Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Owd Pastimes (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/owd-pastimes-2882.html)

susie123 09-12-2011 15:04

Re: And Pastimes

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonx (Post 954743)
Did anyone knock panel pins into the top of empty cotton bobbins and then weave different coloured wool around them so it came out through the hole in the bobbin in a long cord.What you did with it after I don't remember. Maybe someone will.

Homemade version of a commercial toy called a knitting nancy, had a little face and hair painted on it

Knitting Nancy Kit - Stocking fillers up to £3

Couldn't use a cotton reel now, they're plastic!

claytonx 09-12-2011 15:06

Thanks for that Retlaw, now I remember girls at school seeing who could get the longest.

katex 09-12-2011 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 954744)
My sisters did that, stitched them into a spiral, and made table mats out of them.
Retlaw

Haha ... yes, that's the one. Sometimes used them as a sort of ribbon for tying up my ponytail.

Did the pom-pom thing too. Cut two discs out of cardboard with a hole in the middle. Thread wool through over the discs back to the hole until it was full. Then cut all the threads on the edge, tied with a piece of wool in the middle; pull through the hole and ... presto... a lovely pom-pom. :D

Make your own pom poms

claytonx 09-12-2011 15:16

There was another which comes to memory, a cardboard milk bottle top which had a hole in the middle and you wound wool round and round untill it made a thick mat you then(I think) cut the wool all around the outside of the milk bottle top tied the middle and it then made a pom pom.Easier to do than explain.

mobertol 09-12-2011 15:18

Quote:

Did anyone knock panel pins into the top of empty cotton bobbins and then weave different coloured wool around them so it came out through the hole in the bobbin in a long cord.What you did with it after I don't remember. Maybe someone will.

I can remember doing that at junior school , we also did x-stitch and sewing on felt as well as some crochet.

My favourite was making pom-poms to go on woolly hats though -mum used to get us to make those as she knitted the hats, scarves and gloves!:D

claytonx 09-12-2011 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 954748)
Haha ... yes, that's the one. Sometimes used them as a sort of ribbon for tying up my ponytail.

Did the pom-pom thing too. Cut two discs out of cardboard with a hole in the middle. Thread wool through over the discs back to the hole until it was full. Then cut all the threads on the edge, tied with a piece of wool in the middle; pull through the hole and ... presto... a lovely pom-pom. :D

Make your own pom poms

Sorry Katex same thoughts but I missed a cardboard top out

katex 09-12-2011 16:14

Re: Owd Pastimes

Mum used to make crepe flowers to put in various vases about the house. Loved helping her. They were really pretty; anything from chrysanthemums to roses.

Wonder if people still do this. Here is a link showing one type of flower; lovely, isn't it.

How To Make Crepe Paper Flowers

jaysay 09-12-2011 18:17

Quote:

Ya they used to do that at school in art class, ended up making thinks like coasters out of um

jaysay 09-12-2011 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonx (Post 954747)
Thanks for that Retlaw, now I remember girls at school seeing who could get the longest.

Ya girls have always been like that claytonx;):rolleyes::D

claytonx 09-12-2011 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 954773)
Mum used to make crepe flowers to put in various vases about the house. Loved helping her. They were really pretty; anything from chrysanthemums to roses.

Wonder if people still do this. Here is a link showing one type of flower; lovely, isn't it.

How To Make Crepe Paper Flowers

I seem to remember my auntie making flowers with plastersein (hard to spell)

Eric 09-12-2011 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 954717)
Tell me about it, I gave up after the second failure:D

Yup ... I'm a two timer as well. Should have stuck with the significant overnight relationship ... you know, the one where she takes one look at you, and then rolls over and calls you a cab.:eek:;):D:D

And don't come back with: "Eric, you're a cab";)

jaysay 10-12-2011 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 954877)
Yup ... I'm a two timer as well. Should have stuck with the significant overnight relationship ... you know, the one where she takes one look at you, and then rolls over and calls you a cab.:eek:;):D:D

And don't come back with: "Eric, you're a cab";)

Shucks, you second gussed me there Eric:D

JCB 10-12-2011 09:49

Quote:

corkwork.co.uk/ tells about it .

We also used to make two holes in tin lids , put string through them , colour the lids with differrent colours of chalk , and then make them spin round to give a nice colourful effect . We called them yo-yos , but they wern't the type you can buy in shops .

DaveinGermany 10-12-2011 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 954923)
corkwork.co.uk/ tells about it .

We also used to make two holes in tin lids , put string through them , colour the lids with differrent colours of chalk , and then make them spin round to give a nice colourful effect . We called them yo-yos , but they wern't the type you can buy in shops .

Hummers JCB, that's what they called them over Liverpool way,

"Where's our lad ?"
"E's inda jigger, playin' wid is 'ummer !" ;)

jaysay 10-12-2011 09:56

Can remember when I was young everything used to go in seasons there was the marble season, conker season, of curse cricket and football, bonfire season which started in august, in as much as collecting the wood and everything that went with it, going stealing wood from other gangs, all great fun