Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Priestly Clough (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/priestly-clough-47540.html)

joaner3 18-09-2009 20:08

Re: Priestly Clough

Bye the way, is the old bridge still there or did they take it down? I remember there was a plaque on the side because someone got murdered there.

Retlaw 18-09-2009 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by joaner3 (Post 746082)
Bye the way, is the old bridge still there or did they take it down? I remember there was a plaque on the side because someone got murdered there.

There were two stones on the Mount St side of the bridge, I think they were removed and built into the new wall where the bridge was. Its a heck of a long time since I looked at them.

Retlaw

davidf 25-09-2009 19:58

Enjoyed looking at the postcard Retlaw, thanks for posting it.

Retlaw 25-09-2009 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by joaner3 (Post 746082)

Been going through some old Observers today for 1936, came across a story that reminded me of when I was 6 years, one day in 1935 there was one hell of a storm in Accrington and the old Woodnook Railway bridge was damaged. In February 1936 issue there is an article about the rebuilding of the New Bridge, it was built of Nori brick, whereas the old one was stone.

Those stone plaques were removed from the old bridge and built into the retaining wall on the Mount St side of the New bridge. I was going to go round there today, but got side track in the library. with other things.
Used to play up on the side where the new line came across the banking putting 1/4d & 1/2d on the track before the train came, had to stick em on wi chewing gum, vibration kept tipping them off.
Retlaw.

mickp 28-09-2009 15:08

Nelsons clough was at the end of Richmond Road. ran from fern gore to almost Ossy

gdm27 07-11-2009 13:52

Was that road that went up to the clough along Perth street nicknamed the Black Path? Does anyone remember that old barn at the top there that had a small wall around it and carved into 2 stones was a milk bottle and a milkman????

mickp 07-11-2009 14:48

CHarlesworths owned the house below Nelsons farm.Near the waterfall.The lodge you fished is shutts lodge.Farmer Nelson would never let us fish there.he put the run on use.

Atarah 07-11-2009 22:04

WHAT MURDER?

gdm27 15-01-2010 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickp (Post 761238)
CHarlesworths owned the house below Nelsons farm.Near the waterfall.The lodge you fished is shutts lodge.Farmer Nelson would never let us fish there.he put the run on use.

I remember working for him on the school holidays,never understood a word he said to me???

Retlaw 15-01-2010 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 761369)

WHAT MURDER?

I think you are refering to one of the farmers who lived up there. If I remember correctly he was always blocking rights of way and threatening people, somebody tied him to his gate and flogged him, don't know if he died or not.
Think he was called Nelson.
Retlaw.

jaysay 16-01-2010 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 778624)
I think you are refering to one of the farmers who lived up there. If I remember correctly he was always blocking rights of way and threatening people, somebody tied him to his gate and flogged him, don't know if he died or not.
Think he was called Nelson.
Retlaw.

Once came across a chap who said he used to own Nelsons Farm Retlaw, he was called Colin Nelson, lived in Gt Harwood when I knew him

MovedtoBolton 21-01-2010 19:41

Priestly Clough was alway a really special place for me. In the 60's we had picnics there, near 5 arches. In the 70's we'd skive off from Hollins and do the "jumps". this involved leaping over the brook, usually at its widest or most risky point in the name of bravado! The old railway is now a footpath accessible from Nutall St. We used to get to the clough from either the path at the southern edge of King Georges playing field or down Hill Street in Baxenden. Hollins cross country course also used to use the clough to get to Bullough Park and Miller Fold Ave area before returning to school via the riding school near the allotments in that area.

groove 23-01-2010 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 761369)

WHAT MURDER?

I read in a book on local history that when the original stone bridge was built,circa 1840??,a local girl was murdered and found nearby.The stone masons erecting the bridge etched a match-stick type picture in memorium.Unfortunately this stone was lost during re-building.Pretty sure theres a pic in maybe Accy Acclaimed or one of Bob Dobsons books.The stone commemerating re-building is still there near to the cycle path entrance but is extremely worn and bare legible.GROOVE

Doug 23-01-2010 13:11

Old Farmer Nelson never had a problem with us fishing; and there was loads of us from Millerfold, he did have a problem with dogs which he would shoot on site; He lived on Willows Lane during the late 60s early 70s.

Retlaw 23-01-2010 13:26

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by groove (Post 781507)
I read in a book on local history that when the original stone bridge was built,circa 1840??,a local girl was murdered and found nearby.The stone masons erecting the bridge etched a match-stick type picture in memorium.Unfortunately this stone was lost during re-building.Pretty sure theres a pic in maybe Accy Acclaimed or one of Bob Dobsons books.The stone commemerating re-building is still there near to the cycle path entrance but is extremely worn and bare legible.GROOVE

Do you men these two stones, I've posted them before.
The original stone bridge was built 1846

Retlaw.