Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hints/Tips/Advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/)
-   -   Public Rights of way (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/public-rights-of-way-60370.html)

maxthecollie 08-01-2012 21:16

Public Rights of way

Has anyone read mr Foys latest posting re spire farm . He is stating that no one can walk on the public right of way on his land with a dog. Does anyone know the legal side to this

Margaret Pilkington 08-01-2012 21:39

Re: Public Rights of way

Public rights of way : Directgov - Environment and greener living

Have a look at this, it may help.

anzac 08-01-2012 22:22

Get in touch with Lancashire Countryside Service who I used to work for. As far as I am aware you are allowed to take your dog on any right of way as long as it is under close control. If your dog wanders on the land then that is trespass so it's best to keep it on a lead when walking through property just to be safe.
From memory certain parts may be subject to wildlife restrictions during some parts of the year but otherwise you should be o.k.

Margaret Pilkington 09-01-2012 06:57

The link that I posted gives the details of the authorities to complain to if public right of way is blocked/impeded in any way.

Neil 09-01-2012 07:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 961266)
The link that I posted gives the details of the authorities to complain to if public right of way is blocked/impeded in any way.

Last time I enquired about public rights of way that were not open it turned out that LCC has understaffed the relevant department and they are unable to cope with the volume of work they have to do.

I know of a couple effectively closed near me

Tealeaf 09-01-2012 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 961267)
Last time I enquired about public rights of way that were not open it turned out that LCC has understaffed the relevant department and they are unable to cope with the volume of work they have to do.

I know of a couple effectively closed near me

Can you name them and give the location on an OS map?

maxthecollie 09-01-2012 15:24

footpath 130 through Spire Farm

Neil 09-01-2012 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 961307)
Can you name them and give the location on an OS map?

If I do will you kick some and get them sorted out?

Footpaths 58, 59 and 60 at the side of Rhyddings park and footpath 302 from Stonebridge Lane to Rhyddings Street.

One has been gated and the other are not safely walk able

Tealeaf 10-01-2012 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 961339)

Footpaths 58, 59 and 60 at the side of Rhyddings park and footpath 302 from Stonebridge Lane to Rhyddings Street.

OK. I've just checked a copy of the OS Explorer Map 287 (West Pennine Moors) and the only designated public footpath I can see is the one that runs on the North East and then South East side of the park, emerging just down from the pub. Does this footpath encompass your footpath numbers? If it does, then it has statutory protection.

If the gated footpath is HBC and they've blocked it then I don't think there's 'owt we can do; if however, it has been blocked by someone else without planning permissi ison, then the council needs to be informed. I can see the reason for blocking an unsafe footpath.

jaysay 10-01-2012 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 961339)

The Stonebridge Lane Rhyddings Street footpath has been a bone of contention for a will now, when I first moved back to Ossy in 1986 I could walk along that path from home going to the Con, then everything went tits up and its been inaccessible now for years

Neil 10-01-2012 21:58

1 Attachment(s)
This is another footpath I saw today that was inaccessible, I thinks its FP 297

jaysay 11-01-2012 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 961654)
This is another footpath I saw today that was inaccessible, I thinks its FP 297

Wheres that Neil, its not the one which runs between the back of Hawthorn Avenue and Rhyddings Park is it:confused:

Spider61 11-01-2012 12:04

Initially the Rhyddings st / Stonebridge lane path was an unofficial right of way, but had been used as one, unchallenged for many years.

Once it had been fenced off by (I think – a double glazing firm) then action was taken. With the help of the Civic society and affidavits it was made a public right of way. This is when the gates were put on.

After a fire (not the most recent on) the council “temporary” blocked the path saying that the surrounding building was unsafe.

Is it still unsafe???

Neil 11-01-2012 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider61 (Post 961732)
Initially the Rhyddings st / Stonebridge lane path was an unofficial right of way, but had been used as one, unchallenged for many years.

Once it had been fenced off by (I think – a double glazing firm) then action was taken. With the help of the Civic society and affidavits it was made a public right of way. This is when the gates were put on.

After a fire (not the most recent on) the council “temporary” blocked the path saying that the surrounding building was unsafe.

Is it still unsafe???

Which Council do you mean - I assume LCC because HBC would have to apply to LCC for a temporary closure. I far as I can see whats left of the mill is not safe, the chimney was taken down some months ago.

Neil 11-01-2012 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 961704)
Wheres that Neil, its not the one which runs between the back of Hawthorn Avenue and Rhyddings Park is it:confused:

No its up Broadfield