Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Winter of 1963 (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/winter-of-1963-a-47645.html)

gdm27 30-05-2009 23:17

Winter of 1963

I was talking to my wife today about Winters when we were kids. The best by far was 1963. I tell the lie that it started in November and snowed every day until the beginning of June!!!! Well it felt like that! I'm sure there are lots of you who remember it or have been told stories about it by your folks! I remember walking all around the top road before the gritter had got to it. Up Willows lane from Pendle St. all the way through Green Howarth, all the way round to Ossy, fantastic, the sky was crystal clear, no sound except us kids!!! Happy cold days!! :D

MargaretR 30-05-2009 23:31

Re: Winter of 1963

Winter of 1962–1963 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remember - had an outside loo and a steep backyard - hubby carrying chamberpot slipped and drenched himself :D

south aussie 31-05-2009 04:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 717838)
Winter of 1962–1963 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remember - had an outside loo and a steep backyard - hubby carrying chamberpot slipped and drenched himself :D

I don,t think Fresh Air Freddy would be OUT in that weather!:eek:

jaysay 31-05-2009 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by south aussie (Post 717848)
I don,t think Fresh Air Freddy would be OUT in that weather!:eek:

Fresh Air Freddy the Phantom Flasher:D quite a guy was our Freddy, he had the police on the hop alright, can remember two plain cloths police women walking the streets of Ossy trying to catch this chap, still can't remember if they ever did catch him or not:rolleyes:

jaysay 31-05-2009 09:10

I remember the winter of 63, was my first when I left school, remember working on the new shops on Union Street Accy, my first job every morning was to make a fire so that all the lads could have a warm, it was real tatas that winter, defiantly 3 sweaters time:D

south aussie 31-05-2009 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 717868)
Fresh Air Freddy the Phantom Flasher:D quite a guy was our Freddy, he had the police on the hop alright, can remember two plain cloths police women walking the streets of Ossy trying to catch this chap, still can't remember if they ever did catch him or not:rolleyes:

Rumour had it that he flashed an old dear,who remarked that,

IT LOOKED LIKE A PENIS, ONLY SMALLER.

Maybe he gave it away after that;)

joan walsh 05-07-2009 00:11

I remember the winter of 1963 very well. I was expecting my first child and while everybody else seemed to be freezing I was lovely and warm. We used to go on walks round the dunkenhalgh , me as big as a house and my hubby trying to stop me from falling. Lovely times

Tony Ireland 05-07-2009 05:16

1963 I was an apprentice plumber and I spent 3 months repairing lead pipes in those outside loo's was that a miss spent youth

The Blue Rose 05-07-2009 07:10

I remember that winter , tho not till February 64 when I returned from Cyprus. Out of the warm into the white world of the UK. After being away for 2 1/2 years in the sunshine, was a shock to my system and thought I would never be warm again !!My kids loved it despite being made to wear coats and boots , hats etc. Nothing like pelting dad and grand dad with snowballs for them !

West Ender 05-07-2009 20:40

In 1963 the 7.26 a.m. steam train from Accrington to Bury (then Manchester) came to a standstill just about every morning for 2 months. It was usually about Ramsbottom, nothing but banks of snow on either side of the track, like being in a white tunnel. It might be anything from 15 minutes to two hours and the carriages were never heated. :(

Not as bad as 1947 when there was a massive shortage of coal as well as the bad snow and there were regular power cuts. I was only 4, though, so I didn't have to catch trains then. :D

cashman 22-11-2010 19:39

was n apprentice butcher in 63, Slingers at Load Of Mischief, the late Harry Hawkins learnt me to play poker, along wi Bob Fletcher who is now a well known lakeland artist, was a pig of a winter, me n Darwendosser used to go to Chans Chippy every friday Teatime fer fish n chips fer all the butchers, who worked while 8-00, that was yer overtime.:( so as well as freezing ya got sod all fer it.:D

Retlaw 22-11-2010 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 863544)
was n apprentice butcher in 63, Slingers at Load Of Mischief, the late Harry Hawkins learnt me to play poker, along wi Bob Fletcher who is now a well known lakeland artist, was a pig of a winter, me n Darwendosser used to go to Chans Chippy every friday Teatime fer fish n chips fer all the butchers, who worked while 8-00, that was yer overtime.:( so as well as freezing ya got sod all fer it.:D

I knew a Harry Hawkins, went to Woodnook Council School, was a butcher at Kemp & Murrays on the corner of Wellington St.

Retlaw.

cashman 22-11-2010 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 863564)
I knew a Harry Hawkins, went to Woodnook Council School, was a butcher at Kemp & Murrays on the corner of Wellington St.

Retlaw.

If he was a rather large fellow, ginger hair wi a large alcohol intake, twas the same one, loved the geezer.:D

Retlaw 22-11-2010 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 863573)
If he was a rather large fellow, ginger hair wi a large alcohol intake, twas the same one, loved the geezer.:D

Thats him.

Retlaw

jaysay 23-11-2010 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 863544)
was n apprentice butcher in 63, Slingers at Load Of Mischief, the late Harry Hawkins learnt me to play poker, along with Bob Fletcher who is now a well known lakeland artist, was a pig of a winter, me n Darwendosser used to go to Chans Chippy every friday Teatime fer fish n chips fer all the butchers, who worked while 8-00, that was yer overtime.:( so as well as freezing ya got sod all fer it.:D

That was my first winter in the building trade was working on the new Shops on Union Street in Accy, the main contractors were Mullen and Durkin from Dingle Land and Townley's from Accy did all the joinery, was my task first thing to light the fire in an oil drum so it would be warm for brew time:D