Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Happyrentice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/happyrentice-41446.html)

jaysay 30-07-2008 11:13

Happyrentice

Just been thinking about the hotpot post and Bert99T menioned about the job he did when he first started as an Happyrentice butcher. What jobs did you get when you started work, and how were you teased as well, we've all been there and it wasn't fun at the time, but it is now when you look back. My nemesis was plugging the walls for skirting boards, and of course making the brews and going for the dinners. Anyone remember being sent for a long stand to the local hardwear store (Bridges on Church Street in my case):D then being sent back by the counter staff after about twenty minutes, you didn't half feel a "D" head:D

cashman 30-07-2008 11:25

Re: Happyrentice

my first job easter 63 was apprentice butcher at Slingers (load of Mischief) were i met Darwendosser who started same day, n we bin mates ever since.the butchers used to plauge me about me long hair,n one day got me cornered in the tin washing place, n come at me to cut it, big mistake cos i had me boning knife in me hand, the hair was never cut.:D;)

south aussie 30-07-2008 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 612661)
Just been thinking about the hotpot post and Bert99T menioned about the job he did when he first started as an Happyrentice butcher. What jobs did you get when you started work, and how were you teased as well, we've all been there and it wasn't fun at the time, but it is now when you look back. My nemesis was plugging the walls for skirting boards, and of course making the brews and going for the dinners. Anyone remember being sent for a long stand to the local hardwear store (Bridges on Church Street in my case):D then being sent back by the counter staff after about twenty minutes, you didn't half feel a "D" head:D

JT ROTHWELLS 1964

GOING TO THE PARTS STORE FOR A LONG STAND ,SHORT WEIGHT ,BUCKET OF STEAM , ETC
I MADE NEARLY AS MUTCH MONEY GOING FOR LUNCHES AS I DID IN WAGES PLUS A FREE LUNCH FROM THE FISH&CHIP SHOP&THE PIE SHOP ON CHURCH KIRK LANE

jaysay 30-07-2008 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by south aussie (Post 612685)
JT ROTHWELLS 1964

GOING TO THE PARTS STORE FOR A LONG STAND ,SHORT WEIGHT ,BUCKET OF STEAM , ETC
I MADE NEARLY AS MUTCH MONEY GOING FOR LUNCHES AS I DID IN WAGES PLUS A FREE LUNCH FROM THE FISH&CHIP SHOP&THE PIE SHOP ON CHURCH KIRK LANE

Never said there weren't any perks SA, shoooosh don't let-on on here there maybe some up-and-comming wide boys on here, let um learn their own scams:D

tosh 30-07-2008 19:03

i remember it well, brings back memories, happy days when you think back.

Bonnyboy 30-07-2008 19:23

As a young deckhand in the M.N. every Friday was firedrill day. The hose reels were out and used, all the breathing equipment and a little scenario was always made up where we had to rescue someone.

There was a particularly old set of breathing equipment, full suit thing with a great long hose attached to it and a set of bellows. Guess who got the job of wearing it every Friday…Oh how they used to laugh when they stopped pumping the bellows…gits :D

West Ender 30-07-2008 19:59

While I was waiting for my posting in the Civil Service I spent 3 months working at Boots, on Church St. in Blackburn, on the Farms and Gardens department (I don't think Boots do that any more). We sold all kinds of weird and wonderful things for farmers and I remember, in my first week, a farmer's wife coming in and asking me for "lamb's rings".

I hadn't a clue what they were and my boss, a lovely lady called Edna, was at lunch. The lady explained they were rubber bands used to castrate baby rams and proceeded to instruct me exactly how they were used and how they worked.

My biological knowledge was well developed in that job. :D

jaysay 31-07-2008 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Ender (Post 612833)
While I was waiting for my posting in the Civil Service I spent 3 months working at Boots, on Church St. in Blackburn, on the Farms and Gardens department (I don't think Boots do that any more). We sold all kinds of weird and wonderful things for farmers and I remember, in my first week, a farmer's wife coming in and asking me for "lamb's rings".

I hadn't a clue what they were and my boss, a lovely lady called Edna, was at lunch. The lady explained they were rubber bands used to castrate baby rams and proceeded to instruct me exactly how they were used and how they worked.

My biological knowledge was well developed in that job. :D

Hope it didn't give you any ideas in your private life West Ender:D

Royboy39 31-07-2008 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 612668)
my first job easter 63 was apprentice butcher at Slingers (load of Mischief) were i met Darwendosser who started same day, n we bin mates ever since.the butchers used to plauge me about me long hair,n one day got me cornered in the tin washing place, n come at me to cut it, big mistake cos i had me boning knife in me hand, the hair was never cut.:D;)

Didn't know that Cashy...........I did a stint at Slingers round about then.
Do you remember 'Little Joe' foreman driver? He was pushing his luck one day and finished hung on the back of the fridge door.
Happy Days.:):D

Ber999T 31-07-2008 13:59

Quote:

:D Thanks for mention Jaysay and got "long-stand etc" when I went to work at Platts lol. Oh the memory of being able to get to the canteen before rest of works got belled for breakdast break as our room was that far away they were allowed to send a runner for the toast etc LOL. Found loads of different routes to there :alright:.

Ber999T 31-07-2008 14:00

Quote:

:D Thanks for mention Jaysay and got "long-stand etc" when I went to work at Platts lol. Oh the memory of being able to get to the canteen before rest of works got belled for breakfast break as our room was that far away they were allowed to send a runner for the toast etc LOL. Found loads of different routes to there :alright:.

cashman 31-07-2008 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 613193)
Didn't know that Cashy...........I did a stint at Slingers round about then.
Do you remember 'Little Joe' foreman driver? He was pushing his luck one day and finished hung on the back of the fridge door.
Happy Days.:):D

nah cant think roy, ones i remember were the harrys, Hawkins, n Gorton both now gone, big jock who was always singing 4 seasons songs, brian worsick -sausage maker who i got me dog off, old stuart- master butcher who drank meths.:D boswell (stuart) who i still see occasionally, granville who later became a postman, darwendosser, blair the guy who washed the tins, jack gee - driver who i was talking too a couple of days back, and also bob, who moved up the lakes n started his own business, fred was the boning foreman n thats all i recall, oh n deena who worked in office with tom, n the marsden brothers thats me lot, n age thing.:);)

West Ender 31-07-2008 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 613108)
Hope it didn't give you any ideas in your private life West Ender:D

:D

No - I had 3 children. :p