Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Just a vague memory, but where am I. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/just-a-vague-memory-but-where-am-i-33499.html)

Doug 12-09-2007 12:58

Just a vague memory, but where am I.

It’s an infant’s school, mixed and the year is most likely 67/68. The street is like most of that era, it seems dank, long and slightly falling away down hill to the left of the school. The school is not on the street itself but behind houses, on the corner leading to the school entrance there’s a little shop selling sweets and odd & sods including “Stink Bombs” the ones in the glass vile. To the right of the school yard there is a stretch of waist land that we played on in good weather. I can’t remember where it was or who went there, just a faded memory of spending a short time there.

flashy 12-09-2007 13:49

Re: Just a vague memory, but where am I.

St Oswalds?

beechy 12-09-2007 14:21

wood nook...?

junetta 12-09-2007 18:24

Hyndburn Park Infants?

cashman 12-09-2007 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by beechy (Post 470305)
wood nook...?

thats the one i was thinking of.

Doug 13-09-2007 00:19

1 Attachment(s)
Cheers Folks...............

Wood nook as been at the back of my mind for a few months, I had a look on Mario this evening and it looks likely that it was, although I’m not 100% sure. I was living up Fern Gore at the time having just moved and was waiting for a place at Green Howarth. My dad was a bus driver and we had a MKII Jag, but I don’t remember how I got to and from school. I had to walk when I got to Green Howarth, so maybe it was the same for Wood nook. I do remember using the monkey steps a lot around that time?

I also remember going to a Catholic School slightly before this and have a hell of a time having the **** taken out of me and being bullied by the so called Christian teachers. I remember that there was a large playground that segregated the girls by a five or six foot wall. Any body got any ideas for that one.

beechy 13-09-2007 05:34

didnt know any catholic schools at that time
but do remember woodnook had a great dividing wall
in the playground

steeljack 13-09-2007 05:59

what was the infants/junior school at the bottom end of Park Rd. near Hyndburn Rd. ?

flashy 13-09-2007 07:04

could of been sacred heart or st oswalds

flashy 13-09-2007 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 470494)
what was the infants/junior school at the bottom end of Park Rd. near Hyndburn Rd. ?

that would be Hyndburn Park

panther 13-09-2007 10:46

i wouldnt have known that answer ever....i wasnt even born then!!...:p:rolleyes:

beechy 13-09-2007 11:46

hyndburn park was and is a county run school