Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hints/Tips/Advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/)
-   -   energy saving tips??? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/energy-saving-tips-41668.html)

den the menace 07-08-2008 15:00

energy saving tips???

with the price of gas and leccy so high it might be a good time to think about cutting down on our usage, any ideas would be very welcome................like sharing a bath with someone, (dont have to be your wife lol)..........or fitting heavier curtains, or maybe going back to open fires, buy a pressure cooker or use the microwave instead of the oven etc. etc.
den.

cashman 07-08-2008 15:07

Re: energy saving tips???

or with leccy ya can always wire in to next doors.:D a guy up plantation st who i used to know got done fer that, back in the day.

entwisi 07-08-2008 15:09

turn off teh router etc overnight, switch to energy bulbs, spend a minute at night before bed seeing whats left on,

I found we tended to leave teh following on

Sky+, ( not in standby, in full on showing picture mode)
TV sender and receiver ( that sends teh Sky+ upstairs)
Washing machine( or teh blue lagoon as I call it as it has a REALLY bright blue display)
Router - not needed from bedtime to after tea the following day
phone chargers x2
battery chargers ( adaptors still turned on even when not charging)

One that bugs me is our Oven has a light that you can't turn off when its cooking, I don't need 40W of light when I'm not even watching the casserole!!!!

Other energy,

make sure your tyres at at right pressure
slow down 10mph
Polish teh car
keep it properly serviced

den the menace 07-08-2008 15:12

ive heard of people wiring up to street lamps, but not ur neighbours, thats going a bit too far lol:D:D:D

maxwell silver 07-08-2008 15:12

Stock up with candles & go live in a cave:D

cashman 07-08-2008 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by den the menace (Post 616137)
ive heard of people wiring up to street lamps, but not ur neighbours, thats going a bit too far lol:D:D:D

it may have been a street lamp actually den, its that long ago, remember the guy, probably forget the method = senile owd git.:D;)

Less 07-08-2008 15:37

If you really want to save energy, bin your computer, printer, scanner, router & any other gadget that we all think is 'must have', knock on your neighbours door introduce yourself and start a good natter.

On second thought's I would hate to find out my neighbour is that silly devil I've been calling over the web for the past year, perhaps we should just follow the example of the ostrich and bury our heads in the sand until everything goes away.:rolleyes:

MUMMIBOO 07-08-2008 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 616134)
turn off teh router etc overnight, switch to energy bulbs, spend a minute at night before bed seeing whats left on,

I found we tended to leave teh following on

Sky+, ( not in standby, in full on showing picture mode)
TV sender and receiver ( that sends teh Sky+ upstairs)
Washing machine( or teh blue lagoon as I call it as it has a REALLY bright blue display)
Router - not needed from bedtime to after tea the following day
phone chargers x2
battery chargers ( adaptors still turned on even when not charging)

One that bugs me is our Oven has a light that you can't turn off when its cooking, I don't need 40W of light when I'm not even watching the casserole!!!!

Other energy,

make sure your tyres at at right pressure
slow down 10mph
Polish teh car
keep it properly serviced

Why polish the car?
would that not waste energy, you know the elbow grease kind especially with this lovely english weather we have 10 minutes after you finished it will rain!! :o

Margaret Pilkington 07-08-2008 21:10

Keeping the car polished cuts down on the wind resistance, and therefore saves energy.

pipinfort 07-08-2008 21:10

[quote=MUMMIBOO;616252]Why polish the car?

I`m thinking better aero dynamics..............

Mr Aleks 07-08-2008 22:45

Turn stuff off or dont use them simple really.

MargaretR 08-08-2008 04:23

I have several 6 way extension plug leads which have built in red lights.

It is not convenient for me to switch them off at the wall socket due to inacessability behind furniture.

I go to the trouble to unplug things and not use the 'standby' but I am aware of these red lights continuously glowing.

Has anyone gone to the trouble of removing these little bulbs? Is is safe and easy to do so?

steeljack 08-08-2008 04:45

never understood why my hoover has a light on the front , not like its used when its dark , same with the light in the fridge , I dont eat in the dark :eek:

Less 08-08-2008 08:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 616351)
I have several 6 way extension plug leads which have built in red lights.

It is not convenient for me to switch them off at the wall socket due to inacessability behind furniture.

I go to the trouble to unplug things and not use the 'standby' but I am aware of these red lights continuously glowing.

Has anyone gone to the trouble of removing these little bulbs? Is is safe and easy to do so?

No Margaret, you or anyone else should not attempt to remove these lights, they are an 'indicator' to let you know there is power going to the socket, they are also small neon lights the power consumption of which is very, very close to zero, in the range of micro amps and will not make a good return on the risk of damage, fire hazard etc caused by interfering with and dismantling the sockets.

http://www.los-angeles-injury-lawyer...ock%20sign.jpg

MargaretR 08-08-2008 08:20

Thank you Less