Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Who Remembers....... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/who-remembers-42315.html)

West Ender 02-09-2008 20:55

Who Remembers.......

.......when Moscow Mill was a working cotton mill and St Mary's School was opposite - next to the T A barracks? When Stanhill Ring Spinning Mill and its chimney dominated the West End skyline? When steam trains pulled into Accrington station? When Thwaites Road was an isolated link between West End and Oswaldtwistle? When every stone-built building in Accrington was jet black from industrial pollution? When Boots and Woolworth's had counters with girls behind them taking the money? When nearly every street corner had a shop? When Accrington market was, mostly, in the open air and a pair of "nylons" cost 1/11d? When trams went from Blackburn to Church Commercial and the pantographs had to be changed over by the driver or conductor with a very long pole? When barges full of coal still worked the Leeds-Liverpool canal?

Well you must be bloody old then, like me. :D

Gayle 02-09-2008 21:12

Re: Who Remembers.......

I was surprised when I started looking into it that St Mary's had only just moved when I went there - I didn't realise how new it was when I was there.

Lilly 02-09-2008 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Ender (Post 626440)
.......when Moscow Mill was a working cotton mill and St Mary's School was opposite - next to the T A barracks? When Stanhill Ring Spinning Mill and its chimney dominated the West End skyline? When steam trains pulled into Accrington station? When Thwaites Road was an isolated link between West End and Oswaldtwistle? When every stone-built building in Accrington was jet black from industrial pollution? When Boots and Woolworth's had counters with girls behind them taking the money? When nearly every street corner had a shop? When Accrington market was, mostly, in the open air and a pair of "nylons" cost 1/11d? When trams went from Blackburn to Church Commercial and the pantographs had to be changed over by the driver or conductor with a very long pole? When barges full of coal still worked the Leeds-Liverpool canal?

Sorry, Westender. I don't remember any of that.

You've made me feel quite young now, thanks.:D

cashman 02-09-2008 21:21

theres only 1 thing on it i can't remember n thats cos i lived in accy when young.:D

Royboy39 02-09-2008 23:00

Quote:

I am....I remember all of that...mixed, mild and bitter cost 1/10p 1/11p and two bob a pint....that is 8p, 9p and 10p...in today's Micky mouse money....5 gallons of petrol for £1....The economy now is worse than I'ts ever been.....The pound is taking a severe bashing against the Euro...thanks to the rantings of Darling...which makes my pension 20% less than what it was............and we complain, but no-one takes a blind bit of notice. ;)

Neil 02-09-2008 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 626470)
The pound is taking a severe bashing against the Euro...thanks to the rantings of Darling...which makes my pension 20% less than what it was............

You made your sun lounger now you will have to lie in the sun on it :rolleyes::D

You could always move back to the UK and get a 20% increase in your pension.

steeljack 02-09-2008 23:18

Quote:

.......When Boots and Woolworth's had counters with girls behind them taking the money?
. :D

Seem to remember Woolworths and Boots putting their best looking girls on the cosmetics counters , ;) ;)

cashman 02-09-2008 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 626476)
Seem to remember Woolworths and Boots putting their best looking girls on the cosmetics counters , ;) ;)

ya just reminded me of one i used to go out with in blackburn woolies (cosmetics) mate so i dispute that.:D;)

Royboy39 02-09-2008 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 626473)
You made your sun lounger now you will have to lie in the sun on it :rolleyes::D

You could always move back to the UK and get a 20% increase in your pension.

Not on your nelly............If I moved back to the UK I would be subjected to all all sorts of hidden extras....like Council Tax,,,,TV Licence...Water Rates.....wanting to know what I was doing 24/7....My sun lounger has been in action today 30 degrees....that is bloody hot.
I can enjoy a smoke in the bars and dont have to pander to anyone.
I complain..as is my right..but I am happy with my lot...I have a flat overlooking the Med and wake up in the morning to constant sunshine.
What is your experience of waking up in Ossy?:p

Neil 03-09-2008 00:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 626479)
What is your experience of waking up in Ossy?:p

Ossy is fine mate and just about far enough from Darwen :D

pipinfort 03-09-2008 20:38

Quote:

Errrrr NO.............sorry:)

panther 06-09-2008 18:33

I remember when woollies used to be a L shape and have exits where farm foods is now :D

emamum 06-09-2008 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 627791)
I remember when woollies used to be a L shape and have exits where farm foods is now :D

lol, deja vu....

kitweman 06-09-2008 19:11

Went to St Mary's school when it was on Moscow Mill Street. I remember Mr Vandome a s the headmaster ( One of the best I ever had). Used to run to Accy station to try and see the "Namer " at about 5.30. Beer at at about 2/- a pint at the Tanpits Inn at Church. Many more memories. Happy days!!

WillowTheWhisp 06-09-2008 20:06

I knew Mr. Vandome as a bank customer. Really nice man.

I remember Woollies before it was on Broadway, those counter which had the servers in the middle. Does anybody else remember the peanut roasting machine they had? Mmmm hot roasted salted peanuts in a paper bag with all the grease coming through the paper onto your hands! :D