Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   No Idea where or year... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/no-idea-where-or-year-60899.html)

Karateman 06-03-2012 19:02

No Idea where or year...

1 Attachment(s)
Could be an Accrington school or church...but no info at all...just that it is in our family photos and dont recognise anyone in it.....I wish mum was here to tell me....

Building will probably be the only clue.....

Phil

jaysay 07-03-2012 08:50

Re: No Idea where or year...

Think that could be any school Karateman, St Andrews or Mary Mags?

susie123 07-03-2012 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karateman (Post 975705)
Could be an Accrington school or church...but no info at all...just that it is in our family photos and dont recognise anyone in it.....I wish mum was here to tell me....

Building will probably be the only clue.....

Phil

This I think is the same pic you posted on the St Andrews thread a few weeks ago.

Hard to tell which are boys and which are girls with those hats on!

Funny that in the pic you posted on the other thread which was a bit later they are not wearing any kind of uniform but in this one they all appear to be dressed similarly - especially the hats!

Also there ar six adults ? teachers which seems rather a lot for a school class. I wonder if this was a Sunday School? It looks a bit like they are wearing Sunday best including the teachers with their hats on.

flashy 07-03-2012 12:38

awww what a nice pic

mobertol 07-03-2012 12:46

Lovely photo -I wonder with them all being dressed in white if it was somthing like a first holy communion picture -the age of the children look about the right age. Just a thought...

susie123 07-03-2012 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 975874)
Lovely photo -I wonder with them all being dressed in white if it was somthing like a first holy communion picture -the age of the children look about the right age. Just a thought...

But wouldn't the girls at least have had veils rather than straw hats?

mobertol 07-03-2012 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 975875)
But wouldn't the girls at least have had veils rather than straw hats?

Probably -perhaps it was just a special day -picnic or something. Seems strange to dress kids in white smocks -not very practical... Could have been May day - we used to dress for that but there would be a May queen then.

Karateman 07-03-2012 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 975827)
This I think is the same pic you posted on the St Andrews thread a few weeks ago.

Not same picture and dont think same position, but may still be same school/church ie St Andrews....but earlier.

This photo looks like it might be inside the grounds of the school, maybe the middle area as the ground looks like gravel or soil. There is access to the side of St Andrews from Empress st, but the windows aren't right or the angled stonework you can see doesn't match.

Sacred Heart maybe.......

Phil

susie123 07-03-2012 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karateman (Post 975949)
Not same picture and dont think same position, but may still be same school/church ie St Andrews....but earlier.

This photo looks like it might be inside the grounds of the school, maybe the middle area as the ground looks like gravel or soil. There is access to the side of St Andrews from Empress st, but the windows aren't right or the angled stonework you can see doesn't match.

Sacred Heart maybe.......

Phil

Look at post no 3 on http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...tml#post975840

I'm sure it's the same picture.

There have also been some posts today about the later picture in post no 1.

Karateman 07-03-2012 19:49

There have also been some posts today about the later picture in post no 1.[/quote]

Oh Dear...I'm definately losing it, I forgot completly I had posted the second picture as a follow up to the first St Andrews picture......TAXI for Phil.....LOL

Well I do get my free prescriptions this year so please allow for me losing a bit of the grey matter.......

Phil

ps.....I scanned all these photos a long while ago......just my luck that there could be or might be, a description on the back of the pic. I think I will hunt them out and double check...then go into hiding....LOL

susie123 07-03-2012 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karateman (Post 976005)

There have also been some posts today about the later picture in post no 1.

Oh Dear...I'm definately losing it, I forgot completly I had posted the second picture as a follow up to the first St Andrews picture......TAXI for Phil.....LOL

Well I do get my free prescriptions this year so please allow for me losing a bit of the grey matter.......

Phil

Don't worry Phil, they're not coming to take you away just yet... :eek::rolleyes:

Senior moment perhaps...

Karateman 07-03-2012 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 975822)
Think that could be any school Karateman, St Andrews or Mary Mags?

Very distinctive wall behind...is it the same as Mary mags?

Phil

susie123 07-03-2012 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karateman (Post 976045)

Phil

I did wonder about that but not really sure. Did your family have any connection?

susie123 08-03-2012 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karateman (Post 976045)

Phil

Used to go to Mary Mags, church and Sunday school when I was little. We lived just round the corner on Whalley Road.

I think the west end of the church has been rebuilt, if you look at the pic in this link

GENUKI: St Mary Magdalen Church of England, Accrington, Lancashire genealogy

the window looks quite modern. The plinth at the bottom of the wall looks about the same as in your photo but the buttresses aren't quite right. In your pic the bottom step of the buttress has two slabs covering it but in the modern pic the buttress has two separate steps at the bottom each with a separate covering.

What gets me about your pic is that the children are all wearing the same outfits, white smocks/shirts and straw hats, yet it doesn't look like a school photo and there are too many adults to all be teachers for one class.

Karateman 08-03-2012 17:57

Dont think we had any connection with Mary Mags'...only really St Andrews where my brother and my Mum and uncle went. Mum was born in 1912 so like the other photo probably went from 1916..ish to 1920..ish perhaps....... dont know if it was a senior school as well in which case she may have gone till...maybe 1926...ish

Anyone know what ages kids went to, and left, school in the 1920's

Phil