Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hints/Tips/Advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/)
-   -   Urgent help needed please. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/urgent-help-needed-please-45335.html)

suedarbo 02-02-2009 22:18

Urgent help needed please.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I'm in a mess. I went to work tonight and that was bad enough in the snow. I have 3 boxer dogs at home, I breed them (well will be doing) I'm a responsible dog owner and am registered with the kennel club etc. Anyhow when I got home from work I had no dogs. I was frantic, I NEVER let them out on their own and never without a lead. My back gate was wide open ( I always keep it locked ) and I don't know if someone was trying to break into my house or steal my dogs. As I was running round like a headless chicken and preparing to ring the police to report my dogs stolen, I got a phone call from a lady saying my dogs were in the pound. Someone had called the police because they were runnng about in the street near me. They came and caught the dogs and called the dog warden. I can apparently have them back after 9am in the morning but will have to pay a fine of approximately £78 per dog. If I don't pay I can't have them back. I fully understand that I can't have 3 boxer dogs running riot in the street but I didn't let them out. Is there anything I can do? I feel a bit hard done by especially as I have one that's deaf, she's going to be really confused. Thanks, sorry for the long post. :confused:

Mancie 02-02-2009 22:25

Re: Urgent help needed please.

If was me I'd contacted the kennel club...The home for dog owners and those working with dogs - The Kennel Club and get some advice

Bonnyboy 02-02-2009 22:31

Sorry to hear of your plight.

£78 seems a bit steep for one night for all three dogs never mind per animal.

Dunno what the answer but I go on a pet forum and will pose the question there, see if they have any guidance for you.

P.S. will PM you the site then you can look at any feedback yourself.

suedarbo 02-02-2009 22:42

Thankyou, I can't see properly for crying.

katex 02-02-2009 22:43

Oh poor Sue . what a plight. Don't know much about these matters, but don't think the news would be good.

Were they in the backyard ? Seems, certainly, like someone has climbed over and let them out. The pound will have no sympathy with this, they have rounded them up, looked after them and the charge for the night is as stated. No grey areas I would think.

How to get it back ? Should think virtually impossible unless you have some sort of insurance to cover outside premises for theft, etc., but may not cover this.

Even if reported to the police, they will certainly look into the fact that someone was trying to break into your house, but what can they do about the dog escape and recompense for the collection ? Nothing, unless the culprits are caught and you could issue a private prosecution or summat like that.

Aaaw .. so sorry ... but at least they have come to no harm xx

Not much help am I ? Just trying to be realistic.

Bonnyboy 02-02-2009 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by suedarbo (Post 675204)
Thankyou, I can't see properly for crying.

Calm down it will be ok. I have posted your problem, hopefully someone can give a bit of guidance :)

katex 02-02-2009 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnyboy (Post 675208)
Calm down it will be ok. I have posted your problem, hopefully someone can give a bit of guidance :)

See Sue .. kind people on here for you.

suedarbo 02-02-2009 23:00

The thing is the dogs weren't outside, they were in the house.

MargaretR 02-02-2009 23:01

.Have neighbours complained about their barking when you were out?

suedarbo 02-02-2009 23:10

No, nothing like that. My son was in with them for a while too. They weren't on their own for long. I was only out for two and a half hours and my son was still at home when I went to work.

Neil 02-02-2009 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by suedarbo (Post 675218)
The thing is the dogs weren't outside, they were in the house.

So how did they get outside :confused:

MargaretR 03-02-2009 00:02

I have found a webpage quoting fees

Reclaiming Dogs

Aspen Valley is open Monday to Friday 10.00 - 17.00, and weekends 09.00 - 13.00, for reclaiming dogs, by prior appointment. Dogs only released once due fees have been paid.
Aspen Valley Kennels

Lower Aspen Lane, Oswaltwistle, near Accrington, BB5 4NY

Reclaim fee:

£60, plus £18 for first night, plus £8 for each subsequent night. Dogs held for 7 days before being destroyed or made available for re-homing.

If you have not been burgled the presumption is your son was negligent

suedarbo 03-02-2009 00:05

Thanks Margaret, I've been looking for that and couldn't find it.

MargaretR 03-02-2009 00:06

Legal advice here
Doglaw
but it will cost - and I don't think you have a case - better pay up

Polly_45 03-02-2009 01:28

Wow sorry to read this,i can fully understand you being upset i like you have boxers and have had for 25yrs.
One thing i stipulate to all my puppy buyers is if you decide to leave them make sure your doors are locked,boxers have a canny habit of learning to open doors at a very young age.
As for paying the kennel to reclaim your dogs this is i believe normal practice for any kennel that the council uses to charge so much.I just wish in some circumstances they would scan the dogs and if chipped hold them until they can contact the owner to verify if their dogs where out unknown,or had they been set free.lots of dogs get thrown out this time of yr,but i do wish the dog wardens would scan first
hope you can some way find the money boxers like their humans and home comforts and fret out of their comfort zones
Not sure that the KC will help you out, are you on their accredited breeders list or are your dogs just KC reg