Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hints/Tips/Advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/)
-   -   Wasps nest (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/wasps-nest-33838.html)

Gayle 30-09-2007 17:59

Wasps nest

What do you do if you discover that you have a wasps nest in your loft?

We're pretty sure it's empty but not sure what to do with it!

MargaretR 30-09-2007 18:07

Re: Wasps nest

Got this on a Google search
Normally there is no reason to remove an old dead nest. However, if you wish to do so then it should be done carefully and only when you are sure there are no more wasps flying in or out. We would recommend wearing gloves to remove the nest and to have a quick exit route, just in case. A recently dead wasp can still sting you if it is squashed
There is no reason why it can't then go in the bin. That site says that they rebuild a nest next year and wont reuse the one you have if you leave it there, but may build a new one next to it
Frequently Asked Questions

Gayle 30-09-2007 18:09

Gosh, thanks for that - I should have tried google first!

Has anyone ever had a go at moving one?

K.S.H 30-09-2007 18:24

If it's active (of they come back next year) get the council round to remove it, they charge you about £20 but it saves you getting stung :)

K.S.H 30-09-2007 18:26

THIS is a good one to have a look at, is it like that one, didn't realise they were so big

mez 01-10-2007 07:49

very interesting .........now i know why i could trim my hedge this year without getting charged at with a load of wasps like last year.

Neil 01-10-2007 08:46

I have read that wasps will not reuse an old nest so it should not be a problem. How big is the nest? Is it one of those that hangs from the roof like a ball? When I look in my loft I often see small old nests, about as big as a golf ball. I think they must have been abandoned unsuccessful nests.

When we moved in here at first the strange old owners had done nothing about a very big nest. It was in between the slates and under boarding in our out building (out building make's me sound about 95 :D ). I used B&Q wasp nest destroyer on it. It is a foam you spray near the nest entrance. The wasps carry the poison into the nest and it kills them. You can get it as a powder as well. This nest was at least 2 foot square and about 3 inches thick within the roof.

katex 01-10-2007 18:15

Remember reading this Gayle whilst I was on holiday:-

Summer's last sting: why our bizarre weather has brought wasps out in vast numbers | the Daily Mail

Love the closing sentence... :D

garinda 22-05-2012 15:24

We've just had a swarm, like something out of a bad B-movie horror film.

Thousands, and thousands of wasps.

Apparently they were here this morning, and have just come back.

All the neighbours ran inside screaming, to close any open windows.

I thought it was funny.

Though it's put an end to my sunbathing, now a big black cloud has blocked out this rare appearance of the sun.

Typical.

:D:cool::D

Retlaw 22-05-2012 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 993378)
We've just had a swarm, like something out of a bad B-movie horror film.

Thousands, and thousands of wasps.

Apparently they were here this morning, and have just come back.

All the neighbours ran inside screaming, to close any open windows.

I thought it was funny.

Though it's put an end to my sunbathing, now a big black cloud has blocked out this rare appearance of the sun.

Typical.

:D:cool::D

Never heard of wasps swarming, honey bees do when a new queen is born, or the brood gets too big, some of the present day honey bees are crossed with Italian bees and they can look like wasps.
If it is a bee swarm you need to contact HBC, it won't be me that comes out, I'm no longer on the list. Honey Bees are protected by law and only a bee keeper can destroy a nest or a swarm
Retlaw

jaysay 22-05-2012 17:42

I keeps well away from wasps, they're nasty little blighters, they sting just for fun:eek:

mobertol 23-05-2012 12:55

We had a nest in the back wall of our house last year. The guys on the farm pumped diesel in to try and kill them but it didn't work though thousands died. The walls were literally humming - some bright spark (who shall remain nameless but is my other half) decided to close their entrance in the bricks and they started coming in the house in the evening crawling towards the light along the pipes in the heating stystem and coming through cracks round the radiators (it's an old house and Italian plumbing is not noted for being good).
For three days, till we worked out where they were getting in and siliconed up the cracks, it was a bit like living in a Hitchcock movie -shades of "The Birds". In the end we called out the experts who dealt with them.
This morning we had a strange phenomenon with Ants -it is the first warm day after 3 days rain and the path outside all the houses here was literally dark brown with swarming ants. After a while the live ones disappeared and there were just loads of dead ones left -looks like something had happened and they were bringing out their dead!

MargaretR 23-05-2012 13:03

Ant behaviour changes have been linked to eathquakes ?-

Ants-Earthquakes = yes

CAN ANTS PREDICT EARTHQUAKES? =no

mobertol 23-05-2012 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 993524)
Ant behaviour changes have been linked to eathquakes ?-

Ants-Earthquakes = yes

CAN ANTS PREDICT EARTHQUAKES? =no

Now that's really interesting Margaret -hadn't thought of a connection to the earthquakes we've just had. There really were loads of them out this morning -took me ages to sweep away all the little corpses! They weren't just outside the houses either -noticed a lot where we all park our cars too -will have a snoop outside and see if there are any more...

susie123 23-05-2012 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 993528)
Now that's really interesting Margaret -hadn't thought of a connection to the earthquakes we've just had. There really were loads of them out this morning -took me ages to sweep away all the little corpses! They weren't just outside the houses either -noticed a lot where we all park our cars too -will have a snoop outside and see if there are any more...

The ant phenomenon could be due to their mating ritual - which can depend on weather conditions. I've seen this myself when we lived in the country but it's usually a bit later in the year over here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/...ne/7525028.stm