Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hints/Tips/Advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/)
-   -   My summer project (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/my-summer-project-22591.html)

Ber999T 27-06-2006 20:08

My summer project

Hi folks and thanks for looking at this thread.

Firstly having hand dug the garden which has lived up to the name of my town (CLAY-by-the-TON per spade full!!!)

I now find that apart from having a spine transplant I may need to ask if anybody has a rotovator that I may borrow for a couple of days this week or where I could hire one from.

The video clip I took tonight (Hope it works) Would not load

Any suggestions on how to get the clay broken up so that I can lay a lawn would also be gratefully received.

I last turn the soil some 10 years ago and had a lawn but it became very waterlogged when it rained and now I know why as there is a clay level about 1 meter down so will have to lay some drainage or a soak-away to try and control it this time round.

WillowTheWhisp 27-06-2006 21:14

Re: My summer project

Would a load of manure help? We used to have an allotment plot which was very 'clayey' and manure seemed to help others on the site. We never really got enough on ours nor had enough time to devote to it.

Ber999T 28-06-2006 18:46

Willow yes a load of good old fashioned horse muck (well rotted) would be of a great help. Are you offering some?

Thinking about doing a soak-away and not to sure if to use pipes or just chippings

Will try to post some pics that I have taken at varous times of work so you can see how the project is getting on.

Not to sure if I can get pics in gallery but will try and if I get prob will pm someone for help lol

Ber999T 28-06-2006 19:19

have posted 3 pics in OLD ACCRINGTON as that was the only folder that would let me add pics to

unless someone tells me differently lol

Madhatter 04-07-2006 23:43

What else did you expect 1metre down bert? gold? It's normal to find a clay bed 1 metre down. It varies, in some parts of mums its just over half, in others it's over a metre. The clay, if it's a metre down sholudn't be a problem, its general site drainage, yes clay pipes will help, but might drain it too much in summer. You need to a lawn, by spiking it and spreading sand on it to improve drainage.

Madhatter 04-07-2006 23:48

You go to the album you want to add to ber, then click on upload and a table should come up. It's got your username then choose a category which should already be the one you were looking at. If you've got problems bert ask len in feedback.

Ber999T 05-07-2006 11:39

Cheers MH thing is I had to dig deep to get roots out.

Yes spiking and sand to improve drainage but last time I laid lawn on the soil it got waterlogged big time hence why I will have to put a soakaway in.

Thanks for the weedkiller tips in another thread (Katex's I think) and for the 2nd part of projuect will do what you suggest to kill weeds.

Need to find out how to reszie pic so that I can add to thread

garinda 05-07-2006 12:08

I once had a very wet clay based lawn.

Besides forking and sweeping in lots of sharp sand, as already been mentioned, this is what I did.

Dig as deep a sump pit as you can and fill with rocks. You can also dig channels from the most water logged parts of the garden leading to it, also fill these with rocks/rubble before filling back up with soil.

It worked for me.

Good luck.:)

Mick 05-07-2006 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ber999T
have posted 3 pics in OLD ACCRINGTON as that was the only folder that would let me add pics to

unless someone tells me differently lol

Your photo's are now in your own
album:
http://www.accringtonweb.com/gallery...ll/ppuser/2452

garinda 05-07-2006 12:19

Blimey.:eek:

Thanks to Mick for now letting us see the photographs, if you don't want a lawn you could always start up a pottery.:D

Ber999T 16-07-2006 23:14

Thanks Mick for the picture link. I had forgotten about this thread. will post new pics later today. Got the lawn laid on Sat, just hoping it takes ok with this heat etc

WillowTheWhisp 16-07-2006 23:22

No, sorry don't have any manure to offer. We got some from a farmer.

Is that a water feature you've got there?

Ber999T 17-07-2006 10:35

yes it is willow going to upload new pics soon so that all can see our new lawn.

Ber999T 17-07-2006 11:03

3 Attachment(s)
Right folks lets see if I can get it right and add pics to the folder that Mick set up for me. Thanks again Mick.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/gallery...ll/ppuser/2452

harwood red 17-07-2006 17:44

quite a dramatic difference!! It's looking really good and well done for working through this hot weather too :)