Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hints/Tips/Advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/)
-   -   Wallpapering advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/wallpapering-advice-20909.html)

betty 12-04-2006 20:43

Wallpapering advice

Evening one and all!!

I am about to wallpaper my bathroom and one wall has a lovely large window on it. Can anyone out there advise me on making the window papering look like a professional has decorated for me?? I have papered before and (even if I say so myself) made a passable job of it!!

Look forward to your replies

Betty

garinda 12-04-2006 23:38

Re: Wallpapering advice

http://interiordec.about.com/gi/dyna...%2Fpc2pw10.htm

Hope this helps.

Good luck.:)

meerkat 13-04-2006 01:20

yep try papering over the cracks ;) xx

lol im good arent i lol xx

mw2802 13-04-2006 20:07

a good tip i picked up when wallpapering the bathroom is to line the wall with a thin polystyrene lining (cant remeber name of brand but homebase & b&q sell it), it absorbs the moisture created in a bathroom and stops the wallpaper peeling off. It also gets rid of any nasty bumps there might be in the wall. Also mix the wallpaper paste a bit thicker than normal for extra adhesion.

as for the window, a lot of patience is needed, make sure you measure accurately for the pattern to match up (sorry not much help with that bit!!)

cpcman 10-05-2006 23:06

a good tip i picked up is hire the pros!

Madhatter 11-05-2006 17:59

You mean burnley babes? yep excellent tip, dunno if they'll be able to wallpaper though.

Neil 11-05-2006 19:05

Who cares if they can wallpaper, are they good at stripping?

WillowTheWhisp 11-05-2006 22:00

Cut the paper bigger than you need and then trim it with a stanley knife when it's actually pasted in situ.

Neil 11-05-2006 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Cut the paper bigger than you need and then trim it with a stanley knife when it's actually pasted in situ.

That works when you are not papering into the window sides and are finishing on the wall edge. Some windows have wood on the sides but some don't so you have to decide if your papering right up to the frame - I did not explain that very well did I.
One thing about Willows tip is that the overlapping bit should be cut off when it has dried, the dried paste makes it stiffer and easier to cut. Never try to cut wet pasted paper with a stanley knife, it tends to drag the paper making a ripped mess instead of a nice cut.

Maybe a picture of the window would help.

cpcman 14-05-2006 21:44

Mad Hatter .Who cares they look dammed good though dont they

mani 15-05-2006 04:03

ugh

thank god i'm not the only one who's thinkin about papering *for the first time though*

the walls are really uneven so that makes my job quite a bit harder...

Neil 15-05-2006 06:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by mani
the walls are really uneven so that makes my job quite a bit harder...

It wont make the job any harder. It's just that it will look pants afterwards. If you have uneven walls try to pick a heavyweight paper, it will cover up much better.

mani 15-05-2006 15:45

well its not for the house i live in - i'd do a proper job then! *L* well i'd get soemoen to do a proper job.. its my rents spare house they lease out so i thought get some practise in

mattylad 19-05-2006 19:19

Wipe down the paste board between every piece.

It stops the past dring and getting sticky on the board which then sticks to subsiquent pieces and can rip them etc.

cashman 20-05-2006 12:00

after giving this thread seroius consideration -the best advice i can offer is GET SOME OTHER ****** TO DO IT.:D