Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   How Christmas Used To Be (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/how-christmas-used-to-be-26581.html)

West Ender 06-12-2006 22:08

How Christmas Used To Be

I was born in 1943 and I have vivid memories of Christmases in the years after the war. How do you think they compare with today?

I would wake up on Christmas morning to find the stocking I'd left at the end of my bed bulging with presents from Father Christmas. The presents would be perhaps a book, a paint-box, crayons, a small mechanical toy and always an apple and an orange and a half crown (that's money to you kids). Downstairs would be the Christmas tree, which had been put up, and I had helped to decorate, the night before and under it was my "big" present - oh the joy the year I got a scooter!

When I was a bit older, from about the age of 10, we went to midnight mass at St Mary's on Christmas Eve. The male voice choir was superb in those days (anyone remember Tony Flannegan and the Henry brothers? They appeared on Opportunity Knocks in the early 60s - wonderful singers). I remember walking back to West End through the snow, it often snowed at Christmas, and then opening presents at 2 a.m. - I was too sophisticated to hang up a stocking by then.

On Christmas morning friends and relations would drop in for a glass or two. The house smelled of the turkey that was cooking in the kitchen and we'd sit down to eat it at about 2 p.m. Invariably at least one friend or relation would have stayed on and was invited to join in the feast. Succulent turkey with thick gravy, crisp roast potatoes, carrots and brussels sprouts (there were always brussels sprouts), Xmas pudding and brandy sauce; my mum was an excellent cook.

The sideboard groaned under bottles of whisky, brandy, sherry and port and there was always a large dish of nuts with the nutcrackers laid on top and a box of dates. No one ever ate dates except at Christmas when it seemed to be obligatory. Christmas night always brought more visitors and my mother spent hours in the kitchen making huge mounds of turkey-and-stuffing sandwiches and warming up mince pies. The visitors consumed great amounts of food and drink and repaid us loads of laughter and fun. We played cards and Monopoly and the grown-ups got sozzled.

Boxing day was quieter and the time to play with the new toys. There were no films on the telly, no Christmas Specials - the telly stopped broadcasting at 9 p.m. And then - it was all over. Dad was back at work on the 27th and the whole festival had lasted just 3 days.

My parents didn't spend a fortune on my brothers and me. A jumper, knitted in garish colours by a caring aunt, was the equivalent of the Designer clothes today's kids demand and a small toy meant as much to us as today's i-pods and computer games. Christmas was about friendship and family, not worldly goods, and it was magical.

jamesicus 06-12-2006 22:34

Re: How Christmas Used To Be

I am fifteen years older than you, West Ender, and so I have Christmas remembrances from the 1930s and the WW2 years. However, my memories are similar to yours and you have captured the essence of the Christmasses of those days very well -- congratultions!

In the Depression years of the early 1930s, when money was really tight, I usually got one toy from my parents (in 1936 a tin plate airplane with red and green light bulbs on the wing tips that lit up!), a boys adventure book from my combined grandparents, usually a new sixpence from my close aunties and uncles and an orange.

You are right on about the goodwill and conviviality -- we had some great family parties at our house -- and at my grandparents and uncles/aunties.

I sang in the Choir at Burnley St. Matthew's Church and my family always went to Christmas Eve service -- it was the only time of the year my father went to Church (except for Weddings and funerals).

Remember when Woolworth's used to have a Father Christmas? You got a little cheap wrapped toy from him -- "pink for girls, blue for boys".

James

cashman 06-12-2006 23:05

me only being a youth compared to you 2 (1948) i remember very similar things to west-ender,have many happy memories early 50s etc, we never had much but sure as hell had great xmas times, me mam used to pay a "club" etc to afford the grub n pressies otherwise there would have been nowt, but kids didnt realise that,did they?;)

WillowTheWhisp 07-12-2006 09:10

It amazed me how my parents managed to put the pressies in the pillowcase at the bottom of my bed (hooked over a bedknob) without me hearing anything. It never dawned on me that they filled an identical pillowcase and just sneaked in quickly and swapped them over!

grannyclaret 07-12-2006 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesicus (Post 346131)

I sang in the Choir at Burnley St. Matthew's Church and my family always went to Christmas Eve service -- it was the only time of the year my father went to Church (except for Weddings and funerals).
".

James

I went to St Matthews church all my life till moving to Cleveleys... We were married there in 1961
I loved the midnight mass on christmas eve

Billcat 07-12-2006 16:05

I was born in 1952, so most of my memories are from the late 1950s or early 60s.

Of course, we kids would wake really early, about as soon as the sky started to brighten (NJ is considerably south of the UK's latitude and the sume comes up earlier here during the winter, so figure about 7 AM, give or take). We'd all pile in on the parents, who would usually make us wait until about 8 AM - after all, they had been up late getting the toys put together, stockings stuffed, etc. Dad would go downstairs alone to investigate what Santa had brought. Invariably, he would report that thieves had broken in and stolen our stockings, the tree, etc. Big panic for small kids, an annual laugh once we caught on! Dad would bring the stockings upstairs and we would see what Santa had left us. Then downstairs for Christmas breakfast, followed by each of us taking turns opening presents.

Later, a 45-minute drive up into the country for Christmas dinner with the grandparents, singing "Over the River and Through the Woods, to Grandmother's house we go...." Ginger ale for the kids and drinks for the adults, as we gathered in the parlor to open more gifts. Often, the attendance was increased by the presence of Aunt Chris, who had the most wonderful jolly laugh, especially after a couple of drinks and lvoed having kids around on Christmas, and Aunt Elise, who was always interested in what we were reading and learning in school and Aunt Grace, who would conclude her visit by happily demanding "Take me back to my tenement." Some of these were real aunts, or older distantly-related cousins, while others were friends of my grandmothers who we widowed or never married. Despite the relatively small size of our family, we always had a good supply of "Aunts!"

Always, memories of oddly-shaped Christmas trees, as my grandfather always went up to New Hampshire and cut trees off his vacation property. These were not the tree we get today, which have been shaped and cut back to encourage a dense growth of branches and greens, but trees that grew wild, often with significant gaps or holes between branches. Dad and I often picked an over-tall tree, cut off the excess branches, drilled holes in the trunk and added these extra branches. When I go to NH for Christmas, still use these wild Balsam Pines from the property. Not the best-looking specimens, without a doubt, but the fit in with the family traditions.

Then, of course, the youngest child would get the bell from Grandma and ring us all into the dining room. Christmas dinner always included a great big roasted turkey (when I got to be a teenager, I was always drafted to move it from the roasting pan to the platter, taking great care not to drop it or cover myself with turkey drippings. Not easy with a bird that weighed 20 pounds prior to stuffing), cranberry sauce, stuffing, mashed potatoes, mom's infamous squash and carrot ring, green beans, etc. Dad always carved the bird, and noboday was allowed to ask for seconds until he'd had the chance to eat. Then, after dinner, a walk around the farm (unless there was too much snow) before returning to the table to tackle the holiday pies.

On the way home, mom would usually keep the tired gand entertained by telling us one of her many stories, "Willoughby Whale," or "How the Beavers Stopped Traffic," or "Hippopotnik" (a tale about the first hippo to go into space, just as the Russians had done with a dog on Sputnik). Fortunately, most of these stories were eventually produced as radio dramas for kids, so mom's grandkids have all been able to listen to them on recent Christmases. At home, washed up and ready for sleep, Dad would play us the record of Dylan Thomas reading "A Child's Christmas in Wales." I don't think any of us kids managed to remain awake through the end of the story.

Of course, we in the USA do not observe Boxing Day. Unless the 26th happened to fall on a Saturday, Sunday, or Monday (in which case the legal holiday for Christmas was on Monday), Dad was off to the city for work. Boxing Day, this year in Oswaldtwistle, will be something new for me!

jamesicus 08-12-2006 01:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by grannyclaret (Post 346329)
I went to St Matthews church all my life till moving to Cleveleys... We were married there in 1961
I loved the midnight mass on christmas eve

What years did you attend St. Matthew's, grannyclaret?
My mother's side of our family (Baldwin - Piccadilly Road) were long time members/attendees (I believe from the 1880s). They pulled away in the 1930s due to a dislike for the Vicar (Rev. Jones) and began attending St. Stephen's -- I attended Sunday school there from 1937 until 1944 when I returned to St. Matthew's. I occasionally sang in the choir there from about 1947 until 1950. James

KIPAX 08-12-2006 03:15

In the words of roy wood....i wish it could be christmas every day...

Billcat 08-12-2006 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIPAX (Post 346862)
In the words of roy wood....i wish it could be christmas every day...

Understand the wish. I'm not sure that I agree, as a large part of what makes Christmas so special is that it is not anything like every other day.

I do wish that the good things that the holiday season seems to being out in people - generosity, caring, good wishes to others, work for charity, hosting parties for friends, trying to find ways to please others, the emphasis on peace - would be much more a part of everyday life. So, while I personally would vote not to have it be Christmas every day, I do wish that every day people would keep more of the Christmas spirit!

West Ender 09-12-2006 14:55

And finally.............let's forget all the Winterval/Winter Holiday nonsense and get back to basics.

Happy Christmas to everyone. :)

jamesicus 09-12-2006 20:37

http://jp29.org/cal140.jpg

Merry Christmas and a Happy & Prosperous New Year to all!

ANNE 27-12-2006 23:58

When I was growing up Christmas was Christmas back then. We would go Carol singing with the Brownies a few days before. Then came the visit to Santa's grotto. In those days they were magical places to visit. it was usually Owen & Owens we would go to.
Christmas Eve us kids would go to bed at seven leaving a cup of tea and a mince pie out for Father Christmas and carrot for Rudolph. Wewould fall asleep convinsed we could hear the sleigh bells.
We never had stockings or pillowcases but would wake up to find a stocking full of plastic toys at the bottom of the bed.
At five or sooner we would creep down stairs and find our presants in little piles against the living room wall.
After Christmas dinner we would get ready to go to my nanna's for tea, after the Queen's speach of course. She would always have the same Table cloth get out her best china and glass dishes.
We would have salmon butties and triffle. Ah, those were the day's when Christmas was Christmas.
A time of Carol's, Christmas cheer and magic.

cherokee 28-12-2006 00:12

I never thought about it untill this thread but I too never heard my parents once fill my pillowcase and pop it at the bottom of the bed , and also always on top were an orange ,never got much but never did without ..but the xmas spirit were always there ..It dont seem the same these days no matter what you do tradition seems to have slipped away ...

garinda 28-12-2006 00:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Ender (Post 346125)
When I was a bit older, from about the age of 10, we went to midnight mass at St Mary's on Christmas Eve. The male voice choir was superb in those days (anyone remember Tony Flannegan and the Henry brothers? They appeared on Opportunity Knocks in the early 60s - wonderful singers).

Tony Flannegan is a friend and neighbour of mine, although he's known as Anthony nowadays, but my mum still calls him Tony too. He's still a great singer. He sang Ave Maria at a wedding I attended last year at St. Mary's, and it moved me to tears.

West Ender 28-12-2006 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 357188)
Tony Flannegan is a friend and neighbour of mine, although he's known as Anthony nowadays, but my mum still calls him Tony too. He's still a great singer. He sang Ave Maria at a wedding I attended last year at St. Mary's, and it moved me to tears.

Rindy I think this will be Tony's son, Anthony, who will now be about 55. Tony will be in his 80s now, if he's still alive. Tony's wife, Anthony's mum, was called Bernadette. She was an excellent singer too, had a lovely contralto. She had very dark, curly hair when I knew her.

Tony and the Henry brothers sang at my wedding (1962) and sang a selection from Oklahoma! while we signed the register, which the guests loved. They came to my wedding reception in Ribchester, later in the day, and entertained the guests again - free of charge - so my dad bought them an evening meal and plenty of beer. They were still there when my husband and I left for our honeymoon - and still singing.

Tom Henry had the deepest bass voice I've ever heard. If Thunder could sing, it would sing like him. His brother John was a baritone and Tony Flannegan was a brilliant tenor. Together, they were extraordinary.