Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   17 Hornby St Ossy (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/17-hornby-st-ossy-50997.html)

Barrie Yates 26-12-2009 16:46

17 Hornby St Ossy

MargaretR I thought this should have it's own thread

"I was born at 17 Hornby St and lived there for 18 yrs (1942 - 1961)
My parents bought that house early in their marriage in mid '30s I think, and lived there until my dad retired.
Small world isn't it?:D"

I don't remember it of course. I arrived very late in life for them and we lived on Countess St then. Before then thay lived on Rawson Avenue, but I have no idea of the number. I had a brother - 16 years older than I - Derek Yates, AGS, H&B Drawing Office, Pioneer Drawing office and then South Wales and the world with BNS.
We must be of a similar generation though.

Bob Dobson 26-12-2009 18:58

Re: 17 Hornby St Ossy

I have looked at Barrett's Directory, 1951 and found G.Yates, labourer, at 16 Countess St.This was on the town centre (Portland St?) side of Tremelln St. Not far from the tuck shop beloved of grammar school boys on teir way to the rec to play foootball and cricket. If your elder brother is still alive at 86, then you should report this to the Secretary of the AGSOBs.

garinda 27-12-2009 00:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 772354)
MargaretR I thought this should have it's own thread

"I was born at 17 Hornby St and lived there for 18 yrs (1942 - 1961)
My parents bought that house early in their marriage in mid '30s I think, and lived there until my dad retired.
Small world isn't it?:D"

I don't remember it of course. I arrived very late in life for them and we lived on Countess St then. Before then thay lived on Rawson Avenue, but I have no idea of the number. I had a brother - 16 years older than I - Derek Yates, AGS, H&B Drawing Office, Pioneer Drawing office and then South Wales and the world with BNS.
We must be of a similar generation though.

If you knew Margaret, you'd probably also know my dad. My grandparents lived at number six, and my dad was born the same year as yourself and Margret.

Small world.:D

Barrie Yates 27-12-2009 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 772389)
I have looked at Barrett's Directory, 1951 and found G.Yates, labourer, at 16 Countess St.This was on the town centre (Portland St?) side of Tremelln St. Not far from the tuck shop beloved of grammar school boys on teir way to the rec to play foootball and cricket. If your elder brother is still alive at 86, then you should report this to the Secretary of the AGSOBs.

In '51 Bob, we lived at 52 Lonsdale St. My Brother passed away some 19 years ago. The only thing i know of the house on Countess St was that it was at the Church end near the bottom of Hyndburn St

Bob Dobson 27-12-2009 17:37

In that case , ignore my previous. You were already in Lonsdale St by the time I got to the Grammar school, otherwise, I would have taken your paper. Yours was one of the very last houses in Countess St. In Persia st, around the corner, at 37 was a Yates family. Roy and Norman were the sons.I think Mr Yates was a painter & decorator.