Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Springhill Spot (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f76/)
-   -   Alley Gating (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f76/alley-gating-2834.html)

Caz 24-07-2003 16:54

Alley Gating

Alley gating is supposed to be starting in  the area soon. Any views?

Mick 24-07-2003 16:55

Re: Alley Gating

I think it would help but wouldent stop cats or dogs or rats well maybe some :D

Caz 24-07-2003 17:11

Might stop the rats that break into our houses!

Caz 24-07-2003 17:16

I think:

It would make properties more burglar proof.

Children would be able to play in back alleys  safely.

Discarded refuse couldn't be blamed on outsiders, and it should be easier to track down the culprits.

The scheme has worked well in other towns, some having a huge reduction in house burglaries.

tabaluga 24-07-2003 17:42

is anthing being done about the rat problem?
i heard someone had put leaflets through people's doors asking them to contact the council if they had rats in their house etc!!

Mick 24-07-2003 17:43

i have a cat you can borrow :D
but she is scared of birdes ???
shes only a small cat :D

Caz 24-07-2003 17:53

The council would be better tackling the cause of the problem, in the first place. Surely it would be cheaper to keep the area clean in the first place, rather than having to call out pest control all the time. but then that's the council for you, cut corners to save money, then pay through the nose later. (or we do) Same in every department.

If you have rats in your immediate area i would suggest a group of neighbours get together and bombard them with letters, emails, or phone calls, about getting rid of the cause. That's what I've been doing on certain issues. May not take immediate effect, but who knows, if they get enough hassle, they might wake up eventually.

The money spent on printing and distributing leaflets could have gone some way towards the cost of cleaning. I'd say they're just trying to make it look like they're doing something!

tabaluga 24-07-2003 18:03

i agree with you totally cazzer,
but the leaflets were done by a local resident who after living on the same street for 30yrs plus was fed up of grotty neighbours not looking after their propertys and used their own resources to put the leaflets together.

Caz 24-07-2003 18:06

That's a good start then! Well done to whoever that was!(thought the council had done them)

Are you in Springhill?

tabaluga 24-07-2003 18:13

i lived in springhill for 20years, now when i go there it makes me sad to see that some people dont look after their propertys or take pride in them.i know you can get this in any area though!
i think your site is great, your doing a really good job getting people to share their views/ideas.

Ernie 24-07-2003 18:50

By Alley Gating, I presume that it means putting gates across the entrance to the back alleys, would that not impede the entry of fire engines in emergencies, I think this ought to be considered.

Caz 24-07-2003 18:59

I'm assuming that would have been taken into consideration. Maybe some kind of master key? Don't know. might make some enquiries about that, I'll let you know if I find out. You in Springhill Ernie?

Ernie 24-07-2003 20:10

Not in Spring Hill Cazzer, actually not in Accy, but I lived in Accrington for 41 years so I know the area quite well.  I moved to Bury 10 years ago, but we come to see friends in Accrington whenever we can, I guess my Partner can claim to be nearer Spring Hill than me, she used to live on Richmond Road, I lived down the hill in Steiner Street..

markinaccy 24-07-2003 20:44

:P
Yes I think The Ally gate will be great, until someone looses a key for the lock

Dave 25-07-2003 20:49

Hi Cazzer...

Keep up the good work... :-*