Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 21:56   #1
I am Banned

OLD PHOTO's

Whilst searching for something yesterday, came across these old photo's, I've lost the info that should have been with them.
One of them is of Church War Memorial, but the others I can't remember where they were taken, does any one recognise the background, they are circa 1920's.
Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1923. Church..jpg (279.0 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg Circa 1920's-1..jpg (214.0 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Circa 1920's.-2.jpg (223.5 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg Circa 1920's.-3.jpg (183.2 KB, 184 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-04-2011, 08:23   #2
Senior Member+

Re: OLD PHOTO's

Suggestions: No 2 India Street ( near Antley Chapel) No3 & 4 Cotton Street Only byt lookinmg at Observers of the period might full identification be made. They are the sort that apperared in the papers then, along with a full report on the procession. Alan 'Tram Man' Parkin has done a lot of copying of Observer photos.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:25   #3
Senior Member+

Dont ask me why but I feel that the 2nd photo is in the area off by the post office in Avenue Parade, i.e Norfolk Street.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:11   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
No3 & 4 Cotton Street Only byt lookinmg at Observers of the period might full identification be made. They are the sort that apperared in the papers then, along with a full report on the procession. Alan 'Tram Man' Parkin has done a lot of copying of Observer photos.
Agree re. Cotton Street, Bob .. only because there is a picture of the Cotton Street Unsectatian Church in your book 'Accrington Acclaimed', and this is definitely the one in the pictures. There, given you a plug.
See my entry re the History Society ... Alan Parkin lecturing on Steam Trams on Thursday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Dont ask me why but I feel that the 2nd photo is in the area off by the post office in Avenue Parade, i.e Norfolk Street.
Blimey, if that is correct .. you are very good, Atarah .. looks like most streets to me.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:58   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Agree re. Cotton Street, Bob .. only because there is a picture of the Cotton Street Unsectatian Church in your book 'Accrington Acclaimed', and this is definitely the one in the pictures. There, given you a plug.
See my entry re the History Society ... Alan Parkin lecturing on Steam Trams on Thursday.

Blimey, if that is correct .. you are very good, Atarah .. looks like most streets to me.
Atarah could be right,but as you say it looks most streets. If it is Norfolk St, then it would probably have something to do with Cambridge St Methodist.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 13:09   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Atarah is correct they are the Cotton St Misson Sunday School procession, in Cotton St. She PM'd me the other day.
One of the clues is the base of the factory chimney in picture Nu 4, just left of center,
Retlaw
As for picture Nu 2 it can't be up Avenue Parade way, there is a slight slope on the sreet in the picture, and all those streets up of Avenue Parade are level.

Last edited by Retlaw; 05-04-2011 at 13:17.
Old 05-04-2011, 13:25   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Atarah is correct they are the Cotton St Misson Sunday School procession, in Cotton St. She PM'd me the other day.
One of the clues is the base of the factory chimney in picture Nu 4, just left of center,
Retlaw
As for picture Nu 2 it can't be up Avenue Parade way, there is a slight slope on the sreet in the picture, and all those streets up of Avenue Parade are level.
They are level, and on the picture there does seem to be a slight slope. I'm just wondering whether the slope might just be an optical illusion. Also I'm fearful of contradicting Atarah.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 13:52   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
They are level, and on the picture there does seem to be a slight slope. I'm just wondering whether the slope might just be an optical illusion. Also I'm fearful of contradicting Atarah.

Haha ha! - and I still think the street looks STRAIGHT in no 2 photo!
Attached Images
File Type: gif alaughing.gif (78.3 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-04-2011, 14:26   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
They are level, and on the picture there does seem to be a slight slope. I'm just wondering whether the slope might just be an optical illusion.
Could be an optical illusion. Thought the guy in the toga had a fag stuck behind his ear, until I looked more closely, and realised headband of some sort. Great legs though.

And is that child really sat on top of the cab ?? Can't see them getting away with that nowadays.
Old 05-04-2011, 16:31   #10
Senior Member+

In No 1, the Regd No of the lurry seems to be CW 6620. This number was first issued in Burnley. The Lancashire Record Office, now called Lancashire Archives, may have details of this vehicle's ownership even if it has passed to an owner outside Burnley Borough , but still in Lancashire County. Once we know the owner, pin-pointing the church/chapel may be easier, and also the location. It will also be helpful in fixing a date for the photo.
I'm freetened of Atarah too. - Katex as well, not to mention MargaretR.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 18:53   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I'm freetened of Atarah too. - Katex as well, not to mention MargaretR.
We are just pussycats, Bob ... but just to keep you in line like .. be afraid, be very afraid .. teeheeteehee.

three witches.jpg
Old 05-04-2011, 23:18   #12
God Member

Quote:
Katex,Great legs though.
Trust you lol. Great pics though
Old 08-04-2011, 19:53   #13

Walter Marsden MC (1882–1969) was an English sculptor and one of many ex-servicemen to work on war memorials after World War I. Marsden had served as an officer in the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment and was awarded a Military Cross fighting in the Third Battle of Ypres in 1917
The war memorial at Church which was Marsden’s birthplace features a Portland Stone figure representing “Peace” and it was unveiled on the 18th September 1923 by Lieutenant Colonel G.C.H.Bolton. This memorial stands in Gatty Park on the Hyndburn Road and in front of Elmfield Hll, In Elmfield Hall itself there is a plaque made by Marsden again commemorating those lost in the Great War. The inscription on the main memorial reads “1914-1918/They whom this monument commemorates were numbered amongst those who, at the call of King and Country left all that was dear to them; Endured Hardness;Faced danger and finally passed out of sight of men by the giving up of their own lives that others might live in freedom. Let those who come after see to it that their names be not forgotten/1939-1945”

Full article
<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Marsden" rel="nofollow">en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Marsden</a>
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 22:35   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Walter Marsden MC (1882–1969) was an English sculptor and one of many ex-servicemen to work on war memorials after World War I. Marsden had served as an officer in the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment and was awarded a Military Cross fighting in the Third Battle of Ypres in 1917
The war memorial at Church which was Marsden’s birthplace features a Portland Stone figure representing “Peace” and it was unveiled on the 18th September 1923 by Lieutenant Colonel G.C.H.Bolton. This memorial stands in Gatty Park on the Hyndburn Road and in front of Elmfield Hll, In Elmfield Hall itself there is a plaque made by Marsden again commemorating those lost in the Great War. The inscription on the main memorial reads “1914-1918/They whom this monument commemorates were numbered amongst those who, at the call of King and Country left all that was dear to them; Endured Hardness;Faced danger and finally passed out of sight of men by the giving up of their own lives that others might live in freedom. Let those who come after see to it that their names be not forgotten/1939-1945”

Full article
<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Marsden" rel="nofollow">en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Marsden</a>
Walter Marsden's parents lived in Princess St Accrington. Walter was 35 years of age when war broke out, served as Lieut in the L.N.L., awarded the M.C. for rescuing a wounded man trapped under ground.
There are 8 names missing from that WW1 plaque, Bancroft W.
Barnes E.
Briggs J.
Maloney M.
McCallum M.
Riley M.
Wixted. J. (Pal)
Wolstenholme A.

Retlaw.
Old 08-04-2011, 23:23   #15
Senior Member+

see this post
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...sden-4069.html

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..