Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hints/Tips/Advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/)
-   -   Another hamster question (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/another-hamster-question-33610.html)

lindsay ormerod 17-09-2007 17:38

Another hamster question

One of our hammies; " Richard" has sadly shuffled off this mortal coil ( already! he was only 8 months old !)
If anyone has kept hamsters they maybe able to help us out here. "Bill" the other hamster is now on his own; should we get another one as company for him as I understand they are social animals, or would that be asking for trouble ? The remaining hamster is a Campbell's Russian dwarf and is about 8 months old.
Any advice ? :confused:

WillowTheWhisp 17-09-2007 18:04

Re: Another hamster question

We had a similar experience. Had two Campbells who were together from birth and one died. We didn't exactly get a replacement despite them being sociable hamsters (as opposed to the anti social type) because we figured it might not be the same introducing a total stranger to the cage but what we did do was get another two and put the cages side by side so they could communicate.

lindsay ormerod 17-09-2007 20:38

Thanks Willow, I don't really want to get another 2 though; it could be a never ending cycle !

WillowTheWhisp 17-09-2007 20:52

I suppose this isn't a good time to tell you that at one time we had 27 :D

lindsay ormerod 17-09-2007 20:55

Maybe not; Kelsey is still in mourning for Richard and has made a "flag" that is at half mast above the cage .:eek:

WillowTheWhisp 17-09-2007 20:57

Aww bless. When our first one died we were on holiday (we took them with us - don't ask!) and we buried him at sea.

junetta 17-09-2007 22:30

I remember when my daughter's hamster died, lots of years ago. She had gone off to the Isle of Man for a week with her school and the flippin' thing went and popped off whilst she was away. We buried it in the garden and had a bit of a service, as well as a can of Stella each and felt we had done it proud.

We were as tactful as possible when breaking the news but she sobbed her little heart out........I think she was about thirteen at the time! Big brother didn't help either as he thought the whole thing was hilarious.

Would you believe that she went and dug it up again the following day? Thought it was hibernating!

lindsay ormerod 21-09-2007 19:59

Well, we have new hamster, he is the same species and from the same breeder as the late lamented Richard. They have been introduced and after some initial squeeking all seems well; the lady at the pet place said we would know quite soon if they are compatible as "they will tear each other apart " if not.:eek:
I think I will separate them tonight as Bob is much smaller than Bill and I am not convinced about Bill's motives !:o

BERNADETTE 21-09-2007 21:33

Sounds like there could be fun at your house:D

WillowTheWhisp 21-09-2007 22:30

:) Ooooh I hope they get on Lindsay. Sounds promising so far. Do keep us up to date.

lindsay ormerod 24-09-2007 17:44

It's looking good so far ; they have cuddled up together once today without any fuss or squeaking so it would seem they are friends !

***Mr D*** 24-09-2007 18:17

I never liked the hampsters my little one had it wasnt that friendly and just slept all the time.

Now we have two rats, they are much more fun, sociable.

Glad your hamsters are mates.:)

WillowTheWhisp 24-09-2007 20:23

Hamsters are nocturnal so they do tend to sleep a lot during the daytime.

Aaaaw lovely to hear that the new arrival is settling in well with your other hamster Lindsay.

LancYorkYankee 28-09-2007 00:45

I used to have hamsters. Loved to hear that squeeky wheel going all night long. The parents weren't as enfatuated(sp).

My understanding of hampsters is that 2 males rarely do well together. Do ya think this cuddling is the start of a new hobby of raising baby hamsters?

Brian

lindsay ormerod 28-09-2007 08:57

I don't think so ! I hope they are both male or we will be knee deep in the little critters !