Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   It Was 40 Years Ago Today - The Summer Of Love (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/it-was-40-years-ago-today-the-summer-of-love-31007.html)

Wynonie Harris 25-05-2007 08:03

It Was 40 Years Ago Today - The Summer Of Love

When somebody told me recently that it was the 40th anniversary of the summer of love, I was gobsmacked. Where did all the years go? Is it really four decades since flower power, hippies, love and peace and all that stuff?

I still remember it vividly and I'm sure many other older members do too. But it must be said that flower power in Accy was not quite the same as flower power in San Francisco. One incident that sticks in my mind concerns a local hard case who had, for some unknown reason, taken a particular dislike to my mate and gave him a bit of hassle whenever he saw him up the Con. One night in that iconic summer, we were walking through the bus station, when said hard case, along with another equally tough mate came along the other way. With bus shelters on one side and the market hall wall on the other, there was no escape and we just had to carry on walking towards them with sinking hearts. As the hard guy reached my mate, his hand shot out...

...but as it did, we noticed something strange. His jacket fell open to reveal a floral shirt underneath and he grabbed hold of my mate's hand and started shaking it while uttering the classic words, "Thought I were gonna hit y'then, didn't you? Don't worry, I wouldn't hit anybody now except with a flower." With this, he wandered off with a beaming smile on his face, while we hastened to our homes to change our trousers. Obviously, his flower child conversion couldn't last, but the funny thing was, he was always very friendly towards my mate from then on and, in fact, turned out to be a sound bloke. So maybe the summer of love did some good, after all!

Mick 25-05-2007 08:27

Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today - The Summer Of Love

Make Love not War........Peace man...........:hippy: :hippy: :hippy:

accymel 25-05-2007 08:28

Eee im too young for that Wynonie hehehehehe:D

No summer of love here atm - plenty of noise tho:eek: has anyone got any ear defenders going???

garinda 25-05-2007 09:13

Who said that the drugs don't work?:D

cashman 25-05-2007 09:24

good tale wyn,which i can identify with lol, the time certainly brought about a change in me, think it was more the advent of puff,amphetamines, and dexys etc mixed with less alcohol,was a great summer the downside being lost a few mates after cos they sadly got addicted.enjoyed every min of that time. must state clearly though! i never had a FLOWERED SHIRT.:D going now to the music thread - ya got me at it.;)

WillowTheWhisp 25-05-2007 13:04

Was it really so long ago? Crikey!

Yes, I admit to having a carnation tucked behind my ear and a jangling yellow cowbell on a leather thong round my neck with flowers painted on it. The flowers were painted on the cowbell, not on my neck.
:D

grannyclaret 25-05-2007 13:11

If your going to San Fransisco ,be sure to wear some flowers in your hair .
http://www.animationplayhouse.com/girl_colors.gif

shillelagh 25-05-2007 14:20

I was born that summer so cant remember it!!!!

(I'll make Cashy feel old :D )

Mind you it is 30 years since star wars came out!!! :D

cashman 25-05-2007 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 429059)
I was born that summer so cant remember it!!!!

(I'll make Cashy feel old :D )

Mind you it is 30 years since star wars came out!!! :D

i may be old jen but i'm sure as hell happy i lived it.:D

Doug 25-05-2007 15:22

I think I missed it Man...............

cashman 27-05-2007 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 429069)
I think I missed it Man...............

where you in a retreat doug?:D

MargaretR 28-05-2007 05:32

I missed it too - was working full time - coping with a 2 yr old - moving house - all with NO HELP WHATSOEVER from an Andy Capp husband

Eric 30-05-2007 16:19

I don't know if I missed it or not ... I was stoned at the time ... I think I had fun ... wasn't there a new trinity: sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll?

West Ender 30-05-2007 21:22

I was too busy raising a 3 year old and a nearly 2 year old to really notice. Some of us just had lives to get on with. :p

cashman 02-06-2007 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 430565)
I don't know if I missed it or not ... I was stoned at the time ... I think I had fun ... wasn't there a new trinity: sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll?

still into the drugs mate, only differance i need em to survive.:D