Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Playing Out (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/playing-out-45118.html)

MRWOO 23-01-2009 02:26

Playing Out

Just thought id share this memory that keeps flashing in my ead. Playing out when i was a kid down the "planny" "plantation" or as its now known Foxhill bank nature reserve. I remember goin out about 10 in the mornin and gettin screamed at to come in about 8pm thats about 10 hours , no xbox, no playstation, no tv etc just a rope swing some mud some water and lots of big sticks and stuff. Why cant kids do that these days instead of spending all day skinning up and staring at a tv screen im now off to bed before i pass out:hidewall:

south aussie 23-01-2009 08:57

Re: Playing Out

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRWOO (Post 671555)
Just thought id share this memory that keeps flashing in my ead. Playing out when i was a kid down the "planny" "plantation" or as its now known Foxhill bank nature reserve. I remember goin out about 10 in the mornin and gettin screamed at to come in about 8pm thats about 10 hours , no xbox, no playstation, no tv etc just a rope swing some mud some water and lots of big sticks and stuff. Why cant kids do that these days instead of spending all day skinning up and staring at a tv screen im now off to bed before i pass out:hidewall:

Did BILL DASH ever catch you on the lodge.

jaysay 23-01-2009 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by south aussie (Post 671577)
Did BILL DASH ever catch you on the lodge.

Well he caught me on more than one occasion, it was always a case of Bill, dash:D

south aussie 23-01-2009 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 671618)
Well he caught me on more than one occasion, it was always a case of Bill, dash:D

Was he the official water baillif or just a pain in the bum?

Puffing Billy 23-01-2009 11:58

Yes we used to run away but the kids of today would not. They would put two fingers up and say " You cant touch me. F off"

south aussie 23-01-2009 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 671618)

Iwent to school [Rhyddings] with his grand son Harry Sumner [Harry Muck].

cashman 23-01-2009 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by south aussie (Post 671653)
Iwent to school [Rhyddings] with his grand son Harry Sumner [Harry Muck].

i worked with Harry fer a few years he was a moulder at "Raistricks" church, was a good supping mate fer a while.:)

magpie 23-01-2009 15:20

Kids today play out..... not heard that one: how does it work again:

emzy 23-01-2009 15:23

My 2 play out in the garden when the weathers fine :D

I used to play out, even when it was raining we used to huddle in the lobby and wait for it to stop and then were back out again (thats when we actually bothered that it was raining) Used to have to come in when the street lights came on though lol

jaysay 23-01-2009 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by south aussie (Post 671628)
Was he the official water bailiff or just a pain in the bum?

He was the official water Bailiff, he lived in a house behind the old St Mary's school on Moscow Mill St, which was owned by the water board, right at the corner of the lodge. always had a fag in his gob, he was a real character

gdm27 30-05-2009 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRWOO (Post 671555)

Used to go down there at dinner time from Rhyddings Tech as was. Do you remember that so called perv that no one actually saw, Fresh Air Freddy. Always in the bushes but had just run off! Wonder if there ever was one!

MargaretR 30-05-2009 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdm27 (Post 717836)
Used to go down there at dinner time from Rhyddings Tech as was. Do you remember that so called perv that no one actually saw, Fresh Air Freddy. Always in the bushes but had just run off! Wonder if there ever was one!

When I reported my flasher to the police in 1972, their response was 'It was probably fresh air Fred' - that was a stones throw from Foxhill Bank.

spex357 20-07-2009 09:40

I used to play down Foxhill 63/68 proper Romanie Gypsies used to camp in old horse drawn carriages, i spent a lot of time skimming slate across the water but if parents heard the Gypsies where there we wern't allowed down there.

jaysay 20-07-2009 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 717839)
When I reported my flasher to the police in 1972, their response was 'It was probably fresh air Fred' - that was a stones throw from Foxhill Bank.

Only just seen this post Margaret, I remember F. A. F. used to go Freddie hunting at nights, once bumped into to women on Haworth street Ossy they were plain cloths plod after te fresh air one:rolleyes:

sm_counsell 21-07-2009 08:45

I've only just seen this but I remember the Planny and the Flasher!
I was once walking home from the town Hall and he made an appearance, then I saw him again on Stanley st, Ossie.
My brother said I went looking for him!!
Also I daren't tell you about how the policewoman asked me to describe what I had seen (I could hear my mum giggling in the kitchen!!.)
Did they ever catch him?
Does anyone remember that old house on the Planny. I can remember that to be part of a gang(can't remember whose!) we had to be brave enough to go into it and bring some kind of proof that we'd been inside.
Bill Dash almost caught me once and I never did get into anyones's gang.
We used to go tickling carp there as well. I think they were carp, anyone remember?