't remember the name of the people that bought the shop after us. We used to frequent Mrs Bush's chip shop too, pure nectar.

lollipop 11-04-2011 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 63131)
ok doug here you are

I to went to church kirk school, favourite memory, the bakery on ork st opp school having a penny loaf before school and taking the warm dough out of the middle then eating the crust, happy days:)

StokesWilk 10-05-2014 17:16

Anyone got any photos of Maden Street, Church before most of it was pulled down. My grandparents and mother and four sisters lived there- the Stokes family.

holtsign 23-02-2017 13:05

I moved into the Thorn Inn on St James Road in January 1967 and lived there until 1979. My Mum and Dad were Joyce and Joe Smith who ran the pub. I remember many of the names mentioned on this thread and have great memories of living there. Its good to see that the Thorn is still a pub to this day!

Pmfg 04-07-2020 04:22

I used to work at Naylers from 1959 until about 1968. My grandmother lived in Kirk Road opposite the factory. Can’t remember what the factory was.
There was a bus stop at the top of akirk a road to Accy

Atarah 20-07-2020 07:38

The factory in Kirk Road was Mastabar Mining Equipment, plus there was also a company called NGN Ltd, in the same building. They made high vacuum equipment, whilst Mastabar made pit props for the mining industry. The site has now been demolished and a new housing estate is now on the site. Both firms owned by J H Fenner of Hull.

KnuzdenLass 25-07-2020 09:39

Hi, My Grandad Joe Demaine was your Grandma's cousin. I have some bits and pieces on ancestry on her and family tree. Jane Phipps 😊